PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Nintendo DS, or will it disappoint me?

Peter_20
06-29-2007, 07:19 AM
So I was gonna buy this Nintendo DS, but it seems to me that the screen is pretty small.
I've only seen pics of it, though, but anyway...

Do you think I will be satisfied?
Oh, and I'd dearly like the games Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. :D

Zeromus_X
06-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Er, well, it depends on if you enjoy the games the system has to offer. I don't really think the DS has that small of a screen...

Unfortunately, you can't play FFVI, CT, or SoM on the DS (FFVIA is able to), unless you had an R4 or similar device but that's besides the point. The DS does have FFIII, an upcoming FFIV remake, Elite Beat Agents, Pokemon, Jump Ultimate Stars and quite a few other very fun multiplayer games that are enjoyable though.

Markus. D
06-29-2007, 08:15 AM
It has the optional choice of playing Game Boy Advance games (FFVI, FFT etc).

and then appear the DS games.

wonderful choices.

Raebus
06-29-2007, 08:26 AM
The screens aren't small, at all. Seriously, you won't even notice when you start playing but yes, buy a DS Lite. You'll be satisfied.

Deborah
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I love my ds! I think you'll enjoy having one theres tons of games out there for it! I recommend getting one! :D

Germ Hamee
06-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Even if the screen is small (it's the same size as the GBA screen, I think), there's two of them. How could you possibly go wrong with that? Imagine the possibilities! :D Actually, you don't have to imagine: Sonic Rush offers all the mind-numbing-dual-screen-action you can handle. Give that a quick whirl and tell me what you think of the screen size.

Anyway, I guarantee you'll be satisfied, unless you don't like fun video games. In that case, buy a PSP and watch movies.

Slothy
06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Anyway, I guarantee you'll be satisfied, unless you don't like fun video games. In that case, buy a PSP and watch movies.

You can't really guarentee he'll be satisfied, and if it's not, it's not that they don't like fun games. Look at the game catalogue. Go to some DS websites, read reviews of the better games out there, watch some videos of them and get informed. If they seem to interest you, then go for it. If not, then spend your money on something else. Personally, I don't care for a lot of what the DS offers. I tend to prefer console games anyway though and have no real need for portability though (I prefer a good book for long trips). The point is that whether or not you should buy a DS can only be decided by you after doing some research on it for yourself. Zeromus suggested some games earlier, so start by looking those up and continue from there.

Fonzie
06-29-2007, 05:21 PM
PSP is more of a home device that you watch movies on and listen to music, the DS is pretty much all games device.

Get a DS if you like playing games.

Get a PSP if you're a casual game player, and you like to listen to music and watch videos.

KentaRawr!
06-29-2007, 05:40 PM
As said, it really is better to make the choice for yourself. Some games I'd recommend looking into would be Mario Kart DS, the Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Final Fantasy III, and Children of Mana.

Mario Kart DS, if you have friends available or the ability to play online, is quite fun. You probably already know the basics of the game, as it's pretty close to most spin-off Kart Games. As you race through a course, there are item boxes, which can be used to give yourself an advantage in some cases. The reason some people consider this game the best out of the Mario Kart games is because of the basic feel of the cars and the online mode. However, I personally prefer the 64 edition, simply because I have 4 controllers available to play that with, and I just find Multiplayer games more fun offline than on. However, the single player mode is still pretty addictive with the amount of stages to unlock, as well as the mission mode and the ability to set up bots to play against.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is basically a mix of RPG Elements and Metroid, as most people will tell you. As you progress through the game, you collect the souls of enemies, which translate into stat boosts and abilities. Three souls can be equipped at one time. The souls needed to progress with the game is where the Metroid elements come from, in the basic idea of getting new abilities on a very large 2D plane in order to progress. Such as obtaining a double jump to jump on that one ledge you couldn't get to, for example. There are many optional souls, obviously, obtained from regular enemies. These translate into new attacks your character can use at the cost of some MP. Portrait of Ruin follows an incredibly similar structure, but it feels very level-by-levelish due to the fact that there are various alternate levels within the castle. Portrait of Ruin allows you to switch between two specific characters at will by pressing a button I can't remember at the time, but you are also able to summon your partner if you wish to either have them use their special attack, or to simply have them around in a sort of Secret of Mana style.

Final Fantasy 3 is probably as you'd expect it to be. The basic gameplay mechanics are close to identical to later Final Fantasy games. Able to save on World Map, turn based battles, HP and MP, the basics. The main difference between this game and some of the later Final Fantasy games is the ability to change your class as you want to. You likely recognize this idea from Final Fantasy 5, X-2, and a few others I forgot. Anyway, as you use a certain class for a pro-longed period of time, that character becomes more skilled with that class, as you'd probably expect. More hits per turn, for example, is one of the effects. It is because of this that Skill Level normally ends up being more important than character level. There are a few wi-fi related side-quests in the game, but I didn't bother with them, personally. >_> The story is pretty interesting, but the character development, while improved from the original version, is still pretty stale. Even so, the game is very addictive and really sucks you into it if you're an RPG fan especially.

