PDA

View Full Version : Emo, The true definition

Sunny Day Suicide
06-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Im sick of people bashing this term as if its a crime to be one. No one knows wtf emo is anymore. Everyone assumes its dudes wit one long bang, crazy hair, and on myspace 24/7. And a lot seem to think you have to cut to be emo. No. Emo has nothing to do with being sad. Thats just a mood that comes wit it.

Emo stands for emotional, which is what most early fans will say. I guess this is true. But its not screaming at the top of your lungs about your pet dog dying. Its how you play it is what makes a song or band have its genre. You can play metal and have emotional lyrics and still call it metal. If this is so, then how come if an emo band wrote about having sex or something theyre suddenly not emo anymore. Lyrics are half of it but the vocals and the instrumentation counts too.

Emo is not, like I said before, whining at the top of your lungs like a little girl then crying in a wet pillow. Emo started out as a sort of hardcore punk with just more personal lyrics. Thats not too bad now is it? Well in the mid 90's, it became more of an indie thing while still having its punk origins. But if you listen to old emo classics now you wouldnt hear none of that in there. What you would hear is not what you call "punk" nowadays or even indie. Its just plain emo.

Now some bands..

Fall out Boy, My chemical Romance, Panic! At the disco, Hawthorne Heights, Coheed And Cambria, From First To Last, The Used, & Underoath.

NOT EMO

Know whats real emo?

Christie Front Drive, The Get Up Kids, The Juliana Theory, Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, The Promise Ring, Saves The Day, Sunny Day Real Estate, & Texas Is The Reason.

Btw, Rites Of Spring started emo, which like I said before, was just a punk band that had more personal lyrics then the rest of the bands at the time. Compare them wit the rest of the bands I listed and theyre nothing like em. The other bands are more of the indie-fused emo, which is just pure, 120% emo.

And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags. Honestly. Go get a music genre to bond wit assholes before you steal emo out of its territory.

And back to the "cutting" thing. Remember, you dont got to cut to be emo. If you cut and listen to metal..Guess what? YOURE STILL A METAL HEAD. So quit being stupid. If you listen to emo music and dont cut, youre still emo. Obviously, right?

LunarWeaver
06-24-2007, 06:24 AM
If only the mullet would come back and destroy all these labels, we wouldn't have to muse over such matters.

Cz
06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
The saga continues. :O_O:

Rengori
06-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Emo stands for emotional
Truly?! (http://demented3d.com/ffiv/images/screens/40.jpg)

Markus. D
06-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Perhaps not classing all bands music in one as being part of the Emotional Punk genre.

I know for a fact that Fall Out Boy has written 3 Emotional songs within there albums.

and Jimmy Eat World has a couple of happy songs :333

Sunny Day Suicide
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah but thats the thing. Emotional doesnt always have to be sad. Yes JEW have written happy stuff but theyre still emo. It all depends on instrumentation and the vocals before you listne to the lyrics. FOB and emo are never supposed to be used in the same sentence. Theyre not emo. Even if they've written sad stuff before, theyre not emo. And stop gettting the concept that if a song is sad, it is emo. No its not. If its a sad pop song, then what is it? Still pop right?

demondude
06-24-2007, 03:08 PM
I was reading this thread and a google ad was by the banner which said

Emo
buy womens clothing on ebay

Thus we have our definition

Mirage
06-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Actually, it's short for emotive, not emotional. Good try though.

Araciel
06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
so emo=bands that aren't as popular as other emo bands?

Shine On...
06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
WHERE;S MOSS ICON!?

NeoCracker
06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I'll take this time to say Jimmy Eat World Kicks ass.

Ryth
06-25-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm still waiting for Cap'n Jazz to be mentioned.

It's all emo to me, late 80's or third wave bubblegum pop emo. It's still emo, it just changed. The first wave bands are just the only emo bands that aren't blatant rip-offs of each other and generally unambitious crap made to make money.

P.S. Seriously, Cap'n Jazz.

Venom
06-25-2007, 01:29 AM
People still care about the whole emo thing?

