PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit and family found dead at home

Big D
06-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Pro wrestler Chris Benoit, wife and son found dead - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap--wrestlerdead&prov=ap&type=lgns)

No details as yet, but still disturbing news.
That's quite a lot of high-profile pro wrestlers who've died young in the last couple of years... hope the authorities can determine - and announce - what was responsible for Mr Benoit and his wife and son losing their lives.

Jessweeee♪
06-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I didn't know RAW was in my town today O_O

When I was little I'd watch WCW with my uncle every week, and when sumthin happened to that we watched WWF. This is horrible...oh, man, I'm getting creeped out thinking about it.

JackNapier
06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Apparently he murdered his son and wife during the weekend, and committed suicide Monday morning. I'm still in shock, I wonder what drove him to do this. He reportedly had not been able to show at the PPV due to 'family matters'. This is all very eerie.

Sergeant Hartman
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Damn......

Madame Adequate
06-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Faked for ratings.

Big D
06-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I doubt they could convince the authorities to go along with a hoax that extreme, and that callous.

DK
06-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah this ain't fake. It's fucked up, is what it is. Although I'm not buying the 'he killed his wife and kid and then himself' thing. Someone mentioned them suggesting that they think his wife might have killed the son, and he then killed her in a fit of rage and then himself. Which makes more sense considering he dropped out of the Vengance PPV to go home for a "family emergency".

Anyway at the end of the day one of the greatest wrestlers of all time is gone, and regardless of whatever he did last weekend his legacy in the ring still stands for me so I'm still going to miss him on the shows.

Griff
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah this ain't fake. It's smurfed up, is what it is. Although I'm not buying the 'he killed his wife and kid and then himself' thing. Someone mentioned them suggesting that they think his wife might have killed the son, and he then killed her in a fit of rage and then himself. Which makes more sense considering he dropped out of the Vengance PPV to go home for a "family emergency".

As much as I would love to believe that (as opposed to Benoit killing both), the reports say that his wife was killed on Saturday (the day Chris went home because of a "family emergency") and the son on Sunday. At this point we don't even know the cause of death. Until everything is made clear, we shouldn't make up any theories on what happened.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

Rest in peace Chris, Nancy and Daniel Benoit. :(

Bunny
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Apparently he murdered his son and wife during the weekend, and committed suicide Monday morning. I'm still in shock, I wonder what drove him to do this. He reportedly had not been able to show at the PPV due to 'family matters'. This is all very eerie.

'roid rage

RARRAGGHAH BENOIT SMASH

D: (too soon?)

I was kinda shocked when I found out about this thing, even though I don't watch wrestling anymore. It's always kinda sad when a child loses their life for whatever reason.

Garnie
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
theres no news about this on the uk! it would have been top headlines on news 24.
im supprised at this as the only news they have been talking about is the flood warnings!
if it is a hoax, then its a sick one because alot of people are totally upset about it.
we will just have to wait it out i guess.

Bunny
06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Filing a fake police report is against the law. All crimes, regardless of circumstance, must have a police report filed. Therefore, this cannot be fake.

Garnie
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Filing a fake police report is against the law. All crimes, regardless of circumstance, must have a police report filed. Therefore, this cannot be fake.

i guess so but it still doesnt explain why news 24 hasnt reported it??
theres a huge fan base of wrestling in the uk!
somthing like this would have been surley reported straight away but it has'nt!
its just a little odd thats all!

Bunny
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, it was bad timing. I mean, Paris Hilton was also just released from jail!

Garnie
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
gawd whats this world coming to??

Del Murder
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Holy crap, that sucks. What the heck happened here?

Doomie
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
It's really weird. I just booted up my ghetto Smackdown 2 a couple months ago, and restarted my season with Chris Benoit. This is really weird, and I hope the murder-suicide theory isn't true.

edczxcvbnm
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I am glad they stopped their 'Vince is dead storyline' for at least one night to pay tribute to Benoit. He was a great wrestler and was entertaining to watch.

Details about what happened will be coming out in the next few days. Until then it will be speculation...I guess.

Raistlin
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
According to the AP, Benoit killed his wife and son before hanging himself. <a href="http://www.wyff4.com/entertainment/13568264/detail.html?treets=gs&tml=gs_natlbreak&ts=T&tmi=gs_natlbreak_1_11530306262007">Full article here</a>.

escobert
06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, this is crazyness. Didn't really ever follow wrestling but he was on of then names I knew.

demondude
06-26-2007, 07:30 PM
s**t I dint believe this when i first read it im a big fan of wrestling.

