PDA

View Full Version : Aeris/Aerith

Xalibar
06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
i was just curious why people spell her name Aerith, when it's pronounced Aeris?

Rednikcam
06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Because in Japanese the "th" i pronounced as "s". Which is why Japanese people often say "sanks" for "thanks". It's just the language being changed that's all.

Zeromus_X
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
That's because the original romanization of her name is Aerith; however, during the clumsy localization of Final Fantasy VII her name was spelled Aeris. This is probably because, without going into great detail, that the 's' and 'th' sounds are the same in Japanese. However, later installments in the FFVII canon or that share characters from the game (Kingdom Hearts) use the proper romanization of Aerith.

Still, you can use whichever spelling you prefer.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
as far as i know, the actual way it is supposed to be pronounced is "Aerith", however due to the mediocre translation onto the european version ("this guy are sick!!!") we ended up with aeris. as LZX said, Aerith is used in further installments of the series. check the credits on advent children for example

Firo Volondé
06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, and Sephiroth was misspelled as well. It was meant to be Thephiroth. :p

Slothy
06-27-2007, 02:54 PM
however due to the mediocre translation onto the european version ("this guy are sick!!!")

It wasn't just the european version.

Xalibar
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but in english, the spelling of Aerith would have the 'th' pronounced as a 'th' and not an 's' sound. In that sense both Aeris and Aerith can't be pronounced the same.

Ryushikaze
06-27-2007, 04:53 PM

Your sarcasm aside, Sephypoo helps the "Aerith" cause. In Japanese, Sephirosu. In English/Romanized, Sephiroth. In Japanese, Aerisu. In English/ Romanized, Aerith.

Aerith is officially her name, and all the recently released products back that up.

rubah
06-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Hahaha, It was easy for me to refer to her as Aerith until I actually played the game. Aries is just too great a nickname to stop calling her Aeris.

Bolivar
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
i remember in the gamepro (i think) walkthrough alot of the screenshots had characters calling her aerith. i guess they had an early version of the game or something.

rubah
06-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Or they renamed her to Aerith.

Tallulah
06-27-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm used to her being Aeris, to be honest, since I've played FFVII so many times.

Or any horrible name I chose to throw at her. :D

Xalibar
06-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Your sarcasm aside, Sephypoo helps the "Aerith" cause. In Japanese, Sephirosu. In English/Romanized, Sephiroth. In Japanese, Aerisu. In English/ Romanized, Aerith.

Aerith is officially her name, and all the recently released products back that up.

I understand the recent release of the products have her name spelled as aerith. But is her name pronounced like that, making it sound like a lisp? Because in english you can't have her name spelled like that and pronounce it with an "S". And it's "earisu" in the japanese

EDIT: Some things i found

"Aeris" is a really roundabout variation on the English word "Earth", referring to her role as the last of "the ancients", a race that's in touch with the spirit of the planet. In Japanese characters, her name is written "Earisu", and when they brought it back to English, they swapped the "A" and the "E". Also note that in Japanese, the character "su" can stand for a trailing "th" (like "Sumisu", for "Smith"), or for a trailing "s" (like "Kurisu" for "Chris"). So that's how we go from "Earth" to "Earsiu" to "Aeris".

Because of the s/th ambiguity of "su", some marketing materials turned her name into "Aerith", which she's also called in her cameo in the game "Kingdom Hearts".
______

Aeris (Aerith) Gainsborough (Gast)
The Latin word "aeris" translates into "air; atmosphere; cloud; aether".

-"Air" and "atmosphere": this seems to be an allusion to Aeris’ connection to nature and her importance to the planet. Without air and an atmosphere, there would be no life. C.f. her first Limit Break, the "Healing Wind".
~The translation "cloud" implies that there is some kind of mystical connection between Aeris and Cloud Strife; like Cait Sith says, they are "made for each other".
~"Aerith" is an anagram of "I Earth"
~The word Aeris is pronounced similarly to "heiress", which aptly illustrates Aeris’ role as the last Cetra and the rightful heir to the planet.

grim07
06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I say Aeris because thats how its always been to me every time I played FFVII. Plus, "Aerith" sounds stupid.

Ryushikaze
06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
i remember in the gamepro (i think) walkthrough alot of the screenshots had characters calling her aerith. i guess they had an early version of the game or something.

Or they renamed her to Aerith.

Actually, a good number of the english release of the game have her name as Aerith as well.

I understand the recent release of the products have her name spelled as aerith. But is her name pronounced like that, making it sound like a lisp?

Yes. But it doesn't sound like a lisp. You only THINK it sounds like a lisp because you got used to pronouncing her name with an S.

Because in english you can't have her name spelled like that and pronounce it with an "S". And it's "earisu" in the japanese

Yes. And Sephiroth is Sephirosu in Japanese. Meanwhile, even her original Japanese character sheet has her name, in English, as Aerith.

EDIT: Some things i found

"Aeris" is a really roundabout variation on the English word "Earth", referring to her role as the last of "the ancients", a race that's in touch with the spirit of the planet. In Japanese characters, her name is written "Earisu", and when they brought it back to English, they swapped the "A" and the "E". Also note that in Japanese, the character "su" can stand for a trailing "th" (like "Sumisu", for "Smith"), or for a trailing "s" (like "Kurisu" for "Chris"). So that's how we go from "Earth" to "Earsiu" to "Aeris".

