PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Wyrm (or How I'm Too Lazy to Fight)

JonyH
06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
When I first fought the elder wyrm I found it quite hard, the status attacks were too much for me, and I couldn't be bothered to set up a complex gambit system or anything.

I gave it two tries then decided I'd wander around before trying again. I went south through the Golmore Jungle, then east through the Feywood. I found myself in the Paramina Rift and walked up to Mt. Bur-Omisace, then realised that I had just skipped a storyline boss!

I decided to leave it for most of the game and then take my revenge by beating him just before going to fight Vayne. I was on level 70 or so and he went down like a fly! :D

Just wondering if I'm the only person who couldn't be bothered to fight him . . . there must be more lazy people like me out there!

Shattered Dreamer
06-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I got a great sense of satifaction when I beat the Elder Wyrm when I was meant to fight it. I used Belias to kill the two Golems & to wear him down, hit him with a Quickening chain & then just bashed him quiet frankly. I had bought a status curing items & relyed on Larsa for curing.

The fact you can skip him means you probably had to run like hell through the south of the Golmore Jungle & through the Feywood especially since the enemies there at that time are more than twice your level. But like the Greater Tyrant thats the optional Boss dinosaur in the Dalmascan Sands which after beating him leave you with a quicker way to the Mosphoran Highwaste your probably better to fight it when it becomes available because it makes travel to certain areas easier. Even though being that the Elder Wyrm took me 5 or 6 attempts at the time going back & crushing him later I'd say would be pretty sweet. That why I'm looking forward to handing the Undying its own a$$ for the 2nd time but with even more ease after I finish the hunts & get some more legendary weapons.

McLovin'
06-21-2007, 02:36 AM
When do we fight the elder wyrm?

PuPu
06-21-2007, 03:03 AM
When do we fight the elder wyrm?

Right after you receive Lente's Tear from Jote in Eruyt Village and right before you enter Paramina Rift.

Renmiri
06-21-2007, 03:25 AM
No you were not the first...

Talk:Elder Wyrm - The Final Fantasy Wiki has a much longer name than any of your puny Wikis that have short names. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Elder_Wyrm)

JonyH
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, they all seem to make it sound so hard. Literally all I did was hold R2 so I could explore without fighting. I just wanted to see what else was out there and I entered the feywood thinking "I'm not meant to be here" so I ran around and exited to the paramina rift. It was sweet when I realised what I'd done :D

Renmiri
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Entering the Feywood right after Golmore is murder. I got like 3 game overs there before I levelled up properly. You are lucky!!! :love:

fifie
07-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey, it's been a long time since anyone posted but I just did that too! It was so satisfying to just continue with the story and not fight that Elder Wyrm thing, I literally died a million times trying to defeat Tiamat and then along comes this Wyrm I was not gonna fight it hehe!

Shiva_
07-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I had to skip him on my 122333 game by going south through the Feywood as well.

With the equipment, armor, max HP, and licenses I had at the time, it would've been virtually impossible to beat him. I hadn't even gotten my first Firefly yet, so I wasn't yet able to grind for LP for necessary augments (HP, remedy lore, etc.).

Shattered Dreamer
07-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Now that I remember after Tiamat & Elder Wyrm none of the storyline bosses where that difficult.

Bolivar
07-14-2007, 12:49 AM
I found Elder Wyrm to be very difficult at first, but by just putting forth an effort with Gambits he became immensely easier.

Just split up the individual status-cure items between your 3 members (or how ever many you're bringing into this battle) and he should be a breeze. That's one of the things I love about this game, alot of your progress and how easy bosses are depends on how much effort the player puts into their gambits. s

Kappy
07-17-2007, 12:53 AM
What?! He's optional? Damn ;___;

It took me forever to beat him, and I ended up putting the game down for a good 3 months because I couldn't be bothered to level up.
Still, I managed to wander into the Feywood when in the Paramina Rift, and got my ass handed to me, and I'm not the greatest at fleeing... when I see a treasure chest I have a strange compulsion to pick it up, triggering all the enemies chasing me to hit me in the back at once xD
Not a good idea when enemies twice your level are behind you...

Oh, a bit of advice for people trying to beat the Elder Wyrm, I found that staying behind him at all times (i.e. making your party leader run around his back to attack), meant his Sporefall never hit, leaving you to heal the other party members. Just something interesting I found... whether it was complete coincidence I'm not sure, but it worked four times during the fight.

Shiva_
07-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I found that the easiest way to avoid the Elder Wyrm is to first teleport to Jahara and pick up a Chocobo. Ride it into the Golmore Jungle and go into "The Needlebrake" and then south into "The Rustling Chapel". Then go south into the Feywood from there. Once you enter the Feywood, go right, and take the right exit (leading to the Paramina Rift). You can enter the Paramina Rift easily this way with your characters unscathed. You should have enough time on the Chocobo to make it through this route.

JonyH
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah that's the same route. I just did it a cheaper way without paying for chocobos :D