Mr.SimpleandClean
06-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Whoa, whoa! FOB isnt emo? Whoa....panic at the disco? (no emo) ! when did this epidimic start?

Eiko Guy
06-25-2007, 02:44 AM
And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags.

I was sp in love with your post until I saw you write that. This forum doesn't tolerate derogatory language like that. Gay is OK. Quite a few people here are gay. So if you have a problem with "fags" you don't belong here.

Elly
06-25-2007, 02:49 AM
finaly someone that has it right, and yes Emo means emotional, not emotive, it was used by the indi mags at the time to shorten "Emotionaly Charged Punk Rock" as that is far to much for an indi rag to worry about typing out every time, they wanted to interview or do a pice on an Emo band, it was a term coined by the media of the time much like, "rock and roll", Pop (short for Popular Music), and "Heavy Metal", granted it was a lesser known part of the media that coined the term Emo, and now the term is being horribly misused by these kids that don't like to research what they claim to be...

Sunny Day Suicide
06-25-2007, 02:58 AM
THANK YOU!!!

Someone knows where Im coming from.

And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags.

I was sp in love with your post until I saw you write that. This forum doesn't tolerate derogatory language like that. Gay is OK. Quite a few people here are gay. So if you have a problem with "fags" you don't belong here.

I dont have a problem wit fags. Its called verbal use buddy. A lot of people use words differently then what they mean. So if offended anybody, my bad

Eiko Guy
06-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I am not as offended by the word than by the way you used it. You said they are a bunch of "fags", in a very derogatrive way. It hurts...guess I'm emo now. J/k I've always been emo.

El Bandito
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
and now the term is being horribly misused by these kids that don't like to research what they claim to be...

See that's the problem. It doesn't matter the origins of a term, all that matters is the people who associate themselves with the term nowadays. If a bunch of scene kids start regularly calling themselves emo, then in society's eyes that's what they are.

The same think happened with ska kids and the term "rude boy". You can vent all you want, but if that's the image of emo in society's eyes, it'll be hard to change it again.

Polaris
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm not offended by the word emo even though I don't even like MCR, PATD and FOB! I once wrote a lyric and a guy called me emo and I was shocked coz the lyric wasn't emo at all! It just had feelings on it .... I let society do what they want! :eep:

Garnie
06-25-2007, 06:50 PM
i never knew what a emo was until resently i thought a emo was a type of big bird lol!

ZeZipster
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Everyone with half a brain realizes it's retarded to label yourself as somehow more "emotional" than every other genre of music. Music is ABOUT CONVEYING EMOTION. That's why Fugazi, the grandfather of the genre known as "emo" today, were offended to be called "emo". For god sakes, we're talking about the guy who started the trend of sharping Xs on your hand to show you don't do drugs, and he won't take responsibility for emo. That's saying something.

Little bit of history, emocore, the original emo that the alleged "emo" bands of today drew their style from were completely different than what we know today. Emocore was part of the Hardcore scene of the '80s (I know, *GASP*, you aren't following some hip new trend). But that's really a completely different story, because comparing emo of today to '80s hardcore punk, well it's an insult to '80s hardcore punk.

I can almost guarantee every single band you find to be emo, will in fact be on a big corporate record label. That's because big corporate labels love the new swarm of loser desperately trying to fit in by listening to only 1 genre of music. They don't care if it's a meaningless label. But most bands, do. It's really quite as simple as "Here kids! Here's a hip new EMOTIONAL kind of music. Yeah now with more EMOTIONS!" and up comes a swarm of kids screaming and yelling. I'm sure a lot of you have wondered why your favorite "emo" band refuses to put emo on their MySpace as their genre. To put it simply, it's an insult.

Cool Revolutionary
06-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Know whats real emo?

Christie Front Drive, The Get Up Kids, The Juliana Theory, Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, The Promise Ring, Saves The Day, Sunny Day Real Estate, & Texas Is The Reason.

so your point is.....real emo......is just as crap as fake emo?

Ryth
06-25-2007, 11:37 PM
If you listen to emo music and dont cut, youre still emo. Obviously, right?

