PDA

View Full Version : The Deathly Hallows (Mark Spoilers!)

Pages : [1] 2

Garnie
07-07-2007, 01:39 AM
ok so the books out in 13 days and im all excited!

theres lots to descuss here! So lets start with what we know that will happen
Character Information

* We will find out something "incredibly important" about Lily Potter.
* R.A.B's identity will be revealed.
* We will discover more about Dumbledore's past.
* We will learn with whom Snape's loyalties lie.
* Something will be revealed about Petunia Dursley, although we already know that she is not a Squib.
* Viktor Krum will return (World Book Day, 2004 interview).
* We will see a reappearance of Dolores Umbridge: "It's too much fun to torture her not to have another little bit more before I finish."
* JKR has said "There is a character who does manage, in desperate circumstances, to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare..."

Plot Information

* Harry will face Voldemort for the final time.
* Harry will be attempting to find and destroy Voldemort’s remaining Horcruxes.
* Harry will return to the Dursleys' during the school vacation, but the magical protection Dumbledore arranged will expire when Harry comes of age on his 17th birthday.
* Harry will go to Godric's Hollow.
* The two-way mirror will make a reappearance.
* Fleur and Bill's wedding will occur.li>
* The fact that Harry "has his mother's eyes" will prove to be an important plot point.
* At least one character will die.

do you have any therioes? descuss!

oh by the way! when the book is realised ill ask kindly if you PLEASE dont post spoilers! im a big fan of hp and i dont want it spoiled! just theories!

Bunny
07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
You are asking not to post spoilers in a thread clearly marked "Spoilers"?

I read somewhere in the news(!) that at least two people die.

Fonzie
07-07-2007, 01:42 AM
These aren't really spoilers. Every person who reads Harry Potter should know all these facts already. :p

Edit: Nevermind I didn't know some of these.

Garnie
07-07-2007, 01:46 AM
nah what i ment was when you read the 7th book not to post the facts and let everyone have a chance to read it first if you know what i mean
i recon Hagrid will die!
hes a big charrictor(no pun intended) and i dont think he would have anymore contribution to the story!

Ouch!
07-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Nice job copy-pasting from mugglenet. =P

Yeah, I'm stoked. As far as deaths go, Rowling said something about true evil attacking people that matter most, and when she told her husband who was going to die, his reply was something like "Oh no! Not that one!" As long as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny make it through, I'll be fine.

I, too, think Hagrid is a likely candidate. Hagrid's entire life was built on Dumbledore's support. Without Dumbledore to constantly vouch for him, to provide him with a job, a home... well, I just don't think Hagrid has a whole lot going for him if Dumbledore isn't there to back him up. I've always felt that Wormtail was going to die in the end, and given Sirius's death, I imagine Lupin dying is a very real possibility.

Also, Rowling has said that one character got a reprieve from death and another died in that character's place. If this is true, I imagine that means those deaths do not significantly alter the final outcome. She's had this story in her head for years, and I doubt she'd decide to make such a major change as deciding not to kill someone incredibly important (or deciding to kill another important character in his/her place.

Apparently, questioning Dumbledore's past is a "profitable line of inquiry." As such, I believe it is very likely that Aberforth will be making his long-delayed appearance, or rather, he'll be officially announced. I think it's been made abundantly clear that the barman at the Hog's Head is Aberforth Dumbledore. Harry first goes there after seeing a picture of the old Order of the Phoenix, in which he sees Aberforth for the first time, and at the bar its noted that the barman looks familiar. Also, in book four, Dumbledore mentions that his brother performed illegal charms on a goat. The Hog's Head is explicitly described to be smelling of goats. It's also noted that the barman was at Dumbledore's funeral, which wouldn't have deserved mention if he wasn't important. Rowling has also said that we have yet to officially meet her favorite Order member. The only one we know about who has yet to be properly introduced to the story is Aberforth.

If Dumbledore's past is going to become important, who would know it better than his own brother? Also, one must remember that it's possible that Aberforth has a good idea about the prophesy. Trelawny's account of the night of her interview reveals that it took place at the Hogs Head and the one who caught Snape outside of the room was the barman.

I'm particularly interested in the significance of the two-way mirror. If it's making a return, does that mean Sirius is on the other side? Rowling never hesitated to confirm that Dumbledore was dead and gone, but she's always been a little sketchy on the details of Sirius's death. She's always insisted that it was absolutely necessary that Sirius die, and I really doubt that eliminating father figures in Harry's life was the only reason.

Other things I'm curious about:
How does Harry find Godric's Hollow? A proper explanation of the fidelius charm has not been given, but the only people who should know of the location are Wormtail, the secret-keeper, and Voldemort. If the charm is still in place, does this mean Wormtail will tell Harry where it is as part of his life debt? If not, how will Wormtail fulfill his life debt to Harry?

It was recently announced that when the screenplay for Order of the Phoenix was being written, Rowling said explicitly that it was a bad idea to leave out Kreacher. This lends credibility to the theory that R.A.B. is Regelus Black and that Kreacher was the one who accompanied him.

Given that Rowling has frequently insisted that the power of love is what will allow Harry to defeat Voldemort, I imagine that means most characters will get a happy ending, at least the ones most important to Harry (Ron, Hermione, and Ginny). I don't think she can so easily tear people Harry loves the most. It wouldn't do much to help him use that power against Voldemort.

That's only the surface of what's going through my mind. This post is long enough, though.

Skyblade
07-07-2007, 06:53 AM
My theory: Voldemort will kill Harry and Neville, and maybe the rest of the popular group, and will in turn be killed by a Muggle.

Eiko Guy
07-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I always liked the idea of voldermort being shot by petunia.

Garnie
07-07-2007, 12:23 PM
wow!
that post was long but i strongly agree!
i think everyone knew that sirus isnt really dead! but then again nearlly headless nick mentioned that sirius isnt a ghost and he wont become one! untill you mentioned that kreature may have helped regulas get the locket i never actully thought of that but it makes sense!
i allways thought that alberthorth was the barman of the hogs head lol!

allso i think that Snape will die too! i dont think hes evil..(but then again hes my favorate charrictor in the book and films.)
i recon he will be the one to die after saving harry from somthing! it will be either him or wormtail!

i dont think lupin will die! but maybe one of the weaslys will get it like charlie,bill or maybee even Arther.

as for the importent thing about petunia, i have no idea!

as for some being able to perform magic later on in life, i recon that will be filtch!

allso i dont care what mugglenet says i recon that crookshanks has somthing very impoortent about him! he was the only animal in the film to realise scabbers for what he really is.

Comet
07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Neville kills Voldemort.

41-Inches-Wide
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Rowling never hesitated to confirm that Dumbledore was dead and gone, but she's always been a little sketchy on the details of Sirius's death.

I know right!!! :3
I nearly burst into tears when I read Sirius was gone. But it seemed too abrupt for me and I really really hope he comes back in any form whatsoever. I miss Sirius very much.

GOD I HATE SNAPE.
I felt so betrayed. I know there must be a purpose to this and crap but OMG I abhor him I wish I didn't trust him ever since he saved harry in year 1. He was pretty consistent on his act as a sinister character but who still helped when it mattered but the moment welcomed the two women ---i forgot the other one's name, the one who caused sirius' death, but I know the other one was malfoy's mom--- AND WHEN HE MADE the ubreakable vow I was all D:< OMGFXX TRAITOR!!!!!!!!

uh ok. I just miss Sirius and Dumbledore a whole lot. :(

Garnie
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
i love snape!
narsissa and bellatrix are the names ya looking for!
snape is a good guy! remeber in the half blood prince that hagrid mentioned that snape and dumblydoor were argueing!
well.....you get the picture! i wonder if harry will get back together with Ginny?

