PDA

View Full Version : What game was the peak of Megaman's popularity?

Dragonsoul
07-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Megaman
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Megaman.jpg

The Megaman video game series is very popular and has a lot of games. Nowadays the series isn't as popular as it once was. What year and/or game do you think was the peak of the popularity for Megaman? Do you think maybe Megaman 5 or Megaman X in the early 1990's?

I'm currently playing some of these games on an emulator for fun. I just beat Megaman 1(Nes) for the first time.

Mega Man (series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_%28series%29)
List of Mega Man games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mega_Man_games)

Dragonsoul
07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Post editing isn't working for me, doesn't load, I want to add these links.

Capcom: Mega Man (http://www.capcom.com/megaman/)
MMHP: The Mega Man Home Page (http://www.mmhp.net/)
megaman - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=megaman&btnG=Google+Search)

Ramza Beoulve
07-06-2007, 02:34 AM
I should say that the Megaman 2, Megaman 7, Megaman X, Megaman X3, and Megaman Zero are the peaks of Megaman popularity IMO

Momiji
07-06-2007, 03:57 AM
The NES games were by far the peak, I believe. Everything after the linear number series (1-8 I believe?) just became another forced knockoff to line Capcom's wallets.

Roto13
07-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Mega Man X 1-4ish were good, but after that the whole series started going downhill. I think the peak was probably Mega Man 2-3.

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Mega Man 1-3 and 7 (2 of course being the best but 3 is pretty good considering it being rushed)

Mega Man X 1, 2, 4, 5 (though 6 is my favorite and 8 turned out to be good. Hell even Command Missions is actually a good solid RPG)

I can't say much about the Zero series as I've only played the first one (loved it) and I can't say much about Battle Network cause it looks horribly stupid. The type of game I would play only for the gameplay and never for the story.

I wish they would make Mega Man 9:cry:

Araciel
07-06-2007, 08:12 AM
my favourite was X but i don't remember the megaman craze ever.

Jessweeee♪
07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I've played two megamans...one we rented before I started playing games for long periods of time (I think my MOM played that game), the other one my uncle bought and I haven't seen since he moved out. The one my uncle had was Megaman 8, I think...it was kinda fun...

Roto13
07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I played the first Battle Network and really liked it.

Dreddz
07-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Mega man 2 was definitely the series peak.

Dragonsoul
07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Dreddz, Megaman 2 could be the series peak. Were you playing these games at that time? I remember when these games were out.

Megaman X was ultiamte and popular but I think the series peaked earlier. I'm guessing 2-5 could be the peak.

I'm playing 3 now

Megaman 2 and Megaman 5 and Megaman X had top music! :)

KentaRawr!
07-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know if Megaman X3 was the peak of popularity, but it DEFINITELY was the peak of the series in terms of pure awesomeness.

Namelessfengir
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
did this game ever have a peak?

Masamunemaster
07-08-2007, 04:47 AM
Did you just say what I think you said?

But I would say that x was the best and that they need to get rid of these new card battle games and go back to the 2d and maybe, just maybe 3d.

Rengori
07-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Mega Man X 1-4ish were good, but after that the whole series started going downhill. I think the peak was probably Mega Man 2-3.

Don't forget Megaman 7.

The Ceej
07-08-2007, 06:35 AM
First, I'd like to say that the Mega Man X games don't count. They were part of a completely different (and in my opinion, inferior) series. The peak was at Mega Man VI, when they had Dr. Wily captured to end the series. Little did they know that even though the Nintendo was retired, fans would want more. So, against their better judgment, they gave it to us. Mega Man VII was good, but inferior to the others, though it did contain the best song out of the series, the Intro Stage music. Mega Man III and Mega Man V had to have been the best. Come to think of it, they were the only ones to have blue balls in their passwords. It's like they were telling us a secret. That these games were meant to the the best. 'Course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Ramza Beoulve
07-08-2007, 09:07 AM
First, I'd like to say that the Mega Man X games don't count. They were part of a completely different (and in my opinion, inferior) series. The peak was at Mega Man VI, when they had Dr. Wily captured to end the series. Little did they know that even though the Nintendo was retired, fans would want more. So, against their better judgment, they gave it to us. Mega Man VII was good, but inferior to the others, though it did contain the best song out of the series, the Intro Stage music. Mega Man III and Mega Man V had to have been the best. Come to think of it, they were the only ones to have blue balls in their passwords. It's like they were telling us a secret. That these games were meant to the the best. 'Course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. The X series are actually part of the series, with the Zero, ZX and Legends series, because they are part of the same timeline. And IMO, X bring a lot of innovation to the series, like did Zero later on with its gameplay and art design. What I gotta say? I Just Love Rockman! :p