Isnt it ironic eddie guerero and chris benoit were friends eddie died and now chris died.

And just when the fake mr mcmahon death storyline was unfolding i swear there is something not right at wwe at the moment

Damnit.:mad2:

prayzer
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I read it on MSN this morning. I haven't really watched wrestling in years, but "The Canadian Crippler" was one of my favs. :cry:

Madame Adequate
06-26-2007, 07:41 PM

If people never did anything against the law, chances are Mr. Benoit and family would still be alive.

Fonzie
06-26-2007, 07:43 PM
He killed his wife and kid on the weekend, then himself on Monday. Friends said they recieved weird text messages which lead to a police report.

CimminyCricket
06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Where was that information found?

JackNapier
06-26-2007, 08:22 PM

It's all over the place, turn on CNN right now.

CimminyCricket
06-26-2007, 08:23 PM

It's all over the place, turn on CNN right now.

I meant that he killed his family.
Edit: Nevermind

Rocket Edge
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
This really is shocking news. Someone said steroids had an influence in this tradigy, being whatever substance or frame of mind he obviously wasn't right in the head to commit such a brutal crime.

I'm so sad it had to be Benoit, he was enteraining to watch, and he was a hall of famer. :mad:

Hazzard
06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm fucking pissed off now, he was one of the most remarkable wrestlers, and now him and Eddie Guerroro have both died. What kind of sick bastard would do that :skull::skull::skull::skull: anyway. Bloody hell I'm angry.

R.I.P - Rabbit Wolverine/Chris Benoit

Fonzie
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm smurfing pissed off now, he was one of the most remarkable wrestlers, and now him and Eddie Guerroro have both died. What kind of sick bastard would do that :skull::skull::skull::skull: anyway. Bloody hell I'm angry.

He killed himself, and his family.

Hazzard
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm smurfing pissed off now, he was one of the most remarkable wrestlers, and now him and Eddie Guerroro have both died. What kind of sick bastard would do that :skull::skull::skull::skull: anyway. Bloody hell I'm angry.

He killed himself, and his family.

Crap, I never read that part, but I've read through the whole thread and the articles. Benoit must of been in some mental frame of mind, and well...still, he was a good wrestler.

Araciel
06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
that sucks when people die.

Psychotic
06-26-2007, 10:24 PM
When I was 12/13 and loved wrestling, Benoit was my absolute favourite. Now a childhood icon has turned out to be a crazed murderer so I feel kinda dirty. Still a top wrestler though, for sure.

My brother quickly went and ordered a Benoit action figure, as apparently WWE are destroying all of his merchandise.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
My brother quickly went and ordered a Benoit action figure, as apparently WWE are destroying all of his merchandise.

Really? Wow... :(

CimminyCricket
06-26-2007, 10:44 PM

Damn.

Tasura
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
This was on the news a few minutes ago, apparently Benoit strangled his wife and son before killing himself, according to what the police at the news said, all three died from asphyxiation. They also said they were investigating the cause, and somewhat focusing on steroids being the possible cause.

Big D
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I shudder to think of what kind of steroids could drive someone to such a homicidal frenzy... but I've heard of that kind of thing before, only never to such a grotesque extent.
Back in the WCW days, when I followed the pro wrestling scene, Benoit always came across as calm, collected and serious without being single-minded. If his in-ring persona was even close to his real personality, then the alleged events of the weekend represent an absolute reversal of everything he seemed to represent.

Jowy
06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Ditto that childhood hero thing...good lord, I was saddened when I read the thread title and have moved to flat out disgusted. =/

DK
06-27-2007, 12:30 AM
It wasn't any rage induced frenzy, according to the latest reports. The murder of the wife and son both appear to have been calculated, seeing as the Wife was bound by the feet and wrists, both of them had a closed bible placed next to them and the death of the wife was on Friday and the son anywhere up to early Sunday.

It's really just a massively fucked case and I'm still sort of shocked and finding it difficult to believe.

ReloadPsi
06-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Um... wow. Just fucking wow. Don't know what to say...

CimminyCricket
06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
This really sucks, I wish there was some way to say he didn't do it. :c(

Del Murder
06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Back in the WCW days, when I followed the pro wrestling scene, Benoit always came across as calm, collected and serious without being single-minded. If his in-ring persona was even close to his real personality, then the alleged events of the weekend represent an absolute reversal of everything he seemed to represent.
This is exactly how I feel. This is all pretty smurfed up.

