PDA

View Full Version : RUNAS \profile under WIN XP

Discord
06-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I've got a question:

Is there any way I can tell a program to run from the admin account (with profile loading) while using a restricted user account without giving in the password every single time (under WIN XP HOME EDITION)? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-24-2007, 01:53 AM
Best thing I can think of: PalmerSoft RunAsUser (http://www.palmersoft.co.uk/software/runasuser.asp).

crono_logical
06-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Start a command prompt as admin with that method and keep it in the background, then whenever you need to launch something as admin, use that window to do it :p

Discord
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Umm... no, that's not what I mean. I want my little brother to be able to run a game on from his account. It needs admin privs, but there's no way I'm giving them to him (it didn't end very well the last time). Ideas?

crono_logical
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
The only thing I can think of then in WinXP that lets you run stuff under a different account without having to enter the password every time are services - if you can somehow make a service to run that game under desired credentials, and give him a shortcut that only starts that service (dunno if starting would require admin though, so defeating the purpose), then that might be a messy workaround for you :p Otherwise not having to enter the admin password is a bit of a security issue :p

Otherwise, image the machine then give him admin, so you can restore quickly and easily when he screws it up :D

Discord
06-27-2007, 03:35 AM
The only thing I can think of then in WinXP that lets you run stuff under a different account without having to enter the password every time are services - if you can somehow make a service to run that game under desired credentials, and give him a shortcut that only starts that service (dunno if starting would require admin though, so defeating the purpose), then that might be a messy workaround for you :p Otherwise not having to enter the admin password is a bit of a security issue :p

Otherwise, image the machine then give him admin, so you can restore quickly and easily when he screws it up :D

Meh, I just reinstalled the OS a few weeks ago. Was my mistake though.:p

I know how to do this in UNIX (just add the flag), but I haven't got a clue how WinXP would let me do it. Still stuck.