PDA

View Full Version : FF8 Redux

rubah
07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
If you were to be involved with the remastering of this wonderful game, what small adjustments would you make?

I think it would be a nice touch to let you handle junctions and magicks in battle, but sacrificing turns.

demondude
07-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Give squall a choice wether to wear his black coat or his SEED outfit :)

f f freak
07-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd make Rinoa be completely destroyed. I'd also add dialog during the first scene. There would only be a few words. They would be where Seifer cuts Squall and Squall would say. "Seifer you ho!! I wanted to cut myself there" And then the game would run as normal except it wouldn't because Rinoa would be dead.

atlanteay
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
either make Adel feminine or make it so that there's sorcerers and sorceresses. Calling Adel a sorceress is so...awkward.

Mirage
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I've always wanted this too, but not just for Squall. With updated graphics, it wouldn't be necessary with different CG movies depending on their outfits either, because they could render it all in realtime. Other than that, I would have added more sidequests, more weapons, more limit breaks, more GFs, and more magic spells. I would also make it possible to play Chocobo World without a pocketstation.

Takara
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd beg Nobuo Uematsu to write a new, kickass overworld theme to replace Blue Fields.

Mirage
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Just replace it with the orchestral version of Blue Fields. Personally, I wasn't bothered by the original anyway.

f f freak
07-01-2007, 08:37 PM

I'd want every character to have a choice. Selphie, Zell, Squall - SeeD.
Quistis - Instructor. Rinoa - Coffin. Irvine - doesn't have any alternate costumes I don't think.

Takara
07-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Just replace it with the orchestral version of Blue Fields. Personally, I wasn't bothered by the original anyway.

The orchestral version was an improvement, but it still wasn't overworld theme material, imo.

I'd want every character to have a choice. Selphie, Zell, Squall - SeeD.
Quistis - Instructor. Rinoa - Coffin. Irvine - doesn't have any alternate costumes I don't think.

lol, coffin...

Well, technically, Quistis' instructor uniform is the female SeeD uniform. As for Irvine, his alternative could be the regular Galbadia Garden cadet uniform, since he's not a SeeD yet.

rubah
07-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I think a costume change would be pretty cool, the SeeD uniform was pretty awesome.

If anything, there should be more rinoa ^_^

Also voice acting. Most of the ones at Wing Heart Productions (http://wingheart.rinoa.nu/) were spot on, I thought.

f f freak
07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
If anything, there should be more rinoa in a coffin ^_^
Fix'd

Mirage
07-02-2007, 02:04 AM
Rinoa should have been able to fight in her formal dress ;).

Kanshisha
07-02-2007, 02:35 AM
well, i think the way you lvl up with the monsters, i would change that...

Mirage
07-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Why?

ragnosica
07-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I would change the battle system so that the monsters don't lvl up with you (I don't think that's fair), PS3 graphics and an easier to beat Adel

rubah
07-02-2007, 08:51 PM
the monsters levelling up is one of the best parts of the game IMOxD

Adel isn't that hard to beat, you just need to stop levelling up :p

ragnosica
07-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Adel isn't that hard to beat, you just need to stop levelling up :p

see my point?:D

SeeDRankLou
07-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I would change the draw system as such:

Currently you have to Draw a spell by selecting a command, and you can Draw 1-9 of that spell, and you have to do it over and over and over until you are done. I would make it so that you select what you want to draw, and then you simply remain in a state of Drawing that magic. Your menu selection will change to the entry in the Magic submenu and you can keep status on how many you have drawn. Instead of the magic stat controling how much you can draw at a time, it will instead control the rate at which you are drawing the magic. And this can be interrupted at any moment, and your ATB will start to fill up again.

That's really the only thing I would change, I liked the game otherwise.

Mirage
07-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Instead of that, i would just remove the limit of 9 per draw, so that if your magic power was strong enough, you could draw, say, 20 in one turn. Besides, it's hardly a problem anyway. You can easily and rapidly acquire lots of different magic through GF menu commands.

I have no problem what so ever with monsters levelling up with you. You only need to get your focus away from trying to gather as much exp as possible, and more towards efficient junction setups, because that's how you really get strong.

rubah
07-02-2007, 11:52 PM
well an idea I had stale, was that the magic stat would like directly influence it, like mag/10 * (random percent from 75 to 125) rounded to the nearest whatever, but having a lower limit and an upper limit (maybe 4 and 25)

Mirage
07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
The magic stat does directly influence it already, but it caps at 9. It's mostly noticeable at the beginning of the game, when not everyone in your party has magic junctions.

rubah
07-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Squall drew like 12 cures out of the balamb cure thing with mag stat of less than 25:p It's low level magic, but it's also easy to draw. I guess my formula wouldn't be much different, so get rid of the random modifier 8)

Mirage
07-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh, I guess I should have specified that the cap of 9 only applies to battles.

Namelessfengir
07-03-2007, 02:42 AM
on the flip side ill say more rinoa or the possibility to tap lil selphie :love:

actual voices would be sweet and having the videos blend into the game

as for the monsters i thought that this game did it better than the newer games ie ten different flavors of wolf god damnit!!!

and for graphics just make them better.

Xurts
07-03-2007, 04:12 AM
I would change the battle system so that the monsters don't lvl up with you (I don't think that's fair), PS3 graphics and an easier to beat Adel
No, it's just that you fail at junctions.

Instead of that, i would just remove the limit of 9 per draw, so that if your magic power was strong enough, you could draw, say, 20 in one turn. Besides, it's hardly a problem anyway. You can easily and rapidly acquire lots of different magic through GF menu commands.
What's wrong with 9? You can still draw 300 spells in 1 or 2 minutes anyway.

Having monsters level up along with your party is the only thing that keeps the first 75% of the game even REMOTELY challenging. There is only a 1000 EXP requirement for every level, so it's clear that in this game the emphasis is not on leveling, but instead on JUNCTIONING. Refining magic is made even easier by cards and GF abilities.

I would like enemies to level up twice as fast as your party, make it harder to obtain magic, and make GF attacks significantly weaker. That would be a great deal more fun and challenging.

Shiny
07-03-2007, 04:48 AM
I'd want to get rid of alot of things. But, a huge enhancement to a remastered version of FF8 would be better non FMV graphics. They were terrible.

rubah
07-03-2007, 05:15 AM
yeah stale, outside of battle, the cap is 15:p

Xurts
07-03-2007, 05:41 AM
I'd want to get rid of alot of things. But, a huge enhancement to a remastered version of FF8 would be better non FMV graphics. They were terrible.
Graphics don't make the game, gameplay does. If you worry about graphics that much then don't play the classics.

Remember that, it'll make you look less like a shallow idiot. (lol no offnse <3)

Silent Warrior
07-03-2007, 07:47 AM
First in line would be touching up the dialog. (I know this is a FF-fansite, but there's only so much I can put up with. :p )
Revamping the music so it uses more of the technology available for that purpose today.
And... SHADERMODEL 3.0!! :D:D *Hide*

(Might be a good idea to cram it onto a DVD, too.)

Fatal Impurity
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
The graphics were the best when it was first released...but yeah get rid of the monster lvl that means it would make the game harder as the monsters could be lvl 100 at the islands closest to hell/heaven.

I just went through game normally i was lvl100 by disk 3 lol.

Plus get rid of that crappy boring drawing thing...i cant count the amount of times i was there for two hours just drawing, (NOT FIGHTING) magic from monsters.

Xurts
07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
The graphics were the best when it was first released...but yeah get rid of the monster lvl that means it would make the game harder as the monsters could be lvl 100 at the islands closest to hell/heaven.
No, it would make the game easier. If monsters didn't level up with your party you could easily over-level and crush everything. This would be even easier than other FFs because you only need 1000 exp to level up.

The enemies on the ICH are always level 100.

Plus get rid of that crappy boring drawing thing...i cant count the amount of times i was there for two hours just drawing, (NOT FIGHTING) magic from monsters.
It took that long for you because your Magic stat sucks. Your success rate at drawing is directly related to your Magic. With something decent junctioned to your Mag and Spd you should be able to draw 300 spells in a few minutes (around 1 or 2).

McLovin'
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Just need to remake it for PS3. I'll let Square decide what to change.