Bloodline666
06-27-2007, 02:22 AM
I started watching wrestling in the middle of 1991. Apparently, I picked a very bad time to start watching wrestling for two reasons; my favorite wrestler at the time, The Ultimate Warrior, mysteriously disappeared from what was then known as the WWF, and rumors of his death followed, which kinda made sense, because the Warrior at the time was in a feud with The Undertaker, who had a mortician gimmick (in reality, he was fired by Vince McMahon backstage right after his Summer Slam handicap match with Hulk Hogan against Sgt Slaughter, Col. Mustafa, and their manager whose ring name I cannot remember following a contract dispute, though he'd later be rehired, and refired for the same reasons, on two other occasions), and the whole steroid scandal involving McMahon and Hulk Hogan happened around the same time. The moment at which I stopped watching wrestling is when the 1999 Over The Edge accident involving Owen Hart's death happened (I happened to be watching that Pay Per View. As it turns out, it was the last wrestling Pay Per View I ever watched). That being said, I think the whole situation with Benoit, his wife, and his son, is unfortunate and downright despicable.

As for the whole "McMahon is dead" storyline, I find it in bad taste, especially now. I'm willing to bet that in light of a wrestler's "kayfabe" death coinciding with another wrestler's real one, the "Mr. McMahon" gimmick that was "killed off" will be back. And I guess that also means no more kayfabe deaths for The Undertaker (who's had his fair share, dating all the way back to the 1994 Royal Rumble).

Roto13
06-27-2007, 03:04 AM

His ring persona has nothing to do with anything.

He killed his wife and child. I hope there is a hell so he can burn forever. Sicko.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 03:34 AM

His ring persona has nothing to do with anything.

He killed his wife and child. I hope there is a hell so he can burn forever. Sicko.

I don't think those comments are needed here, he may have done something terrible but atleast show some respect for what he's done in life and the impact this has on alot of people.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 03:45 AM
I don't care if wrestling fans liked watching him. He did the worst thing you can possibly do to someone, and he did it to two people, and one of them was a 7-year-old boy. The impact this has on a lot of people is nothing compared to the impact it has on his wife and son and anyone who cared about them.

He was a "wrestler" (and I use the term loosely), not a freaking humanitarian.

Venom
06-27-2007, 03:52 AM
I agree with Roto.

Rostum
06-27-2007, 03:56 AM
I don't know who he is (never followed wrestling), but it is very sad that he chose to take his family's lives, including his own. I don't think I've ever read a case where steroids could actually put someone in such a state of mind to commit such a horrible act like that.

Edit: Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with Roto, as blunt as he puts it.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Sad to see how many people on EoFF would disrespect the dead, regardless of what he did, but for the guy to be a very successful professional wrestler who was a hero to many, I find that more disgusting than what he actually did. Show some respect for crying out loud. Yes it's a sad day for what he did, many are grieving, but that doesn't mean you should completely disregard what he has done with his life and who he was, I'm sure they wouldn't have directed their main show RAW to him if what he did, or who he was rather, didn't deserve some respect.

Also, I think the people who are agreeing with Roto simply don't know who he was, like Omecle said. Therefore of course you would feel that way because you know nothing about him unless you went and read wikipedia. This is proven by the fact that Roto claims he is "just a wrestler" when in fact, he IS just a wrestler, but he's also a legend.

Jessweeee♪
06-27-2007, 04:23 AM
What an amazing world we live in...

ljkkjlcm9
06-27-2007, 04:30 AM
the other forum I post at has the exact same argument going on, and it's the exact same people on both sides. The people who know nothing about him saying he should burn in hell, and those who saw him, knew about him, etc. saying to respect him.

No one knows why he did it, and of course it's a tragedy. Considering he met his wife through WCW and then had his kid etc. I highly doubt there was any signs that long ago of anything bad with the guy. After seeing him, his friends talk about him and such, I just think something snapped. I mean Guerrero died, one of his good friends, and who the hell else knows what happened in the guys life.

THE JACKEL

Goldenboko
06-27-2007, 04:32 AM
What an amazing sick and crazy world we live in...

Fixed

Fonzie
06-27-2007, 04:32 AM
Sad to see how many people on EoFF would disrespect the dead, regardless of what he did, but for the guy to be a very successful professional wrestler who was a hero to many, I find that more disgusting than what he actually did. Show some respect for crying out loud. Yes it's a sad day for what he did, many are grieving, but that doesn't mean you should completely disregard what he has done with his life and who he was, I'm sure they wouldn't have directed their main show RAW to him if what he did, or who he was rather, didn't deserve some respect.

Also, I think the people who are agreeing with Roto simply don't know who he was, like Omecle said. Therefore of course you would feel that way because you know nothing about him unless you went and read wikipedia. This is proven by the fact that Roto claims he is "just a wrestler" when in fact, he IS just a wrestler, but he's also a legend.

