PDA

View Full Version : VF5 360 - Online Play

JKTrix
07-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Sega, no doubt feeling the pressure from Namco, revealed that the 360 version of Virtua Fighter 5 will feature online play. I only know one other person here who cares about this, but for what it's worth: Holy Crap: Virtua Fighter 5 360 Goes Online - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/holy-crap/virtua-fighter-5-360-goes-online-275659.php)

I have no regrets. I knew it was coming for the 360 before I picked up my PS3 and was thinking of waiting, but certain news about the PS3's future caused me to get one early.

It's unknown whether or not they will update the PS3 version to do this. One theory that was floating around back in the 'no-way-vf-is-gonna-be-online' days was that if the Console games featured online play, no one would go to play in the arcades anymore. If this was/is Sega's way of thinking, putting VF5 online on the 360 isn't a big deal. Japan, for the most part, doesn't care about the 360 so putting it online there won't eat into the arcade market.

I'll probably buy it again for the 360 depending on what exactly is being done online. I don't intend to do much online fighting, as my latency is horrible. But if they offer downloadable updates to costumes and stuff that the PS3 won't see, I'll definitely get it. Also, Achievements.

Slothy
07-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Interesting though I'm not sure if they'll pull it off well. The main reason they said they wouldn't take it online was that any latency would kill the experience, and any attempt to compensate for latency would change the timing of moves, and basically fundamentaly change the gameplay. If they pull it off then hopefully the PS3 version will see an update, but I'm still skeptical that it will play as well as it should online.

XxSephirothxX
07-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Seems like they should be able to pull it off, considering how little is going on onscreen in a fighting game versus something like a shooter with 16 people, but I guess even the tiniest bit of lag can throw things off. It's a pretty big "in your face" to Sony if they don't update the PS3 version though. :p

JKTrix
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Somehow I believe that Sega only did it because Namco turned up the heat on them. They were pretty adamant beforehand about latency issues inhibiting the optimal fighting experience, but now that Soul Calibur and Tekken--their biggest competitor--are going online, they were kind of backed into a corner.

I personally don't see it working well for me overall, but it should be interesting to see how these games handle lag.

Dreddz
07-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Im trading in my PS3 version, its as simple as that. Tekken 5 and now this, Im pretty overwelmed really, now some luck does seem to be coming my way.

Ive kinda cooled down on how much Ive been playing Virtua Fighter 5, but I took that game apart within only a month. Theres nothing more I really need to see now. So to say that Im going to buy this game again is something I cant seem to understand, but online play is what I craved the most and the PS3 version just didnt satisfy my need for that.

Dunno if Im liking the idea of using the 360 controller for the game though, its not so much a big deal but I wasnt feeling that controller with Dead or Alive 4 I have to say.

JKTrix
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
How to 'fix' the 360's dpad. (http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/360dpadfix/360dpadfix.htm) It's a little work, but it really works.

I have the 360's DOA4 stick as well, which is okay. They'll be making another arcade stick for VF5.