PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend some really disturbing horror games?

Peter_20
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of the "jump-out-of-your-seat" kind of horror, because although it's effective, it's not exactly original.
I'm looking for the kind of horror that leaves a wound in your soul, and heavily disturbs your dreams forever afterwards.
You know, horror that focuses on psychology rather than sudden events.

Can you recommend anything? :)

LunarWeaver
06-23-2007, 08:08 PM
*Cue everybody saying Silent Hill*

demondude
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Teletubbies for the ps1 i still have nightmares:(

Dreddz
06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Silent Hill 1-4, Forbidden Siren 1+2, Fatal Frame, Clock Tower 1-3, Darkseed and The Suffering.

That should set you up nicely.

bipper
06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Ah, I thought you said "disturbing whorer games", I was gonna mention X-2. I will second clock tower series.

ZeZipster
06-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Ah, I thought you said "disturbing whorer games", I was gonna mention X-2. I will second clock tower series.

I lol'd.

Darkja
06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Phantasmagoria.

Markus. D
06-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Here we go...

Gosh. are they really THAT slutified?

Peter_20
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM

Here we go...

Gosh. are they really THAT slutified?I actually agree that FFX-2 seems to focus too much on sexifying the girls from FFX.

Markus. D
06-23-2007, 10:29 PM
-_-

But not to the point of where they are going out and casting hastega on random paying truckies.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Clock Tower is fantastic. :D

But I'd highly recommend the Chzo Mythos for two reasons. One, the games are pretty small (filewise) and free to download. Two, they are very scary. :eek:

In play order...
5 Days a Stranger (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/)
7 Days a Skeptic (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/7days/)
Trilby's Notes (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/notes/)
6 Days a Sacrifice (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/6days/)

Ishin Ookami
06-24-2007, 05:09 AM
I never played clock tower, but Fatal Frame is an awesomely freaky series. I started off renting Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly on a slow night a few years back, after about two hours I first encountered the main villain, and she makes one hell of a disturbing entrance. This is followed up by several freakish story events, and a point where you realize you have to go back to the room where you encountered her, and she literally, laughs at you. And it helps, in a terrifying way, that she has the most freakishly, demented, disturbing, insane, I'm going to kill you through fear, sort of laugh that I have ever heard. My hand was literally trembling so hard I could barely save and turn off my PS2. I just sat there trying to steady my nerves for a while before going to my computer and googling some hello kitty images for the sake of seeing something cute and adorable.

And THAT my friend, is the game just getting warmed up. Later on it does all sort of freaky, my gawd I wish I hadn't seen that, and you thought the RING gave you nightmares, types of images, story telling events, and enemies. The entire game, from the graphics, to the incredibly well written yet super scary story, the voice acting, and the ambience (Fatal Frame is legendary with scaring you just by putting in freaky voices and sounds that come out of nowhere) all work hard to give you the ultimate haunted house trip. It's the kind of game you have to beat, just so you can say you defeated the fears this game made you feel.

I'd honestly say Fatal Frame II is the scariest. But that doesn't mean the other two aren't great. Fatal Frame I and III are both awesome titles that work the fear factor very well. I just think the creators channeled something really special with the second title.

Oh yah, and the combat works to freak you out as well. You basically fight ghosts with a camera, that you use in first person view. It's based on an old japanese superstition that a camera works by stealing a portion of your soul, and this camera is specially created to photograph paranormal phenomenon. Trick is to do the most damage you got to get very close, and to really score points to upgrade your camera and unlock the really cool abilities, and thus survive, you got to wait until the ghost is attacking, thus giving you a chance to take it's "fatal frame" shot, IE when you can combo the bugger with one super devestating shot after another so long as you get the timing right.

So yah, I'd definitely say the Fatal frame series surpasses Silent Hill in every way. As for clock tower, I've never played it so I can't say.

Laddy
06-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Fatal Frame, I still have nightmares...

Peter_20
06-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna check out this Fatal Frame stuff. :D

Hm, do you think I'll be able to handle that series if I was freaked out by the giant coat guy in Resident Evil 2? :eek:

Swan
06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Manhunt had the tendency to make me jump a bit. Hardly a Horror game though.

Tombraider was a scary one. You're completely on her own, running through the dark, then a giant Tiger jumps out and Mauls you. Bound to scare a few people (me).

Madame Adequate
06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Fatal Frame/Project Zero (Same series). It has jump-out moments but they're really well done, and it has longer-lasting scary :skull::skull::skull::skull: going on as well.

Old Manus
06-24-2007, 01:26 PM
FFX-2 was indeed a horror, but in a very different sense.

Slothy
06-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Silent Hill is of course the obvious answer with SH3 being the creepiest, most wacked out, screw with your head and make you sleep with the lights on for a year game in the series. Fatal Frame gets a lot of recommendations. I wasn't overly impressed with the first one, but the second which I've yet to play seems to get the creep factor praise. I constantly look for it when I go to EB to see if they have a used copy, but they never do.

Levian
06-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I was very disappointed with Project Zero/Fatal Frame, I've played all three of them but I just found them very boring. Just endless walking around in dark similar looking hallways. Not too fond of the whole camera thing either.

I very much recommend Silent Hill and Clock Tower, though. However not Clock Tower 2: Ghost Head.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
However not Clock Tower 2: Ghost Head.

Ah, yes. Avoid! :D

theundeadhero
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I was just playing Silent Hill 2 last night in the middle of the night with the lights off and it's creepy. Fatal Frame 2 is far creepier though. I'm literally terrified when I play the games to the point of jumping up screamng and sending my controller flying. I love it! Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are awesome. Looking forward to Clock Tower.

Dreddz
06-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Awww dont be so harsh on Clock Tower 2 guys. Its a bad game but it had its moments, worth playing if your die hard Clock Tower 1 and 3 fan. Even if the game had a swish cheese of a plot and pretty bad gameplay. It was still freaky in spots. And 12 different endings is impressive.

Brennan
06-24-2007, 05:08 PM

I lol'd.
Me too!

Anywho...
Resident Evil is good, maybe even Darkwatch, maybe.

Fatal Impurity
06-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Resi 1 was decent when it first came out for its creep factor...

Shoeberto
06-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Resi 1 was decent when it first came out for its creep factor...
The key being "when it first came out."

The remake on Gamecube still is very tense, but that's mostly in expectation of something jumping out at you. It's low on truly disturbing events.

I'd say stick to the Silent Hills, Fatal Frames and Clock Towers (though I've never played the latter two series, I've heard a lot about them).

Discord
06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Mario. Any of them.=D Viva Sonic!

Other than that, minesweeper. I'm still getting nightmares from the thought of pressing the wrong button.

Levian
06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Clock Tower is fantastic. :D

But I'd highly recommend the Chzo Mythos for two reasons. One, the games are pretty small (filewise) and free to download. Two, they are very scary. :eek:

In play order...
5 Days a Stranger (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/)
7 Days a Skeptic (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/7days/)
Trilby's Notes (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/notes/)
6 Days a Sacrifice (http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/6days/)

Downloaded these games yesterday and played the first one. Pretty cool game, hoping the others are equally good. :choc2: I took a sneak peek at the second and the whole space thing looked kinda unappealing. Old manors plz.

Obsidian
06-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Silent Hill never seems to fail for me. I really need to try Fatal Frame...

Yuffie514
06-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Silent Hill all the way. has horror in many different types of levels.

han_keep_smilin
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
obscure isnt that scary but i havnt ever played on any other horor games so i dunno if its classed as 'scary' but it freeked me out anyway :)
so ill say the only one ive played.. obscure

Rostum
07-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Well there's Parasite Eve 2. I know it's not very disturbing, but it's interesting and makes you jump.

Other than that, Silent Hill is a good choice, as well as Resident Evil.