Because of the s/th ambiguity of "su", some marketing materials turned her name into "Aerith", which she's also called in her cameo in the game "Kingdom Hearts".
______

Which, wouldn't you know it, supports what I'm saying. Smisu is a mispronunciation of Smith. Same with Aeris and Aerith.
And no, she was "Aerith" before they brought her over. Blame the Japanese on that one, not the localisers.

Aeris (Aerith) Gainsborough (Gast)
The Latin word "aeris" translates into "air; atmosphere; cloud; aether".

-"Air" and "atmosphere": this seems to be an allusion to Aeris’ connection to nature and her importance to the planet. Without air and an atmosphere, there would be no life. C.f. her first Limit Break, the "Healing Wind".

And interesting notion, but background materials confirm that "Earth" is the source of her name.

~The translation "cloud" implies that there is some kind of mystical connection between Aeris and Cloud Strife; like Cait Sith says, they are "made for each other".

This, meanwhile, is laughable C/A nonsense. Cait Sith's predictions are untrustworthy, and in the same prediction he says that they're perfect for each other, he also says they'll have a long life together. Guess how wrong that one turned out to be.

~"Aerith" is an anagram of "I Earth"

True, but irrelevant.

~The word Aeris is pronounced similarly to "heiress", which aptly illustrates Aeris’ role as the last Cetra and the rightful heir to the planet.

Wow. That's just silly. How does one confused a long e or a short i (depending) with a short e?
And, as said, Aerith. TH.

Zeromus_X
06-28-2007, 04:05 AM

This isn't entirely accurate. When foreign words and names are transliterated into Japanese, they are spelled in katakana characters, and since the Japanese don't have all of the sounds necessary to perfectly pronounce most of these words or names, they make due with what they have. This is why the katakana transliteration of 'Aerith' is 'Earisu' (エアリス) (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/aerith3.jpg). The katakana transliteration of 'earth' is 'aasu' (アース). You are correct about the s/th interchangeability however. Because of this, the localizers must've chose to ignore the official romanization of her name and went with 'Aeris' instead.

rubah
06-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Which versions were those? Clearly they weren't the ones on sale just three years ago.

grim07
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Final Fantasy VII, the english game, the game we all played and loved and grew up with, had her name as AERIS, NOT AERITH. I dont care if it was "supposed" to be this or that, it wasnt. Call her whatever you want, but over here in America, her name is Aeris.

f f freak
06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Final Fantasy VII, the english game, the game we all played and loved and grew up with, had her name as AERIS, NOT AERITH. I dont care if it was "supposed" to be this or that, it wasnt. Call her whatever you want, but over here in America, her name is Aeris.
No. Even in America her name should be Aerith. Just because you don't say it like that doesn't mean that it is wrong and you are right. Aerith is the correct version though both are acceptable. I personally use Aeris as Aerith sounds like I have a lisp.

Xaven
06-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I concur with Zeromus on this one.

I can write either way, but I pronounce both correctly. :P

Big D
06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
From what I read in a few sources, it was a deliberate choice to call her 'Aeris' in the English-language version, as it sounded better than 'Aerith'. People just prefer to blame translation error for everything, it seems.

I always called her Aeris, since that was her name in the version of the game I knew and loved. What she's called in foreign languages is less relevant - after all, Cloud is 'Cloudo' in Japanese and 'Clad' in the French game, but I feel no need to rename him something silly when I play the game. Red XIII is probably pronounced 'reddo sateenzo' in the 'official' Japanese version, but I'm not about to change that either.

However, since the official English titles now refer to 'Aerith', then that's what I'll go with. It's her 'real name' in English, so I'm cool with it.

Garnie
06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
i prefure Aeris then Aerith!
Aerith does sound silly lol!
anyways if they was to remake VII all the speculation will be solved!

Ender
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
People use 'Aerith' because they believe that makes them better Final Fantasy fans than those who know her as 'Aeris.' After all, millions of people played FFVII, but if you weren't "in the know" you would have assumed that 'Aeris' was her name since that's the option you are given in the primary US releases of the game.

Square then supported their rabid fanbase by establishing 'Aerith' as "canon." Now snooty FFanboys can prove their superiority to FFVII fanboy pretenders by correcting them at every opportunity.

All in my humble opinion of course. ;)

I think 'Aerith' sounds and looks stupid. She will always be 'Aeris' to me.

grim07
06-29-2007, 03:23 PM
No. Even in America her name should be Aerith. Just because you don't say it like that doesn't mean that it is wrong and you are right. Aerith is the correct version though both are acceptable. I personally use Aeris as Aerith sounds like I have a lisp.

lol. NO. In the game, when you first meet her, her name doesnt say "Aerith". It says "Aeris." Thats her name. I dont care what it SHOULD have been, it wasnt. And I think the guy who said that Square just changed the name to please the fanboys is right on the money.

Firo Volondé
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM

lol. NO. In the game, when you first meet her, her name doesnt say "Aerith". It says "Aeris." Thats her name. I dont care what it SHOULD have been, it wasnt.

