PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt files

~*~Celes~*~
07-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Okay, so yesterday, I inserted my Sims 2 disc into the drive, and I waited for it to load. I get to the "select a neighborhood" part and...there are no neighborhoods to select, but I can make a custom neighborhood. I figured something was wrong, but I wasn't sure what, so I went ahead and attempted to create a custom neighborhood. Well, it worked fine. I went to create a family and the game crashed. I looked down at the toolbar and it said that one of the game files was corrupted.

Today, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. However, the same problem happened.

Could this be because of some Sims 2 stuff I downloaded (hair meshes, eye color meshes, clothing meshes, etc) or is it simply a problem with the game (it never gave me problems before yesterday)? And if it's just a thing with the entire game, is there a way to fix it?

Help please :( I depend on the Sims 2 to keep my mind off of stuff.

Discord
07-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Uninstall, delete all files in the directory then reinstall. Also check if there's a folder called "Sims 2" somewhere in My Documents (I recommend using a search through all folders). If it's there, delete that too before reinstalling. That usually fixes this sort of problem.

One of the things you downloaded probably corrupted one of the profile files, which are, in fact, usually kept on the HDD after the de-installation in case you want to play the game again with your old saves.

~*~Celes~*~
07-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Uninstall, delete all files in the directory then reinstall. Also check if there's a folder called "Sims 2" somewhere in My Documents (I recommend using a search through all folders). If it's there, delete that too before reinstalling. That usually fixes this sort of problem.

One of the things you downloaded probably corrupted one of the profile files, which are, in fact, usually kept on the HDD after the de-installation in case you want to play the game again with your old saves.
Okay I tried to do what you said, but I can't delete one of the files- the corrupted one. What should I do about that?

crono_logical
07-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Trying running chkdsk on the drive the file is on first (right-click drive in Explorer > Properties > Tools > Check Now...), then try deleting it again afterwards.

Discord
07-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Okay I tried to do what you said, but I can't delete one of the files- the corrupted one. What should I do about that?

Where is it stored? If it's not in My Documents, you can just install the game in a different location which should fix the problem.

o_O
07-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Restarting your computer in safe mode could let you delete it but run chkdsk first like clout said.

If I'm not mistaken, The Sims puts all of the save files in whatever documents folder, so back that up and try removing the saves too.

Mirage
07-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Also, the Sims save files like to grow to as much as 500 MB. :/

But yeah, it rebooting in safe mode to delete it sounds like a plan. In order to do that, you need to press F8 right before the Windows loading screen appears, and select safe mode from the list.

I also remember the Sims 2 having problems with save files and expansion packs, but that might be unrelated. In either case, the save files should be in a sub folder in My Documents. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out which folder it is, I remember it being properly labelled.

~*~Celes~*~
07-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Well, I managed to get rid of the file. I ran check disk and all's fine now :p Now to reinstall and see how it works.

Huggles 'n cookies to you all in thanks! :jess: