PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the game, in comparison to FFVI. Really.

Ishin Ookami
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
the title says it all. I've never played FFV and am wondering if it's really worth picking up, or is it just one long pointless level grind from beginning to end with the job system attached.

Flying Mullet
06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
It's fun as far as playing around with the different jobs and abilities, but the story is pretty shallow, especially if you're coming from FFVI.

Karellen
06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
As long as you don't expect a fantastic story, the game is pretty neat. The characters are paper thin and the plot is no where near as engaging as its direct predecessors or sucessor but the Job system is probably the best in the main series (The tactics games are somewhat superior still), the difficulty is decent and it's generally mindless fun.

I'm not a great fan, but it's mildly amusing. It's no where near as good as FFVI though. If you are expecting anything even remotely similar, turn back now.

Shin Gouken
06-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Don't listen to anyone who tells you there is no depth in the story or characters. It's there, but you may need to work harder to find depth in the story, and the characters depth can be subtle and easily missed. In fact, i personally feel the story is often too much in RPG's and too much character development which is forced on you ruins it, FFV is a relief in this aspect.

There is generally a lighter mood for the majority of the game. Some characters you will love and get attached to which can lead to some emotional scenes

The job system means you dont need to level at all really (well... if you know what your doing) Its extremely fun to make a black mage hit with the physical strength of a monk, or make a dragoon knight who can summon. Mixing job abilities makes this game not just great, but special.

Dr. Acula
06-16-2007, 02:04 AM
The storyline is simpler than FF6's, and there are far less characters (no switching characters whenever you feel like it:() But luckily the characters you DO get you'll become attached to. The job system is purely awesome. Honestly, a Knight with Black Magic? It's like being in class-system heaven! You get to customize your characters quite a bit with this job system (attaching abilities to other jobs!:love: ), making each character unique.
Though it isn't as fun as FF6 (I have to admit that) it is still a very fun, great game to play.

Peter_20
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Think about it this way:

You can have a Knight with two swords in both hands
You can have a Thief with Time Magic
You can have a Red Mage dealing great damage with his bare hands
You can have your whole party learn Blue Magics

This, plus MUCH, MUCH MORE = instant win! :thumb:

rubah
06-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I think the story is pretty cute when you get used to it. The characters don't get terribly developed, but if you just kinda ice that over with your own characterizations and how they look in the different job classes, it gets more fun xD

It definitely isn't a level grind. In fact, I'd say that when you start using the jobs that aren't knight monk white mage black mage, it gets really fun. Find one that they look cute in and develop a battle strategy around that. It's seriously great.

(I have a soft spot for this game, but it really is wonderful <3)

The black mage
06-16-2007, 06:30 PM
No ones told him about gillmesh
Basicaly every thing Shin Gouken said.
If you get it, make sure you gat the GBA version.

Elpizo
06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Compared to VI? I'd rate V higher. A LOT higher. The story is great and underrated. Yes, you can't play with many characters. Like that's a problem. Character development may not be that great, but is that needed when each of the playable characters has a strong character of itself straight from the beginning? Is character develoment really needed when every character in this game is just himself? The story has touching scenes, epic scenes just like the rest of the series. Very underrated, I find it.

But the gameplay of V is great of course, and it has briliant (and underrated) music as well.

Well... For me V will always remain the best of the first 6 FF games. It has the best "Lightwarriors chosen by the Crystals" story, the best death-scene in the entire series, great gameplay and great music as well. How could one possibly not like such a game, that combines everything that makes FF great?

Wolf Kanno
06-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Though I love VI with a passion, V is another of my favorites (seriously, I feel Square hit their peak with this series during the Super Famicon days).

The story isn't that shallow like others have said. There is alot of wonderful themes and symbolism in this game if you look at it closely. If V had an official theme, it would most likely be "inheritance". The world is vast, fun to explore, and their are many optional quests (and I'm not talking about the stuff added to the GBA version.)