Shiny
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Graphics don't make the game, gameplay does. If you worry about graphics that much then don't play the classics.

Psh. Speak for yourself. I love games like FF6 (a classic by the way) who had bad graphics, but the storyline made up for it. I doubt Square will change the storyline, but atleast they can make the graphics better. It's pointless to look at blur on a third generation gaming system if they do decide to remaster it. Technology is too good these days to have horrible graphics. It takes away from the overall gaming experience.

Xurts
07-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Psh. Speak for yourself. I love games like FF6 (a classic by the way) who had bad graphics, but the storyline made up for it. I doubt Square will change the storyline, but atleast they can make the graphics better. It's pointless to look at blur on a third generation gaming system if they do decide to remaster it. Technology is too good these days to have horrible graphics. It takes away from the overall gaming experience.
Graphics will only take away from the experience if you pay more attention to them than you do the actual gameplay and storyline of a game. The graphics in games like FF6 only add to the experience because they have the old school look.

Mirage
07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I know I've gotten over 20 out of a draw point :p.

Levian
07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
This ain't no biggie, just a little something. I'd like it if there was no limit to how many different types of magic you could storage. I remember when I played it once and I drew all sorts of crap magic, like Slow and Zombie, and then when I came to a Meltdown drawpoint I found out I couldn't draw any more new types of magic with that character. I know you can just switcharoo everything, but I don't like that.

rubah
07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Just need to remake it for PS3. I'll let Square decide what to change.

Graphics will only take away from the experience if you pay more attention to them than you do the actual gameplay and storyline of a game. The graphics in games like FF6 only add to the experience because they have the old school look.
I find the graphics very distracting actually, as they're always flickering and pixelly :p THe point is to make it better, what it should be. At least get rid of the yucky compression artifacts in fmvs.

I know I've gotten over 20 out of a draw point :p.
Weird, I don't remember ever getting more than 15.

Mirage
07-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I find the graphics very distracting actually, as they're always flickering and pixelly :p THe point is to make it better, what it should be. At least get rid of the yucky compression artifacts in fmvs.
Already taken care of with FFVIII PC. Twice resolution, but still fits on the same amount of discs. All thanks to the PC being able to decode much more sophisticated video formats than the PS1.

Takara
07-03-2007, 11:55 PM
This ain't no biggie, just a little something. I'd like it if there was no limit to how many different types of magic you could storage. I remember when I played it once and I drew all sorts of crap magic, like Slow and Zombie, and then when I came to a Meltdown drawpoint I found out I couldn't draw any more new types of magic with that character. I know you can just switcharoo everything, but I don't like that.

Urg, I hate that too. Having to discard or switch magic to another party member because you don't have the space for the stronger magics like Meltdown or Ultima is a pain in the ass.

Shiny
07-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Graphics will only take away from the experience if you pay more attention to them than you do the actual gameplay and storyline of a game.
Meh, I never said I pay attention to the graphics more than I do the storyline. I actually think the storyline and the ease of the gameplay are essential aspects of a game. What I was saying is that the graphics should be enhanced if it is possible, because they have the means to do so.That is the point of remastering a game; to upgrade it. Why should they keep the terrible graphics when they can upgrade? Rhetorical. And it isn't like all the graphics were bad. The FMV graphics were downright beautiful.

Venom
07-04-2007, 12:52 AM

Remember that, it'll make you look less like a shallow idiot. (lol no offnse <3)

Remember to spell "offense" correctly so it will make you look less of a trolling idiot.

Zeromus_X
07-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I'd definitely put a giant sign somewhere in Ultimecia's Castle that states "I AM NOT RINOA."

Other than that, I can't think of much else I'd change about FFVIII. The soundtrack was superb, the storyline and characters were just fine, the localization was a vast improvement over FFVII and the graphics were great. I guess if they'd make a remake where they improve all of this, it would truly be a wonderful sight. Voice acting would be neat.

Hambone
07-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Give Squall the choice to be a girl.

