PDA

View Full Version : "Best" Death *SPOILERS*

atlanteay
06-27-2007, 01:40 AM
I haven't played all the FFs so i can't start a poll but with or without poll, you usually state your choice and explanation anyways.

So what's the "best" ff death? It doesn't mean best as in the 'most hated character dies' It could be best death as in most heroic or the one that really touched you.

mine would be Rachel. I'm easily touched by deaths of loved ones. I mean, she lost all her memories of Locke and only remembering right before she died. Then, Locke spent rest of his time after she died trying to find a way to bring her back and protect the others he promised he would protect. Also her last words were so sad ><;;

tellah's 'heroic' death wasn't too bad either. Although it was probably because he was so useless and i was glad to get rid of him XD

Takara
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm not going to use the spoilers tag since the thread titles has *SPOILERS* written in it.

Galuf's.

Zeromus_X
06-27-2007, 06:00 AM
I like Tellah, Galuf, and Aerith's death sequences.

NeoCracker
06-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Its not even a contest. Galuf wins by far. Mind you FF IV's Tellah and IX's Kuja in the end were quite nice as well.

While I didn't care much for Aeriths death, and likes Seph for it, it was well done. Made for a nice little plot point.

Dr. Acula
06-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Galuf's. I was so sad when that happened.:cry:

Shiny
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Galuf's was the best death, because even after they used all the magic to try and save him he still died.

darksword12
06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Galuf's was the best death, because even after they used all the magic to try and save him he still died.

Yeah, that was a lot more realistic that they actually tried. Unlike FF7. :rolleyes2

atlanteay
06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
i never finished up FFV so all i remember is Galuf being a complete goofball with bartz XD I'm still working my butt to finish FFVI.

it's funny how your characters get shot/slashed/whacked/blown up/ sliced by the monders and they only get # damage. Then, Sephiroth comes down and stabs Aerith, BOOM she dies.

Ramza Beoulve
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Teta Hyral, whoever had played FFT will know why desu

Elpizo
06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
The "best" death for me is Aria's in FF III DS. That was just an incredibly sad scene.

Unlike Galuf's, my secnd favourite, which was just plain heroic. Especially with the new GBA translation during his battle with Exdeath. Epic stuff. And when 'Nostalgia' began to play, it became a very sad moment. But still this sadness can't top the sadness of Aria's theme. Hoping for a DS 3D remake as well, so I can see if they can transfer this correctly to 3D. Honestly, V is filled with epic deaths.

And finally General Leo's my third favourite. Because it's just... how shall I put this? A horrible death. Leo doesn't save anybody when he dies, and he loses EVERYTHING. Everything he fough tfor and believed in was revealed to be a lie. Then Kefka offed him, with Leo having nothing anymore. Very cruel and sad, yeah.

Zeromus_X
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Teta Hyral, whoever had played FFT will know why desu

I knew I forgot one.

Goldenboko
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Galuf.... POOR GALUF! :crying: I MISS YOU GALUF :kaocry:

Auragaea
06-27-2007, 07:05 PM
I thought I was going to be one of the few that picked Galuf... :(

Bolivar
06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
i know it's cliche but I gotta say Aeris. obviously it's conveyed much better than 2d sprites turning sideways and flashing until they dissappear. I love every FF game but you gotta accept what's cinematic and what's not.

Kuja's was also very well done, how his bro stays with him until the end so he doesn't have to die alone, and they take the opportuntiy to have their only sentimental conversation.

and I don't want to sound like a bitch (I say that with no sexism) but I kinda teared up when Laguna visited Raine's grave at the end of FFVIII, and it showed the tombstone with her first name and his last name, and he looks at his ring. This used to be my least favorite FF, I thought it was garbage, but having beat it, I think it's the best ending in any Final Fantasy. Period.

edit: To me, the death of Galuf really hit home when krile told Mid "take care of your grandpa." really good scene

edit: edit: the death of Josef in FFII was something really unexpected, even though I had already beat IX twice. I just wasn't expecting that from an early NES game, and it was the original of what would become probably the biggest cliche in Final Fantasy. Thank God they had some sense to realize this before they sent Barret down that path, like they were considering.