The Ceej
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM

They actually did on the Super Famicom in Japan. I have a Japanese ROM for it. I believe they ended up releasing it on the GBA under the name Mega Man And Bass. Not than anything released only on a handheld counts as existing, but if you're into handhelds...

Rengori
07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey, that was a fun game, playing as Bass was fucking awesome.

Brennan
07-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Megaman 1-5 was the peak to me.

ljkkjlcm9
07-08-2007, 11:48 PM
LOL

there is no peak

know why? If you took a graph of megaman popularity, it'd be more like a sin wave or something.

It varies dramatically. Some games are highly popular, others not so much. Personally, I enjoy them all to some extent, but of course some more than others. Megaman 2 was hardly the "peak." Maybe in some of your eyes, but if it only got worse after that, they wouldn't still be making new games, and new TV shows and etc.

THE JACKEL

Peter_20
07-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I've only played the NES games, but I'd rank those games like this:

Mega Man 2 :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Mega Man 3 :D:D:D
Mega Man 1 :D
Mega Man 4 :)
Mega Man 5 :greenie:
Mega Man 6 :eep:

KentaRawr!
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM

They actually did on the Super Famicom in Japan. I have a Japanese ROM for it. I believe they ended up releasing it on the GBA under the name Mega Man And Bass. Not than anything released only on a handheld counts as existing, but if you're into handhelds...

In Japan, it was called Rockman and Forte. It could be perceived as a spin-off game, I suppose, but it was still basically a Megaman Game, with the same basic formula. I was surprised by the quality of the port to the GBA. On the GBA, it's pretty much identical to the Super Famicom version, even with the music.

The Ceej
07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I probably don't have to tell you, but there is a game for PS2 and Gamecube called Mega Man Anniversary Collection which is Mega Man 1-8 and unlockable battle games. I believe they're called Power Fighters or something like that. I'm offended by the idea of unlockable levels, games, cars, tracks, or whatever in a game. Hey, I paid for the game and everything that came with it. If you can't give me what I paid for without having me work for it, then I don't want your crap game. The first thing I do when I find something is "unlockable," is call the company and demand a code that will unlock it, but all they ever do is tell me what I need to do in the game to unlock it. That's why I haven't bought a Need For Speed game since Hot Persuit 2. Give me what I paid for or I won't pay for it. Simple as that. Though, I did unlock the Mega Man fighting games and they aren't all that great. They're fun, but way too easy.

Ramza Beoulve
07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Then why did you buy it? :rolleyes2

The unlockable things are for gamers that love to get a prize for their work IMO, and I actually like that :). That makes you feel that you are doing the right thing.

Anyways, the first unlockable game is called "Megaman: The Power Battle", the second one "Megaman 2: The Power Fighters", and they are easy because they were made for Arcade.

Roto13
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm offended by the idea of unlockable levels, games, cars, tracks, or whatever in a game. Hey, I paid for the game and everything that came with it. If you can't give me what I paid for without having me work for it, then I don't want your crap game. The first thing I do when I find something is "unlockable," is call the company and demand a code that will unlock it, but all they ever do is tell me what I need to do in the game to unlock it. That's why I haven't bought a Need For Speed game since Hot Persuit 2. Give me what I paid for or I won't pay for it. Simple as that.

Bitter. :P

Dragonsoul
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
This is great! When I made this thread I am talking about every single Megaman Game, including X and others. I still think it's somewhere between Megaman 2 and Megaman 5. Games nowadays aren't as popular for Megaman but I remember when everybody was playing the Nes ones. :)

Ramza Beoulve
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
They aren't as popular because everyone thinks the formula is a little old, but a real fan just enjoy the Megaman Games n.n. Sadly, sometimes Capcom makes the formula a lot to much, like the Battle Network series, but I enjoyed Megaman 3 when I first played it when I was a child as much as I enjoy replaying it and Rockman Zero (I have the Japanese version).