Goldenboko
07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
t back together with Ginny and Hermione for a "good time"?

:jokey:

Ouch!
07-07-2007, 06:58 PM
i wonder if harry will get back together with Ginny?
You have no idea how upset I'd be if that didn't happen. That relationship was a long time coming, and I can't believe it's going to end so abruptly. Harry deserves his happy ending.

Also, Garnie, I think it's abundantly clear that Sirius is dead in the sense that once you fall beyond the Veil, you're stuck there. I never doubted that. While Rowling never gave details about Sirius's death, she did say that he died. If the two-way mirror is indeed making a return, I'm willing to bet it's going to allow Harry to contact Sirius from beyond the Veil. I still think that the Veil is going to be very important, and I know some people seem to think it has to do with the Deathly Hallows, whatever those may turn out to be.

I refuse to believe that Snape is evil. Dumbledore does say that he does make mistakes, and when he does make a mistake, it tends to be much worse than normal ones. However, I do not believe that Dumbledore would trust Snape without a very good reason. Harry seems to believe that Dumbledore trusted Snape because after he told Voldemort about the prophesy, he rushed to Dumbledore and apologized, explaining that he hated himself for it, blah, blah, blah.

Dumbledore may always try to see the good in people, but he's not an idiot. Dumbledore wouldn't just accept an apology as an unwavering bond of trust. There's something else there. All of Snape's actions in HBP are consistent with a good bluff. If he had refused the unbreakable vow, his loyalty would have come into question. I'm absolutely sure that Dumbledore knew of the vow, and I also believe that Dumbledore's argument with Snape in the Forbidden Forest was about whether or not Snape was to complete his vow.

The whole scene when Hogwarts is attacked is a little bit off anyway. I know I'm not the only one who would never peg Dumbledore as the type of guy to plead for his life. I think he was begging Snape to kill him. Also, right before Snape kills Dumbledore, he's described as having a look of pure hatred. I actually believe this is even more proof of his loyalty. As others have mentioned, in the cave, when Dumbledore orders Harry to keep feeding him the potion no matter how much pain it causes him, Harry is also described as feeling utter hatred toward Dumbledore because Dumbledore has forced Harry to cause him pain. The similarities are too uncanny for a coincidence.

Also, as Snape runs away, he taunts Harry, but there are more to these taunts. The way I look at it, the taunts are advice. Snape tells Harry that he can't (and shouldn't) try unforgivable curses. He also says that Harry will never win if he can't shut his mouth and close his mind. Seems like good advice to me. Practice wordless magic and occulmency.

Rowling has also stated that she cannot tell us the form of Snape's patronus or what his boggart is as it is too revealing about his character. Another thing of note regarding Snape is that when Harry accuses him in front of Dumbledore, Fawkes squawks angrily.

Yup... more later maybe?

Doomie
07-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I decided to re-read the six first books for the bazillionth time before I read the seventh, and one thing really bugged me. In book four, when Harry is battling Voldemort, there was the Priori Incantatem. I remember Dumbledore later telling Harry that that particular effect makes the wand regurgitate its past spells in reverse order. However, when the echoes of the people Voldemort killed in the past are coming out of his wand, James comes out before Lily, which would mean that Lily was the first to be killed, contrary to what the first six books have been describing.

Rye
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow, good one, MP! I didn't catch that, so I wonder if that comes up in the last book.

I think Hermoine or Hagrid die, to be honest. I think Neville has a large part in the final battle too, for some reason. I'm so excited for the book. I'm requesting a day off from work for it. xD

Doomie
07-07-2007, 08:33 PM
MP, being my ultra-secret nickname, of course. Also, as for the dying, I'm assuming that every single father figure Harry has had will die. Mr. Weasley never seemed like one to Harry, so I'll go with Lupin and Hagrid.

Rocket Edge
07-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Harry will die, because he is a Horcrux (so in order to fully kill Voldemort, he must kill himself), and I believe he will literally save someones life in the book while destroying himself (possibly Ron, Hermione, or Ginny).

Theres a possibility that the whole situation becomes too much for Malfoy too, that at some point he may crack and leak important information about the Death Eaters to the Order, which will obviously prove benificial for the good guys (and not very much so for Bellatrix).

R.A.B. If the letters stand for Regulus Black, then I believe it stands for something crucial in the book, and could prove to be a plot point in itself (it could be probable that we get to learn an awful lot more about the Black family also).

The prophecy will be fullfilled.

Ginny & Harry will get back together, and Ron & Hermione will get together.

I also think Centuars will join forces with Order (With possible persuasion from Firenze), and possibly take on the Inferi, Fenrir Greyback, and maybe even the Giants.

Oh and also, Grawp will be immense! :D

Eiko Guy
07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
When the prophecy said neither can live while the other survives, I think If harry survives Voldermort would be dead. and if Voldermort survives harry must have died. If harry is a horcrux then killing harry wouldn't be all that smart. Think about it If he kills harry he loses a horcruz if he loses to harry, harry being a horcrux would keep him alive.

Harry is not a Horcrux.

PWN.

Old Manus
07-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Just go onto four chan and /r/ Harry Potter spoilers, they got the key pages scanned

GooeyToast
07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Just go onto four chan and /r/ Harry Potter spoilers, they got the key pages scanned

ORLY. I've only seen speculation.

Garnie
07-08-2007, 02:21 AM
the whole harry is a hourcrux thing is a complete croc!
it just seems to simple to me! which is also why i think harry wont die!

Fawlks will be an important aspect of the book because the phoenix is an important part threw all of harrys wizarding life!

his wand has fawlks tail feather!
fawlks helped him with his battle against the baslisisk
that bird is allways about dontcha think!

also according to cover art in america harry appers to be riding a dragon!
whats all that about dya recon?

Ouch!
07-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Riding a dragon what now?

I also do not believe the Harry is a horcrux theory for various reasons, most detailed in essays on mugglenet by other people. There are too many inconsistencies if this theory is involved. Aside from the contradiction with the prophesy (already detailed), it also is not magically possible. Voldemort intended to make a horcrux using Harry's death. Since this did not happen, it is not possible to make a horcrux. A horcrux must be made with intent. It requires a difficult and dark spell, which Voldemort would not have been able to cast as the curse rebounded. Even if he had used Lily's death as the murder to fuel the horcrux, he couldn't cast the spell to create a horcrux.

Throughout the books, Neville's growth has been carefully directed. He truly shined in the fifth book during the raid on the Ministry of Magic. Rowling confirmed that Neville is out of the prophesy, so I do not believe he will have any significance in the final battle against Voldemort. That's Harry's territory all the way. I would be terribly surprised, however, if Neville didn't get a shot at Bellatrix Lestrange.

I think it's a very real possibility that, in some way, Malfoy will redeem himself. He's not evil. This has been made abundantly clear. He's a little snot, definitely, but he's not evil. He wants to protect his mother. If Snape is still a good guy, as I believe, he's going to help Malfoy. That aside, Snape is (quite possibly) still bound by the Unbreakable Vow to protect Malfoy. The vow had three conditions: help Malfoy achieve his goal, protect him, and do the job if he fails. The second condition was the only one that was not specified to last only as long as Malfoy is working on his mission.

