PDA

View Full Version : Download Speed

Necron
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
My connection is apparently 6.0 mps, and i did a broadband speed test with results saying that i can download 593.5Kbps. So why when i download things does it go at 100kbps-ish. Sometimes even only 50kbps.

Any help would be much appreciated

starseeker
06-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Sounds like the other guy's server. I have a 2mb connection and 100kbps is the highest download speed I can often reach as well.

Mirage
06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, even though you can download at a certain speed, it doesn't mean that everyone can or want to upload that fast to you. You'd have to download from several places at the same time to max out your speed.

Necron
06-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I see.. So, even downloading trailers from IGN etc.. might be slower than it could be?

crono_logical
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Yes :p You also have to take into account you're also sharing bandwidth with other users on your ISP further up on their network, since it would be far too expensive to give everyone dedicated bandwidth at the speed they connect at, so there may be bottlenecks or traffic shaping/throttling between you and wherever you're trying to download from as well depending on time of day and other factors :p

Necron
06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Also, if i am downloading something large, and i leave it on overnight, my internet connection often disconnects. Anyone know why?

Odaisé Gaelach
06-16-2007, 02:52 PM
If you're connecting to your router via Wi-Fi, then maybe it's just your computer that's getting disconnected from the router. Your router is still connected to the Internet.

Fatal Impurity
06-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Get this: http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

It's a great little program that'll otimpise your internet connection...it helped boost my average download speed from 30kps to like 200kps or above!

Mirage
06-16-2007, 03:53 PM
It could also be that you've got a shoddy unstable ISP :p.

rubah
06-16-2007, 05:48 PM
You might have a time-based download cap, where if your isp sees so much activity they will cut you off!

Discord
06-16-2007, 08:41 PM
If you want faster downloads get Fasterfox - Performance and network tweaks for Firefox. (http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/) and Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) with FlashGot - Best Firefox Download Manager Integration - what is it? - InformAction (http://flashgot.net/) for Firefox - Rediscover the Web (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/).

If you're connecting to your router via Wi-Fi, then maybe it's just your computer that's getting disconnected from the router. Your router is still connected to the Internet.

True. Though I think it's the reconnect. Your Modem/Router will usually restart somewhere between 03:00 - 04:00 o'clock. That kills most cheap download-managers.

crono_logical
06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
True. Though I think it's the reconnect. Your Modem/Router will usually restart somewhere between 03:00 - 04:00 o'clock. That kills most cheap download-managers.If your router's actually doing that daily, I'd suggest looking to get a new router, or if it's the ISP cutting the connection daily (more popular on dial-up really), change ISP if complaining to them doesn't sort it out first :p Normal routers and ISPs will stay connected for weeks :p

Discord
06-17-2007, 02:14 AM
True. Though I think it's the reconnect. Your Modem/Router will usually restart somewhere between 03:00 - 04:00 o'clock. That kills most cheap download-managers.If your router's actually doing that daily, I'd suggest looking to get a new router, or if it's the ISP cutting the connection daily (more popular on dial-up really), change ISP if complaining to them doesn't sort it out first :p Normal routers and ISPs will stay connected for weeks :p

I think it has something to do with IP relocations. Pretty much all good modems and ISPs are doing that. You just don't notice it most of the time, due to your software being above the level of MS Paint. What it does is simply requesting a new external IP from the ISP, which can lead to exploding brains of some programs.

Don't even ask me why they do it. My guess would be the security measures.

o_O
06-17-2007, 04:44 AM

I think it has something to do with IP relocations. Pretty much all good modems and ISPs are doing that. You just don't notice it most of the time, due to your software being above the level of MS Paint. What it does is simply requesting a new external IP from the ISP, which can lead to exploding brains of some programs.

Don't even ask me why they do it. My guess would be the security measures.

That happens when your IP lease is renewed. It happens whenever your router loses power or DSL and has to reconnect but it's not deliberately "done" by the ISP. But a different external IP address won't affect any internal programs since the packet is handled by the router.

I'd wager the slow downloading is due to traffic management by the ISP. The disconnections could be chalked up to two things: Loss of DSL or loss of PPP. Loss of DSL means the physical connection is broken and loss of PPP is caused by the authentication session at the ISP expiring or dropping.

If it's loss of PPP, it's probably an ISP fault. If it's loss of DSL it's probably an ISP fault to but you'd want to check stuff like filters and the ADSL cable because the problem could be at your premesis.

crono_logical
06-17-2007, 12:11 PM
IP re-allocations, not relocations. Besides, good ISPs don't force your IP to change daily even if you are dynamic as long as you stay connected - as long as the link stays up, your equipment should always be able to renew any IP address lease so the external IP won't change. The IP changing is a sign of disconnection (or a badly configured address allocation setting at the ISP), which is something you want to look into. The change of IP will also kill all external connections you have e.g. downloads or IRC connections since as far as the servers at the other end are concerned, you are no longer at the old address where it was trying to send your data to you - another reason a good ISP should be avoiding doing such a thing whilst you are connected.

Discord
06-17-2007, 04:33 PM
I have the best ISP and the most expensive ISP available.*shrug* Even more so, it is intentional as it's is a selectable option in the router config. I can turn it of, if I like, but as I said before, this can very well be the reason for the author's disconnects.

Necron
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry, i don't understand a lot of what has been said. I use a DSL modem, and i don't know what all this ISP stuff means. :p

crono_logical
06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Just live with it then, it's easier :p You're only paying for <b>up to</b> 8mbps, and not 8mbps :p

Discord
06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry, i don't understand a lot of what has been said. I use a DSL modem, and i don't know what all this ISP stuff means. :p

As I said, get a download manager. This one is the best I've seen in ages.

Free Download Manager - absolutely free download accelerator and manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/)

Necron
06-18-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't know how to optimise my settings. There's the automatic optimiser thing, but i don't know my connection type. I have a speedtouch DSL modem. Called speedtouch 330 (well that's what it says on the back). What connection type do i choose?

o_O
06-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't know how to optimise my settings. There's the automatic optimiser thing, but i don't know my connection type. I have a speedtouch DSL modem. Called speedtouch 330 (well that's what it says on the back). What connection type do i choose?

The Speedtouch is a DSL modem, so your connection type is ADSL, DSL or xDSL. Other types could be T3 fibre optics or cable, for example.

Discord
06-19-2007, 04:25 PM

What do you mean what connection type? You just need to install the program and download your stuff with it.

Necron
06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, on the optimisation master, there's 256K DSL/Cable, 300K DSL/Cable, or 512K DSL/Cable, and i dunno which one am mean't to choose.

Oh, and my downloads seem to be getting slower every day. Now, downloads are only about 25 to 40kbps! I have no clue as to what is happening. I also forgot to mention that i have changed from AOL (1mb broadband) to Pipex (7mb broadband). I am not happy with Pipex at all (presuming it is down to them, as i had no trouble at all with AOL).

The speed was as it should be when i first connected to Pipex the day i got it, and from then, it has just gotten slower and slower.

Discord
06-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Either you're mistaken or they've got a very cool marketing policy.

o_O
06-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Sounds like traffic shaping to me. I suggest you get on the phone to them and ask why they're kneecapping your connection.

Also, the optimization setting you should choose is "512K DSL/Cable". Your connection is theoretically 7Mbps so regardless of whether or not the first post was in kilobytes or kilobits you're over 512kbps.