PDA

View Full Version : Missing Keyboard keys

Lionx
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Recently a friend of mine lost a few keys on his notebook Gateway 200 Arc. Do you happen to know where we can get individual keys? He doesnt wanna get another whole new keyboard. Thanks!

Discord
06-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't think that even eBay would sell this sort of thing. On the second thought though, eBay.

Why wouldn't he just get a new keyboard though? If the keys keep falling out it's barely a sign for that keyboard's good longevity.

Rostum
06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Why wouldn't he just get a new keyboard though? If the keys keep falling out it's barely a sign for that keyboard's good longevity.

He said his friend is using a notebook. Not as easy to get the keyboard replaced on those. =P

Tell him to contact the manufacturer of the notebook and see if they can help out. I don't know how exactly you lose keys, you shouldn't really be taking them off. >.>;

Lionx
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Well its not like he pryed it, its a pretty old laptop and when things fall on your laptop by accident, it can be lost. Warranty however is expired as its an old laptop and he got it from a friend, and he also doesnt wanna get a notebook keyboard replacement unless he has to since those cost upt o $60 for one just for a few keys.

Any other alternatives?

Rostum
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
No. Finding keys for a keyboard, especially for a laptop's keyboard, is going to be extremely hard and not worth it.

Honestly, I don't really see how they have fallen off even if it is old. He must not have taken care of it at all, because I still have a laptop around from 2000-2001, and it's in perfect condition (apart from the crappy specs).

If he was given it from a friend, I don't really see the harm in spending $60 to replace the keyboard.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Couldn't he always buy a USB keyboard and use that as an alternative keyboard, if he really wanted to? I know I have seen people in some of my classes instead of using their notebook keyboard, they pull out a USB keyboard and hook it to use instead. Getting a USB keyboard to drag around would be much less convenient though, unless he only used it at home. :/

Xaven
06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Reroute some relatively unused (but intact) keys on his keyboard to what the missing ones were, maybe? Pretty hard to type though, pressing something like End instead of E. :o

Forgot how to do all that. :D Ask a techy.

Discord
06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, I guess there's only one solution for that: Remove the rest of the keys and use a metal rod for typing. A good way to amaze your girlfriend one last time.:p

Levian
06-28-2007, 01:01 AM
When I lost half a kilo sugar into my keyboard, I replaced some of the keys with mastermind pieces. It was not an optimal solution, but it was definitely a colourful one.