I read an interesting comment about Dumbledore's promise to hide Malfoy, too. When I reread the sixth book recently, I can see where there might be some truth to the theory. Dumbledore says that he can hide Malfoy and his mother more completely than Malfoy could ever imagine. This makes me wonder if that means the Order has experience with such things. Ollivander, perhaps? I don't think it's a coincidence that when Ollivander disappeared, the single wand in the shop window disappeared with him. Perhaps a horcrux? The wand of one of the original founders? It's possible, and I decided a long time ago that Rowling doesn't throw in random details. After all, the cleaning scene in Order of the Phoenix seemed out of place at the time, but after reading the sixth book, it's pretty obvious that the sealed locket they found while cleaning is the true horcrux. Of course, that could pose a problem. Did Kreacher hide it with the other heirlooms he pilfered, or did Mundugus Fletcher steal it along with the other Black family items?

Garnie
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
i knew that locket was a hourcrux! it also confirms that RAB is regulas Black! the wand in the window of ollivanders i diddntm pick up on! way to go Ouch!
Malfoy i think will end up helping Harry and will be in the final battle! im convinsed that the battle will take place at hogworts!

there was a wacky feeling i had that maybe Hogworts it self was a hourcrux! although that is a silly theroe but still Crazt V will take over the school! its what he has always wanted.

Rye
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow, Ouch, I didn't pick up on any of that. :o Good eyes.

Rostum
07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
You need a girl, Ouch. :D

Ouch!
07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
While I accept the praise, I didn't do it alone. The editorials here (http://mugglenet.com/editorials/index.shtml) gave my a lot of the information I've formed my opinions on, and, in some cases, influenced those opinions by introducing things I had not considered. The ones on this page (http://mugglenet.com/books/futurebooks/book7/theories.shtml) are particularly excellent as they discuss some of the most important points of Deathly Hallows in great depth. Although I do believe Snape is a good guy, I found the "Argument: Snape is working for himself: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Antagonist" essay to be particularly well done and very interesting.

Some are better than others. The argument for Snape being a good guy, for example, is much better organized and written than the opposing argument. If you really like Harry Potter, and have some time to sit down and read (you can't begin to imagine how many of these I read at 3:00 AM when I can't fall asleep) them, I truly suggest taking a look.

I'm also wondering about Priori Incantatum. Voldemort and Harry cannot duel with their wands. Will each find a new wand for the final battle? Will they resort to wandless magic? We know Harry is capable of it in dire situations. It is common for magical children to exhibit accidental magic at young ages (Neville bouncing unharmed when dropped from a window, for instance), but how many children are able to apparate by accident? Harry was being chased by Dudley's gang and suddenly found himself on the roof of the school. Given how difficult apparation is for even adult wizards, this strikes me as particularly exceptional.

Will it be a spell that slays Voldemort? I'm not too sure. I think there would be a very satisfying sense of justice if Harry were to defeat Voldemort using Gryffindor's sword. If Voldemort and Harry are not able to effectively utilize magic against each other, I believe Harry's best option would be some form of physical combat. Voldemort is a withered thing. His body is deteriorated from severing his soul into so many fragments. He's got no chance against a 17-year-old kid in good physical form (he can't be an athlete without being in shape, even if he is flying a broom; it's been a long time since Harry was described as having knobby knees). I don't think a full out melee combat is likely, but there's just something about the sword that makes me think Harry will use it. I suppose it is noteworthy, however, that Ron wields it on the cover of the British version.

Eiko Guy
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I am dying to buy the 7 book set on AMazon but it's not available til september 18. I can't wait that long.
at least theres only about 2 weeks left.

I believe that R.A.B. Will be part of the black family. I feel like reading all the books over to just find someone who's last name is B... Y'know.

About us not meeting her favorite order member. Hmm I have my speculations. Maybe it's someone we've met but haven't MET.

Tallulah
07-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I am currently reading this here editorial (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/madampuddifoot/edit-rlabozetta01.shtml), and cannot get the imaginary (hopefully!) scene of Snape hitting harry with a Darth Vader-esque revelation out of my head. :D

Snape: 'Potter... I am your father.'

Harry: *drops wand* 'NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!'

Ouch!
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I believe that R.A.B. Will be part of the black family. I feel like reading all the books over to just find someone who's last name is B... Y'know.
Like his little brother Regulus who was a Death Eater and, thus, might have been able to more easily gather information about Voldemort's use of a horcrux (his note makes it clear that R.A.B. believes there is only one horcrux)?

About us not meeting her favorite order member. Hmm I have my speculations. Maybe it's someone we've met but haven't MET.
I'm still betting on Aberforth Dumbledore.

Tallulah, the only shipping essays I've ever read are the ones for Ginny and Harry, as that's the only canonical relationship I give half a damn about (and they better get back together in the end or I'm going to be completely and totally devastated). I've never been one for the crazy pairings. Neville and Luna? What?

Edit: By the way, I was just informed that the book is not being shipped to my doorstep on the morning of the 21st. As this is the case, I must be present for the sale of the book at 12:01 AM. I went for book six because I had some friends there, even though I had no book to pick up. When I arrived they bullied me into dressing up as Voldemort. They wanted to put a rubber cap to make me bald, etc. I drew the line at the robe. But yeah, now I've got more reason to go than just being harassed by friends!

Eiko Guy
07-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I want R.A.B. to be someone who can transform into crookshanks. That would be a great place to hide you know. Who would ever suspect the cat. You wouldn't be meeting them only their human form.

Garnie
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I am currently reading this here editorial (http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/madampuddifoot/edit-rlabozetta01.shtml), and cannot get the imaginary (hopefully!) scene of Snape hitting harry with a Darth Vader-esque revelation out of my head. :D

Snape: 'Potter... I am your father.'

Harry: *drops wand* 'NOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!'

that me laugth so hard lol!

the wand thing and the spells tha ouch was menioning made me think....
Harry will never use dark magic accoriding to jk but i think that if he was hit with the avada kedavra it will totaaly kill him.
speachially if he did it with voldeys wand!

Maybe olivander will give harry a wepon to finish him or.....
maybe Regulas isnt dead and and give harry the wepon. we already know that no one found him he just disserpeared right!

sorry for the typos and spelling ^_^

Ouch!
07-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Regulus cannot possibly be alive. If it was so, he would have been the rightful owner of Grimmauld Place, and Kreacher would not have had to follow Harry's instructions throughout the sixth book.

Also, Rowling has already confirmed that Crookshanks is not an animagus, although I vaguely remember there being something about Crookshanks being half kneazle, which would explain the intelligence.

Araciel
07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
bah harry probably is a horcrux.

Garnie
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
thats not possible because voldermort would not have time to give out the spell when the vursebackfired!

Araciel
07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
nothing is impossible within the realm of fiction.

Clawsze
07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
What if....Hedwig is an Animagus!!!

Also, I think Neville willl play a very big part, you know, being all "I could of been like you Harry"....I'd laugh if this happened...

Voldemort kills Harry.

V man: MWAHAHAHA...wait, why don't I feel evil.

Neville appears with twin Uzi's and a Bazooka on his back, Rambo Style.

N man: AARRRGGHHHHH(Trips and dies)

Hedwig appears and turns into....MR. T.....with guns, lots of guns...and milk.

I mean, a wizard can't heal from a gun shot right?

Garnie
07-09-2007, 09:28 PM
you know...that could happen lol

Araciel
07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
somehow neville walking around like rambo doesn't make sense...i don't care how tall the actor has gotten in the movies, he's just not that manly XD

Ouch!
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I really doubt any pets will be revealed as anigmagi. Rowling already pulled that stunt once, and it'd be stupid to pull it again, much less this late in the series.