That's not really a valid argument. FFVII was riddled with mistranslations, "Attack when the tail is up!", "This guy are sick", "Off course!", etcetera. If the name Aeris was used more often, you may just have a case, but in basically all her other English appearances have been as Aerith.

And I think the guy who said that Square just changed the name to please the fanboys is right on the money.

I assume you're talking about the poster above you? It's just plain ridiculous. I think a company like Square is more concerned with making money than manipulating their fanbase into mindless squabbling.

Fonzie
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Arguing over a name. :lol:

Goldenboko
06-29-2007, 06:25 PM

lol. NO. In the game, when you first meet her, her name doesnt say "Aerith". It says "Aeris." Thats her name. I dont care what it SHOULD have been, it wasnt. And I think the guy who said that Square just changed the name to please the fanboys is right on the money.
Oh yes, that statement also says that they MEANT to say OFF COURSE in the battle arena. FFVII had a horrible translation, face it.

Ender
06-29-2007, 06:44 PM
[quote=grim07;2233797]
That's not really a valid argument. FFVII was riddled with mistranslations, "Attack when the tail is up!", "This guy are sick", "Off course!", etcetera. If the name Aeris was used more often, you may just have a case, but in basically all her other English appearances have been as Aerith.

All of her English appearances subsequent to her name being established as 'Aeris' by the game itself.

I fail to see how using examples of improper translations is proof that "Aeris" was also an improper translation. Where's the logic in that? Especially considering those with knowledge of the original Japanese have admitted that the character can be romanized correctly as 's' or 'th.'

Anyway, it's not the same as "This guy are sick," which relates to errors in the translating grammatic aspects of Japanese to English, or "Off course!" which is just a blatant spelling error not caught by editors who didn't know any better. These are obvious errors that have nothing to do with a translator's interpretation of the romanized equivalent of a Japanese character.

I assume you're talking about the poster above you? It's just plain ridiculous. I think a company like Square is more concerned with making money than manipulating their fanbase into mindless squabbling.

Dude, in case you didn't know, the squabbling already existed. I never claimed they manufactured a controversy to manipulate "their fanbase into mindless squabbling." The pure and simple fact is that a controversy existed. Square was ultimately forced to adopt one version as the "official" one. Was it purely coincidence that the "correct" side was the one that offered the better prospects for future profits--the side of those who bought the peripheral FFVII merchandise and who obviously invested more interest in the source of the series itself than those who picked up FFVII and played it because they heard it was a cool game? As you point out, their concern is with making money, and choosing the side of your more loyal fanbase is consistent with that.

Anyway, IMO there's no way to prove that my assumption that they had originally okayed "Aeris" for the game, then when controversy struck they were forced to pick one "official way" is any less logical than your assumption that it was a spelling error all along--short of contacting the people responsible at Square and asking them what really happened.

It amazes me that people need to believe in some sort of meta-truth that exists above and beyond the games themselves. Her name in the American version of the game is "Aeris." That is a fact, regardless of what she has been called henceforth. She is also called "Aerith." That is also a fact.

Jessweeee♪
06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Aerith is the right way, but I always call her Aeris because of FFVII :P

I don't remember what I called her on The Sims, but when I put videos of them on Youtube I name her Aerith so avoid being corrected XD

I have a friend who's watched Advent Children and is a big Kingdom Hearts fangirl, but she hasn't played FFVII, and when I said I might cosplay as "Aeris" she was like Oh my God, did you say Aeris? Then she laughed at me :(

Xalibar
06-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Also, her name has never been vocally said any any of her other appearances.

Big D
06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Also, her name has never been vocally said any any of her other appearances.In the Japanese dialogue for Crisis Core, she introduces herself to Zack by name. It's in one of the trailers; subtitled as "Aerith", and pronounced as something like "eh-ristu". I'm assumings she'll make the same introduction in the English version, so we'll have a definitive pronunciation of Aerith at last.

Aerisfanatic
06-30-2007, 07:40 PM
this has been made many times before... now its not translation confusion persay but they didnt want people to put enphisis on the "TH" since that sound in japanese is an "s" sound

grim07
06-30-2007, 11:42 PM
It wasnt a spelling mistake. It has to do with pronunciation. Her name in FFVII is Aeris. Plain and simple. You cant argue that.

Zeromus_X
07-01-2007, 01:08 AM
If her name is spelled 'Aeris', you'd say it Aeris. If her name is spelled 'Aerith', you'd say it Aerith.

Hambone
07-01-2007, 05:15 AM
I named her Aerith on my new game. :bigsmile:

ReloadPsi
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm used to her being Aeris, to be honest, since I've played FFVII so many times.

Or any horrible name I chose to throw at her. :D

AerisPOOO is an all time favourite of mine.

I call her Aeris, simply because it's easier to say. Oh, and I could ridiculously split hairs about how being Aeris instead of Aerith sets her apart from Sephiroth in the good/evil thing but I don't generally deal in bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: and thus do not believe any such theory. I just came up with it ten seconds ago and am now cursing myself for it, and shall be adequately punished later... most likely in the form of staring at my copy of FF7 on the PSone and lamenting over my lack of a memory card to play it.

Ryushikaze
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
It wasnt a spelling mistake. It has to do with pronunciation. Her name in FFVII is Aeris. Plain and simple. You cant argue that.