The Crystal
06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Aerith's death was very emotional. I like her, and because of that i tink it was very, very sad.

Another interesting death was Ultimecia. Her dead triggered the events in the game.

Meat Puppet
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Cid.. Edward? YANG?!

The Last Ancient
06-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Aeris death is in the top ten most well known scenes in video game history, whether you cared or not. I loved Aeris (as my name indicates) I thought she was a fantastic character and the whole leadup, from clouds dream, to the eerieness of the city of the ancients, to the scene itself was all very poetic and beautiful to me.

Speaking of FF7, biggs, wedge, and jessie's death were all kind of shocking to me. You figured those guys would be around the whole game, I liked them. The whole plate falling on sector 7 killing all it's inhabitants was a pretty great death scene.

Tidus was an annoying character, mostly because of the voice acting, but his character's storyline was great and it was a good "death"

Gabranth's death in FF12 was amazing, I thought. His sort of rebirth at the end of the game was great. This game is really full of great, surprising deaths: the emperor, the king, reddas, and vossler. Vossler's death in particular I thought was moving. "I can serve her no more."

Firo Volondé
06-28-2007, 01:45 AM
So many choices...

I liked the death scenes for Minwu, Ricard, Tellah, Galuf, and Vossler.

And even though they technically weren't deaths, Tidus, Palom and Porom.

Snap Jumper
06-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Palom and Porom just got stoned for a bit. lol

IMO, the best death was my party killing Zorn and Thorn. But really, Galuf's was hardest (and done the best) because
a) if was hard to see the old goof go,
b) X-Death didn't kill anyone else in that scene,
c) his granddaughter witnessed it. She reacted strongly.

Avarice-ness
06-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Kefka's death.

I mean...

Rachel's whole death thing depresses me, and I think (regardless if I play the game like it's game-crack) everytime Doma gets poisoned I get all ":(" over Cyan's families death.

And yeah Galuf too.

I was sad about Aeris when I had just got the game on it's first playthrough, then I started to just come back from the savespot to watch her die. :D

NeoCracker
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Aeris's death is proof that Cinamatics are no substitute for Quality writing.

I know its important, and it wasn't bad, but nothing really stood out about it.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Teta Hyral for me in fact many of the deaths in Tactics are pretty dramatic and sad. Tellah and Galuf are up there as well. Reks death in XII was pretty sad, especially when you see him vanish before Vaan's eyes (purely symbolic I feel

PeneloRatsbane
06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Aeris: is a classic, poor pretty girl impailed, ouch gotta sting. plus its an infamous scene.
Rassler: stupid idiot, dead on a chocobo, but still sad.

times i thought were dead.
Squall: i thought he was dead at the end, and i didn't see the bit after the credits, I was a fool.
Fran: Balthier's jaw dropping and her lying motion less on the floor, that was horrid, i totally thought she'd been crushed and was just about to shout "NOOOOO" But she was tottaly fine and it came as a huge relief

cloud21zidane16
06-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Galuf's. I was so sad when that happened.:cry:
agreed:(

Aeris: Pretty well known death, i was shocked when i first saw it, also affective because it gave the party more of a reason to carry on with what theyre doing rather than just becuase of the their pasts:rolleyes2

Squall: At the end of disc one i just had some thought that maybe just maybe he could be dead:eek: but then i thought nah he couldnt be:rolleyes2 if they did kill off the main hero then surely they wouldnt do it this early:p

Dr. Acula
06-29-2007, 10:17 AM
I think it'd be pretty cool if they killed off a main character. They'd have to do it near the end though, I think, when you're actually emotionally attached to that character.

ReloadPsi
06-30-2007, 03:47 AM
I thought I liked Yang's death, because Yang sucks. That bastard lied to me and turned up alive later, so I think he sucks more.

