PDA

View Full Version : So today I watched somebody almost drown in front of me

Peegee
06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah I was trying like hell to save him too.

Story:

We went to a river (a big one) where there's a section of land that somebody set up ropes to swing into the water. One of the guys that came today doesn't know how to swim, but mindlessly I guess we figured nothing could go wrong.

I've never seen somebody freak out in the water before, myself being an avid swimmer of some 24 of my 27 years. So he swings out and lands fine, but his head's not coming up. He's just hanging there until I grab him and lift his head above the water. He's in shock or something, and is flailing around. I start swimming back.

My friend comes barrelling in and jumps on me, knocking him out of the water. I can feel him sinking so I throw him up to the surface and make my way up....while he's sinking down. Like...my leg is touching his shoulder down.

I was about to dive but thankfully two other people managed to make it there and pulled him out.

He's fine, and went in for a second, though he was just as scared / panicking the second time, though he was in substantially less danger as we knew what would happen.

So yeah, that's my PSA. If you can, learn lifeguarding, or at least be able to save somebody who's drowning. CPR and First Aid are good as well. Topic is: do you have either, and is it hard to get? Have you saved a life before?

ps: one of the times I went, I swung back and didn't let go. Hence I now have two legs full of cuts.

DK
06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't have any of the above mentioned things, however I've been giving serious consideration to learning them. Or at least learning CPR and all that stuff. I don't know why I just started thinking about learning them, but yeah. It'd be nice to know.

StarlightAngel
06-30-2007, 11:10 PM
I can swim pretty well, but I don't have anything for lifeguarding. We learned at the swimming lessons how to get someone out of the water by handing them a float/trying to get something long for them to hold on to, but yeah, I get the feeling that if I tried to pull someone out of the water I'd get dragged in myself. Being that I'm like, 98 lbs =/

Though, thinking about it, learning CPR would probably be useful. First aid, too.

James Leopold
06-30-2007, 11:11 PM
i dont think ive saved a life, but i was saved by a lifeguard about ten years ago. I still remember it

Fonzie
07-01-2007, 12:26 AM
I was taught CPR, so I'm ready at the beaches at all times.

PyroManiak
07-01-2007, 12:38 AM
lol stupid noob can't swim:p

Garnie
07-01-2007, 12:43 AM
yeah i have twice!
a little boys and my fathers!
im glad i did it! i pride myself on atleast doing good deeds regulary helps the world to be a better place i belive anyway!
well done dude

Innes
07-01-2007, 02:01 AM

lol i agre

Madame Adequate
07-01-2007, 03:09 AM
I know how to do CPR and that, but it's been years and years since they showed us and I'm not sure I remember the intricacies of it. Still, I think I'd be able to do something reasonably useful. It's not like you can exactly worsen the situation of someone who isn't breathing anyway :p

Peegee
07-01-2007, 03:40 AM

lol i agre

lol indeed. I don't know if it's just me, but watching a guy sink to the bottom of the river makes me think of everything but 'lol'.

I seriously I hope I don't just ignore that this ever happened and force my body to have not failed me today. I'm actually blaming myself for the stupidity (shouldn't have thrown him into the lake until we figure out how he behaves when we make him swim in shallow water).

:(

JackNapier
07-01-2007, 04:05 AM
I can't swim. :( I do know CPR though.

Nominus Experse
07-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Yes, I know both CPR and First Aid. Although I am a competent swimmer, I have never taken any Life-Guard classes.

Rengori
07-01-2007, 09:11 AM
No, no, and probably not, and no.

Resha
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I know how to do CPR and how to put the person in...recuperation position? after fishing them out of water. I also did take a lifesaving course but I never completed it =P finked out before the final exam, and so 'ere I am. Certificate-less. But I'm a dire swimmer and can't really be depended on to save lives.

Shiny
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm CPR certified and I know how to swim. I do not, however, know First Aid. Then again, I'd rather leave the saving up to a professional. Like a lifeguard.

Shlup
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I learned CPR just yesterday! Took a class down at the Red Cross. It was easy as hell.

Do 30 chest pumps in 18 seconds, then two rescue breaths (breathe into their mouth for one second, take two seconds between to breathe in). Repeat 30 pumps and 2 breaths five times for one two-minute set of CPR. Continue until paramedics arrive.

Now go forth and save the world!

Peegee
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Photo of the event :

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5190/n501464969787168584qv3.jpg

Airborne: Kervin
Black shirt: pg
Topless: Raghav (the guy who shoulder checked me)

:o