PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer games for PC

Loony BoB
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
'ello 'ello, looking for some good multiplayer games that I can acquire. LAN preferred, but internet is okay too. Danielle is moving in so we've set up our PCs next to each other (high end PCs, so don't worry about high spec games) and need enough games to keep us entertained for some time. So far all we have is Warcraft III!

Madame Adequate
06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Company of Heroes is kickass RTS. Supreme Commander too, but games can get loooong in that.

Counter-Strike is best for shooting.

Levian
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Heroes of Might & Magic 3! One of the few PC multiplayer games I play.

Loony BoB
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Don't turn based games take ages though? D=

escobert
06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Guild Wars!

Renmiri
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Errr.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some more interesting things to do with your girl if you have her on the same room as you ?

Just saying ;)

Although you could make a fun game out of it: The one who kills the more orcs gets to pick the next offline "favor" :love:

escobert
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
relationships don't rely on just sex. Just because they live together doesn't mean they need to be bumping like bunnies every 35 seconds.

Another game you may like is Dawn Of War. company of heroes is also fun.

Slothy
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't know many games that work well for two players, so I'll just list some multiplayer favourites of mine. Starcraft is a must of course. Half-Life and it's various mods (Team Fortress Classic, DOD, CS, Natural Selection, Science and Industry, Firearms, and others). Half-Life 2 is another good choice for multiplayer mods, as well as DOD: Source. Both HL and HL2 will keep you busy for years with the number of quality free mods you can get. Battlefield 2 is also a good choice.

Renmiri
06-26-2007, 08:25 PM
relationships don't rely on just sex. Just because they live together doesn't mean they need to be bumping like bunnies every 35 seconds.
I know.. It's kinda cute actually. The quintessential FF / videogame fan couple :love:

Danielle is a lucky girl. Congrats LBob! :)

CimminyCricket
06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
NeverWinter Nights, Diablo II (expansion) and Command and Conquer games.

PyroManiak
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Starcraft II is coming out, Crysis is coming out, Guild Wars, Hellgate: london is coming out, Lotr online, Warcraft III has some pretty awesome expansions, Command & Conquer:choc2: , battlefield, WoW

Crysis is probably not an option though because its gonna require direct x 10 and all sorts of system reqs

Yamaneko
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Crysis will run on DX9 cars using DX9 shaders, although I don't see a point in playing the game if you're not going to crank the detail to maximum.

I wouldn't recommenced CS unless you have tons of time to devote to it. You will get your ass handed to you in the beginning and without consistent practice you will quickly become disillusioned with the whole experience.

As far as FPSs go you and your significant other will probably have more with a game like Team Fortress or UT2004. You'll also probably want to check out Quake Wars when it comes out later this summer. You'll do much better on the fast-paced, spray-and-pray types of shooters than with the tactical, skill-based ones if all you want to do is play the game every so often and not have to worry about regaining your twitch skills after being absent for a few days. If you don't play Counter Strike every day its terribly hard to get back into it even after a week.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned Unreal Tournament Daikatana... :shifty:

What about Age of Empires II, or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri?

Yamaneko
06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I just mentioned UT. :)

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I just mentioned UT. :)

Ah.

Fixed. :D

PyroManiak
06-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Crysis will run on DX9 cars using DX9 shaders, although I don't see a point in playing the game if you're not going to crank the detail to maximum.

I wouldn't recommenced CS unless you have tons of time to devote to it. You will get your ass handed to you in the beginning and without consistent practice you will quickly become disillusioned with the whole experience.

As far as FPSs go you and your significant other will probably have more with a game like Team Fortress or UT2004. You'll also probably want to check out Quake Wars when it comes out later this summer. You'll do much better on the fast-paced, spray-and-pray types of shooters than with the tactical, skill-based ones if all you want to do is play the game every so often and not have to worry about regaining your twitch skills after being absent for a few days. If you don't play Counter Strike every day its terribly hard to get back into it even after a week.

ut 2007 comes out soon, I played 2004 on a consistent basis, and by consistent basis I mean all the time...My favorite map was the moon castle thing, were I could just snipe over and over and over again without ever bieng found...

Shoeberto
06-26-2007, 10:13 PM
UT2k4 is amazing fun. It's super cheap too. It's worth the cover charge alone just to play Assault.

For a no-cost replacement (sorta) for CS, check out Urban Terror. It was a TC to Quake III, but that engine was open-sourced so now it's available to be played for free.

Also Nexuiz is a really good free open source game, 100% cross platform too. Fast-paced FPS, lots of European players.

Loony BoB
06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
TC? :confused:

Odaisé Gaelach
06-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Total Conversion.

...I think. :confused:

Markus. D
06-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Guild Wars!

And all of the Expansions will hopefully have you entertained for ages... unless you are picky. ^_^

Shoeberto
06-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Total Conversion.

...I think. :confused:
Yes, total conversion. Means none of the assets from the original game were retained in the mod - so now that the engine is free to redistribute, so is all of their game content along with it :)

XxSephirothxX
06-27-2007, 03:32 AM
If you don't mind paying for something new, Command and Conquer 3 is really fun over LAN, and looks gorgeous too. They did a fantastic job of retaining the feel of the old games while streamlining the interface and bringing the gameplay up to speed with the rest of the genre. And if your graphics cards are up to snuff, it's one gorgeous looking RTS. ;)

Levian
06-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Don't turn based games take ages though? D=

Yeah, it can take a while, I rarely finish games actually (I should probably mention that I rarely finish warcraft and age of empires games too), but it's pretty fun! It's a bit old, so it'll probably be very cheap too