Pretty sure killing your family removes your hero status.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Ok, so I don't know much about him. So tell me. What wonderful things did he do in his life to excuse him for murdering his wife and 7-year-old son and turn him into anything other than a horrible bastard?

Jessweeee♪
06-27-2007, 04:50 AM
What he did was horrible and sick...but I don't believe anyone deserves to die, even if they kill others themselves. Even if they go hospital to hospital to slaughter children I still don't think they deserve to die.

That's just my personal belief, please don't go off on me...though I guess I should be ready for that if I'm going to speak my opinion.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Ok, so I don't know much about him. So tell me. What wonderful things did he do in his life to excuse him for murdering his wife and 7-year-old son and turn him into anything other than a horrible bastard?

Don't know. How about you ask that to the multiple hundreds of thousands, if not millions of fans, or even the billionaire Vince Mcmahon as to why he devoted their special 3 hour show to him.

I think he still deserves respect for who he was. Though, I think he should be pitied in how he turned out. If he had had some help maybe it wouldn't have turned out that way. Either way, he was who he was. He did great things in life, and those should be remembered well, but he also did something terribly wrong, which should be taken into consideration as well.

Quoted from someone, and I completely agree. They also have no idea who Chris Benoit is.

EDIT:

And I agree with Jessweeee♪, which is why I found your comment unneeded in a thread devoted to news about someone who died.

Del Murder
06-27-2007, 05:12 AM
No one is forgiving him for what he did, we are just shocked since his behavior is the complete opposite of what we've been accustomed to seeing of him on screen.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 05:13 AM
No one is forgiving him for what he did, we are just shocked since his behavior is the complete opposite of what we've been accustomed to seeing of him on screen.

Exactly.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 05:27 AM

Don't know. How about you ask that to the multiple hundreds of thousands, if not millions of fans, or even the billionaire Vince Mcmahon as to why he devoted their special 3 hour show to him.

... Ok? What's your point? People liked the character he played. Big freaking deal. If Alan Alda blew up an orphanage, I wouldn't overlook it because I thought Hawkeye was awesome in M*A*S*H.

Psychotic
06-27-2007, 05:30 AM
He was a "wrestler" (and I use the term loosely)You've never seen Chris Benoit wrestle, have you? Pro wrestling is called "sports entertainment", and Benoit fell firmly on the sports side of that.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 05:34 AM
That's like comparing the President to a Principal of a school. WWE is and always has been much larger than just a tv show.

Oh well, I'm done arguing about this.

R.I.P Chris.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 05:35 AM
I don't watch wrestling. It's a soap opera with oily people and even worse acting.

EDIT: That's ridiculous. WWE is no different from any other stupid TV drama except it pretended to be a sport for a very long time. You're still failing to come up with any reason why Chris Benoit was ever a "hero."

Big D
06-27-2007, 06:02 AM
You're still failing to come up with any reason why Chris Benoit was ever a "hero."Hero or not, he was still a person respected and admired by many. Nothing wrong with people appreciating fictional "heroes", either - I consider Captain bloody Picard a hero, for what that's worth.

Nothing can mitigate or excuse what he did to his family, of course, but it's going to provide some measure of comfort or closure for his fans if or when toxicology reports reveal just what drove him to such madness. Some of the reports concerning his divorce suggest a potential for violence, but nothing on this scale.
A disturbing number of deaths in pro wrestling have been attributed to the (mis)use of steroids and other drugs in recent years. Maybe this latest loss will trigger some kind of internal crack-down on such things, before anyone else is hurt or killed needlessly.

Khaotic
06-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Typical response I thought I'd see.

I'd like to see you do backflips on 5 foot tall ropes and landing on your chest, or other such acrobatic stunts and still call it not a sport, and just "any old soap opera". Wrestling is not fake. It's scripted, and that's all. Some injurys are part of the story line, but some are real. If you get injured while recording a soap opera, there is something wrong with your ability to stand properly.

Now seeing as this is getting off-topic and becoming just another debate on "zomg wrestling is fake" I really am going to stop here. A guy has died, no matter what he did, I'm not going to debate what he did was right or wrong anymore, and neither should you, but do as you wish. I don't doubt you'll want to reply with what I said, and i'll most likely read it, but I don't plan on replying unlike what I said in my last post.

Jessweeee♪
06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
It makes me sad to think that someone that was once a role model to so many would do this...I wonder what was going through his head?

