PDA

View Full Version : Which Metal Gear Solid title is your favorite?

KentaRawr!
06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
So, as the title states, which Metal Gear Solid game is your personal favorite? As for me, I'm stuck between Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and Metal Gear Solid 3. I've never played the original version of Metal Gear Solid, sadly for me.

So, yeah. Discuss.

Psychotic
06-21-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm torn between MGS and Snake Eater. The gameplay and graphics were absolutely immense on Snake Eater, but MGS had the better story and characters.

DK
06-21-2007, 11:50 PM
MGS for mine. Snake eater runs it pretty close but the story, the characters, the boss fights, the setting in that base in Alaska and the Stealth Camo not turning off when you run through people on MGS shades it for mine. I felt that aside from The End, the boss fights in Snake Eater were pretty weak as well. Nothing compares to the Ninja or the Hind.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Metal Gear Solid 5 (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20050923.jpg), of course.

I haven't played 3, so I'd have to say 1. Metal Gear Solid 2 was underbaked: it had much more potential.

Orophin
06-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3 but the first one, both the original and the remake, are very close.

Psychotic
06-22-2007, 12:11 AM
I felt that aside from The End, the boss fights in Snake Eater were pretty weak as well. Nothing compares to the Ninja or the Hind.Oh yeah, this too. Although I thought The Boss was a fucking awesome fight and that The End was something of a drag. I think the only fights in the original that were lacking were the Sniper Wolf fights.

LunarWeaver
06-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I usually save and put my Ps2's clock forward a handful of years and kill The End that way because I hate looking for him :shifty:.

The second was my faviefave. <3

Slothy
06-22-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm sorry, but the boss fights in MGS3 beat the boss fights in all the other games Gordon Freeman style. I'm almost tempted to say it had a better story, but I'm not sure I'd go that far. MGS is slightly ahead in story and characters for me, but I think Subsistence had the tightest story telling, and the best gameplay.

Mirage
06-22-2007, 03:06 AM
I liked the one with the huge robots...

Big D
06-22-2007, 03:21 AM
The original MGS, for me, is the best overall. Superb pacing - you're always on the way somewhere, with a clear goal in mind, and a new set of obstacles to overcome; a sharp contrast to the two subsequent games, where there's a lot of idleness or repetition.

Best fights - unique boss fights, rather than sporadic duels with shallow bosses. The Cobra fights in MGS3, like the Cobras themselves, feel like they were included simply for the sake of having 'boss fights' throughout the game. In MGS1, however, each major battle is relevant to the plot in some major way.

Great characters - every FOXHOUND member has an important role in the plot, rather than being tacked-on for dramatic purposes. Very well developed, even those with little screen-time, like Mantis and Wolf.

Significantly, I feel that MGS is less... well, 'self-important' that its successors. Probably because the latter games were made with the knowledge that they were part of a gaming legend. The original MGS, while carrying on the legacy of the old 16(?)-bit games, was in a format that was untested, so it wasn't guaranteed phenomenal success from the outset. I think it benefited as a result.

I have major issues with how the series discusses World War Two, but the first game was by far the most reasonable. By the time you reach MGS3, the game would have you believe that Japan's involvement in the war was thus: 'they were an utterly peaceful nation, doing nothing except enjoying blissful pacifism until some evil Americans started dropping nuclear bombs on them for no reason, which was the single worst atrocity in human history'. The first game is far less propagandistic in this regard, though that remains my biggest grip with the series as a whole.

Basically, MGS1 wins for originality, creative challenges, a heavily involved plot and cast, and simply setting the standard that its successors have striven to emulate.

Slothy
06-22-2007, 05:23 AM
I have major issues with how the series discusses World War Two, but the first game was by far the most reasonable. By the time you reach MGS3, the game would have you believe that Japan's involvement in the war was thus: 'they were an utterly peaceful nation, doing nothing except enjoying blissful pacifism until some evil Americans started dropping nuclear bombs on them for no reason, which was the single worst atrocity in human history'. The first game is far less propagandistic in this regard, though that remains my biggest grip with the series as a whole.

I've played every instalment in the series since MGS multiple times, and I remember very little discussion about WWII outside of some references to the atomic detonations. I certainly don't recall anything that suggested they were a bunch of pacifists and America was evil.

And the pre-MGS games were 8-bit era for the record.

Cz
06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
What, no MGS: Special Missions option? :(

It's a close call between MGS and MGS2 for me. The original had the better plot, and the boss fights were certainly superior, but MGS2 had its moments as well, and because the gameplay was so much more advanced it made an Extreme run far more challenging. I think that nostalgia probably tips things in favour of MGS, even if it isn't the better game outright. Plus, it helps that it didn't happy any crappy swimming sections. :p

Dreddz
06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
MGS1 but followed very closely by MGS2.