Actually, I can. In the demo, and in several thousand copies, I forget exactly how many, her default name is still Aerith.

So even in the American version, her name is Aerith.

As it is spelled, in english in her official art profile.

It's Aerith. Get over yourself.

f f freak
07-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Actually, I can. In the demo, and in several thousand copies, I forget exactly how many, her default name is still Aerith.

Owned.

grim07
07-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Im callin bull on this. Several thousand copies? If that were so, then everyone would be runnin around callin her "Aerith." And I dont recall a demo even being made for FFVII. And whats this "official art profile" your speaking of. If you have links to any of this FROM Sqauresoft, then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I think your lying through your teeth.

eestlinc
07-05-2007, 02:45 AM
You guys clearly don't have much else going on if you're going to fight over the name of a video game character. Let's cool it.

grim07
07-06-2007, 10:53 PM
You guys clearly don't have much else going on if you're going to fight over the name of a video game character. Let's cool it.

Well, I dont think any of us have much of anything going on if we're gunna be on a video game message board.

Ryushikaze
07-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Im callin bull on this. Several thousand copies? If that were so, then everyone would be runnin around callin her "Aerith."

And funny that, a damn good portion of the demographic do.

And I dont recall a demo even being made for FFVII.

Google it.

And whats this "official art profile" your speaking of.

The original art, drawn by Nomura, with character details in Japanese, and her name in English and Katakana. All the characters have them.

If you have links to any of this FROM Sqauresoft, then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I think your lying through your teeth.

http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/nomuraart/ff7_4.jpg
http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/nomuraart/ff7_3.jpg
http://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/nomuraart/ff7_15.jpg

Does a "C Nomura" count?
Also, "you're" lying though your teeth. Since a possesive of lying through my teeth makes no sense.

The Ceej
07-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Well, if you listen to the choir in One Winged Angel, they're pronouncing the name, "SEF ih ROSS." That's not how we pronounce it here, and it makes me want to buy what people are saying about the pronounciation of TH in Japan. I always wondered about that and if it had any connection to the spelling change of Aeris' name. Now I can sleep soundly.

grim07
07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Im callin bull on this. Several thousand copies? If that were so, then everyone would be runnin around callin her "Aerith."

Google it.

The original art, drawn by Nomura, with character details in Japanese, and her name in English and Katakana. All the characters have them.

If you have links to any of this FROM Sqauresoft, then I'll believe you. Otherwise, I think your lying through your teeth.

Does a "C Nomura" count?
Also, "you're" lying though your teeth. Since a possesive of lying through my teeth makes no sense.

And wasnt that art also JAPANESE? Isnt her name, in Japan, AERITH?

Proves nothing, my boy. Sorry.

Goldenboko
07-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Google it.

Does a "C Nomura" count?

Wasn't the game also Japanese?

grim07
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Google it.

Does a "C Nomura" count?

Wasn't the game also Japanese?

When it came out in America, her name was switched to Aeris. For pronunciation purposes. Not mistranslation. So her name in FFVII in America is Aeris, and it was meant to be that way.

Big D
07-10-2007, 12:54 AM
When it came out in America, her name was switched to Aeris. For pronunciation purposes. Not mistranslation. So her name in FFVII in America is Aeris, and it was meant to be that way.But then, there's no harm in updating her name in future uses, in order to attain greater consistency. The character's creators called her 'Aerith'; that was modified for aesthetic reasons in the English translations; but nonetheless she was originally called 'Aerith' by the artists who conceived the character. If someone in the English-speaking world prefers to call her 'Aeris', then so be it. However, since that name only appears in the English-language script for the original game, and not in any of the subsequent or supporting materials, it's arguably not her officially canonical name.

In Japan, the character designer's name is Nomura Tetsuya. In the west, this is anglicised to Tetsuya Nomura. Does that mean that his name is "really" Tetsuya Nomura, when he's discussed outside Japan? Surely his "real" name is the one he was given, the one he had originally. His name doesn't actually change as it crosses borders; it's simply altered slightly for largely aesthetic reasons.

Edit: People are still acting way too angsty over this. Seriously, it's not something that should be able to trigger genuine hostility...

Garnie
07-10-2007, 12:58 AM
lets just agree to disagree!
its Aerisith

grim07
07-10-2007, 05:01 AM
I'll say this once again.

Her name, in the American version of Final Fantasy VII is Aeris.

I dont care about future releases, what her name was in Japan, what they wanted it to be,

HER NAME IN THE AMERICAN VERSION OF FINAL FANTASY VII WAS AERIS. THERE IS NO GETTING AROUND THAT.

Ryushikaze
07-11-2007, 01:16 AM

It proves that her name is originally and in the prime source Aerith.

When it came out in America, her name was switched to Aeris. For pronunciation purposes. Not mistranslation. So her name in FFVII in America is Aeris, and it was meant to be that way.

So, I take it you say Sephiros, then? Because his 'th' uses the same kana as Aerith's 'th' So, unless you argue that he's Sephiros, your translation Bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:, which doesn't fly because I actually speak the language, is simple pleading.

I'll say this once again.

Her name, in the American version of Final Fantasy VII is Aeris.