Fonzie
06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Detailed WWE/Benoit timeline
Written: June 26, 2007

Below is a detailed WWE/Chris Benoit timeline from Saturday to Monday:

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chris Benoit was scheduled to appear at the WWE SmackDown/ ECW live event in Beaumont, Texas

3:30pm
A co-worker received a voice message from Benoit. The message from Benoit stated he missed his flight and over slept and would be late to the WWE Live Event. The co-worker called Benoit back, Benoit confirmed everything he said in his voice message and sounded tired and groggy. Benoit then stated, “I love you”. The co-worker stated that it was “out of context.”

3:42pm
The same co-worker was concerned with Benoit’s tone and demeanor and called Benoit for a second time. Benoit did not answer the call and the co-worker left a message stating “just call me back.”

3:44pm
Benoit called the co-worker back stating he didn’t answer the call because he was on the phone with Delta changing his flight. Benoit stated he had a real stressful day due to Nancy and Daniel being sick with food poisoning. They discussed travel plans for the WWE Tour of Texas with Benoit still sounding groggy at this point according to the co-worker.

4:30pm
A co-worker who consistently travels with Benoit, called Benoit from outside Houston airport and Benoit answered. Benoit told the co-worker that Nancy was throwing up blood and that Daniel was also throwing up. Benoit thought they had food poisoning. Benoit stated he changed his flight and he would be arriving into Houston at 6:30pm. Benoit told the co-worker to drive onto the WWE event.

5:35pm
Benoit called WWE Talent Relations stating that his son was throwing up and that he and Nancy were in the hospital with their son, and that Benoit would be taking a later flight into Houston, landing late, but would make the WWE live event in Beaumont.

6:10pm
A representative of Talent Relations called Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations asked Benoit what time Benoit was getting into Beaumont. Benoit responded he was leaving Atlanta at 9:20pm Eastern time arriving into Houston at 9:24pm Central time. The representative from Talent Relations advised Benoit that it would be too late to make the WWE live event in Beaumont. Benoit apologized citing he had a family emergency. The representative from Talent Relations suggested to Benoit that instead of going to the WWE live event in Beaumont, Benoit should take the flight to Houston, rest up and be ready for the Vengeance Pay-Per-View event.

6:13pm
The representative from Talent Relations called Benoit to reconfirm the travel plans with no answer from Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations left a voice message to take the flight and rest up.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Text messages sent to co-workers from Chris Benoit and Nancy Benoit’s cell phones:

Text Message 1
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am from
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 2
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am
Message: The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open

Text Message 3
When: 6/24 at 3:54am
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 4
When: 6/24 at 3:55am

Text Message 5
Sent to: A Co-Worker who consistently traveled with Benoit
When: 6/24 at 3:58am
Message: My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

WWE made several attempts to contact Benoit via phone and text messages, as well as, the local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 pm Sunday night there was no contact made with Benoit.

Monday, June 25, 2007

12:30pm
WWE was notified of text messages sent to the two co-workers.

12:45pm
WWE contacted the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office and requested them to go to Benoit’s
residence

4:00pm
WWE received a call from the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office, advising that they entered
the house of Benoit and found 3 deceased bodies (a male, a female and a child). The Fayette County Sheriff’s office has secured the house as a “major crime scene” and that the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office had no further information.

eestlinc
06-27-2007, 08:38 AM
One of my school friends is named Chris Benoit. I didn't know there was a wrestler with the same name.

All death is sad.

Parker
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
It is so weird to see the image of someone change overnight from a respected person to a murderer. I hope there will be a little consolation when the toxicology comes back and we find he was out of his head on 'roids. I can't believe he was in his right mind when he did this.

I hope to remember Benoit as the respected and refined technical wrestler he used to be rather than the bastard he was when he died.

Bunny
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't watch wrestling. It's a soap opera with oily people and even worse acting.

EDIT: That's ridiculous. WWE is no different from any other stupid TV drama except it pretended to be a sport for a very long time. You're still failing to come up with any reason why Chris Benoit was ever a "hero."

The amount of athleticism it takes to perform in this "soap opera" is beyond the majority of actual athletes. While the general idea behind wrestling is "entertainment value" anyone who outright denies that wrestling actually is a sport is ignorant.

As for whether or not he was a hero, that is very dependent on your definition of hero. Let's get optimistic here: Everyone is a hero. Right down to the smallest person, everyone has done something that, in the eyes of another, makes them a hero. While others might not agree with this assessment, it is pretty much true.