Children of Mana isn't quite what you may expect from the series, and sadly, it seems like this may be a permanent turn for the series, which I think sucks considering Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best co-op RPG ever next to PSO. Anyway, the game takes on a mission-based form, containing many side-quests which can be obtained from people in the town, and a Quest-Desk. The levels, when taking a non-story based quest, are randomized in a very Four Swords kind of way. Various parts of a level are placed within a level, so you may find yourself having deja-vu for a lot of the game, as it's basically just mixing a level's organs up. The battle system is the same as you'd expect from any Mana game, which I kinda forgot, so I'll leave you to remember it. However, one thing I DO remember is that two weapons can be equipped at once. Most of the time, you'll find yourself equipping your favorite weapon, and then the flail, since the flail essentially acts as a grappling hook. From this game, you can expect an addictive dungeon-crawling type game, that happens to have a story, similarly to FF:CC.

Germ Hamee
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
You can't really guarentee he'll be satisfied, and if it's not, it's not that they don't like fun games.

Oh, yes I can, and yes it does! How dare you suggest research. Appalling! You poor misguided soul. ;_;

Peter! I implore you to ignore such words of reason, and do the right thing. Hurry to your nearest retailer and buy a Nintendo DS before these fornicators rob you of the best time you'll have in your gaming life! Repeat after me: Buy now! Research later! Buy now! Research later!

Agent Proto
06-29-2007, 08:32 PM
PSP is more of a home device that you watch movies on and listen to music, the DS is pretty much all games device.

Get a DS if you like playing games.

Get a PSP if you're a casual game player, and you like to listen to music and watch videos.

The DS is more for casual gamers than a PSP is, and who watches movies on UMDs anyway?

m4tt
06-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm becoming more annoyed with my DS as the days go by. I only have one game (pokemon). None of the other games really interest me. I keep hoping that they'll release Earthbound for the DS, but I doubt it. :\

Shoeberto
06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I bought a DS Lite and Pokemon Diamond and haven't really felt disappointed with the purchase.

I think the thing that gives me trouble is that I know there's a lot of great games out for it, but they all seem to be about on the same level of greatness, making it hard for me to single out a new game to be my second purchase. That probably sounds weird.

escobert
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
DS > every other handheld ever.
FFIII is leet along with the Castlvania games. And mariokart.

Rye
06-30-2007, 12:04 AM
My DS Lite rocks, but I'm a bit unimpressed with most of the games lately.

Rostum
06-30-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm becoming more annoyed with my DS as the days go by. I only have one game (pokemon). None of the other games really interest me. I keep hoping that they'll release Earthbound for the DS, but I doubt it. :\

You bought a DS, hoping that'd Earthbound would come out for it? O.o;

There are plenty of awesome games on the DS, it's just what you prefer, really. If you want to emulate PS1 games and play some racing / fighting games, then get a PSP. If you want some all-round fun games (imo) like Mario, RPG's, GBA games, and intuitive games, then the DS.

And if you want to watch movies, get a DVD player; if you want to listen to music, get an MP3 player.

Jessweeee♪
07-01-2007, 01:53 PM
The DS is essential for any Final Fantasy fan! Unfortunately, Crisis Core, Dissidia, and other Square games are PSP exclusive :kaocry2:

Vivisteiner
07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Buy both.

I know Im gonna have to someday.

Mirage
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
No, you're right. The screen is too small. You should steer away from this handheld.

Zeldy
07-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Ive had my DS for ages now, and I still adore it. Im lucky enough to have a nerd of a brother who is constantly buying new games though, and he even imports some from Japan.

I reallllyyyy want Hotel Dusk atm. I got Another Code and loved it.

Dreddz
07-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I think asking the question "Should I get a DS" is kinda pointless nowadays. You should know that everybody on a forum is going to say yes already. And rarely you'll get the someone who says no but there usually dug into the ground by others fans for saying so. Your the only one who'll know whether you'll like the system, so do your own research.

I think the DS is a system easy to recommend though, the systems library has hit all posts really, every genre is covered, some more than others but there you go. Its hard not to find at least one game you like.

Dragonsoul
07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm posting this because I'm buying a Nintendo DS this fall. This fall the top two Nintendo DS games are Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(October) and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass(probably November). I'm buying Nintendo DS for FF XII: RW. Please note that rpgamer.com has a release calendar

Release Dates (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/release.cgi)

Select Nintendo DS and select All in Usa. Nintendo DS has released top rpg's and will continue to. Watch out for Front Mission 1st this fall, which I could get possibly. Oh I'm also buying Xbox 360 this August for Blue Dragon(August 28th) and Lost Odyssey(October). Mass Effect for Xbox 360 was delayed until January, I will play that also.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XII, Rogue Galaxy, and will play Alundra 1 after this. :)