I dont care about future releases, what her name was in Japan, what they wanted it to be,

HER NAME IN THE AMERICAN VERSION OF FINAL FANTASY VII WAS AERIS. THERE IS NO GETTING AROUND THAT.

It was also Aerith. It continues to be Aerith. There is no getting around that either. Her official name is, has been, and continues to be Aerith, both in Japan, the prime source, and in the translated materials. Accept this and move on.

grim07
07-11-2007, 04:40 AM
Well, I dont know how else to tell you except this.

Turn on the game.

Play till you fall in the church

When the flower girl says "By the way, I'm..."

WHAT IS THE DEFAULT NAME THAT IS SHOWN?

Goldenboko
07-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Turn on the game.

You fail to see the point. Translations can have errors, translations can be changed. Square said Aerith's official name was Aerith, so Aerith it is.

The Ceej
07-11-2007, 06:27 AM
So, I take it you say Sephiros, then? Because his 'th' uses the same kana as Aerith's 'th' So, unless you argue that he's Sephiros, your translation Bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:, which doesn't fly because I actually speak the language, is simple pleading.

Did you see my previous post? Listen to the choir in the song, One Winged Angel. They are ending Sephiroth's name with the S sound. So it sounds like Sephiross. So, yeah. It makes perfect sense that they would have changed her name for American pronounciation reasons. Besides, the name Sephiross just looks gay. So, I guess they figured that they could accept our pronouncing his name a little wrong just for the looks of the name.

Just a note: I am neutral on this argument. I don't care if her name is spelled Arieth or Aries and why. So to argue with me would be moot point. If you try, there's an understood, "Whatever."

Zeromus_X
07-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Did you see my previous post? Listen to the choir in the song, One Winged Angel. They are ending Sephiroth's name with the S sound. So it sounds like Sephiross. So, yeah. It makes perfect sense that they would have changed her name for American pronounciation reasons. Besides, the name Sephiross just looks gay. So, I guess they figured that they could accept our pronouncing his name a little wrong just for the looks of the name.

The official romanization of Sephiroth's name is Sephiroth. Sephiroth's name is Sephiroth. Like many other sounds, the Japanese cannot always reproduce the 'th' sound, and replace it with 's' as a compensation (which I think I explained a ways back). This does not make Sephiroth's name any different in English, which it is based off.

Jessweeee♪
07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
lets just agree to disagree!
its Aerisith

Ryushikaze
07-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Turn on the game.

Turn on KH1. Turn on KH2. Play til you meet the long haired girl in pink. Read what her name is written as in the name portion of the talk bubble.
Alternately, turn on FF7AC: go to the credits, look for the part that says Gainsborough. Read the name to the left.

I'd also like to point out the flaw in your argument that is the craptacular translation job given to FF7. It also gave us Lockheart where the Japanese had Lockhart, this guy are sick, and other errors, omissions and interpolations up the wazoo.
Meanwhile, I'm pointing out that even her creator writes her english name with 'th'. I can also, if you give me time, find a quote where they say that they wanted a name similar to "Earth" when designing Aerith.

Did you see my previous post? Listen to the choir in the song, One Winged Angel. They are ending Sephiroth's name with the S sound. So it sounds like Sephiross. So, yeah. It makes perfect sense that they would have changed her name for American pronounciation reasons.

But didn't change Sephiroth? It does not follow.

Besides, the name Sephiross just looks gay.

Irrelevant and wholly subjective.

So, I guess they figured that they could accept our pronouncing his name a little wrong just for the looks of the name.

Or, OR, they have trouble pronouncing 'th' which is why "Earth" sounds like "Aasu" when said by a Japanese person.

Just a note: I am neutral on this argument. I don't care if her name is spelled Arieth or Aries and why. So to argue with me would be moot point. If you try, there's an understood, "Whatever."

That you are apathetic is irrelevant to your statements having merit.

The Ceej
07-11-2007, 08:12 AM
It was just a guess. Whatever. Try not to pick it apart like I knew what I was talking about.

I told you it was coming.

Cookie
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Alright, so Aeris and Aerith? Well, it was Aeris in my original copy (PAL) and I usually keep it that way, but then when it came to Kingdom Hearts it was Aerith, which I can't change, but oh well. Although I was confused at first, I quickly realized that it does not matter. The fact that it's two letters different doesn't make a difference to the story, gameplay, or overall effect in any way. Also, if you don't like this extremely insignificant error, change it. If you don't like the characters' names, the option is given to you to change them. Take this opportunity. You think it's Aeris? Leave it. You think it's Aerith? Make the switch. Doesn't change a smurfing thing. (Apart from the name.)

dragontamer
07-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Why are we arguing about a name?!?
My copy of PAL (British) has her default name as Aeris, which is okay, but i personally prefer Aerith:p .

this doesn't add much to the argument either way, and i don't care.
I'm supporting Aerith.:kaoyatta:

BTW, Why not post a poll on the subject; the default name for the dark haired girl in pink? Aeris or Aerith.

Grazia
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Aerith it is. I dunno why people are even arguing this, its pointless & silly.

Accept that its Aerith, always has been Aerith, was always meant to be Aerith & move on.

grim07
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Kingdom Hearts is a different game. They named her Aerith in that because fans kept callin her that because its her Japanese name.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris. Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

You guys just cant seem to get over that.