I liked Tellah's death too, even though you totally see it coming from miles away: "No Tellah, you can't use Meteo, it could cost you your life!"
"Whatever, I'm using Meteo anyway! Oh, I'm dying, and everyone around me is acting surprised."

fifie
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
after playing VII and seeing Aeris' sad death I began to play VIII and that scene where Rinoa was gasping for breath in space in her suit was really scary because Ithought that Square's thing was to kill off its lead female characters! haha

I also thought the deaths of the black mages in their village (IX) was so sad as well, their graveyard and their incomprehension with regards to death was heartbreaking.
Vivi's implied death has to be the worst - he was only like 9 years old or something!

cloud21zidane16
07-04-2007, 04:59 PM
I think it'd be pretty cool if they killed off a main character. They'd have to do it near the end though, I think, when you're actually emotionally attached to that character.

someone else said that too but they said it would be much more shocking to see the death quite near the start:eek: It would be strange

Zora
07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
The "best" death for me is Aria's in FF III DS. That was just an incredibly sad scene.

The thing about Aria's death though, that even if sad, you didn't feel like much happened, or at least I didn't. She seemed very minor, popped out of nowhere, helped them get in the water temple, and that was it. You barely knew her, and here death didn't affect the story at all (as compared to other death's). I think that was the big problem with Aria's death, it happened too early before you knew her well. As compared to other death's, such as Galuf's, who you knew well and were sad to see them leave. Anyways, that was my thoughts on it.

Galuf. You were sad to see him go, and wish he never had too. Also his death seemed very realistic. He fought to live, but most importantly fought to keep Krile alive, and even though he died, he reached his goal. Very epic, very good.

Elpizo
07-04-2007, 09:01 PM

The thing about Aria's death though, that even if sad, you didn't feel like much happened, or at least I didn't. She seemed very minor, popped out of nowhere, helped them get in the water temple, and that was it. You barely knew her, and here death didn't affect the story at all (as compared to other death's). I think that was the big problem with Aria's death, it happened too early before you knew her well. As compared to other death's, such as Galuf's, who you knew well and were sad to see them leave. Anyways, that was my thoughts on it.

Galuf. You were sad to see him go, and wish he never had too. Also his death seemed very realistic. He fought to live, but most importantly fought to keep Krile alive, and even though he died, he reached his goal. Very epic, very good.

Unfortunately, you are right. But it still was a sad scene, but yeah, after she dies, there's no mention of her anymore. Now Doga and Unei die, but at least their spirits are remembered or show up again. That's why I found it an even more sad death. She's totally forgotten and I liked her so much. It's saddening that all other FF characters that died are remembered, but she is not. That's why her death is the saddest FF death ever.

Black Angel
07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Garnet's true mother and Brahne's death. Both were very sad, because Garnet did lose 2 mothers, which made her spiral into a depression which kinda made her useless in the game for a while. And Kuja and Vivi's deaths were very sad. A little dramatic, but still sad.

Aeris' death was of course sad. I cried every time I saw that part with the music playing and all...
Rachel's death was sad, too. I cried then, too.

Takara
07-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Speaking of FFIX, when Black Waltz no. 3 destroys all those Black Mages on the Cargo Ship, I always get teary-eyed.

Rengori
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Its not even a contest. Galuf wins by far. Mind you FF IV's Tellah and IX's Kuja in the end were quite nice as well.

While I didn't care much for Aeriths death, and likes Seph for it, it was well done. Made for a nice little plot point.
Yay, someone wrote this for me.

Psychotic
07-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Cait Sith I in FFVII. Not even joking, folks. Only FF death to get me misty eyed. Well, that and Seto's (was he really dead? He cried, after all...), so yeah they're equal tops. Yes, I was more upset about them than Aeris's death, which in itself wasn't sad, it was just a neat FMV. Although it was very sad right afterwards when Cloud starts getting angry at Sephiroth.

Also Galuf and Cyan's family have also been mentioned so yeah.

Takara
07-06-2007, 05:21 AM
And to think they could have actually tried to use a Soft on Seto, or a Phoenix Down on Aeris... Doesn't mean it would have worked, but it's the thought that counts. Cloud is such a cheapskate! VGCATS SAID SO, SO IT MUST BE THE TRUTH!!!

Bolivar
07-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Soft on Seto, or a Phoenix Down on Aeris...

You can't un-petrify someone who willingly takes that state - FFIV

Phoenix Down revives a party member from KO, not death, nor impaling.