One of the things I'm most concerned about is how Voldemort's wand came to be in Wormtail's possession. The wand must have been removed from the ruins of Godric's Hollow before Harry was found. Hagrid may be in enough of a frenzy to overlook it, but Sirius Black would not miss such an important item. Does this mean that Wormtail was present when Voldemort attacked? If not, to whom might he have revealed the location?

There's a couple theories out there suggesting that Wormtail has had Voldemort's wand all this time (or at least had hidden it while impersonating a pet rat) and that it is the wand he used to blow up the street when Sirius cornered him. Everyone always talks about what a pitiful wizard Wormtail is, but I imagine even an idiot might be able to do some damage with the wand of the most powerful wizard of the age. He can wield Voldemort's wand. He used it to cast the killing curse on Cedric before restoring Voldemort. Crouch, Jr. said that the killing curse takes a strong bit of magic, something Wormtail might not have been able to achieve without a wand that had already cast it so many times.

Of course, the fault is that when Priori Incantatem occured when Harry dueled Voldemort, no spell that might have been used to blow up a street was echoed before Harry's parents appeared.

Doomie
07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Everyone always talks about what a pitiful wizard Wormtail is, but I imagine even an idiot might be able to do some damage with the wand of the most powerful wizard of the age. He can wield Voldemort's wand. He used it to cast the killing curse on Cedric before restoring Voldemort. Crouch, Jr. said that the killing curse takes a strong bit of magic, something Wormtail might not have been able to achieve without a wand that had already cast it so many times.

As much as everyone says how bad a wizard he is, I still firmly believe that he would had to have at least SOME power in order to be able to blow up half a street.

I also firmly believe that Neville will end up getting rid of Rabastan, Rodolphus, and Bellatrix Lestrange.

Araciel
07-09-2007, 11:57 PM
neville had better kill bellatrix...or at least have sex with her in a degrading way

Garnie
07-10-2007, 12:53 AM
of course he will!
nevel is a bad ass towards the end!
remember hes well up for a fight it was only nevel and luna that answerd the call of the gallions!

Araciel
07-10-2007, 12:54 AM
i vote degrading sex

Garnie
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
you would lol!

what will happen to higworts? dya recon harry will actully change his mind and go back for a bit?

Ouch!
07-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Everyone always talks about what a pitiful wizard Wormtail is, but I imagine even an idiot might be able to do some damage with the wand of the most powerful wizard of the age. He can wield Voldemort's wand. He used it to cast the killing curse on Cedric before restoring Voldemort. Crouch, Jr. said that the killing curse takes a strong bit of magic, something Wormtail might not have been able to achieve without a wand that had already cast it so many times.

As much as everyone says how bad a wizard he is, I still firmly believe that he would had to have at least SOME power in order to be able to blow up half a street.
But is that power his own or merely a byproduct of using the wand of an incredibly powerful wizard which is already well versed in destructive magic? I don't think Rowling has ever exactly stated the relationship between the wand and a wizard, or whether or not one wand is more powerful than another, but I'm not willing to rule out the possibility.

The other theory (which I think is absolutely bogus) is that Fudge was in on it. While he says he was never a Death Eater, he never passed up an opportunity to advance himself. Some have mentioned that it was entirely too lucky for Fudge to be the first person to arrive to find the twelve dead muggles on a blasted street and Sirius Black laughing like a maniac. I think that's a little far-fetched, though, and I believe that Fudge has played his role in the series and will not make any more significant appearances.

While I agree that Neville is certainly becoming more powerful, I am not sure that he will be able to take down the Lestranges, at least not on his own. As Rowling confirmed that Neville has nothing to do with the prophesy at this point (as Harry was the one marked), I'm not certain that Neville will even survive until the end of the books. He's one character few people want to see die. He's a good guy, rather endearing. Rowling recognizes, however, that life isn't fair and bad things can and do happen to good people. I'm not sure there's anyone who isn't fair game at this point, although I really think the deaths of Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny are unlikely.

Garnie
07-10-2007, 01:04 AM
yeah but nevel has still got stuff to prove! hes gonna come out of the last book a real hero!
plus i dont think Fudge has it in him to be evil!

Araciel
07-10-2007, 01:07 AM
well she did illustrate that wands have a certain affintity for wizards and they can cause some disastrous effects if used by the wrong people....or was that just in the movie?! i don't remember

Ouch!
07-10-2007, 01:57 AM
It is true that wands are attuned to wizards, as exhibited when Harry went to Ollivander's for his wand in the first book. We know, however, that Wormtail is able to effectively wield Voldemort's wand. He casts the killing curse on Cedric with it. For anyone to use the killing curse, he has to be a powerful wizard in his own right, something that nobody seems to think Wormtail is, and I seriously doubt he put on a show of ineptitude throughout his life just so people would underestimate him. I'm not going to subscribe entirely to the whole lost day theory, but I have always believed we do not know everything about the night James and Lily were killed. Someone had to take Voldemort's wand. Somehow the Fidelius Charm had to be bypassed so anyone could even find Godric's Hollow (I doubt Hagrid was told its location by Wormtail, yet he was able to find it). We may need a more thorough description of the Fidelius Charm to understand that.

Takara
07-10-2007, 03:07 AM
My personal guess is that the final battle will take place on Privet Drive, at midnight. Since Rowling said we have to expect some surprising things from Aunt Petunia. I say Petunia, having recently started menopause and being crankier than usual, will get out of the house in her bathing robe, yell at all those filthy magic users, and shot the lot with a rifle, actually hurting Voldemort, thus allowing Harry to defeat him.

Yeah, not gonna happen, but you have to admit that would be unexpected.

Garnie
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
yes that would be!

but yor theorie brings me to think of petunia!
she knew what the dementors were in book 5? do you recon that somthing happend to petunia in her childhood to do with dementors!

Ouch!
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm willing to bet that Aunt Petunia knows a hell of a lot more about the wizarding world than she lets on just because her sister was a witch. It's not as if Lily didn't come home for the summer just as Harry does, so Aunt Petunia would have had to live with her at least part of the time for a couple years. I can't imagine she could live with her sister for about two months every year (probably more if Lily went home for Christmas break) and not pick up on certain things.

Garnie
07-11-2007, 02:48 AM
agreed! but what is soo important about patunia and why is having lillys eyes an inporatant plot point!

atlanteay
07-11-2007, 02:58 AM
JKR did say that something really important about Lily would be revealed. At least that's what i read in mugglenet..i think :sweat:

i always wondered how Wormtail is going to repay harry for sparing his life.

Ouch!
07-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Rowling has left Lily and Petunia's background vague for the entire series. We really don't know anything about Lily Potter other than superficial things. Petunia's background (at least in relation to the wizarding society) is equally unexplained. It's almost impossible to deduce what might be important about either of them in relation to Harry's quest. It could be that there are small hints throughout the series that we won't recognize the significance of until we learn what these secrets are. Then again, I recently read an old editorial on mugglenet written shortly after the fourth book which pretty much had the whole horcrux thing figured out based on the diary and one line Voldemort said when he was revived. The person even already had the Harry is a horcrux idea out there.

Harry seems to be a magnet for life debts. I believe that only Wormtail's life debt (as it is the only one specifically mentioned) will be significant, and I can't believe that it won't be paid since Dumbledore mentioned it explicitly. Three Weasleys owe Harry a life debt as well: Ginny (book 2), Arthur (book 5), and Ron (book 6). I wouldn't mind Arthur paying his debt by somehow saving Harry, but Ginny and Ron better not be called on for it.