Raistlin
06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't know what grudge you have against wrestling, Roto, but you should at least be able to recognize the reality that a lot of people knew of and respect Benoit during his long career. Whatever you consider him an athlete, a celebrity, or anything in between, he was still a well-known and well-liked person among many pro-wrestling fans, of which there are many.

Yes, wrestling is scripted. But that does not take away from the athleticism required. Those people are definitely in shape and working hard. I don't watch pro-wrestling anymore; I personally now find it almost painfully bad to watch, though I did used to watch WCW back in the day.

Many people liked Benoit during his career, and now Benoit did something horrible and then killed himself. The posters I've seen in this thread are not trying to excuse his actions, but are merely shocked at this atrocity and mourning someone who had a great career that was thrown away.

Doomie
06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
It's not only the fact that he murdered that disturbs me, but the fact that someone I grew up watching and admiring committed these murders. Benoit's in-ring behavior, as well as the condolences given by his fellow wrestlers on the show give me reason to believe that Benoit was as calm and collected in the ring as he was outside of it. This is not normal behavior on his part, and a big part inside of me is hoping beyond hope that drugs played a part in some way. If it did, at least I can sleep slightly easier knowing that he wasn't in the right frame of mind when he did this. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't excuse him. It just makes me feel a little better.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, congratulations, Khaotic. Your hero is a disgusting murderer.

You people are also missing the point about the whole wrestling = soap opera thing. The point is that wrestling isn't important. It's another stupid show to watch on TV. That's it.

If I admired someone, I'd like to think the admiration would turn to disgust and loathing if he started murdering people.

fire_of_avalon
06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Roto, chill out. As far as anyone knows, he was out of his mind. You can't blame crazy people for being crazy. Also, you're purposefully trying to rile people up.

That goes for the rest of you, too. Don't try to rile anybody up, and even if you think he is a disgusting murderer, say that, and leave it at that. Quit the petty arguing.

Bunny
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Generally it does. I'm sure there are a lot of fans that did not approve of actions. Naturally, there are others who are in denial over the whole thing and believe there to be another explain. But that isn't really important.

See, wrestling is important (television as a whole is one of the most important creations in the last 100 years). Because it inspires some people to do whatever they can do. If a small boy sees one wrestling show, and is inspired to become a wrestler on said show, how you can call that unimportant?

Madame Adequate
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Many people liked Benoit during his career, and now Benoit did something horrible and then killed himself. The posters I've seen in this thread are not trying to excuse his actions, but are merely shocked at this atrocity and mourning someone who had a great career that was thrown away.

I wager it's not that which Roto's worked up about, but rather this:

It is, apparently, more disgusting to not respect a murderer who was also a good entertainer, than his actual murders were.

CimminyCricket
06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
If a small boy sees one wrestling show, and is inspired to become a wrestler on said show, how you can call that unimportant?

Basically, that's how Benoit got into wrestling. Saw a wrestling show, tried out high school wrestling, went to hang out at a stadium where wrestling shows were prominent and began meeting the wrestlers there, from there he decided that he was going to be a wrestler. He became a wrestler, held several titles and had a great career. All because of his hero, of whose name I cannot remember.

DK
06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
This thing mostly just saddens me because he was someone who I enjoyed watching perform very much. He was without a doubt one of the best wrestlers to ever lace up a pair of wrestling boots, probably even in the top 5 of all time. The fact that this all happened so suddenly is also making it harder to swallow, like it came out of the blue and was such a fucked up thing to do. Of course we'll never know why he did it, but it still doesn't stop me from wishing I could know. Why he did such a fucked up and terrible thing, why he threw away one of the best careers in wrestling history by doing such a stupid thing, why why WHY?

Bah. He's forever tarnished in one of the worst ways possible now, but whenever the discussion comes up I'll still list him as one of the best of all time and one of my favourites. It's just gutted that it all went to :skull::skull::skull::skull: this way and he did such a terrible thing.

Edit: Benoit's idol was the Dynamite Kid. Watch clips of the two, you can see the almost freakish similarities between them.

licence
06-27-2007, 06:51 PM
All because of his hero, of whose name I cannot remember.

Dynamite Kid I believe it was.

Yamaneko
06-27-2007, 07:14 PM
This is just another reason why steroids need to be tested for and banned from any sort of professional, athletic medium. Some of those guys look like freaks.

I remember Benoit from back in the day when I watched the WWF. His actions? What an idiot. He should have just killed himself and spared his wife and child.

Fonzie
06-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I think the toxiocology test thingy came back and said he wasn't on steriods at the times of the murder.

Saw this somewhere, 50% chance it might be right.

licence
06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I thought the toxicology report would take 2 weeks.