Tallulah
07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Yuna, Selphie...oops, sorry, wishful thinking! :D

I'm going to have to go with Aeris on this one. Follow the crowd... baa, baa... :eep:

It is the most famous Final Fantasy, if not video game death, and everyone who's ever heard of FFVII, even if they hadn't played it, knows that Aeris died... not necessarily a good thing that. :(

I knew before I played FFVII, I was just curious as to how. I thought she died peacefully (in her sleep, at the Gold Saucer hotel, was my first guess) but was shocked when I saw how she was actually done in! :eek:

Sefie1999AD
07-06-2007, 09:10 PM
There's so many sad death scenes in the FF series that I can't even choose.

*SPOILERS!!!*

FFII: Josef's death was sad, and I thought Cid's death was even sadder.

FFIII: Desh's "death" was quite said, especially since the "Requiem" theme enhances the scene so much. Elia's death is the saddest death scene in the game, though.

FFIV: Palom and Porom was quite sad, even though they weren't technically dead. I don't think Tellah was that useful a character in the party, but it was still sad to see him die. And Cid sure knows how to go down with a bang, literally.

FFV: Ouch, just too many death scenes. King Tycoon's death is quite sad, and the same can be said about the Warrior of Dawn who died in the water tower place (Zeza?). The flashback scene at the top of the Phoenix Tower was really sad too (Lenna had to choose between her mother dying and her dragon dying, and eventually they both died :cry:). Gilgamesh's death was sad as well. He was just too cool to die. However, Galuf's death tops them all. I must say, though, "Nostalgia" is a great death/sadness theme.

FFVI: While there were a lot of sad scenes in this game, I don't remember many death scenes that made me sad. Daryl and Rachel's death scenes (flashbacks) were somewhat sad, and the saddest for me was probably Cid dying and Celes trying to commit suicide after that. I know you can prevent that, but I usually let it happen because it's such a powerful scene (and then I reload the game and save Cid). Oh wait, Shadow's death after the final battle was the saddest for me.

FFVII: Where do I start? Biggs, Wedge and Jessie. :cry: I think the scene where Sector 7 plate falls is very tragic. I felt sad when Red XIII got to know the truth about his father, Seto, and you saw him petrified and Nanaki mourning over him. Cait Sith's first death actually felt quite sad to me. Aeris' death would have been shocking if I hadn't been spoiled about it, but Cloud's words after that and Aeris' theme playing in the background are the things that make her death so sad. Even though Rufus was a villain, I was kind of sad when he died.

FFVIII: Laguna visiting Raine's grave and looking back at the moment he proposed to her was sad for me. In addition, anyone who dares to kill PuPu makes me Christmas sad. :(

FFIX: Black Waltz 3 slaughtering the Black Mages was quite sad. I felt quite sorry when some of the villains died. For example, Brahne and Kuja's death scenes were both sad for me.

FFX: I was quite sad when Auron was finally Sent away. He was one of my favorite characters in the game. Even though I didn't really like Tidus' character, his "death" scene was really sad.

FFX-2: The "1000 Words" scene was quite sad (a flashback of Shuyin and Lenne's death), and so was the end when Shuyin and Lenne faded away together.

FF Tactics: There were a lot of death scenes in this game, though I can't even remember many of them. I was sad when Malak "died", and when Ramza had to kill his brother, Zalbag. In addition to those, it was always quite sad to send away your party members to give room for new characters.

Goldenboko
07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
In addition, anyone who dares to kill PuPu makes me Christmas PuPu sad. :(

:p (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/pupu.html)

PuPu
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I really found it sad when Leo died in FFVI, because he got betrayed by Gestahl, who he had strong loyalty towards.

When Aeris died I was just shouting "Yes!" at my TV.