Edit: In a recent interview, Helen Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) announced that Rowling had sent her a letter explaining that her character would be very important in the last book. Ever since her first appearance in Order of the Phoenix, Bellatrix has become a more and more important figure in Voldemort's inner circle. Harry and Neville both have a vendetta against her and she's shown to be very distrustful of Snape. I never thought that she'd be worth sending a letter to Carter when she'd be able to find out for herself in less than two weeks.

By the way, 11 days. <3

Garnie
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
oooooohhhhh! i know ;_____;!
i personally think that one of the weaslys are gonna get it! my bets on bill, charlie or arthur! maybee one of the twins./ i also think the gianets will be involved too. they may come back and help the order!

Doomie
07-11-2007, 03:16 PM
10 days. Also, this idea partly came in a dream. While JK has always said that Dumbledore is, and forever will be, dead, she has never been able to give a definitive answer to whether Sirius is actually dead. Also, I read somewhere (Possibly even in this thread, I just can't remember), that one person will sacrifice his own life to bring back someone else. That's where I believe Wormtail will repay his debt; sacrificing his own life so that he may bring Sirius back.

Araciel
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
i would have thought that the sacrifice would be to bring someone back who had more recently died, that is the sacrifice would be used as a direct and immediate response.

Ouch!
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
10 days. Also, this idea partly came in a dream. While JK has always said that Dumbledore is, and forever will be, dead, she has never been able to give a definitive answer to whether Sirius is actually dead. Also, I read somewhere (Possibly even in this thread, I just can't remember), that one person will sacrifice his own life to bring back someone else. That's where I believe Wormtail will repay his debt; sacrificing his own life so that he may bring Sirius back.
I doubt Sirius is coming back. Rowling always said that he had to die, as mentioned toward the beginning of this thread. I don't think it's just that he had to die, I think Sirius had to die by falling through the Veil. As many people are starting to believe, I, too, am absolutely convinced that the Deathly Hallows, whatever they may be, are beyond the Veil. It would help Harry a great deal to get there if he starts using the two-way mirror to speak with Sirius on the other side.

As for the sacrifice thing, I've not heard anything like it. Rowling has said that magic cannot revive the dead. She's been vehement about this, as she's said when she began to describe what magic can do, it was easier to set down what it can't do. Resurrection is the big thing she stresses cannot be done.

KH-Cloudy
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
When you say "*Atleast one character will die", I'm willing to bet it's going to be Ron just like in the first movie except he will die....atleast that's what I think, but if it does happens, it will suck very bad.

Clawsze
07-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I think Sirius will make an appearence, albeit a short one.
I have noticed a certain character has been missed out from this convosation....Tonks. She blames herself for Bellatrix for "killing" Sirius.
I cannot remember whether this was merely a rumor in the book, but I think Tonks may play a part, just a hunch. Just like my hunch that we find out that the Weasley's are infact, decendents of Godric Gryffindor.

Zante
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I decided to re-read the six first books for the bazillionth time before I read the seventh, and one thing really bugged me. In book four, when Harry is battling Voldemort, there was the Priori Incantatem. I remember Dumbledore later telling Harry that that particular effect makes the wand regurgitate its past spells in reverse order. However, when the echoes of the people Voldemort killed in the past are coming out of his wand, James comes out before Lily, which would mean that Lily was the first to be killed, contrary to what the first six books have been describing.

Rowling admitted that to be a mistake on her part, I believe they even corrected that in the later releases.

Araciel
07-11-2007, 06:45 PM
so you mean she didn't know her own story?~?~?~?

Clawsze
07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
so you mean she didn't know her own story?~?~?~?

Scary.

Zante
07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
On page 697, US hardcover edition (Scholastic), Dumbledore states, "If, however, the owners of the wands force the wands to do battle... a very rare effect will take place. One of the wands will force the other to regurgitate spells it has performed - in reverse. The most recent first. . . and then those which preceded it. . . .". The series has maintained that James Potter was murdered before Lily. Therefore, logically, Lily, the more recently killed of the two, should emerge from Voldemort's wand before James during the Priori Incantatem scene. However, in the original edition of the book, James Potter comes out first, and says, "Hold on, your mother is coming and wants to see you." Rowling had originally written that Lily emerged from the wand first, however, her American editor, in the rush to edit the book, incorrectly pointed this out as an error, and Rowling "changed it without thinking."[1] Subsequent editions of the book corrected the mistake, and Rowling's original order (Lily appearing before James) stands as canon.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Goblet_of_Fire#Points_of_Interest)

Ouch!
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
When you say "*Atleast one character will die", I'm willing to bet it's going to be Ron just like in the first movie except he will die....atleast that's what I think, but if it does happens, it will suck very bad.
At the very least, three people will die at this point. Rowling undoubtedly meant to kill off at least one character, but since then she has announced that another two she never meant to die will die.

Garnie
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
its gonna be a bloodbath aperently!!
allso i agree that tonks probally will have a part to play! possiblly avenging the daeth for her couisen or maybe evenr her new found love!

Ouch!
07-11-2007, 11:26 PM
If Tonks gets Bellatrix over Neville, I will be very, very disappointed. Nobody has more of a right to challenge Bellatrix than Neville.

I do hope that Remus gets a happy ending with Tonks, though.

CloudDragon
07-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Adding more evidence to the Snape is good theory. I believe he heard the WHOLE prophecy, yet he only told the first part of the prophecy to Voldy. Therefore Voldy went out and marked Harry, fulfilling the first part of the prophecy and thus creating his greatest nemesis in the process. Everyone else has already mentioned the rest of the evidence backing up the Snape is good theory, so I won't even add that.

Harry being a horcrux makes too much sense. Just because he is a horcrux does not mean he has to die. If a part of Voldemort's soul is a part of him, and the scar could be the physical manifestation of that, it doesn't mean his soul has taken over him. Remember the scene where Dumbledore produces a snake out of a puff of smoke and mutters, "In essence divided?" or something along the lines of that with a gleam of triumph in his eyes? Harry may have a part of Voldy's soul but he still has the ability to love. Also, destroying a horcrux does not necessarily destroy the entire object. The object may become damaged but not utterly destroyed.

Let's also take a back track to Book 3, The Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm not going to buy that the reason the Dementors went after Harry and tried to suck his soul out then was because he had much horror and drama in his past life. They went after him because he had a part of Voldy's soul inside him. Also think back to the comment Rowling made about Cuaron unknowingly and unintentionally putting things in the movie that greatly foreshadowed events in the last two books. Could this have related to the dementors?

Eiko Guy
07-12-2007, 07:11 AM
I hate snape with every fiber of my being but I am almost sure he is good. I want to believe he is evil I just have a hunch that Dumbledore knew he was going to die since book six began. The arguement with snape was probably that Snape couldn't kill him but Dumbledore wouldn't allow it.

Book 7 has taken all my hype from the 5th movie.

blackmage_nuke
07-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I hope hermione kills voldemort and becomes head of hogwarts or minister of magic or something

Garnie
07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
lol Hermione fan boy!
its like i said dumblydoor isnt stoopid! he knew his death was gonna happen. he knew even befor the mission to the cave. the only thing we cant be sure about is why he had to die

EDIT: ok just seen the film loved it!
but i noticed theres spoilers there for the hallows.
you actully saw alberforth in the hogs head with a goat lol!
so now im damn sure its alberforth in the hallows

Araciel
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I hate snape with every fiber of my being but I am almost sure he is good. I want to believe he is evil I just have a hunch that Dumbledore knew he was going to die since book six began. The arguement with snape was probably that Snape couldn't kill him but Dumbledore wouldn't allow it.

