PDA

View Full Version : #000000 or #FFFFFF? Or even #777777?

rubah
06-21-2007, 04:01 AM
So um. Watched Advent Children today, and apparently some people think that Rude is not black.

(apparently they had the same opinion in reverse!)

So uh. This really was a shock to me, because well, I mean he looks black, I think the goatee, lots of black men shave their heads bald, (less than white men of the same age, I'd assume),and black people cosplay him, and well, what is there to say he isn't?

He's not as dark skinned as Barrett? Black isn't an absolute term! There are many variations of color, as I am sure that some on this forum can testify.

But I'm just a little poor little backwater white girl, so what do I know?

Anyways, we compromised that he could be mulatto, so accordingly I have included that option in the poll.

Laddy
06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
I have always seen him to be black.

Ryushikaze
06-21-2007, 04:41 AM
He's hispanic.

hanawa
06-21-2007, 04:51 AM
Its not really a big deal. Whatever colour he is i can still jam my gaming hardware & get on with the game till the end.
Anyway i'd say black. I couldnt find the right word to appropiately describe him.

Lachrymosa
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Y'know, I never actually thought about it before. But I'm going to say he looks more mulatto to me, although he could also be a light-skinned black man.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
somewhere in between, i think "olive" is the best word

cloud21zidane16
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
i always saw him as in between white and halfcaste because his not really dark at all.

daggertrepe
06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I thought he was just some tan dude.

CimminyCricket
06-21-2007, 04:14 PM
How is he not black? His voice, his obvious skin hew and I think someone in FF7 made a reference to him being black, although I haven't played the game in so long, I'm not sure at all.

Tallulah
06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Why does skin colour matter? Rude is Rude. :p

Honestly, I never even thought about it... :rolleyes2

Mirage
06-21-2007, 04:28 PM
He's brown. A white guy would need a lot of tanning to keep a colour like that.

TheSpoonyBard
06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Rude doesn't shave his head; he's naturally bald. And Nomura considers Rude to be South American.[/ultimania omega]

Mirage
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Where can I find south America in FF7? :(

CimminyCricket
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Right next to the place you need to go to resurrect Aerith.

Sword
06-22-2007, 03:18 PM
He looks Latin to me. I always though of him as just a tanned white guy.

Elly
06-22-2007, 06:04 PM
i always thaught of him as the average big buff tanned biker type in a suit, and no i don't think he's a brotha just cuz he's bald and has a goatee, that's kinda putting people in a stereotype box, like saying everyone that wears black worships the devil, so yeah he's white with a tan or possibly half hispanic, but since he dosen't have even the slightest hint of a mexican accent maybe not...

Comet
06-22-2007, 07:11 PM
He looks Latin to me. I always though of him as just a tanned latin guy.

Psychotic
06-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I think he's of mixed race.

Interesting to see people throw out the hispanic idea, though. I'd never considered that.

Elly
06-23-2007, 03:04 AM
well when you live in Texas, Mexican-Americans are everywhere, lol, anyway, i never considered he could be mulato, that's interesting and original, and actualy makes more sense since we only see 2 races in FFVII, if you don't count Nanaki...

No.78
06-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Rude isn't black, in AC at least O_o Tanned maybe

Bolivar
06-24-2007, 11:30 PM
I subconsciously thought he was a light-skinned brother, but I never really noticed it until they made him look kinda white in AC. If Nomura said he was south american, that would explain alot, because (my family comes from there) it's one of the most diversified continents, he's probably a little bit of a few different things.

Big D
06-25-2007, 01:09 AM
If Nomura says he's ethnically similar to a South American from our world, then that's good enough for me.

It's kinda funny that he's voiced, in English, by Crispin Freeman. I saw that dude at a convention, and he's one of the whitest white guys ever. His appearance and real voice are completely unlike anything you'd expect.

crazybayman
06-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I always assumed caucasian. Although I never ever gave it any thought.

I have a goatee and am white. Although I'm not bald, and don't have the 'stache. However, I know of many white bald dudes with the same type of goatee as Rude. They actually have the same look. So being bald with a goatee is hardly a sterotype of being a "brotha'".

But if Nomura says he was meant to be South American looking, then that's good enough for me. I guess that would typically be a mix of Portugese (or Spanish) and Native South-American.

And yeah, he looked pretty caucasian to me in AC. And his voice in AC didn't tell me otherwise, either.

grim07
07-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The man is white. With a tan.

ReloadPsi
07-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Never really noticed. You got me wondering now though :P Gonna have to look closer next time I play (next time I have a working memory card)

Grazia
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
He's hispanic.

I would also say Latino/Hispanic.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
To me, Rude is white. He doesn't look like he has dark skin at all.

Northcrest
07-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Rude looks Black to me.

cloud21zidane16
07-12-2007, 02:17 AM
only 7 says white so far, i thought there would be way more than that:mog:

Jessweeee♪
07-12-2007, 02:18 AM
I dunno!!!
...but he doesn't talk like Mr. T, so we can assume he isn't totally black.

The Ceej
07-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I never really thought about Rude's race. Guess I gotta pay more attention next time.

I have, however, thought about Baralai's race. He has white hair and dark skin. The skin can't be that of a black guy, but it can't be that of a white guy either. I think Square made up a race for Baralai.

Big D
07-13-2007, 02:58 AM
I have, however, thought about Baralai's race. He has white hair and dark skin. The skin can't be that of a black guy, but it can't be that of a white guy either. I think Square made up a race for Baralai.I reckon you're right, there. Spira seems to have a few made-up ethnicities. Lulu and Paine, for instance, both have fair skin, red eyes, and grey hair - not common quirks of any real ethnic group I've ever seen. It's still a pretty cool colour combination, though:D

The Ceej
07-13-2007, 06:45 AM
They sure do know how to make attractive people with ethnicities that don't exist. Just look at people like Paine and Baralai. It doesn't matter what you're into. You'll find at least one of them really hot. Is it just me or have the Final Fantasy characters just been getting more and more attractive?

Yeah, and I keep forgetting to put Advent Children in and look at Rude. I'll get back to you on that one.

rubah
07-13-2007, 07:12 AM
lulu's hair is black, isn't it?

I think most of the hair stuff can be explained by saying 'it's japan, they have a lot of odd hair colors'

I mean, lenna had pink hair and I don't think anyone thought she was of any special race xD

Jessweeee♪
07-13-2007, 07:15 AM
PURPLE

rubah
07-13-2007, 07:39 AM
faris or maria?

The Ceej
07-13-2007, 07:12 PM
lulu's hair is black, isn't it?

I think most of the hair stuff can be explained by saying 'it's japan, they have a lot of odd hair colors'

I mean, lenna had pink hair and I don't think anyone thought she was of any special race xD

Well, to support Big D's statement, Paine had more than just grey hair at a young age. She also had the red eyes. If her hair were white, we could call her albino. But, it was grey, so we have to assume it's a new race. Like Baralai. Forget about his hair for a minute. Do you know any race that has skin his color? I didn't think so. But it really goes well with the white hair.