CimminyCricket
06-27-2007, 07:53 PM
It will.

Raistlin
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
You people are also missing the point about the whole wrestling = soap opera thing. The point is that wrestling isn't important. It's another stupid show to watch on TV. That's it.

It can be just as valuable to people as actual sports or hobbies are the other people. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's impossible for other people to do so. I can't stand watching pro-wrestling anymore, but I'm not stuck-up about it. This is a thread about Benoit, his death, and the murders he committed. Antagonistic comments about the "worth" of pro-wrestling just make it sound like you're trying to get on peoples' nerves in this thread.

Rye
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM
It's all really sad, and again, another reason in my opinion why steroids need to be banned.

Bunny
06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Toxicology reports take two weeks to a month. Maybe two.

Yamaneko
06-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Why does it take that long? Is the scientific process that long or is that just the bureaucracy?

CimminyCricket
06-27-2007, 08:13 PM
The process.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM

It can be just as valuable to people as actual sports or hobbies are the other people. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's impossible for other people to do so. I can't stand watching pro-wrestling anymore, but I'm not stuck-up about it. This is a thread about Benoit, his death, and the murders he committed. Antagonistic comments about the "worth" of pro-wrestling just make it sound like you're trying to get on peoples' nerves in this thread.

You're still missing the point entirely. I don't care if people like wrestling. I care that people are still worshiped after becoming murderers, and the only reason is that they were a big name in something that's purely for entertainment.

Raistlin
06-27-2007, 08:48 PM
No one in this thread that I've seen is saying he should still be "worshipped" for his actions, if you actually paid attention. His career can be respected while his recent actions condemned, which is all I've seen people doing. If someone was still "worshipping" him and saying he's a great father... well, they're nuts.

Roto13
06-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Take a look at Khaotic again. He called him a hero.

I'm not allowed to be disgusted with a killer because people liked him as a wrestler. That's pretty sick.

Raistlin
06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Khaotic said Benoit was a "hero to many," which is true. His deplorable actions do not erase a long celebrity career, when some people did consider him a legend. Otherwise I don't agree with Khaotic that we have to still be completely "respectful," but respect does not equal worship.

I think everyone here is abhorrent of the murders. If not, I would seriously question the person who claims not to be.

rubah
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Roto, people are allowed to have feelings and to mourn over people regardless of what they might have done. You should respect that.

Gonna close this now.

Del Murder
06-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Reopening because I want people to post more details of the case as they come. Please keep the validity of wrestling and the heroism associated with those who take part in it discussions out of this thread please.

Fonzie
06-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Reopening because I want people to post more details of the case as they come. Please keep the validity of wrestling and the heroism associated with those who take part in it discussions out of this thread please.

I'll be posting some info. whenever I can find it.

The text messages he sent to his friends are already up.

DK
06-28-2007, 02:13 AM
The Associated Press released the following story:

Professional wrestler Chris Benoit met with his personal physician hours before he allegedly killed his wife and son and then hanged himself in his basement, the doctor said Wednesday.

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," said Dr. Phil Astin of metro Atlanta. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

Authorities say Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son Daniel and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley over the weekend. No motive was offered for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered Monday.

Astin, who said he was Benoit's longtime friend and physician, said he had prescribed testosterone to Benoit because he suffered from low amounts of the hormone. He said the condition likely originated from previous steroid use. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of the meeting.

"I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved," said Benoit. "He worshipped his child."

Investigators said Benoit's 43-year-old wife was strangled Friday with what appeared to be a cable in an upstairs family room, and her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, and his body was found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Before the killings, the family was struggling with how to care for the child, who suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism, said Jerry McDevitt, an attorney for World Wrestling Entertainment.

"Him and Nancy were clearly struggling about this whole issue, about how to take care of Daniel," said McDevitt.

"I don't know what he confronted when he went back into the house," he said. "No one really knows that. We'll have to see. Clearly this issue of the son was a stressor on both of their relationships for some time."

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the autopsy indicated that there were no bruise marks on his neck, so authorities are now assuming he could have been killed using a choke hold. "It's a process of elimination," he said.

Anabolic steroids were found in Benoit's home, leading officials to wonder whether the drugs may have caused the muscle man nicknamed the "Canadian Crippler" to kill his wife and child and then himself.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a news release Tuesday evening saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death" and that the findings indicate "deliberation, not rage." It also added that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

"The drugs they had found in there, including the steroids, were all pursuant to legitimate prescription. We know they know which doctor prescribed it," McDevitt said. "There's no question, none of these drugs are out there, none of these drugs came from Internet pharmacies."