The game has a fine cast of charaters and introduces us to the iconic Gilgamesh. Though I agree if you are looking for the strongest version of this game storywise, play the GBA version as the anthology version has a horrible translation and localization...

I won't bother with the gameplay as others have really stated it better.
I would definetly recommend it to anyone who enjoys good games.

Ender
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
To me, FFV is quintessential Final Fantasy. It has all the gameplay aspects that can typically be thought to make an RPG a Final Fantasy game, in their most accessible form--levels, abilities that you can "equip" learned by accumulating AP, black, white, and blue magic (not to mention red!, sword, and time), summons, a couple "super bosses," and a pseudo-multi-stage final boss battle.

Storywise it's not overly complex, but it also unites many of the common storytelling elements in the series: playable character(s) of lost/secret origins/heritage, a villain who acts as a 'front' for the true villain, the world being upended by "cosmic" powers, crystals and the Void, etc.

Basically, if we have one FF to put in a time capsule to be opened in ten thousand years to give those future people an idea what FF was all about, it should be FFV. :D

darksword12
06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
I really, really detest the esper system, so this is much better, in my opinion. It's a biased opinion, but I still like the game itself. The customization potential is immense. I've always injoyed the job system.

However, due to my unorthodox playing style, I tend to require a lot more fighting, simply for the gil I use.

Even still, it's a great game, not to mention humorous at times.

eestlinc
06-21-2007, 09:12 AM
V is very different from VI in many ways. While VI has an operatic flow and development, with strong drama and plots twists, V just has the design and feel of a great game. The equipment and skill assignments are much more complex and harder to master than in VI. The gameplay in V is just so good that it's a pleaure and a challenge the play through it many times. I felt like VI was made easy to let you flow through the storyline better and at a good pace. V is a game to savor at all points.

06-22-2007, 01:56 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "pure, unadulterated crap" (let's say, ohhhh, FF II), and 10 being "if God were a game developer, this is the game God would make" (let's say, yes, FF VI), then FFV is a 9.99.

It is very tough to decide between VI and V for me. If you're into the whole characters/story thing, VI is better (which isn't to say the characters and story of V are bad). If you're into customizing your characters, having infinite replayability, and having more of a challenge, V is better.

Psychotic
06-22-2007, 11:15 PM
VI is a better story, V is a better game.

LunarWeaver
06-23-2007, 10:12 AM
The last time I got them both as ROMs, I beat VI and fell asleep on my desk playing V, so I guess that means VI > V for me. :rock:

JonyH
06-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Or maybe it's cos you'd just played through VI in one sitting :p

Either way. V is one of my favs. Play it, then play it again.

My first playthrough was in Japanese - I loved it so much I played it in English again. :D

Bolivar
06-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Comparing it to VI, I would say the main difference is that V is more adventure-based whereas VI is driven by its story.

I wouldn't say the characters are any more shallow than VI's. If you consider having 1-2 sidequests character development (as in VI) then the characters are developed here.

Story-wise VI has it beat, although V takes a different approach, it's all fantasy.

Gameplay-wise I wouldn't compare them, V stands over VI with a somewhat flexible job system.

Music is great in this game, definately rivaling VI, i think this is where Uematsu started getting really good, Clash on the Big Bridge, Reminiscence, songs like those'll stay with you.

Personally I rate this game higher than VI, as I lean more towards the adventure-based FF's, but if you're just looking for a really good SNES RPG this may be for you.

Brennan
06-25-2007, 12:47 AM
:) = Better :( =Worse

Story:
V: :( VI: :)
Characters:
V: :) VI: :) (Means the same)
Plot:
Enemies:
V: :) VI: :)
Uniqeness:
Overall:

But FFV is still a great game.

arcanedude34
06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I love both games pretty equally. When I get bored with the endless text in FFVI, it's fun to switch over to V and mix and match jobs and skills. Then, after playing Job Class God for a while, it's fun to switch back to the awesome plotliness on VI. The games actually compliment each other pretty decently.

