PDA

View Full Version : Wooh! I was one of the first!

tan
06-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Has there ever been a really really popular video game that you were one of the first to play without being referred to it (either by friends or reviews)? As in, you went shopping for a video game one day, saw that game, thought it would be good, then everyone just started going crazy over it.

I don't think I was one of the first to play Pokemon Blue, but it was one of my first Gameboy Color games. I wasn't really referred to it at all; I think it just came in the Gameboy Color box so I played it. Or, maybe my mom just got it for me. I don't really remember; this was a long time ago. But, yeah. I think that was back when Pokemon was still just starting to get popular.

What about you guys?

Odaisé Gaelach
06-16-2007, 01:27 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't usually get games when they're first released. Usually wait for about six months until I get it.

The only two exceptions to this rule are Pokémon Gold/Silver (which is probably the only game I got on its release date) and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (which I just couldn't find in March. Or April. It wasn't until the end of May that I bought it).

Rocket Edge
06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Final Fantasy VIII.

PhoenixAsh
06-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Pretty sure I got Spider-Man 2 the day it came out... Not really that quick with stuff... I first played Donkey Kong and Mario Kart on the SNES in 2004.

Madame Adequate
06-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Suikoden. I rented it a day or two after the rental place got it, just 'cause it looked interesting - no hype, no talk of it at all in fact, until a couple of weeks later when the next issue of OPSM was out and had a review.

I'm not going to say I was first in that. I almost certainly wasn't. And I'm sure it came out later for us than it did in the US. But I did pick it up without hearing any hype or whatever around it.

Oh, and same goes for Alundra. Which pwns Zelda fyi.

Burtsplurt
06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Sensible Soccer. I was pretty with it when I was about 12. I didn't own it initially, but I did play it before it became huge.

Spammerman
06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Pokemon Blue

Red kicked so much more ass. Look at the face people make when they get it. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/bloodhunter11/brucelee.jpg

Fatal Impurity
06-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Sensible Soccer. I was pretty with it when I was about 12. I didn't own it initially, but I did play it before it became huge.

I didnt get it when it first came out in fact i only played it a few years after the MegaDrive died off but i heard no hype or anything around it eventhough it was considered at the time one of the best football games ever made! Another thing to note is that even now its still my fav football game ever...

Pokemon Blue

Red kicked so much more ass. Look at the face people make when they get it. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/bloodhunter11/brucelee.jpg

You really like whoring that picture today don't you? Meh that pic rocks so it's justified!

Vćrn
06-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Perfect Dark. I was the first one in town to have it and it pwned.
The original seriously kicked the living crud out of Perfect Dark Zero (which I was also one of the first to have =D). They had sooo many less weapons and levels in Zero, and they got rid of the character customization in multiplayer mode. They added the sword and shield, but they lost their potential bonus points with me by not making it so you could use them together.

Squall's Gal
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
My mum randomly picked up Shadow Hearts II in a shop one day and bought it....I played the first half hour or so, and went online and ordered the first game. I'm now a major fan of those games.

escobert
06-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Unless you count guild wars and my constant harassing of friends to buy it. then no :p

Shiny
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Final Fantasy in general. I had never even heard of it when I decided to play it a while back.

Psychotic
06-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Video game threads -> General gaming discussion.

Grand Theft Auto, I guess. It was just considered some small cult game on the PS, and it didn't really become the smash-hit godlike phenomenon until the PS2 versions.

Also, fuck yes on the Sensible Soccer references! I loved that game. http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/lounge/16553d1126480090-uk-fantasy-football-2005-2006-tottenhamsuckspur.jpg check it out, a screenshot I posted on here a year or so ago. :love:

Rengori
06-18-2007, 02:21 AM
A lot of the NIS games. Disgaea mostly.

Ichimonji
06-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Suikoden II. It was actually my friend who got it, because he wanted to be different. We were all playing Final Fantasy games and he wanted something that no one else had. So he went out to the shore and bought Suikoden II for like ten bucks (yeah, this was way back when you could get it for very cheap, insted of it being $80+ and only on ebay.) None of us had ever heard of this game series ever, so we all tried it out. We instantly loved it. And now, I have every game in the series (except ironicly Suikoden II), and I continue to love the series.

Tallulah
06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I got Final Fantasy XII the day it came out. What a disappointment... :(

Nifleheim7
06-18-2007, 08:07 PM
The first Silent Hill.

Breine
06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I got Final Fantasy XII the day it came out. What a disappointment... :(

FFXII is a great game :mog:

Anyway, I think the Tekken series would be the answer here. A long, long time ago I tried the first Tekken game on an arcade when I was on holiday in France, and then after a while back home everybody suddenly started playing Tekken 2.. including myself. Ever since then I've been a big fan of the series, and I'm the only one I know who seriously plays it other than just randomly playing it on multiplayer mode from time to time.