I have to mention this part: this line makes you a moron.

Araciel
06-25-2007, 11:37 PM
any music that's good is usually emotional or 'emotionally charged'

Cool Revolutionary
06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
yeah but that isnt what people are on about when they say "emo" is it?
Dyslexicon there not talking about emotionally charged music. there talking about a little drip with one eye bigger than the other, and totally tripe drab, un-original music.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
06-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Now some bands..

Fall out Boy, My chemical Romance, Panic! At the disco, Hawthorne Heights, Coheed And Cambria, From First To Last, The Used, & Underoath.

NOT EMO

THANK YOU.

Sorry, just wanted to say that. It pisses me off when people say that they're emo. Anyway, I agree with your definition of it, but can't we just move on? There will probably always be a discussion about this, and people will always have different of what it is. So keeping this going won't change that. :p

Cool Revolutionary
06-26-2007, 12:16 AM
to solve the problems of this discussion, lets just make a big thread where everyone insults emo, because however you define it....it turns out to be pathetic.:tongue:

Eiko Guy
06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Actually if you think about it, emo does actually mean tightpants, eyeliner, and cutting.

Just like gay used to mean happy and now its a sexual orientation. Emo used to be what you described, but now the majority of people that use it have tight pants, eyeliner, selfharming, crybabies in mind. So that's what emo is. Not what you may want but hey societies decision not yours.

LunarWeaver
06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Proof that taking a stand in anything is pointless and we should all just get drunk.

Eiko Guy
06-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Lunarweaver is my new idol.

Mirage
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Props to eiko guy. Good to know I'm not the only one who is aware that words and expressions change meanings over time.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Proof that taking a stand in anything is pointless and we should all just get drunk.

Weeeeeb ahead of you!

*passes out*

I once tried to understand what the difference between techo and trance and house music was, but I just couldn't. They sound far too similar.

I think it's a waste of time trying to define two different subgenres when there's not a lot of distinction between them.

Mirage
06-26-2007, 01:05 AM
It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between the three. I can't eplain it in words though. I feel music, I don't think it. :p

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 01:09 AM
I can't eplain it in words though. I feel music, I don't think it. :p

What, stick your hand into it? If it's like cold spaghetti, it's techno? :D

Mirage
06-26-2007, 01:20 AM
What's wrong with cold spaghetti? Wait, don't tell me you don't like cold pizza either!

Eiko Guy
06-26-2007, 01:55 AM
It's setled. If you don't like cold pizza you can't join the club. WShat club you ask. I'm not exactly sure.

Mirage
06-26-2007, 02:14 AM
The first rule of the cold pizza club is
You do not speak of the cold pizza club.

The second rule of the cold pizza club is
You do not speak of the cold pizza club.

Eiko Guy
06-26-2007, 02:19 AM
I'll remember that.

Anyhoo I don't see why something being labeled emo when its not is such a huuuuge ====D~~~~ deal is.

Sunny Day Suicide
06-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Wow, I thought I was getting somewhere for a second..

Rostum
06-26-2007, 03:23 AM
If only the mullet would come back and destroy all these labels, we wouldn't have to muse over such matters.

You'd be surprised what you may find in Australia. :cool:

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 03:27 AM
Actually if you think about it, emo does actually mean tightpants, eyeliner, and cutting.

Just like gay used to mean happy and now its a sexual orientation. Emo used to be what you described, but now the majority of people that use it have tight pants, eyeliner, selfharming, crybabies in mind. So that's what emo is. Not what you may want but hey societies decision not yours.

Oh yeah, I just thought of something: R 'n' B.

Its original meaning was Rhythm and Blues, but after time it changed to Rhythm and Bass. Which is more relevant today?

nozkits
06-26-2007, 05:58 AM
I just have to say that its the end of American rock/pop culture, and the emo trend killed it in my opinion..

*goes back to listening Jrock and getting his Turkish style street clothing out.