Book 7 has taken all my hype from the 5th movie.

you hate him even after the hogwarts memory?!

ah well.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-13-2007, 12:21 AM
lol Hermione fan boy!
its like i said dumblydoor isnt stoopid! he knew his death was gonna happen. he knew even befor the mission to the cave. the only thing we cant be sure about is why he had to die

EDIT: ok just seen the film loved it!
but i noticed theres spoilers there for the hallows.
you actully saw alberforth in the hogs head with a goat lol!
so now im damn sure its alberforth in the hallows

Thats funny because I too thought that was Alfberforth when they went to the Hogs Head scene.

Araciel
07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
and in nine days you'll find out..

Garnie
07-13-2007, 01:31 AM
its 8 days!

you know they could have not actully spoiled that aswell! if HPANA wasnt advertising the pic as alberforth none of us would have realised its him!

Ouch!
07-13-2007, 11:10 PM
I still believe that the fifth movie did a horrible portrayal of Aberforth. He doesn't look anywhere near enough like Dumbledore.

I'm actually scared now. Rowling has announced that some people will "absolutely loathe" the seventh book. For some people to love it, she says, others must loathe it. I'm going to assume this refers to deaths, and I'm rapidly losing my steadfast belief that Harry, Ron, and Hermione will all make it out alive.

f f freak
07-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I really want Harry to die for one reason, I HATE Daniel Radcliffe. I want Harry to die then for them to make the 7th film so I can see Daniel Radcliffe die. I thought that Rupert Grint and Emma Watson portrayed their characters perfectly but Daniel Radcliffe just annoyed every bone in my body. I think that Luna should kill Voldemort. She'd bore him to death with all that crap she comes up with from her dad's magazine or whatever the hell it was.
/end rant.

Garnie
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
7 days from now and ill be reading that book!
woohooooo!

f f freak
07-14-2007, 01:00 AM
7 days from now and ill be reading that book!
woohooooo!

Me Too!! (Hopefully, fingers crossed)

Garnie
07-14-2007, 01:09 AM
i went to a site the other day !
its a petition to ask jk to keep writing more hp books!
do you think its right?
iv signed though!
Save Harry! (http://www.saveharrypotter.co.uk/)

Brennan
07-14-2007, 01:14 AM
7 days... 7days... wow time really does fly by

Psychotic
07-14-2007, 01:25 AM
do you think its right?Only if Voldemort is alive at the end of the Deathly Hallows, and I sincerely doubt that he will be.

Araciel
07-14-2007, 01:41 AM
i WILL NOT save harry :P

rubah
07-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Only if Harry is alive at the end of the Deathly Hallows, and I sincerely doubt that he will be.

Rye
07-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Someone had the craziest idea of an event that they predict might happen in DH and the more I think of it, the more I think JK Rowling might do it. It's so horrible. They think that Harry will face his parents as Inferi. D:

Ouch!
07-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Harry has had enough crap happen to him in his life. If he's going to end up dying in this book, he doesn't need something so terrible to happen to him. He's already got the short end of the stick.

Garnie
07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Someone had the craziest idea of an event that they predict might happen in DH and the more I think of it, the more I think JK Rowling might do it. It's so horrible. They think that Harry will face his parents as Inferi. D:

you know that could happen. the books do get darker further you go on in the book, whos say they wouldent! tho it would be genully morbid and i dont think jk would do it.

WepKey
07-14-2007, 08:02 PM
i don't know what to say abut these book! Harry potter wuld die to vuldemurt becus of the philospers stone right??? not likely that vuldemurt will live becus of jk ruwling and how everey won wunts him to die at deadly hullows. i think that harry must kill his frends in a death mach to kill vuldemurt. also snape will kill harry instad of vuldemurt becus he hates harry so much. it makes sence to put him down down with a wond, you know??????

Kirobaito
07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
That. Would. Be. Sick.

I love it.

rubah
07-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I kinda doubt that. I can't imagine it being easy to go from being so good to so evil.

Fonzie
07-14-2007, 08:30 PM

I love plot twists like those. That'd be very interesting if it were to happen.

Garnie
07-14-2007, 08:41 PM
yes i agree it would be.and it would be a great story plot.
it would also fit in to the important thing about having lillys eyes. maybee it would save harry last minute

~*~Celes~*~
07-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I think that Ron and Hermoine will end up together. Then, they're with Harry at the final battle, and just when Voldemort is about to cast (can't think of the name of it right now, the one Lord V used to almost kill Harry in the beginning when he was a baby) on Harry, one of them jumps in the way to save him, and because they're in love, the other jumps in the way as well, sparing Harry's life completely. His anger goes past boiling point and he kills Lord V. That's my theory ^_^

f f freak
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I reckon Harry will get gangraped by the Weasleys. Draco'll join in. Voldemort films it and then puts it on the net. Hermione gets mad and goes crazy and kills everyone using her Jedi powers :D

Chaosfan84
07-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I reckon Harry will get gangraped by the Weasleys. Draco'll join in. Voldemort films it and then puts it on the net. Hermione gets mad and goes crazy and kills everyone using her Jedi powers
right you go get some sleep :sweat:

My personal opion is that in the final book, Ron and Hermione definatly will get together, Harry will survie the last battle and get back with Ginny, but either one of the durslys or Neville will kill Voldemort during his :plotting: speech, Sirus contact H.P by 2-way mirror and DumbleDore comes back in portait, Draco killed by L.Vold. , Snape dies by Order, Lupin and Tonks get married, H.P's parents become Harry's new Protonus (like Lupins changed Tonks in H-B P)

f f freak
07-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I reckon Harry will get gangraped by the Weasleys. Draco'll join in. Voldemort films it and then puts it on the net. Hermione gets mad and goes crazy and kills everyone using her Jedi powers

My personal opion is that in the final book, Ron and Hermione definatly will get together, Harry will survie the last battle and get back with Ginny, but either one of the durslys or Neville will kill Voldemort during his :plotting: speech, Sirus contact H.P by 2-way mirror and DumbleDore comes back in portait, Draco killed by L.Vold. , Snape dies by Order, Lupin and Tonks get married, H.P's parents become Harry's new Protonus (like Lupins changed Tonks in H-B P)

I need no sleep. My idea is just as possible as the next. Therefore I win.

Garnie
07-14-2007, 10:44 PM

as much as i enjoy the genrel jokes people flyaround please can you not make such rude comments!
thanx

Psychotic
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Someone had the craziest idea of an event that they predict might happen in DH and the more I think of it, the more I think JK Rowling might do it. It's so horrible. They think that Harry will face his parents as Inferi. D:Yes please! It won't happen, no way would it, but it would be great.

Tomorrow I embark on a grand quest to read the entire series in a week - one book a day.

Does anyone know how long the Deathly Hallows will be?

f f freak
07-15-2007, 01:01 AM

as much as i enjoy the genrel jokes people flyaround please can you not make such rude comments!
thanx

Tis not rude. Tis the truth. Plus that would be funny.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-15-2007, 01:07 AM

That would be interesting... :D

Does anyone know how long the Deathly Hallows will be?

I'd say it'd be pretty long all right. It could well be the longest of the books since there are so many loose ends to tie up.

