PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ready for RE4 on the Wii?

Spawn of Sephiroth
06-20-2007, 12:46 AM
So, is anyone ready for it? I AM! I think it came out today the copy I prebought at Gamestop won't be in until tommorrow afternoon. I am excited. I just hope the Wii play doesn't screw it up. Any comments???

I Took the Red Pill
06-20-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm going to pick it up as soon as I can, and yes I'm very excited for it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah I am...I decided that I'm going to get RE4: Wii Edition because it probaby has less button mashing, and it also has that extra content from the PS2 version.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-20-2007, 02:45 AM
nah i already have it on the ps2

Rase
06-20-2007, 02:57 AM
I've been debating over whether or not to get it. I skipped out on the Gamecube version, so if I get it I'll get this one. I'm curious though, how heavily does it use the whole "Holy crap there's an enemy coming through the window" type thing, i.e. sudden shocks. I absolutely hate getting scared like that, so that would affect whether or not I buy it. I've played a little of the GC one at a friends and liked it, but it didn't have any of those parts wherever I was.

Masamunemaster
06-20-2007, 05:38 AM
You are like a crack addict for this game(sorry if that makes anybody feel bad), but you know what will happen.....you will get it then rush home put it in your wii then you find out your sis got ahold of it and broke it ...or it will be delayed by the delivery company

Old Manus
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been debating over whether or not to get it. I skipped out on the Gamecube version, so if I get it I'll get this one. I'm curious though, how heavily does it use the whole "Holy crap there's an enemy coming through the window" type thing, i.e. sudden shocks. I absolutely hate getting scared like that, so that would affect whether or not I buy it. I've played a little of the GC one at a friends and liked it, but it didn't have any of those parts wherever I was.I can only remember that happening once, and it was an oven. I :skull::skull::skull::skull: many bricks.

Craig
06-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I've been debating over whether or not to get it. I skipped out on the Gamecube version, so if I get it I'll get this one. I'm curious though, how heavily does it use the whole "Holy crap there's an enemy coming through the window" type thing, i.e. sudden shocks. I absolutely hate getting scared like that, so that would affect whether or not I buy it. I've played a little of the GC one at a friends and liked it, but it didn't have any of those parts wherever I was.I can only remember that happening once, and it was an oven. I :skull::skull::skull::skull: many bricks.

I'd say the numerous chainsaw moments probably count too.

Spawn of Sephiroth
06-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, just got it as soon as I got off work. Its really good. THe only thing that I am disappointed in is the graphics. I was hoping that they would tweak them a little bit more since hey, its on a new gen console, but they didn't.

Fonzie
06-21-2007, 12:46 AM
I've been debating over whether or not to get it. I skipped out on the Gamecube version, so if I get it I'll get this one. I'm curious though, how heavily does it use the whole "Holy crap there's an enemy coming through the window" type thing, i.e. sudden shocks. I absolutely hate getting scared like that, so that would affect whether or not I buy it. I've played a little of the GC one at a friends and liked it, but it didn't have any of those parts wherever I was.

Probably the parts that'll freak you out are with the Iron Maidens and the other ones like that. Other then that, the game isn't really that scary.

Edit: Nevermind, just had a flash back, I :skull::skull::skull::skull: myself through a lot of parts of the game.

Germ Hamee
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I've never played it before now, but I have to say this game pretty much owns. That's saying a LOT coming from me... I generally avoid RE like the plague. Very intense gameplay.

Dreddz
06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I think I played that game 2 years ago. So no thanks.

Lachrymosa
06-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I've been debating whether or not I should get the Wii version, since I've already got it for the PS2. I want to at least rent it to check out the new controls, but there's also a part of my brain that says "Wellll, it IS only thirty bucks, and you can always trade it in if it sucks..."

I actually tried looking for it when I was in town today, but neither Best Buy or Wal-Mart had it yet. And I couldn't go by Gamestop, because they were closed. Alas.

JKTrix
06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I think I played that game 2 years ago. So no thanks.

