PDA

View Full Version : Can Cuppa Soups even go off????

Quindiana Jones
06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I wanted breakfast. But there's no quick food in the house and I'm too lazy to make anything. However, I spotted some Tomato Cuppa Soup. So, I made it. In a cup.

But I think it's gone off. It's really manky tasting (even for a Cuppa Soup!), and it's not very.....soup like. It just looks like very thin blood. Needless to say, I'm not eating it. I've got the very strange feeling I'll get diarrhea. Icky. And that would not be good for a 10hr flight. :(

Umm...right....topic....ooh I know! Have you ever thought that something was past it's eat-by-date, but eaten it anyway? What happened? DID YOU DIE????

Markus. D
06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I searched Mitto's house and found all sorts off Off food-stuffs boku

Shlup
06-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I didn't know there was such a think as tomato Cuppa Soup.

Chemical
06-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I remember in highschool home ec. class my teacher was explaining all the different types of food poisoning; one of them was botulism; caused by anarobic bacteria growing inside dented food cans.

Anyways - the symptoms of botulism are death.

So if you die - it was botulism all along.

EDIT:

Yeah I eat a lot of things I shouldn't; I hate wasting food ... I haven't died but my anus has burned something aweful on many occasion. I can deffinately say that spooning out the mold from turned speghetti sauce does not make the sauce any less spoiled.

Quindiana Jones
06-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I didn't know there was such a think as tomato Cuppa Soup.

Well there is. So get out.

........:bigsmile:.

escobert
06-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Chicken and beef are the only way to go.

Fonzie
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Are you a vampire? If not, don't drink it.

escobert
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh and how do cups of soup "go off"? where do they go?

Peegee
06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
That's pretty disturbing that cuppa-soup can expire. I'm scared.

/hides behind ramen

Namelessfengir
06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
dont be such a wuss just dump in a bunch of crackers and eat it!!!~
yu'll be fine and if not ill write your next of kin
cool?

Dynast-Kid
06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
One time I found stale croutons, added tons of spices and seasonings (garlic and onion powder, black pepper, paprika, chicken seasoning, cinnamon, and a buch of other random stuff in the pantry), and then I ate them. They were really good.:jess: I wish I had them right now.

Rocket Edge
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
All I want to say is that CuppaSoups are extraordinary!

Mirage
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Hermetics and freeze-dried foods practically never spoils. Same with most other things that are completely dry and kept in a sealed container. This includes stuff as pasta, instant noodles, instant "most other stuff", rice, etc. Chocolate is known to last for years too.

Me? I'm currently using butter 5 months past its expiration date, and I've bought meat that's about to expire (it was cheaper!), for then to deep freeze it for a couple of weeks, then eat it. As long as it hasn't expired by the time you deep freeze it, it's ok. You shouldn't re-freeze it after defrosting it though. In general, if it smells and looks like it should, I'll usually eat it. If it's not fresh meat or dairy products, the expiration dates are grossly exaggerated, I find, and I hate throwing away food.

crono_logical
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I've had Weetabix go off before :p

~*~Celes~*~
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh and how do cups of soup "go off"? where do they go?

I think that's a UK expression, basically meaning that it's expired.

Well, when I was in NYC on a band class trip last month, the hotel we stayed at didn't know how to set out fresh milk in the buffet, apparently, because the last morning there while on the phone with Alan, who seemed to enjoy calling in the morning while I was eatin' breakfast, I was drinking some milk that tasted a bit funky. Now, I'd been having sinus and allergy problems the whole trip, and that morning was the first morning I'd actually been able to taste anything, so I figured it was supposed to taste that way. However, I realised I was wrong when it was a bit slower coming out of the carton than it should have been...I told Alan and he said "well, maybe it's expired," but I was too damn lazy to check the date on it, so I drank all of it. I felt nauseous not long afterward, but a nice White Chocolate Mocha from the hotel's Starbucks helped :bigsmile:

I wasn't the only one that'd noticed it was expired, either. Another girl poured some into her cereal bowl and commented on how chunky and slimy it was. Lovely, ne? :sweatdrop

Shiny
06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
There's a reason they say don't eat food past the expired date. The labels are not kidding. The worse I got was nausea from expired chips I bought from the school cafeteria. I assumed they wouldn't sell kids expired food, but then again they sell stale bagels so it fits. And I thought tomato soup always looks like blood?

Mirage
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
For some kinds of food, it can be a "just in case" thing to protect them from lawsuits. Seriously, hermetics are edible for decades, but the expiration date says just a few years. Dunno about your case. It could be the chips (I'm assuming you're not talking about fries, which the brits are known to call chips), but I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility that it was caused by something else. If a bag of chips needed more than half a year to get past its expiration date, I really doubt one or two weeks more or less would make much of a difference.

Or maybe I've just built up an immunity to that sort of stuff :p.

Over here, we use "best before" instead of "expiration date", which I generally interpret as "edible after this date, but might not taste as awesome as it's supposed to".