Namelessfengir
07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
it is all said in the attachment
caution contains cussin

Goldenboko
07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Kingdom Hearts is a different game. They named her Aerith in that because fans kept callin her that because its her Japanese name.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris. Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

It was. Are you going to tell me Tifa is supposed to be Tifa Lockheart?

Firo Volondé
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Her Japanese name is her real name, because she was designed by some Japanese guy.

It wasnt a "Translation error" that named her Aeris.

Correct. It was a localisation error.

Her name is Aerith in FFVII.

Phixed.

Et tu, grim.

Ryushikaze
07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Alright, so Aeris and Aerith? Well, it was Aeris in my original copy (PAL) and I usually keep it that way, but then when it came to Kingdom Hearts it was Aerith, which I can't change, but oh well. Although I was confused at first, I quickly realized that it does not matter. The fact that it's two letters different doesn't make a difference to the story, gameplay, or overall effect in any way. Also, if you don't like this extremely insignificant error, change it. If you don't like the characters' names, the option is given to you to change them. Take this opportunity. You think it's Aeris? Leave it. You think it's Aerith? Make the switch. Doesn't change a smurfing thing. (Apart from the name.)

You seem to be seeing a different argument. No one is saying you can't call her Aeris. Just don't try and claim that's her official name.

My copy of PAL (British) has her default name as Aeris, which is okay, but i personally prefer Aerith:p .

BTW, Why not post a poll on the subject; the default name for the dark haired girl in pink? Aeris or Aerith.

Because a poll is a question of the popularity of a thing, not the correctness.

And what do you base this nugget of wisdom on? Nothing? Thought so.

Yes it was. Well, localization, but you get the idea. But then again, it's not the prime source. It's why "Sabin" is not the official name of Mash, and "Terra" is not the official name of Tina. No one says you can't call them that, but they are changes made in translation. They are not valid as compared to the prime source.

Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

Yes. But her official name is Aerith, and continues to be so in each subsequent release.

You can't seem to get over the fact that her name being mistranslated doesn't make it her official name.

caution contains cussin

No, the Japanese don't have a sound for 'th'. They use 'su' when in English 'th' would be used instead. They also don't have a sound for an M that doesn't have a vowel following it. So, if an anime had an American named Sam Smith, would you insist his name was Samu Sumisu because his coworkers can't pronounce his name, despite what his creators said about it?

The Ceej
07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Okay. Here's what I see. An argument that's never going to end.

There were games and movies released in English with both of those names as the default. As long as people care, this argument is never going to end. It will just keep going on till the end of time. Why are people so sensitive about the name of a character in a video game? It really doesn't matter, people. If you want to call her Aeris, do it. You prefer Aerith? That's also your perogative. It matters not. She can have an official name, it still doesn't matter as there have been official releases of games with both of these names as her default. Translation error or intentional change? Still doesn't matter. The real question is not which of these names is correct, but why do people care so much?

Big D
07-12-2007, 12:00 AM
By all accounts, it wasn't a translation "error" that made her Aeris in the English translation. It was a change, but not one made by mistake. Kind of like how the Last Elixir became Megalixir, Mash became Sabin, and so forth.
Aerith is still her original name, though, and since since subsequent English-language products call her Aerith too, then that's arguably her official English name now.

grim07
07-13-2007, 03:30 PM

You seem to be seeing a different argument. No one is saying you can't call her Aeris. Just don't try and claim that's her official name.

Because a poll is a question of the popularity of a thing, not the correctness.

And what do you base this nugget of wisdom on? Nothing? Thought so.

Yes it was. Well, localization, but you get the idea. But then again, it's not the prime source. It's why "Sabin" is not the official name of Mash, and "Terra" is not the official name of Tina. No one says you can't call them that, but they are changes made in translation. They are not valid as compared to the prime source.

Her name is Aeris in FFVII.

Yes. But her official name is Aerith, and continues to be so in each subsequent release.

You can't seem to get over the fact that her name being mistranslated doesn't make it her official name.

caution contains cussin

No, the Japanese don't have a sound for 'th'. They use 'su' when in English 'th' would be used instead. They also don't have a sound for an M that doesn't have a vowel following it. So, if an anime had an American named Sam Smith, would you insist his name was Samu Sumisu because his coworkers can't pronounce his name, despite what his creators said about it?

Aerith Gainsborough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeris_Gainsborough)

Its not an error.

In future games, her name is Aerith. In Final Fantasy VII, its Aeris. Plain and simple as day. They wouldnt mess up something as important as A NAME. Plus, Aerith just sounds stupid.

Ryushikaze
07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Aerith Gainsborough - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeris_Gainsborough)

Its not an error.

You're trying to Cite Wikipedia to bolster your argument? Wow. You are desperate.

In future games, her name is Aerith. In Final Fantasy VII, its Aeris.

Only in the US version, and even then not in all of them. Aeris is a one off change that has since been corrected.

Plain and simple as day. They wouldnt mess up something as important as A NAME.

Yes, they would. They've done it before. FF6 was full of mangled or changed names. They got Sierra's name wrong, and mispelled Tifa's surname, for two examples.
Besides, prime source trumps secondary. Tetsuya is prime. He writes as Aerith.
Oh yeah, and you're mixing metaphors.

