PDA

View Full Version : Help meh!

Jessweeee♪
06-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Whenver I play my copy of FFVIII on the PS1 it freezes on a couple of scenes on Disc 1 and 2. (It's fine on the PS2, but I can't use it right now :P)

Is there some sort of fancy trick, like putting pennies on the PS1 or opening and closing it eighty times that'll skip the scene?

Sword
06-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Get a new copy. Or get a PS3 and download it :P

Tallulah
06-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Get your PS2 back ASAP! D:

This is a very common problem. I've seen loads of threads on many different forums about this. Try and clean the disc, or have the disc and/or PS looked at.

Playstation repairs shouldn't be too steep. Two years ago my PS2 was only £30 to repair after I dropped it and the drawer wouldn't open. :cry:

Jessweeee♪
06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
Actually...the thing with the PS2 is that it's my little brothers. He can be a stingy bastard. I thought it would be stupid to have two PS2s in the house just because he doesn't know how to share, so I got me a super cheap PS1.

I tried cleaning the discs, and although they didn't slow down in all of the FMV sequences anymore, they still freeze in the same places DX

Laddy
06-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Use glass cleanser and a cloth on it.

Jessweeee♪
06-21-2007, 07:17 AM

Have you tried it yourself? I don't want to try anything like that unless I know for sure.

eestlinc
06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
generally a bad idea to use window cleaner on a disc.

Laddy
06-21-2007, 08:27 PM

Have you tried it yourself? I don't want to try anything like that unless I know for sure.Yes it cleans off the dust and fingerprints. It works quite well, actually. :D

Jessweeee♪
06-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Alright, I might just try that :P

eestlinc
06-22-2007, 01:51 AM
From here (http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/cleaning_computer_devices.asp):

CD & DVD Discs
Dirty media can cause errors or make the media not work at all. You can remove fingerprints and dirt by lightly rubbing with a clean lint-free cloth. Cotton is the best material to use. You need to wipe starting at the middle of the disc and work your way to the outer edge. Never wipe in the direction of the tracks (the lines running around the disc). If the dirt is harder to remove, like dried on liquids for example, use water or a spot of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to clean it. You can also purchase disc cleaning kits. Never use a general all-purpose cleaner on a disc.

rubah
06-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Use toothpaste. the gritty kind (4srs)

escobert
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
spit works well also. srsly. or atleast it does on CDs

Sword
06-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Just I damp cloth is what I'd use. My copy of FF8 also freezes at sertain points. somestimes I may have to wait half an hour to get through an FMV. And I can't watch the ending at all. But thats because of scratches and a scratch filler solution doesn't seem to work on it. I think we desperately need a re-release because this game is rediculously rare.

Hambone
06-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Not NEARLY as rare as FFVII. You can buy FFVIII new on Amazon.com in the U.S for $19.99. They have plenty in stock. What we need is a FFVII re-release.

Jesse, I really don't know of any methods that haven't already been mentioned. My apologies.