In addition, anyone who dares to kill PuPu makes me Christmas PuPu sad. :(

:p (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/pupu.html)
You'd like that, wouldn't you?

yanis
07-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I never really cared about Aeris, I was spoiled already and I didn't even wanted to spend extra gils for her weapons...I should play it again spend everything on her and then crying my money, that would be really sad!
Actually FF4 had many "deaths", but not all of them were real...:(

EDIT: I was spoiled about Galuf too...

fifie
07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Raine's death was tragic too :(

Dr. Acula
07-08-2007, 09:38 AM
The saddest thing about Aerith's death was the music. It was so depressing.:cry:

Hazzard
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
The saddest death I have ever witnessed in an Final Fantasy, probably has to be:

Desch/FF3 - It was quite surprising and sad to see him sacrifice himself for the team, especially when he didn't even get to revisit the young girl in Canaan again.

Porom and Parom/FF4 - It was painful to see them two petrified in that room, even after the whole event was finished. Memories came flushing back and you really respected the youngsters for their deed.

Galuf's friend (begins with a 'Z')/FF5 - He fought hard knowing that he would eventually sacrifice himself for the team, and done it solely for a better world for others.

Aeris' death/FF7 - I cried on this one, especially when Cloud grew angered and the theme for Aeris began to play even for the Jenova bitch battle.

Auron's sending/FF10 - Being the best character ever created in gaming history, it pained me deeply to see such an iconic figure fade away. R.I.P Auron!

Jecht/FF10 - He gave me a good fight, and the music for the battle really inspired me and fired me up to kill him off. I used the three most significant characters for this battle - Auron, Tidus and Yuna.

Reddas/FF12 - He finished with a dynamic ending, and it was very untimely and unpredictable. I loved his quoted sentence at the end. "As Judge Magister, I condemn you to an oblivion!"

These are the best deaths for me...

atlanteay
07-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Did you finish FFIII, Hazzard? because Desch comes back in the end.

FF4 had so many 'deaths'. After Cid sacrificed himself, i just couldn't take it anymore. Then..Cid comes back followed by Yang and Parom and Porom :eep: i was glad Rydia came back though :)

Eiko Guy
07-21-2007, 01:56 AM
tidus' death was so sad for me. I loved him. Like a lover with amazing hair. I saw how he had an amazing change to everyone.
He made wakka accept Rikku and other al bhed.
He made Yuna open her eyes and love even if it would only be for a short time.
He made Lulu get over Chappu and get with Wakka.
He gave Auron his peace of mind to go to the afterlife.
He got kimahri to fight biran and yenke. he gave him the courage.
He was just a really good friend to rikku

I cried when I found out he would die.

But the most beautiful death to me was Kuja's I hated him for so long in the game but it dulled into pity then sadness.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of this. VIVi. The way they don't actually tell you he dies. You just kinda know that he died. He was always a caring little fella. He was Final fantasy IX.

Slothy
07-21-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of this. VIVi. The way they don't actually tell you he dies. You just kinda know that he died. He was always a caring little fella. He was Final fantasy IX.

I'm sure everyone's shocked, but I agree with you on this one.

Northcrest
07-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Galuf's and Aeris' Death were most depressing.

Heath
07-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Cait Sith I in FFVII. Not even joking, folks. Only FF death to get me misty eyed. Well, that and Seto's (was he really dead? He cried, after all...), so yeah they're equal tops. Yes, I was more upset about them than Aeris's death, which in itself wasn't sad, it was just a neat FMV. Although it was very sad right afterwards when Cloud starts getting angry at Sephiroth.

I'd agree with you about Cait Sith's death, actually. When you play it for the first time and you actually think he's actually going die, I found it to be quite sad.

Tellah, Leo and Galuf have already been mentioned numerous times, but they're also up there for me (literally, I suppose!).

The Unknown Guru
07-23-2007, 02:05 AM
I say the Undying from FXII, mostly for the irony.

WorkThoseStripes
07-31-2007, 01:50 AM
I haven't played a crazy amount of FF games, but Tidus' "death" was just heartbreaking. I mean, that with the music. Plus, Yuna saying 'I love you' and the whole hugging her when she can't feel and going through. You have to admit that was relaly sad. ):

I played FF X-2 perfectly just for that happy ending.

But, yeah, Tiduss "death" was just really emotional. Especially how Yuna loved him even though she knew she was only going to be able to for a short time. Then she figures out another way to defeat Sin and BOOM, there goes her true love.

)':