Doomie
07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Well, after a crazy week, I read all six books, finishing the sixth about half an hour ago. I needed a full, magical, seven days before reading this seventh book. I was actually thinking Harry would face his parents as Inferi (A couple hours ago before I read the thread). It sounds super cool. I also would post some more stuff now, but then I'd have to come back to this thread to see what people thought. I don't want to because there is so much intentional misspelling that it's giving me a headache. :P

rubah
07-15-2007, 02:28 AM
I don't think it's going to be longer than ootp.

I finished reading PoA (and found out I still love it) so I figure I'll reread Half Blood Prince just to get back into the mindset of later in the series.

Rereading poa was so cute though, because harry hadn't really started to grow up, and he was still a little kid and it was so cute!

Kirobaito
07-15-2007, 05:13 AM
The length of the UK version has not yet been confirmed, but the US version is 784 pages, putting it in between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. Some reports have the UK version at 608 pages.

Garnie
07-15-2007, 11:23 AM
6 days to go!
im markig my mission to read the hallows in a day and a half. put it this way,,im not going to sleep untill its finished

Rye
07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I just reread HBP. There was a line that struck me odd. Harry was talking about how Dumbledore explained the prophecy and how it made the difference between him being "dragged into the arena" and walking into the arena with his head held high. Now, the first time I read that, I figured it to be just a metaphor, but in the US Cover Art, it looks like they ARE in an area. Funny, huh? I wonder if that was a little hint at the final battle place.

Garnie
07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
i think the final battle will be at hogwarts.
anyway i was just on mugglenet and they found this sniooet. appaernyly its the first paragrapth to the deathly hallows!
im nit sure if its real but ill put a spoiler tag on it anyway'Chapter One. The Dark Lord Ascending. The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane. For a second they stood quite still, wands pointing at each other's chests: then, recognising each other, they stowed their wands beneath their cloaks and set off, side by side, in the same direction.

"News?", asked the taller of the two.

"The best," replied Snape

Heath
07-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I just reread HBP. There was a line that struck me odd. Harry was talking about how Dumbledore explained the prophecy and how it made the difference between him being "dragged into the arena" and walking into the arena with his head held high. Now, the first time I read that, I figured it to be just a metaphor, but in the US Cover Art, it looks like they ARE in an area. Funny, huh? I wonder if that was a little hint at the final battle place.

Might just be a coincidence, but then again Rowling seems to love foreshadowing so you may well be onto something.

Clawsze
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
OMG, the Headmaster Portraits!
Dumbledore will help Harry, he will give advise through the Paintings!

Eiko Guy
07-15-2007, 03:18 PM
If that is the first pragraph i am so ready for someone to murder snape.

Garnie
07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah i agree on that

Ouch!
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I saw the same thing on Mugglenet, and I totally refuse to read it.

As for the location of the final battle, I too believe that the arena featured on the cover of the Deathly Hallows is the battleground for Harry and Voldemort. I am also entirely convinced that said location lies beyond the Veil.

Garnie
07-15-2007, 10:06 PM
im convinced that the hallows lie beyond the veil too!
also that snopet from the hallows doesnt let on anything important it has no clues in it what so ever.

Comet
07-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, the 7th Harry Potter book was leaked, onto a site, and I ended up reading everything, about who dies, and who kills who. I know what the deathly hallows are, and who R.A.B is. If anyone wants the link (I hope you don't) PM me.

Edit: It is not a fake, it has pictures of snippets in the book, including the chapter names, and the first chapter is the same as the one that JK Rowling stated.

The Dark Lord Ascending

atlanteay
07-16-2007, 04:58 AM
yeah! that's what i've been thinking. Dumbledore isn't really gone if his portrait is still there to help. Actually, i never understood how paintings came to be. I know the paths of death they get to choose, which is either being a ghost or move on.

Clawsze
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
yeah! that's what i've been thinking. Dumbledore isn't really gone if his portrait is still there to help. Actually, i never understood how paintings came to be. I know the paths of death they get to choose, which is either being a ghost or move on.

No, if you remember in the 6th, it says Harry looks at Dumbledors Painting.....I think....

Garnie
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
major leakige! to the utter horrer of myself iv accidently read a horrible spoiler saying that 2 people have died!
i wont say what or who because now im soooo tempted to see that site comet was talking about......
DAMN YOU E- SPOILERS!!!
OH ONLY 5 DAYS TOGO!!

Psychotic
07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I've heard spoilers of four people dying and while I can find a couple of them very believable, the other two are a bit dodgy. That's the internet for you, and I daresay I'll have more pushed in my face before the 21st!

Doomie
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I am so damn tempted to go and check out some of those sites because I'm itching to find out. But then again, I don't want it all spoiled like when I found out Dumbledore died before actually reading HBP. Oh man oh man I can't wait that long.

Comet
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
It is not recommended to see that site! LOL! I ruined it for myself, and I wouldn't like anybody elses fun to get ruined...

Only 4 days! ;)

Garnie
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
im an ASA member and hold true to the books........
BUT I WANNA READ IT SOOO MUCH!!!
cant google!.....Wont Google.......musnt Google
^^;

Zante
07-16-2007, 08:28 PM
I read the spoilers that are floating around, but they don't really sound that believable to me.

Brennan
07-16-2007, 08:32 PM
If you google and find out, then you'll feel your own wrath!
Cool!

Miriel
07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I think it would have been pretty amazing if the whole HP crew had managed to release the book without spoilers leaking. But I guess in today's world it's really not possible no matter how hard they try. I dunno, it just would've been cool if they could have pulled it off.

I normally LOVE spoilers. There are times when during a commercial break, I'll go online and find out what happens in the show that I'm watching at that moment.

But I'm keeping myself spoiler free for this book. It's going to be delicious.

Garnie
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
the temptation is killllling me!!!!!!!

Araciel
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
no way will i look at anything 'official', it is fun, however, to see what people are speculating and how much energy they put into rationalizing it all.

Zante
07-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Whats the deal? You can't know if those spoilers are really true untill the book comes out anyways.

Garnie
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
thats true.....*temptation riseing*

atlanteay
07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
i read some spoilers of which two people are going to die...but i hope it isn't true :(

Old Manus
07-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Four chan just gave me the entire book in picture format. Investigating to see if it's fake.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok, well, I was gonna wait until Friday night before I left home to go get HP and the Deathly Hallows, but now that everything has leaked online, this will be my last activity until I have completely read the book. It is very tempting to go see what happens, and I have a bad habit of spoiling things for myself. So, in order to keep this from happening, I am going to get off line and not come back on until I finish reading the book in order to keep it a surprise. I was going to post my theory when I made the thread Friday night, and for those of you who already know what happens, this theory is probably way wrong but here it is and maybe I am correct on atleast one area. Enjoy and I will see you guys later. Damn you to hell whomever released the info on the web, damn you:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

My HP and the Deathly Hallows Theory

I believe that in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, good will prevail over evil. I believe that Harry, Hermione and Ron will indeed make a return to Hogwarts but it will be short lived. Harry will set off from school to search for the remaining horcruxes and we will discover that he himself is not one. Harry will not find the rest because I do believe that R.A.B. has destroyed the others. Proffesor McGonagal will become the new Headmaster of Hogwarts for the next several years.

