PDA

View Full Version : Writer would appreciate some feedback

MJH
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9805/magiclandsamazonfe8.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magiclandsamazonfe8.jpg)

eestlinc
06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Congratulations on being published. I don't generally choose books by cover art, but lately all I've been reading have been law casebooks. They don't come with cover art. :D

If you want critique of your writing, check out the <a href=http://forums.eyesonff.com/writers-corner/>Writer's Corner forum</a>. Discussion of books in general can take place in the lounge, though.

CimminyCricket
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I usually only read books by authors that I know, or have been recommended.

Rengori
06-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I usually only read books by authors that I know, or have been recommended.
That being said, in the event I'm just picking out something completely new, cover art and synopsis are both important factor in my decision to buy or not. If the cover art doesn't look interesting though, I probably won't read the synopsis. If the synopsis isn't interesting, than I probably won't read the book. So both are very important when I'm deciding on new books that aren't recommended or by authors/series I know.

And congrats for getting published.

MJH
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your replies. I have a link with a synopsis and a excerpt from my book. Is that ok to post here?

Polaris
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I like the cover! Even though it's not the main thing people don't get attracted to a book if the cover is ugly no matter how great the book is! :rolleye2 we have to think always of everything!

Oh congratulations for the book ;)

(I think the excert and synopsis should be at Writers Corner ;))

Madame Adequate
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM
First of all, major congratulations. It's not easy to get published unless you're connected (And if you are connected, then good for you for exploiting that fact).

Second, I don't care particularly for that cover art, but that doesn't matter - I don't, to coin a phrase, judge a book by its cover. :p The blurb on the back is far more important, and reputation more important still.

MJH
06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi,

Thanks again for all of your kind replies. I've posted a link to the synopsis and an excerpt from my book in the writer's lounge, so I hope that you'll get a chance to check it out and let me know what you think.

Germ Hamee
06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
What's a compelling read for me? A good book. I generally only find these through word of mouth, by reviews, or cover blurbs from other authors I may enjoy. Nice cover artwork helps the book stand out on the shelf.

That aside, as a writer, you shouldn't need to worry about any of this. Your publisher should be taking care of everything you need to get known. This includes advertising, cover blurbs, eye catching artwork, and sending out ARC's to well known magazines for review. Your publisher may have you do readings, or visit a few conventions so that you can reach out to your readers. They <i>want</i> your book to be a success, because that's how they're going to make back the money they paid you in advance. The only thing you need to do is write your next novel, because if they succeed in doing their job, they'll be wanting more from you <i>now</i>.

I really hope that you didn't go through some sort of self-publishing companies, or some other form of pay-to-publish methods of getting out there. You'll miss out on all of the benefits I've already mentioned, and you won't get the recognition you may deserve. Check out Writer's Beware (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/) if you want to read up more about it.

belkor_teh_magnificent
06-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Do I get a free copy if I say your book cover rocks? Well, it does. In a good book...I reckon there has to be occasional lighthearted moments, even in the most tragic tales. And it has to be easy to read...the reader shouldn't ever feel so bad that they just have to put the book down, unless thats what you want. I've read books like that. I couldnt read more than a page at a time, and you shouldnt do that. Also, at least one person should die.

eestlinc
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I've posted a link to the synopsis and an excerpt from my book in the writer's lounge, so I hope that you'll get a chance to check it out and let me know what you think.
That's a good idea. :D