It's Capcom. Every other game they release nowadays you've probably played 2 or more years ago.

As for me, I never finished the GC game and I doubt I'll buy the Wii version. I might play it to see how it controls but i'm not that interested. If I do want to play it, I'd get the PC version.

Slicksword45
06-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Am I the only one who dosen't care?

This game has been releaced 4 times. I'v played it on the Ps2. I don't need to play it again.

Also, JKTrix, don't get the PC version. It has no mouse support, worse graphics then the Ps2 version and half-ass controls.

The GS review of the 4 verisons:
9.6 - Gamecube
9.3 - Ps2 (I fail to understand that. more content = lower grade XD)
7.0 - PC
9.1 - Wii

Fonzie
06-22-2007, 05:03 AM

This game has been releaced 4 times. I'v played it on the Ps2. I don't need to play it again.

Also, JKTrix, don't get the PC version. It has no mouse support, worse graphics then the Ps2 version and half-ass controls.

9.6 - Gamecube
7.0 - PC
9.1 - Wii

GC had better graphics I think.

Slicksword45
06-22-2007, 05:06 AM

9.6 - Gamecube
7.0 - PC
9.1 - Wii

Yes it dose. but I think the new content would make the graphical diffrence seem minor.

Arc_Master_14
06-22-2007, 05:24 AM

9.6 - Gamecube
7.0 - PC
9.1 - Wii

Yes it dose. but I think the new content would make the graphical diffrence seem minor.
One reason is due to the cutscene problem in the ps2 version as in even if your wearing the gangster costume in gameplay your not wearing it during a cutscene

NINJA_Ryu
06-22-2007, 05:34 AM
I am pissed off......

I went to best buy on tuesday, sure, my fault, they said it wouldnt ship till wensday at 2 PM.

I go today, on thursday morning, and it STILL HASNT DELIEVERED!!!!!!

When i get the game, i am going to sing hallelujah and silently curse doom upon all that dwell within BEst Buys employment section.....

Yes, ive been looking forward to this game that much...

Slothy
06-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I played it on the GC when it came out and got bored halfway through, so no, I really don't care about a Wii version. I care about it even less after reading a bit about how the controls work. Aiming sounds clunkier than it should be if you ask me.

Ishin Ookami
06-22-2007, 10:16 PM
A friend of mine loaned it to me (gamecube version) back in november. It was every bit as "meh" as I expected it to be. Same tank like controls, except now you aim far more accurately. Same brain dead enemies. Same brain dead bosses. Same awful story and voice acting (except this time its REALLY bad).

Only thing that had really changed was that now you aim far more accurately. enemies move quicker, and you got ammo up the yin yang. Oh, and it's pretty to look at. Every time I see a website call this title a revolution for the franchise, I want to smack them in the face and tear up the check that capcom sent them to write those lies in front of their weeping faces.

I'm sorry, I hate hype, and I hate something that is over hyped to be grand, yet is pretty much $#!& in a box. Sure the box may be pretty, but $#!^ in a box is still $#!^.

Okay, maybe thats a bit harsh. The game was kinda fun at various points in a dumbed down contra-ish sort of way. and I guess the story deserved some props since I was so busy laughing at it that I wanted to see what sort of comedy they would come up with next. But it really was the exact same Resident Evil they've been shovelling down gamers throats for years, just with a facelift.

Slothy
06-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Can I just say Ishin that I'm happy to see someone who actually shares my opinion on this game for a change? You know, the original RE games were highly praised, but had some obvious flaws that we simply chose to overlook back in the day. Now most people generally recognize those flaws, and many even heavily critisize the games for them. I imagine RE4 will be seen in much the same light a few years down the road.

Raebus
06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
A friend of mine loaned it to me (gamecube version) back in november. It was every bit as "meh" as I expected it to be. Same tank like controls, except now you aim far more accurately. Same brain dead enemies. Same brain dead bosses. Same awful story and voice acting (except this time its REALLY bad).

