PDA

View Full Version : MIDI????

FLAMEBOY
07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
:confused: Now everyone knows what an MIDI file is!! But I had got a MIDI Keyboard for my 14th Birthday... iy is now 2 years later and i don't know how to use it (proplery). i can connect it to my sheet music-making software, where i can play notes that last for the same time :( but is that all it dose?:confused:

Levian
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Moved to the Help Forum.

Peegee
07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
It's *supposed* to record midi files and play them back. That's all it is -- an input device :)

Discord
07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Midi's are handy for ringtones. A midi-keyboard/violin is the only real way to convert a song into midi [unless you scan in the notes and run a converter over them(which still won't give out any good results)].

Rostum
07-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Midi is just data that triggers certain parameters (like note-on, note-off, velocity, panning, etc.). Usually, you use midi to record the data that triggers sounds in a program (like Cubase, Reason, Fruity Loops) and at that stage you'd export it as either compressed (mp3) or uncompressed (wav).

It's actually quite interesting and amazing the amount of libraries you can use with midi, that will generate real-sounding instruments (and I don't mean from only triggering samples either).