While steroids can cause the paranoia and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage," the drug is also associated with deep and lengthy bouts of depression.

"Just as you have the extreme high of when you're on steroids, you can get the opposite," said Dr. Todd Schlifstein, a clinical assistant professor at the New York University School of Medicine. "You can have a dramatic difference in mood swings. You can feel there's no hope, there's no future."

Source: Pro Wrestling.com (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/5035)

stalpho slayer
06-28-2007, 09:02 PM
i dont get why he would do that i mean he was so succsesful if you find anything out about why he did it pm me:confused:

Yeargdribble
06-28-2007, 09:44 PM
The plot thickens.

Apparently the death of his wife was posted about long before the bodies were found.

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy at least 13 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

Employees at Wikipedia.org said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.

The posting reads: “Chris Benoit was replaced by [[Johnny Nitro]] for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy.” According to a Wikipedia.org report published after FOXNews.com made inquiries, the edit was reversed just under one hour later with the comment:

"Need a reliable source. Saying that his wife died is a pretty big statement, you need to back it up with something."

The posting apparently was made in reference to Benoit's scheduled appearance on Sunday night at an Extreme Championship Wrestling event in Texas.

An employee from Wikipedia.org told FOXNews.com that he called and left a message with investigative authorities in Fayetteville, Ga., at around 11 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, after the posting was brought to the attention of the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based Web site.

“I chat with other editors on IRC — Internet relay chat — and somebody pointed it out to me on a relay chat and that it came from a Stamford connection, and that it took place at midnight Eastern Standard Time on Monday morning,” said Wikipedia.org volunteer coordinator Cary Bass. “I called and left a message with the police department.”

The computer-generated time and date stamp of the Benoit entry are listed as 4:01, 25 June 2007. Wikipedia.org lists its entries according to Universal Time, also known as Greenwich Mean Time.

Further investigation, according to Wikipedia.com, shows that one hour after the first edit reversion, another anonymous edit by 125.63.148.173 using unwiredAustralia.com.au, a wireless Internet service provider, was made adding about the aforementioned personal issues: "which according to several pro wrestling websites is attributed to the passing of Benoit's wife, Nancy."

That edit was reverted less than 20 minutes later, with the following comment: "Saying 'several pro wrestling websites' is still not reliable information." The second edit was made by a computer in Australia from a wireless network, according to Wikipedia.org.

A message left by FOXNews.com with Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department was not immediately returned.

Investigators so far have ruled the Benoit killings as a double homicide-suicide.

Wikipedia.org claims to be one of the largest reference Web sites, and is written collaboratively by users from around the world. Approved users can make submissions and change entries that are posted on the site almost immediately. Bass said the site is constantly monitored to correct inaccuracies.

Bass said when there is a high-profile case, such as the Benoit killlings, Wikipedia.org limits postings to registered users, which is now indicated at the top of the Benoit entry. According to the listed history on the Benoit entry, the computer used to post the 12:01 a.m. entry had a Stamford, Conn., Internet Protocol — or IP — address, a numeric designation that is assigned to every computer with an Internet connection, and that same address has been used to post about a dozen other messages on the site, dating back to May 16, 2007.

In related news, FOXNews.com also has learned, through widely posted Web reports, that former pro wrestler Sherri Martel, who was found dead on June 15, was linked to former wrestler Kevin Sullivan — ex-husband of Nancy Benoit.

Click here to read more about the death of Sherri Martel.

Martel, who had a reputation as one of the top managers in pro wrestling, was found dead at her mother’s home in near Birmingham, Ala., on June 15. She was 49.

Investigators, who have not yet determined Martel's cause of death, say foul play is not suspected but that Martel did not die of natural causes.

Source (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html)

Nominus Experse
06-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh how bizarre....

Madame Adequate
06-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Faked for ratings.

^ Probably untrue.

Weird business about his wife's death on Wikipedia. Was Jimbo Wales involved?

Bloodline666
06-28-2007, 10:53 PM
If the steroid test results from April 10 were, indeed, negative, and he has been using drugs other than what was prescribed for him, then I'm willing to bet that he's been using undetectable steroids, such as HGH (Human Growth Hormone, for which no drug test presently exists), and "The Cream" and "The Clear", which is what Barry Bonds allegedly used.

Here's another iteresting theory as to what caused him to do the murders, then take his own life: brain trauma stemming from numerous concussions sustained throughout his career. That is the theory former professional wrestler Chris Nowinski, who is now respected authority on brain trauma in sports, came up with. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/us/27wrestler.html?_r=4&ref=us&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin) (login required for this source, unfortunately)