Carl the Llama
06-22-2007, 11:20 AM
For those of you who want a challenge then try takeing on the Bosses of MGS3 with your fists (you get their cammo if you do this) and it makes the game much more challengeing for me MGS3 has a very powerfull story line esp at the end when you find out the truth about BOSS never in gameing history have I encountered such a bitter sweet ending... MGS3 is a legend unto itself

Slothy
06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
You know, I probably should have sent some love MGS2's way as well. Until it came along, nothing I had seen pushed things like AI as far in a game. That, and I spent no less than 20 hours playing the demo that came with ZOE. I still remember the ranking board they had for people to post their completion times. I think that was why I spent so much time with it.

KentaRawr!
06-22-2007, 02:34 PM
For those of you who want a challenge then try takeing on the Bosses of MGS3 with your fists (you get their cammo if you do this) and it makes the game much more challengeing for me MGS3 has a very powerfull story line esp at the end when you find out the truth about BOSS never in gameing history have I encountered such a bitter sweet ending... MGS3 is a legend unto itself

Actually, all you have to make sure of to get their uniform (Or Sniper Rifle, in The End's case) is beat them by stamina loss. So you could use the tranquilizer as well, and if you get The End's rifle, you can tranquilize them while sniping. I suppose beating them with fists would be quite challenging, but it seems more like it would be frustrating for The Pain. >_>

blackmage_nuke
06-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Probably the first one, it had a great story and great game play. The thing that wouldve made it perfect were if you could shoot in first person, but it was still great.

I also like the second metal gear (not solid) on msx where snake is in Zanzibar, that was fun after I finally learnt how to make snake crawl.

belkor_teh_magnificent
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I think you people are missing something! What about the other canon MGS game, Portable Ops? But fine, i'll restrict myself to 1-3. MGS1 was the second best for me. The plot was superb, the boss battles were very well done, and, as stated above, each boss worked themselves into the plot very well. In terms of character development, this game is unmatched, even by most RPGs...in fact, I believe this game to have a much superior plot and character development than many FFs. MGS2 is definitly far better than many people rate it. Raiden exists to be a n00b - to make Snake look bigger by reflection. And the plot is ok, and it has some VERY emotional moments. I direct the reader to Pter Stillman, E.E. and Olga. Sure, the plot gets a little twisted at the end, but its fun. And the bosses are worked very well into the story. MGS3 is the very best for me. THe plot is every bit as exceptional as MGS1, the boss battles, whilst the Corbas arent particularly integrated into the story, are excellent. Personally, The End and The Boss are my favourite bosses ever in terms of gameplay and effect respectively. There is never one single method to follow, which makes it fun to play. MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2, but by any standards, i'd give all 3 10/10

Carl the Llama
06-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Actually, all you have to make sure of to get their uniform (Or Sniper Rifle, in The End's case) is beat them by stamina loss. So you could use the tranquilizer as well, and if you get The End's rifle, you can tranquilize them while sniping. I suppose beating them with fists would be quite challenging, but it seems more like it would be frustrating for The Pain. >_>

When I said that that you get their cammo by beating them with your fists, I never said that it was the only way you get their cammo, but it IS the most challengeing, the first MGS while it was Epic was a bit to easy IMO every boss had only one way of being beaten and after you get the stealth cammo/bandanna it becomes even easyer.

demondude
06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Snake eater is my favourite just because I loved the whole survival aspect with catching food and healing you'r own injurys:)

Brennan
06-22-2007, 06:55 PM
MGS1
only one I played :mad:

Project G
06-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I loved MGS1 but MGS3 still owns.

Too bad you guys didn't add the original Metal Gear games, ok so they are a bit old but they are pretty kewl

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
This is a pretty difficult decision for me. It's like picking my favorite child (assuming I actually had children and removed my stance on hating all children regardless:rolleyes2 ). It pretty much comes down to MGS1 and MGS3.

MGS1 had better character developement and I agree that FOXHOUND beats the Cobras down in personality and relevance to the story, but I disagree on it having a better storyline. MGS3's plot is better IMHO cause it's a journey to watch how a patriot falls from grace and turns on his country. Coming from a military family, it holds more interest to me. I also love how beautifully Kojima entwines the story with the historical events of the 60's.

Gameplay is not really a fair judgement though so I'll simply say they tie, but MGS1 definetly had the stronger musical score that truly fit the setting and story. I like the nod to James Bond and the remix of Snakes' Theme but MGS3 just can't beat out MGS1's soundtrack.

MGS3 definetly had the better ending, hell only MG:Solid Snake had an ending on par with it. MGS3'S ending was just so emotionally powerful. It really made the player feel the impact of the entire storyline and Big Boss' sense of betrayal.

I just can't decide...

10-Breaker
06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
MGS1. Still I'd say that MGS3 is better. Bosses give a real challenge while playing extreme mode 'xcept The End 'cause he dies on one hit like you do (if it is headshot). MGS1 has better storyline. Any of you played gamecube remake v?