Xurts
07-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Graphics will only take away from the experience if you pay more attention to them than you do the actual gameplay and storyline of a game.
Meh, I never said I pay attention to the graphics more than I do the storyline. I actually think the storyline and the ease of the gameplay are essential aspects of a game. What I was saying is that the graphics should be enhanced if it is possible, because they have the means to do so.That is the point of remastering a game; to upgrade it. Why should they keep the terrible graphics when they can upgrade? Rhetorical. And it isn't like all the graphics were bad. The FMV graphics were downright beautiful.
Of course, the graphics should be updated when a game is remastered. That's understood. It wouldn't be a remake then, but just a FF3-6 kinda thing.

rubah
07-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Already taken care of with FFVIII PC. Twice resolution, but still fits on the same amount of discs. All thanks to the PC being able to decode much more sophisticated video formats than the PS1.

I know they have twice the resolution, but do they have twice the quality too? xD

Hyperion4444
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
But that's a given, if you want twice the resolution, just buy a PS3 and
update the latest version that allows you to play your PS1/PS2/DVDs games in 1080p. (http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/400)

Another Good PS3 update... (http://www.us.playstation.com/News/Stories/5771)

Sword
07-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Thing is when you increase the resolution you can see where all the polygons connect and their individual shading, and you only then notice the lack of detail which looks worse in my opinion. I'd rather play it when the pixels make such things unnoticable. It's like when you blur your eyes and a painting looks better lol.

I'd like a trigger system for Irvine's attack like Squall where he would point his gun and the attack will fail unless you press R1. You could make the attack any time from when he aims to when he puts it down so it wouldn't be as strict as the gunblade where it has to be at the right moment. However there could be key moment where if you press the trigger it will do critical damage too.

I like this interaction of weapons idea so I just thought of another one. Maybe you could hold R1 when you select Selphie's attack and she would use the other end of her flail. Perhaps this other end could have different elemental/status effects junctioned to it so that you wouldn't risk healing a bomb or something if you had fire junctioned to one end.

haha now I'm racking my brain to come up with ones for the other characters.

Hyperion4444
07-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Thing is when you increase the resolution you can see where all the polygons connect and their individual shading, and you only then notice the lack of detail which looks worse in my opinion. I'd rather play it when the pixels make such things unnoticable. It's like when you blur your eyes and a painting looks better lol.

You should need to know the faqs before posting this kind of information.
In my case, it's a huge relieve, not to mention god to bless graphics.

My cousin seems to prefer thoses of an Xbox 360, I keep repeating 'your blind' (which is true in some sence)
And I don't wear glasses (unlike him...), reason more why I love HD.

I'd like a trigger system for Irvine's attack like Squall where he would point his gun and the attack will fail unless you press R1. You could make the attack any time from when he aims to when he puts it down so it wouldn't be as strict as the gunblade where it has to be at the right moment. However there could be key moment where if you press the trigger it will do critical damage too.
You can already cast at least 20-50 shots with Irvine's Fast Ammo that can deal up to 5500 average damage.
5500x20= 110,000
5500x50= 275,000
100 ammo= 550,000 limited total damage/fight
You can use it until you run out, and then you'll need normal shots 10-25 rounds cast.
I doubt this have to change in any way. (you do much more damage!)

I like this interaction of weapons idea so I just thought of another one. Maybe you could hold R1 when you select Selphie's attack and she would use the other end of her flail. Perhaps this other end could have different elemental/status effects junctioned to it so that you wouldn't risk healing a bomb or something if you had fire junctioned to one end.

Personally, I think they ran out of ideas for Selphie so she ended up with her Slots limit break.
I think she was the one less though of in terms of Limit breaks, it's just random, she can'tr even cast her own magic once in a while, and 'the end'? cleary indicates that they had no idea on how to make this character has powerful the rest of the character.

rubah
07-04-2007, 06:46 PM
I think that's a really good idea about irvine, Sword. Makes it a little bit even more realistic

Hyperion4444
07-04-2007, 08:37 PM
One thing I've yet to explain is how the hell your strengh increases the damage of a gun?
Better headshot or what?
Because that is unrealistic.

Xurts
07-04-2007, 10:48 PM
One thing I've yet to explain is how the hell your strengh increases the damage of a gun?
Better headshot or what?
Because that is unrealistic.
I've wondered about that too.