Slade
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I love both but I love FFV just that little bit more. I had such a great time playing that game *cue flashback*
Definatly worth your time ;)

Sefie1999AD
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm actually one of the few people who prefer FFV to FFVI. My opinion is somewhat biased, though, since I think FFV is greatly underrated while FFVI is overrated (IMHO). So how does Final Fantasy V do in comparison to FFVI? In terms of storyline, FFVI is better. However, FFV's story is by no means bad. The game actually has a pretty good storyline, and I noticed on my 2nd time through the game how detailed the storyline actually is, and it also has some depth.

FFVI also has more characters and character development, though this doesn't mean FFV's characters are bad. I still managed to grow attached to FFV's characters, and the side characters (Cid, Mid, King Tycoon, Zeza, Kelga etc) are all enjoyable. Gilgamesh is probably my favorite side villain in the FF series (and his theme song is great!). Exdeath is quite a cliched villain with lines such as "Fools! Fwahahaha!", but at least you can consider him a villain that you can hate. I could never take Kefka seriously. "Wop wop wop wop wop wop wop." Stoopid clown. :p

FFV's music is great. It isn't as amazing as FFVI's, but it's very beautiful, and the songs work very well in the scenes where they are played. "Nostalgia" (the theme for death scenes) is a really heartbreaking song. But I saved the best for last: IMHO, FFV has the most addictive gameplay and one of the best battle systems in the series, if not the best. The Job/Ability system is just so much fun, and it's great to combine different classes and abilities and create a party of your choice. I think the battle system was something where FFVI failed to impress me, but I thought FFV's was really awesome.

As for other things, FFV has the most advanced "Light Warriors trying to save the crystals" story. This game is also the last FF for a while to take place in a medieval fantasy world (FFVI-VIII worlds had more technology, and we had to wait until FFIX to see a medieval fantasy world again). It's definitely an old-school FF. If you're playing the GBA version, it supposedly has a great script with loads of funny moments, not to mention there's a bonus dungeon and some new classes.

Compared to VI? I'd rate V higher. A LOT higher. The story is great and underrated. Yes, you can't play with many characters. Like that's a problem. Character development may not be that great, but is that needed when each of the playable characters has a strong character of itself straight from the beginning? Is character develoment really needed when every character in this game is just himself? The story has touching scenes, epic scenes just like the rest of the series. Very underrated, I find it.

But the gameplay of V is great of course, and it has briliant (and underrated) music as well.

Well... For me V will always remain the best of the first 6 FF games. It has the best "Lightwarriors chosen by the Crystals" story, the best death-scene in the entire series, great gameplay and great music as well. How could one possibly not like such a game, that combines everything that makes FF great?

Thank you. This actually sums up my point pretty well. :)

scrumpleberry
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
FFVI is by far my favourite, and always will be. But yeah, V is a pretty fun game. I like the characters, none of them are annoying.

Exdeath is quite a cliched villain with lines such as "Fools! Fwahahaha!", but at least you can consider him a villain that you can hate. I could never take Kefka seriously. "Wop wop wop wop wop wop wop." Stoopid clown. :p

i nearly CHOKED i laughed so hard

wopwopwopwopwopwop

Rebel40000
09-19-2007, 03:36 AM
FFV has a superior battle system than FFIV and VI, IMO. It's like VI, only faster. So instead of waiting for that blasted bar to fill up forever, it happens and it's done. No second bar to fill up like FFIV either, so it's boom, boom, done. Then there's the job system, of course.

Also, despite what people say, FFV does have some really good characters. Granted, FFVI may have some great character development (which is one thing I love about the game), but FFV doesn't need it. As mentioned before, the characters already have personalities, so there is nothing to develop. Besides... in the whole game you never go over four members in your party (because of the job system), so they get plenty of attention, unlike certain characters in FFVI.