Momiji
06-27-2007, 04:33 AM
I like the original emo music and the emo music of today. >_>

eestlinc
06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Did you change your name, Sunny Day Suicide, just to make it more amusing to see a thread called "Emo, the true definition" created by the member Sunny Day Suicide on the forum index?

No.78
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I dislike the emo style just as much as I dislike any style, because I think it's silly to conform to any style. It's like the indie thing, how ironic is that?

Sweet Beloved
06-28-2007, 01:21 AM
I don't go much for steriotypes.
But I love the emo style, lyrics, and sound.
It does have personal meanings to them, and I love it.
For someone like myself, the songs really mean something to me, and I relate to it.
Everything changes. Emo isn't what it was, but none the less, I like it as it is now and I liked what it was before.
But that's just me.

Oh and to top it off, My Chemical Romance is neither Emo, nor Gothic. They're like in-between. And as for Underoath, Christian Screamo.
Thanx.

Dark_Valentine
06-28-2007, 01:58 AM
here's the definition of "emo" :
Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 yr. olds who don't smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favourite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5ths of the face at an angle.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

that basically says everything u said wasn't "emo"...and I do agree w/ u up to a point...but wen u said that it was more about the music than the lyrics, thats wen u lost me. ok...the lyrics can be sad, yes, I do agree w/ u there, but they sing about stuff that may have happened to them...things that other ordinary ppl can relate to...the music is part of it, yes...but not the whole, main part of it. That's my opinion on that subject and get ur bands straight too...Underoath is christian!!!! *sighs*

Spammerman
06-28-2007, 02:42 AM
I hope you dudes know thats Crash.

Hambone
06-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Im sick of people bashing this term as if its a crime to be one. No one knows wtf emo is anymore. Everyone assumes its dudes wit one long bang, crazy hair, and on myspace 24/7. And a lot seem to think you have to cut to be emo. No. Emo has nothing to do with being sad. Thats just a mood that comes wit it.

Emo stands for emotional, which is what most early fans will say. I guess this is true. But its not screaming at the top of your lungs about your pet dog dying. Its how you play it is what makes a song or band have its genre. You can play metal and have emotional lyrics and still call it metal. If this is so, then how come if an emo band wrote about having sex or something theyre suddenly not emo anymore. Lyrics are half of it but the vocals and the instrumentation counts too.

Emo is not, like I said before, whining at the top of your lungs like a little girl then crying in a wet pillow. Emo started out as a sort of hardcore punk with just more personal lyrics. Thats not too bad now is it? Well in the mid 90's, it became more of an indie thing while still having its punk origins. But if you listen to old emo classics now you wouldnt hear none of that in there. What you would hear is not what you call "punk" nowadays or even indie. Its just plain emo.

Now some bands..

NOT EMO

Know whats real emo?

Btw, Rites Of Spring started emo, which like I said before, was just a punk band that had more personal lyrics then the rest of the bands at the time. Compare them wit the rest of the bands I listed and theyre nothing like em. The other bands are more of the indie-fused emo, which is just pure, 120% emo.

And stop getting mixed up wit those stupid scene kids on myspace. They got no lives and are a bunch of fags. Honestly. Go get a music genre to bond wit assholes before you steal emo out of its territory.

And back to the "cutting" thing. Remember, you dont got to cut to be emo. If you cut and listen to metal..Guess what? YOURE STILL A METAL HEAD. So quit being stupid. If you listen to emo music and dont cut, youre still emo. Obviously, right?
Satisfied?

Sunny Day Suicide
06-28-2007, 03:56 AM
...I dont get it..

Gopher Gamble
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Emo....the new N word. I'm sorry but I can't help but feel this whole topic is silly.

Eiko Guy
06-30-2007, 02:05 AM
It is. Whats emoto you might not be emo to someone else. If I want to label something emo you can accept it or not but either way I won't have to care

PyroManiak
06-30-2007, 03:12 AM
I hate when people want to be emo...sometimes they may even get desperate

Fatal Impurity
06-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Seriously Emo is just what the majority of people who call themselves Emo is...depressed, makeup wearing, punk/screaming rock fans with a penchant for self harm.