Only thing that had really changed was that now you aim far more accurately. enemies move quicker, and you got ammo up the yin yang. Oh, and it's pretty to look at. Every time I see a website call this title a revolution for the franchise, I want to smack them in the face and tear up the check that capcom sent them to write those lies in front of their weeping faces.

I'm sorry, I hate hype, and I hate something that is over hyped to be grand, yet is pretty much $#!& in a box. Sure the box may be pretty, but $#!^ in a box is still $#!^.

Okay, maybe thats a bit harsh. The game was kinda fun at various points in a dumbed down contra-ish sort of way. and I guess the story deserved some props since I was so busy laughing at it that I wanted to see what sort of comedy they would come up with next. But it really was the exact same Resident Evil they've been shovelling down gamers throats for years, just with a facelift.

First Bold Sentence :- I Disagree, they aren't the same controls AT ALL. If you play an old game along side this, you'll notice how that much smoother and easier to get grips with they are.

Second Bold Sentence:- Disagree, they showed intelligence. For example, Stepping out of your line of sight.

Third Bold Sentence + Fourth Bold Sentence:- Wow again I disagree! it wasn't as bad as previous story's and was actually pretty intriguing, to me at least and What I find strange is that when I first play it and still play it, it seems fresher than the old RE series, hence not the same, not a face lift. Oh noes.

Ishin Ookami
06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Can I just say Ishin that I'm happy to see someone who actually shares my opinion on this game for a change? You know, the original RE games were highly praised, but had some obvious flaws that we simply chose to overlook back in the day. Now most people generally recognize those flaws, and many even heavily critisize the games for them. I imagine RE4 will be seen in much the same light a few years down the road.

when I first played RE2 I actually sort of liked it. This was way back in 1998 though, when developers were generally coming to grips with 3D engines and how to make them as fun as 2D managed to be in it's prime. I think by this point developers have made some GRAND strides in 3D gaming and survival horror. I personally enjoy fatal frame because the combat system is one that takes advantage of the aural and visual horrors around you, driving home the terror of the story while focusing you to get up close to your freakish enemies all while the visuals, sounds, and story are all doing their best to scar you for life. I usually can only play FF in short bursts, but It's a series I love as much as I fear, in the way survival horror should be feared.

Resident Evil on the other hand refuses to march forward at all. Tank like controls are still the order of the day. I don't care of enemies randomly side-step, they are still typically brain dead lumbering freaks. Except now they move faster.

and I don't consider more ammo, more guns, and a new aiming scheme to be a revolution. It's basically taking elements from Contra (run and gun style action) and Metal Gear Solid (aiming and hit reaction system). How does any of that = a revolution?

And really, I don't need a pulitzer prize winning story or anything, but RE isn't even trying anymore. I mean really, we got a bacteria thats been buried for centuries, a freakish cult out to kidnap the presidents daughter only to turn her into a freak and send her home as a spy, meanwhile I'm sure that the mutations this virus develops will totally go unnoticed. The characters are extremely two dimensional and boring. throw in plot twists you can see coming a mile away (hey dude, I JUST managed to find the cure to the new zombie virus and... oh look, the villain just killed me and stole your cure. Better find that piece of high tech yet brilliantly automated machinery that will cure you) and Ada on a military mission in a cocktail dress I mean really, how does any of this sound compelling in the slightest? It was forgiveable back in 1998 because the mainstream had yet to discover Final Fantasy, and for most people "Our princess is in another castle" was the pinnacle of plot twists in video games. But once again, this is ten years after the fact. Why can't resident evil actually try to improve itself?

It really seems that the only thing RE improves upon game by game is production values, and thats the one thing I can live without. many websites rag on developers whenever they use 2D and pixel based graphics for being old fashioned, but I always prefer gameplay and enjoyment before production. I guess I just wish RE would actually give me solid gameplay, a challenging combat system, genuine scares, and a story I can at least pretend to take seriously. Instead all it gives is slight improvements to a system that was defective even in it's time. I could live with that if websites and publications would stop selling out and calling this survival horrors premiere franchise.