Crossblades
09-26-2007, 04:31 AM

Story:
Characters:
Plot:
Enemies:
Uniqeness:
Overall:

I feel the same way

Kenshin IV
09-30-2007, 07:05 AM
It's the lesser of the SNES Final Fantasy's, but more for it's comparison to Four than to Six. Four was well ahead of it's time and Five felt like a small step back.

The Job System however, is always win.

cid highwind
11-09-2007, 08:49 AM
ffv =best sidekick for last boss(gilgamesh) best song(clash on the big bridge best battle system(job system) besdt doomsday villain(ne exdeath /enuo)

Levian
11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
FFV I enjoyed more. FFVI has a better story, but story really isn't that important to me in games. It's a nice bonus, though.

Heath
11-14-2007, 12:30 PM
It's much harder to compare the two games than you'd think. I've generally been under the impression that people quite substantially preferred VI to V, but I've never been quite able to make my mind up, though I tended to lean towards V.

In terms of story and character development, I'm going to go with the consensus and say that VI is a pretty obvious winner. That's not to say that V's plot was particularly bad just it doesn't stand out as much and isn't as good as that of VI. The characters in VI don't all get a bucketload of development, but those that do (Locke, Celes, etc) really make the game more interesting. The music in both are rather excellent. I don't think I could pick between the two in terms of music, actually. They've both some really excellent pieces such as Clash on the Big Bridge from V and Dancing Mad from VI.

Hard to pick, but I'd say V just edges it for me because, as has been said, it's more fun to play. Love the class system.

Necronopticous
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Final Fantasy V is a fantastic game, but it just can't hold a candle to Final Fantasy VI in any way.

Not many games can.

Marshall Banana
11-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I frequently think of playing FFV, but I can't even force myself to play through FFVI. That speaks volumes! Yes, sir! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmzqEm8CGos) http://www.JEREMYTIME/mondatime/hiryuu.gif

ScottNUMBERS
11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
The job system.

You don't need any more reasons to make the game worth buying.

cloud21zidane16
11-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Story:
Characters:
Plot:
Enemies:
Uniqeness:
Overall:

I feel the same way

So do i. V is great but not when compared to VI

Ciretho
11-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I played through VI once, but played through V roughly 5 times (No exaggeration). 'nuff said

Slothy
11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
FFV has the best battle system of any game in the series. That said, I still enjoyed VI's battle system, and since I like to have a good story and characters, and some actual development in those aspects along the way I have to give the nod to FFVI. Regardless of what others may have said, the story and characters in V (though enjoyable) are incredibly shallow and cliched. Maybe not as much so as many think, but nothing that's even remotely on the level of FFVI, or even FFIV. If the battle system weren't so damn enjoyable, I'd have never made it the whole way through.

Unstoppable Pig
07-20-2008, 08:10 AM
I used to dislike V but once I started to watch videos from GBA-version in Youtube and I thought, wow it was a lot better than I remembered and now few days I got my own GBA version and today I started to play and new translation brings characters more alive.

VI is great game but V is shines in same areas where VI is great but does not exceed VI in any field except V is harder which is a big plus. VI is otherwise god but too easy, luckily V patches this being hard with superbosses.

So in a scale 1-100 and VI being round 100, V grade is 93.

Rase
07-21-2008, 06:49 AM
I tried to play through V and got like three hours in and just kinda petered out onf it. I've beaten VI about seven times overall. 'nuff said (as they say).

Yar
07-21-2008, 07:01 AM
I tried to play through V and got like three hours in and just kinda petered out onf it. I've beaten VI about seven times overall. 'nuff said (as they say).

I'd strongly recommend trying it again. :)

The game starts out rather slowly, but picks up. Once you get quite a few jobs then the real customization comes into play.

Lawr
07-21-2008, 08:12 AM
The Class System is ace.