Shiny
07-05-2007, 02:37 AM
I'd definitely put a giant sign somewhere in Ultimecia's Castle that states "I AM NOT RINOA."
Haha, yes. That would be advisable. Especially to avoid all those theory threads.

Voice acting would be neat.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Good voice actors would be cool. I just hope they wouldn't make Zell sound as annoying as I think he would.

SeeDRankLou
07-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't know why, but I picture Zell having a voice like the guy who does Naruto's voice. I honestly don't know how that would go.

Sword
07-09-2007, 03:35 PM
You can already cast at least 20-50 shots with Irvine's Fast Ammo that can deal up to 5500 average damage.
5500x20= 110,000
5500x50= 275,000
100 ammo= 550,000 limited total damage/fight
You can use it until you run out, and then you'll need normal shots 10-25 rounds cast.
I doubt this have to change in any way. (you do much more damage!)
I know about the limit break. I meant for normal attacks.

And thanks Rubah :D

Innes
07-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Letting you re enter the great Salt Lake.

I <3 that part

Sword
07-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Letting you re enter the great Salt Lake.

I <3 that part
Agreed. And with that also allow us to go back to the train tracks...and be able to walk the WHOLE way back to FH (not on the world map because I always loved that part where Squall carries Rinoa. It was so beautiful :cry: :D ). This would also allow you to take the Garden away from FH later in the game as well as the Ragnarok, meaning you won't have to keep going all the way through FH to switch between them.

ReloadPsi
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I'd beg Nobuo Uematsu to write a new, kickass overworld theme to replace Blue Fields.

Well it's sorta dopey and whimsical and suits the overall tone of FF8: Travelling on the world map isn't regarded as a big deal in that game. Unlike other games where it's all "Out into the big, wide, scary world at last... what's gonna happen?" the travel in FF8 is just considered a given seeing as you're a SeeD.

Give Squall the choice to be a girl.

Victorious.

In terms of what I'd change, it'd be to increase the maximum draw cap IN battle. Never mind getting over 15 at a Draw point, I want more than 9 at a time during battle! Drawing new spells takes too long sometimes, especially when you're trying to get 100 Flares each from Abadon and the damn tosser keeps confusing you! Up to this point I've only ever managed to have two party members with Status-Def-J so I still have one person who's at risk of being confused. It's always that one person. DAMN YOU ABADON!

Also, a big sign in Ultimecia's Castle that says "I AM NOT RINOA" (Hrmm, déja vu). Oh yeah, and for that gigantic clock to play a bigger role than just clambering down the hands. That clock was awesome.

Namelessfengir
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
i dont know if its been mentioned before but voce acting is a given so we need to figure who to do it what voices for what characters
this is just the begining

squall = chris patton, he did souske sagara on full metal panic
rinoa = luci christain, kaname chidori full metal panic

and other suggestions?

ReloadPsi
07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Oddly enough, I thought the dude who played Angel (forgot his name) was perfect for Squall's voice in KH1.

f f freak
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Oddly enough, I thought the dude who played Angel (forgot his name) was perfect for Squall's voice in KH1.

David Boreanaz :love:

rubah
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
In the Black Mages's Maybe I'm a Lion, Alexander O. Smith voiced the line at the beginning "Maybe I'm a Lion" and it struck me that his voice was well suited for squall.

SeeDRankLou
07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
We must remember that the male characters (except Cid) are all 17-19, so their voices may or may not have reached the deepness that puberty will eventually take them. I however did like David Boreanez as Squall. If he spoke a little higher in FFVIII it would be perfect.

rubah
07-16-2007, 11:51 PM
most american boys have their voices by the time they're 16/17, I've noticed :p

perhaps not zell 8)

ReloadPsi
07-17-2007, 01:13 AM
In the Black Mages's Maybe I'm a Lion, Alexander O. Smith voiced the line at the beginning "Maybe I'm a Lion" and it struck me that his voice was well suited for squall.

Given that the song's title refers to Squall liking lions for their "great strength and pride", that's pretty likely to be intentional.

Aerith's Knight
08-14-2007, 10:46 PM
i would change it so rinoa would be even more clingie(there is no good word for it.. but who cares)

and more headthumping like squall did on zell :P