Plus, Aerith just sounds stupid.

Subjective and irrelevant. I think Aerith sounds better than Aeris, personally.

Big D
07-14-2007, 03:07 AM
[They got Sierra's name wrongI wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.
As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.

rubah
07-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Kinda like Cloud 8)

Ryushikaze
07-14-2007, 04:41 AM
[They got Sierra's name wrongI wouldn't call that an 'error', per se. 'Sierra' and 'Shera' are probably virtually indistinguishable in Japanese, so 'Shera' is likely a valid rendering of the word.

Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

As for FFVI - those were deliberate changes, too, rather than errors. 'Terra' instead of 'Tina', for example, is frequently explained: it simply sounds more exotic, more suited to a fantasy character. 'Sabin' instead of 'Mash' is pure aesthetics; while you can argue that 'Aerith' is no more stupid than 'Aeris', there's no denying that 'Mash' is simply a stupid name in English.

I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.

grim07
07-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Actually, there's an easy distinction Sierra has a large 'e' whereas Shera has a small 'e' to denote that you drop the 'i' of Shi and simply state She as opposed to Shie.

I'm not saying that they are errors. I'm saying they are mistranslations. Deliberate ones, but mistranslations nontheless.
As for Mash... Eh, I don't think it's that dumb, but I know people with some very esoteric names.
In any case, the 'FF3' names are still not the official names just as 'FF3' is not the official name of the game. The prime source wins.

lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their "japanese" names, while the rest of us who live in the United States will call them by what their names where here.

f f freak
07-14-2007, 02:26 PM

lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their real names, while I run around like a n00b calling her Aeris and not accepting that her real name is Aerith.

Fixed.

Galvatron
07-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't particularly care for her, so I call her Aeris. The way I saw it in the game I played.
If she was more important to me I would probably call her the name she was originally called.
I guess it's a matter of personal preference, and that's all it will ever be. Arguing about it is pointless.

grim07
07-14-2007, 10:39 PM

lol, ok buddy. you can run around and call all the characters by their real names, while I run around like a n00b calling her Aeris and not accepting that her real name is Aerith.

Fixed.

lol, changing my post? Wow. I guess I must be a so called "noob" because I call her what her name is in the game. Whatever you wanna call her is fine. Just remember, that everytime you turn on FFVII, start a new game, and it comes up as default "Aeris" that I was right. Everytime you look at that part of the game, I hope you think of me. Because there is no way in this world that you can change that default name to make it say "Aerith." It says "Aeris" as plain as day.

Just say that word aloud. "Aerith". It sounds like you have a lisp. Its stupid. Compared to "Aeris."

daggertrepe
07-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Fixed.

lol, changing my post? Wow. I guess I must be a so called "noob" because I call her what her name is in the game. Whatever you wanna call her is fine. Just remember, that everytime you turn on FFVII, start a new game, and it comes up as default "Aeris" that I was right. Everytime you look at that part of the game, I hope you think of me. Because there is no way in this world that you can change that default name to make it say "Aerith." It says "Aeris" as plain as day.

Just say that word aloud. "Aerith". It sounds like you have a lisp. Its stupid. Compared to "Aeris."

That's true :greenie:

Zeromus_X
07-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Bear in mind that the reason most people think that it has a lisp is because they're used to saying 'Aeris'. :p

grim07
07-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Bear in mind that the reason most people think that it has a lisp is because they're used to saying 'Aeris'. :p

Because thats her name in the English version of FFVII. I dont see how people can say "Nu uh, its Aerith! Her name is Aerith!" When its right there when you turn the damn game on.

Also, in english, when you say "Aerith" you pronounce the "th". "Th" doesnt make an "s" sound in our language.

f f freak
07-16-2007, 12:38 AM

Fixed.

I called you a noob because you don't recognise that Aerith is her official name. I personally call her Aeris because I think it sounds better but at least I recognise that her official name is Aerith. If you want to go against the creator's words then fine even more people will call you a noob.

Zeromus_X
07-16-2007, 01:35 AM

Because thats her name in the English version of FFVII. I dont see how people can say "Nu uh, its Aerith! Her name is Aerith!" When its right there when you turn the damn game on.

Also, in english, when you say "Aerith" you pronounce the "th". "Th" doesnt make an "s" sound in our language.

...I'm well aware of that. I think you're missing the point I was trying to make about people pronouncing it with a lisp.

And I have no idea what you're trying to argue in your second sentence there. I know how to pronounce English.

grim07
07-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Fixed.

I called you a noob because you don't recognise that Aerith is her official name. I personally call her Aeris because I think it sounds better but at least I recognise that her official name is Aerith. If you want to go against the creator's words then fine even more people will call you a noob.

Seems like your going against the english translators. The creators are japanese. They made a japanese version and an english version. Her name in Japan is Aerith. Her name in America is Aeris.

Honestly, is it that hard?

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp. Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America. So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.

Because unless your japanese, or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.

You guys get it now? Did I bust your little "hardcore fan" bubble?

Ryushikaze
07-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Seems like your going against the english translators. The creators are japanese. They made a japanese version and an english version. Her name in Japan is Aerith. Her name in America is Aeris.

