PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars

Cecilia
06-23-2007, 11:37 PM
So, which are the best; the older Star Wars movies(IV, V, VI), or the newer ones(I, II, III)?

Also, which one particular Star Wars episode/film is your favourite?
And which is your LEAST favourite?

Araciel
06-23-2007, 11:40 PM
i could write an entire essay on this subject...but

the original trilogy, because the storyline of the new trilogy seems too rushed and haphazard to me, though the effects are obviously so much better, and the fights more exciting.

best episode? empire. hands down

worst? revenge.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-24-2007, 02:24 AM
older ones =/ but i like the new ones just as much

Brennan
06-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Old ones, favorite: VI

Odaisé Gaelach
06-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Alas, I've yet to see any of the Star Wars films...

I Took the Red Pill
06-24-2007, 04:48 AM
The old ones are much better, A New Hope being my favorite. Attack of the Clones was easily the worst of the saga for me.

Kirobaito
06-24-2007, 05:07 AM
The older ones are better, and not just because they're older. The storylines are better and there is better acting. And you don't know the endings.

The best episode is The Empire Strikes Back. This is not up for discussion. Nor is the fact that Attack of the Clones is the worst one.

XxSephirothxX
06-24-2007, 05:14 AM
The older ones are better, and not just because they're older. The storylines are better and there is better acting. And you don't know the endings.

The best episode is The Empire Strikes Back. This is not up for discussion. Nor is the fact that Attack of the Clones is the worst one.
Agreed. Empire Strikes Back is not only the best in the series, it's an absolutely amazing movie in its own right. Seriously one of the best ever.

My friends and I had a Star Wars marathon just a couple days ago. We watched all six movies in a row. :p

Ryth
06-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Older ones, of course. Empire Strikes Back probably being the best. Episode I is also easily the :skull::skull::skull::skull:tiest movie in the series.

Ishin Ookami
06-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I rather enjoy episode IV myself. But yes, Empire strikes back is the best in the series, followed closely by revenge of the sith. I don't know why so many people hate on ROTS, maybe because after the jar jar binks and little annie show that was Phantom Menace, and the worst romantic sequences ever in Attack of the Clones, it was considered cool to hate on the third before it even got released. I think it redeemed the prequels cuz hey, it showed that Anakin and Obi-Wan actually had respect for eachother, something Episode II failed to do, and the final fight between them was made very tragic. Granted their friendship should have been shown in Episode II, instead of the I'm a Jedi master dick/I'm a bratty choosen one, antagonistic relationship that Part II showed. Episode II also really kicked into gear once the the whole, executive order 66 thing kicked in, and I personally liked how Palpatine was such a effen scheming snake. It had it's flaws, but it still ended up a pretty good film.

As for worst, Phantom Menace. I mean c'mon, AOTC had plenty wrong with it, but TPM was just gawd awful, redeemed only by the Darth Maul confrontation.

Zante
06-24-2007, 10:39 AM
I prefer the new ones, they are much cooler in my opinion. The effects and fighting are much better. The old ones are great, but they just can't hold up to the newer trilogy.

starseeker
06-24-2007, 10:41 AM
The original trilogy is much better than the newer films. They didn't rely on flashy special effects, but on the acting and storyline.

Rengori
06-24-2007, 11:20 AM
In the order you asked: Original, IV, and I.

Quindiana Jones
06-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Older ones fo' sho'. I love 'em all, but the older ones were waaaaay ahead of their time, whereas the new ones were just films.

Swan
06-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Revenge of the Sith is the outright best, being almost twice as good as some of the others. But, I can't say that the new trilogy is the best with fairly weak episodes like I & 2.

None of the older ones are really that amazing (out of the Star Wars movies that is. Star wars in itself is amazing), but they are consistently entertaining and therefore I'd go the old ones over new.

Revenge of the Sith

Daylight

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
A new Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace (not nesscarrily bad, just beaten by better films)

daggertrepe
06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
V.

darkchrono
06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
The originals are better because there is alot more focus in it than their is in the new trilogy.

I think a big problem with the new trilogy is is that throughout the majority of the three movies there was no real defined bad guy who you knew you had to fight to save the day.

Count Dooku couldn't really be counted as a true villian and Darth Sidious was pretty much hiding in the shadows during the first two movies. It wasn't until Darth Sidious started getting considerable screen time in Ep. III that the focus of the trilogy really started shaping up and everything around it started getting better.

Now take the original trilogy. In the original trilogy you knew who you had to fight and defeat in order to save the day from the very beginning. And all three movies had a real focus because of that.

I think many of the problems of Ep. I and II stem from a lack of focus in the storyline.

I heard that much of the backstory that Lucas had in his head all these years was put into Ep. III. While many of the events in Ep. I and II he made up when he started making the new trilogy.

VorpalCyberWolf
06-24-2007, 05:12 PM

I'm not sure if I would say acting, but the writing for sure. Some of the dialogue was so lacking in the new series that I can see why some of the acting was cheesy and lacking (or in abundances) of emotion. Some of the actors are great actors (Ewon Mcgreggor, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson) they just really didn't have as much to work with.

I mean, how can you beat Han Solo's oneliners?

My favorite is V, followed closely by VI. My least favorite is II, followed closely by I.

Mr.SimpleandClean
06-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Well sense i wasnt born back in 19-tweleve imma have to say the newer ones, cause thats my style and my time frame...

oddler
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM

That's what I was going to say.

Nominus Experse
06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Empire Strikes Back is by far the best of the series - as has already been stated.

The newer episodes revealed what everyone was asking, but it did so in a very embarrassing fashion... It seems that the movies steadily became more and more a practice of technological masturbation rather than any real efforts in effectively communicating a moving, intriguing story.

Which is a real shame, to be honest, since Anakin's story is so very rich with wonder and conflict - externally and internally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and politically.

edczxcvbnm
06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Star Wars IV: A New Hope is the Best.
Attack of the Clones was the worst by far.

Slade
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
The original trilogy was alot better. They were more like adventures where as the newer trilogy was basically a history lesson with a whole bunch of talking. That said, I did enjoy the newer trilogy, but just prefered the older one.

Best: VI: Return of the Jedi
Worst: II: Attack of the Clones

escobert
06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Empire is my favorite with the phantom menace being my least favorite.

Momiji
06-27-2007, 04:37 AM

Agreed. Empire Strikes Back is not only the best in the series, it's an absolutely amazing movie in its own right. Seriously one of the best ever.

My friends and I had a Star Wars marathon just a couple days ago. We watched all six movies in a row. :p

I pretty much agree with all of that. The Empire Strikes Back is probably the only Star Wars title I'll watch anymore, because I don't care for the others anymore. Episode I: The Phantom Menace was by far the worst in my eyes.