PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile, -10/10

Chemical
06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Yeah that's right. Now this game was a piece of crap, it was so crappy I played it for 30 minutes and never touched it again. I don't even know why I put myself through the torture of playing this :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty game for even that long.

Alright to begin, the voice acting, like most voice acting at that time was so insanely horrible. I don't just mean horrible like an old Chinese Dub over, I mean horrible like a performance by Ashley Simpson.

Now you know, the voice acting thing isn't what bugged me so much - I thought it was interseting and unique to gaming because it was basically the first of it's kind I experienced.

But what really choked my goat was that I sat their for 30 minutes reading dialog, in that time there were two battles that were obviously meant to be won, there was no way you could lose them. So I'm sitting there button smashing the continue button as fast as I can to get through all this crap and it just doesn't end. It just doesn't stop. It was like watching a poorly drawn and executed anime that you find in the bottom of the saver's bin at a crappy flee market. It was like watching the opposite of Samurai Pizza Cats.

Anyways I got to move a couple of times from one end of the room to the other... but other wise I didn't really get to do anything or go anywhere for that 30 minutes of time I wasted in my life.

Lastely - the characters, you shouldn't be repulsed by every character you meat in the first 30 minutes of the game.

So the voice acting accompanied by horrible character dialog and horrible characters just ultimately blew my mind away so I turned off that piece of crap and will most likely never touch it again.

Valkyrie Prfofile I give you -10 out of 10 you piece of junk, may your developers serve 100 years in purgatory for your abomination.

Rostum
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
I like it when some people think their opinion actually counts.

Bunny
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Can I have your copy?

Karellen
06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
If it's the PSX version, sell it to some idiot who will pay you a ridiuclous amount for it.

Preferably me.

Chemical
06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I like it when some people think their opinion actually counts.

I like how some people forget that the purpose of a forum is to allow people to share their oppinions.

Just because you don't like mine doesn't mean you have to be curt.

Araciel
06-28-2007, 04:41 PM
i like how people either love or hate this game. sure it's different, but different isn't good. if you like this style of game, chances are you cling to this one because it's pretty unique. if you don't, well chances are you hate it, cause a lot of people find it boring....and not worth the 400 dollars or whatever a scratched copy sells for on ebay nowadays.

edczxcvbnm
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
I have a copy that I keep forgetting to give to Sephex. I think the game is pretty boring myself.

Jowy
06-28-2007, 07:26 PM
If you can suffer through the 45 minute intro, it's worth it all after that, I thought.

*snuggles his copy*

Araciel
06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
i think i played it for an hour or two...still couldn't get into it meself.

LunarWeaver
06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
I've never played it. Everytime I hear how crazy omg awesome a tri-Ace game is, I get it only to find I would rather be in a coma than have to play it anymore. I just didn't bother with the VP games at all. /GetsBannedbyZeromus

Madame Adequate
06-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Give it to me then.

Seriously. PM for my address.

Shoeberto
06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Everytime I hear how crazy omg awesome a tri-Ace game is, I get it only to find I would rather be in a coma than have to play it anymore.
Basically. Though I've not played VP, I do have a copy of SO2 that has had maybe 6 hours of it played before I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Luckily I paid like $7.50 for it. Whoo!

XxSephirothxX
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Star Ocean is the only tri-Ace game I've played that I really thought was especially good. SO2 and 3 were okay, but not nearly as good as the original, I don't think. Never played Valkyrie Profile, though.

Madame Adequate
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
What Star Ocean is godly.

Edit:

What all three Star Oceans are godly.

I Took the Red Pill
06-28-2007, 08:45 PM
What Star Ocean: The Second Story is godly.

Markus. D
06-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Valkyrie Profile (after the Intro... I found... and the first dungeon *shudders*) is an absolutely beautiful game.

They develop on most of the characters that are introduced (And they die at the start ;_;...).

It was Playstation. things like Voice acting were new back then.

Just play it a little more. Stay strong Chemical :3!

escobert
06-29-2007, 01:47 AM
I'll give ya $20 for it right now ;)

Rostum
06-29-2007, 01:49 AM
I like how some people forget that the purpose of a forum is to allow people to share their oppinions.

You made a completely new thread, to bash a game that you only played 30 minutes of. How does that opinion count, really?

Markus. D
06-29-2007, 01:50 AM

You made a completely new thread, to bash a game that you only played 30 minutes of. How does that opinion count, really?

Omecle really does have a point there Chemical.

Chemical
06-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Omecle really does have a point there Chemical.

o·pin·ion /əˈpɪnyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-pin-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

My opinion matters, people are reacting positively and negatively and are creating a discourse in relation to my utter dissapoint and frustration with a game I simply could not get into or enjoy.

A better question is why are you veering away from the topic to target me personally instead of challanging my oppinion with evidence that relates to the game and not semantics concerning what an oppinion is, if I deserve to form it or how long it takes me to form it.