No. Her name in the Prime source is Aerith. Her name in a SINGLE GAME that was NOT translated by the creators has her name as Aeris, and every other game since has her name as Aerith.

Let's take a look at the Aeris V Aerith in English, shall we?
Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
Aerith- FF7e (limited number), FF7AC, FF7DoC, FF7CC, KH, KH2, The Japanese version of every single one of those games, The creator's own concept art.

Yes. Because you're trying to appeal to the authority of translators with a known flawed translation.

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp.

Yes, it is incorrect English to pronounce a name that ends in 'th' with an 's' sound And saying 'th' as 's' is a lisp, so thank you for admitting that you are in the wrong.

Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America.

In Japan, they don't have certain sounds, so they make do with what they do. Among these includes using 'su' to make up for their lack of 'th'

So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.

If you want to take this tack, Grim, then it's Kuraudo, Yoohie, Sephiros, Vinchiento, Barreto, Redo Saateen, Shido, etc. etc.

I expect you to follow suit shortly.
BTW, please don't pull :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that argument. As a speaker, your stupid offends me.

Because unless your japanese,

That's "You're" as in You are. Your indicates the possesive.

or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded

That is solely your opinion.

and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.

Actually, it's pronounced Aerisu, just as Sephiroth is Sephirosu. Oh, wait, did I just shatter your argument by pointing out that the translation is inconsistent based on your point? I think I did.

What hardcore fan bubble? I find it's the more hardcore Aerith fans who refuse to recognize her official name and insist on calling her by the name she was called in a grand total of the known to be flawed English translation of FF7 and two cameos. Y'know, as opposed to every single prime source and an overwhelming number of other translated games.

grim07
07-16-2007, 05:05 AM

No. Her name in the Prime source is Aerith. Her name in a SINGLE GAME that was NOT translated by the creators has her name as Aeris, and every other game since has her name as Aerith.

Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
Aerith- FF7e (limited number), FF7AC, FF7DoC, FF7CC, KH, KH2, The Japanese version of every single one of those games, The creator's own concept art.

Yes. Because you're trying to appeal to the authority of translators with a known flawed translation.

And the the other guy, what I was getting at in my second sentence was that its incorrect english to pronounce her name "Aerith" with an "s" sound, it would have to sound like a lisp.

Yes, it is incorrect English to pronounce a name that ends in 'th' with an 's' sound And saying 'th' as 's' is a lisp, so thank you for admitting that you are in the wrong.

Which in Japan, it doesnt, it sounds like "Aeris". Which is why they spelled it "Aeris" in America.

In Japan, they don't have certain sounds, so they make do with what they do. Among these includes using 'su' to make up for their lack of 'th'

So all you little "hardcore FF fans" running around callin her Aerith look mighty stupid to the game creators and Japanese folk.

If you want to take this tack, Grim, then it's Kuraudo, Yoohie, Sephiros, Vinchiento, Barreto, Redo Saateen, Shido, etc. etc.

I expect you to follow suit shortly.
BTW, please don't pull :skull::skull::skull::skull: like that argument. As a speaker, your stupid offends me.

Because unless your japanese,

That's "You're" as in You are. Your indicates the possesive.

or speak the language, "Aerith" sounds retarded

That is solely your opinion.

and is an incorrect pronunciation of her name. Its PRONOUNCED Aeris. The way its spelled here, in America.

Actually, it's pronounced Aerisu, just as Sephiroth is Sephirosu. Oh, wait, did I just shatter your argument by pointing out that the translation is inconsistent based on your point? I think I did.

What hardcore fan bubble? I find it's the more hardcore Aerith fans who refuse to recognize her official name and insist on calling her by the name she was called in a grand total of the known to be flawed English translation of FF7 and two cameos. Y'know, as opposed to every single prime source and an overwhelming number of other translated games.

Whatever buddy. Just remember, it wasnt a "flawed" translation. We already proved that.

Also remember that whatever her "prime source" is, its not in the American version of FFVII. So I refer to her as Aeris when Im talking about it, as I dont own the japanese version.

Like I said before, you cant change what the default name is in the game.

And I also call bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: when you say a "limited" number of FFVII has her name as Aeris, while the rest has "Aerith". I've owned and played about a total of 20 copies, and they all say "Aeris." I need some proof.

I'll put this in caps.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER GAMES. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY VII RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE SONY PLAYSTATION. OKAY?

Rase
07-16-2007, 06:09 AM
And I also call bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: when you say a "limited" number of FFVII has her name as Aeris, while the rest has "Aerith". I've owned and played about a total of 20 copies, and they all say "Aeris." I need some proof.
I think you misread Ryu's statement.

Aeris- FF7e, FFTe
He was saying that a limited number of English FFVII games have her name as Aerith.

I'll put this in caps.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER GAMES. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT FINAL FANTASY VII RELEASED IN THE UNITED STATES FOR THE SONY PLAYSTATION. OKAY?
Last I checked this discussion was first about why the character was sometimes called Aerith, then turned into whether Aerith or Aeris was correct. As far as I can tell pretty much everyone is still talking about the character as a whole here, not her appearance in a specific game. Well, pretty much everyone except you.

Leeza
07-16-2007, 06:54 AM
And that's that.