The frank matter of the situation is that I've expressed my discontent with a product and I've verbally challanged others to offer their personal feelings and oppinions of this game based on their own experiences.

So the duration of the time I've speant with this game is irrelevent to the subject of the topic which is interestingly enough about the quality of Valkyrie Profile.

So if you'd like to constructively comment on the game content in contrast or correspondance to my feelings then please feel compelled to offer that oppinion instead of targeting me personally.

Rostum
06-29-2007, 02:11 AM
A better question is why are you veering away from the topic to target me personally instead of challanging my oppinion with evidence that relates to the game and not semantics concerning what an oppinion is, if I deserve to form it or how long it takes me to form it.

Because I felt like trolling. :p

Very well then, I'll give my opinion on Valkyrie Profile.

I believe you have not played enough to actually start enjoying the game. I would agree that the beginning does drag on a bit, but it really does become a fantastic game.

As for the voice overs, what were you expecting? Next-gen quality? It was made for the PSX with a lot of limitations -- I was actually suprised that it had voice overs. (I don't know if they improved them or not for the PSP version)

And to jump on the bandwagon: Give it to me.

Araciel
06-29-2007, 02:15 AM
it was a *GASP* pirated version.

Zeromus_X
06-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm a bit disappointed. I would have expected that someone like you would play more than the first half-hour of a game before creating an opinion on it. Granted, tri-Ace is known for its relatively boring openings, but most of the things you're ranting about are just the standard "I didn't like the voice acting/characters/blah blah blah, etc." kind of thing. Except instead of playing the entire game, you played the first half-hour.

The voice acting is actually very nice, considering that not many games of that time period had voice acting of that quantity or caliber. Have you ever played Star Ocean 2? Have you ever played Tales of Eternia? Have you ever played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (I actually had a soft spot for this game's voice-acting, though)? These are just a handful of examples of the Playstation era's sub-par voice-acting.

Regarding the story, well, you've barely played the first 30 minutes of the game. You don't have an opinion on the overall story, much less the more than thirty important playable and non-playable characters in the game.

And really, have you tried out any of the Xenosaga games? *puts up anti-reflective Lunar shield* Great games, but it took me about an hour to reach the first save point. At least Valkyrie Profile gives you the option of saving about halfway through the opening sequence.

Regarding my opinion of the game, I believe it has one of the most intriguing battle systems ever developed by tri-Ace (improved even further by the sequel). It's probably Sakuraba's best soundtrack too, with incredible quality. The A Ending sequence also offers one of the most rewarding RPG storylines I've every witnessed. So basically another testament to my tri-Ace fanboyishness.

At any rate, if you're just going to miss out on playing this gem, would you mind giving me your copy? I need a new PlayStation version of the game ever since mine broke.

Chemical
06-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Yarrrrrr!

http://a403.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01301/20/40/1301940402_l.jpg

And in response - I think the voice acting was certainly unique and I appreciate how they tried to bring gaming to the next level - I still don't particularily like it and if I ever tried to play the game again I'd probably have it muted.

I'm just not sure if I want to sit through a 45 minute intro - I'm and extremely impatient person and when it comes to games I demand instant gratification through immediate control and action.

It's why I like FPSes, WoW, Diablo II and other games that allow user interaction upon startup.

There are games that had a huge plot and story line (for instance Xenogears) that allowed immediate play but also created a thick introduction tollerably distributed over play time. Perhaps it's just that VP was created for people with patience... I mean considering it's an unplayable intro for 45 minutes... that's longer than an average tv show and unless it's attractive to the player, they're just going to turn it off like they flick around during a :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty 2 minute commercial.

Ultimately my experience was comparable to that of sitting through a 30 minute infomercial on Bo-Flex.

I mean really ... 30 minutes to say a Valkyrie is coming to earth to watch over a Head strong guy (with a cripple brother) who is stalked by a pissed off spoiled princess. And after 30 minutes that's all I got.

Humans are fickle creatures and I firmly feel that if I can't be sold on an item after suffering through 30 minutes of hype then it's my right as a consumer to move on to something that can immediately offer gratification to me as a player.

escobert
06-29-2007, 03:28 AM
I can't think of a single game with voice acting where I actually enjoyed it. besides a FPS. RPGs and voice acting make me a sad panda.

Roto13
06-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Opinions are all well and good and everything, but 30 minutes of an RPG doesn't give you much to go on. I can't really put much stock into it. Play for another 9 1/2 and your opinion will have some weight.

RPG intros are often boring. If I'd only played FF VI for 30 minutes, I never would have gotten to experience the Esper system. If I'd only played Tales of Symphonia for 30 minutes, I wouldn't have gotten to mess with any Exgem combos. If I'd only played Baten Kaitos for 30 minutes, I only would have been able to use like 3 cards at a time or something. 30 minutes is nothing for an RPG.

(I haven't played Valkyrie Profile)