We will also find out that Dumbledore death was set up. Snape will actually turn out to be a good guy and killed Dumbledore upon HIS REQUEST. Dumbledore knew that if Malfoy was to kill Harry, that he would be turned to the dark side for the rest of his life. Well, Dumbledore wouldn't want that for any of his students and everyone knows that Malfoy had alot of hesitation about killing someone and didn't know whether that was what he wanted. I also think that Dumbledore is actually one of Voldemorts horcruxes and knew that he must die in order for Voldemort to be destroyed, so he took one for the team. Why else would Dumbledore be the one person that Voldemort didn't even try to ]take on and was afraid of? Also, with Voldemort being back and knowing the fact that Snape used to be dark, he knew that if he let Snape kill him, it would make Snape look like he is wanting to go back to Voldemort, therefore giving a spy on the inside.

Knowing of the possibility and very good chance of Harry being defeated, so keeping it very quiet and secret, Harry will decide to split his soul and only giving the where abouts of his own horcruxes to Ron and Hermione, and will prepare for his final fight with Voldemort. In the preparation for the final battle, Harry will get help from Dumbledore' Army and they will have a big part of the resolution of the Harry Potter series.

Im not really sure where the final battle should take place. During the battle, Harry will reveal that he knows of the Horcruxes and that they all have been destroyed, with the exception of one, which I believe will be used in the final battle. I believe that Harry alone can't defeat the powers of Voldemort, but the D.A. will help him along with the help of Draco Malfoy! Yes, Malfoy will go against his expectations to try and help Harry destroy Voldemort but Draco will be killed by Voldemort. Eventually, they will destroy the horcrux and Voldemort will be defeated.

Here is my own epilogue that I believe will happen after the story ends and what will happen with all the characters:

Ron and Hermione will get married
Harry and Ginny will date again and will sometime get married.
Neville will die in some kind of freak show accident (just because thats his luck)
Harry will one day turn out to be the Headmaster of Hogwarts.
Hermione will too return to Hogwarts as a teacher.
Ron will play proffesional Quidditch.
Dumbledore will return to Hogwarts in the form of a ghost
Aunt Petunia turns out to be a witch, although in denial.
Dudley and Vernon turn out to be the fat slobs they are and never change.

Araciel
07-16-2007, 10:58 PM
apparently someone hacked into the publisher's website and got the book early....but who knows.

anyway the worst spoilers i see are ideas people have shared here on what they think will happen.

Ouch!
07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Hermione is really a man. That's the big secret. Steven Colbert said so.

Seriously, though, I'm so psyched. I'm heading over to Cedar Point in Ohio with some friends on the 19th just to keep my mind off of it. xD

Old Manus
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
tl;dr

also, original thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/107170-deathly-hallows-mark-spoilers.html)

Ouch!
07-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Your epilogue is ridiculously optimistic.

Fonzie
07-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Go to 4chan, it's safe.

Doomie
07-17-2007, 03:31 AM
It is from Tuesday, however, when copies begin to be sent out to retailers, that the most crucial part of the security operation will come into effect.

The trucks Bloomsbury will use are fitted with satellite tracking systems costing up to £1,000 pounds, which will reveal whether any of the vehicles deviate from their intended route. The books are on sealed pallets fitted with alarms to prevent tampering.

A spokesman for Bloomsbury said: “we have a litigation specialist poised 24 hours a day, seven days a week to deal with any breaches. It is our intention to enforce the embargo vigorously and seek an immediate injunction if required.” While experts put the cost of all this at £10 million, the lengths to which publishers have gone are not surprising.

Considering there is such tight security when it comes to this book, I doubt anything really important was leaked. As for someone having a copy of the book and posting it on the internet, the publishers have all copies and are only transporting it to retailers on Tuesday, meaning NO ONE can possibly have a copy. Don't believe the spoilers. I typed Harry Potter Spoilers on google, and the first three links gave me three different endings.

Takara
07-17-2007, 03:38 AM
I typed Harry Potter Spoilers on google, and the first three links gave me three different endings.

That's what amuses me about the internet. Someone can post something made up at 100% and there are people who are bound to believe it to be "THE TRUTH", without checking other sources.

Kirobaito
07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
It is from Tuesday, however, when copies begin to be sent out to retailers, that the most crucial part of the security operation will come into effect.

The trucks Bloomsbury will use are fitted with satellite tracking systems costing up to £1,000 pounds, which will reveal whether any of the vehicles deviate from their intended route. The books are on sealed pallets fitted with alarms to prevent tampering.

A spokesman for Bloomsbury said: “we have a litigation specialist poised 24 hours a day, seven days a week to deal with any breaches. It is our intention to enforce the embargo vigorously and seek an immediate injunction if required.” While experts put the cost of all this at £10 million, the lengths to which publishers have gone are not surprising.

Considering there is such tight security when it comes to this book, I doubt anything really important was leaked. As for someone having a copy of the book and posting it on the internet, the publishers have all copies and are only transporting it to retailers on Tuesday, meaning NO ONE can possibly have a copy. Don't believe the spoilers. I typed Harry Potter Spoilers on google, and the first three links gave me three different endings.
WHY OH WHY WOULD YOU TYPE THAT INTO GOOGLE? DO YOU HAVE NO SHAME?

Doomie
07-17-2007, 03:52 AM
I typed that because I knew I would get nothing but hogwash when I did, and was trying to prove a point. Don't get your panties in a bunch, KB.

Ouch!
07-17-2007, 04:53 AM
It isn't that someone got a physical copy of the book. A while back there were reports that Bloomsbury (Schoolastic? One of the blasted publishers) got hacked and someone stole an electronic copy of the text, in which case I completely disregard claims about scans of the novel.

That said, mugglenet also reported the following:
"It has emerged that some book stores in the UK are not required to keep a written agreement preventing them from selling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows before its release next Friday.

'It's quite possible one will break the embargo,' says Katherine Rushton from The Bookseller magazine. 'They'd do it to be first, and for all the PR.'

Bloomsbury replied saying that there is 'no reason to believe anyone would want to ruin the excitement. If such a thing were to happen, we believe that the public would make their feelings known by not buying it from such a spoilsport retailer. [However] it is our intention to vigorously enforce the embargo if required.' "

So, I guess it's a possibility, although I'm sure news of such a thing happening would have made it out.

Garnie
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
OKIE PEOPLE BE WARNED!!
some one called durk_345 has been emailing printed scans of DH! and sending the to random people with IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS!!!
if you get sent an email with the words! CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON A REAL SIGNED COPY OF THE DEATHLY HALLOWS basiclly its just a fake email with a attachment of spoilers! unfortunatly i have been sent one and opened like a fool and now the book is totally been ruined for me. these are also real spoiled pages of a leak from the americain copy too! please! i dont want it to be ruined for you too
DONT OPEN THAT EMAIL IF YOU GET IT!!

Rengori
07-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Go to 4chan, it's safe.

For perverts.

Bunny
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Go to 4chan, it's safe.

That is where he got his final synopsis. Considering the fact that everything listed was listed, in more or less the same detail, in /b/ last night by someone posting pictures of actual pages from the book.

Cookie
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
OKIE PEOPLE BE WARNED!!
some one called durk_345 has been emailing printed scans of DH! and sending the to random people with IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS!!!
if you get sent an email with the words! CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON A REAL SIGNED COPY OF THE DEATHLY HALLOWS basiclly its just a fake email with a attachment of spoilers! unfortunatly i have been sent one and opened like a fool and now the book is totally been ruined for me. these are also real spoiled pages of a leak from the americain copy too! please! i dont want it to be ruined for you too
DONT OPEN THAT EMAIL IF YOU GET IT!!

Seriously though, they're not real spoilers.

Zante
07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
What he said... I am a sucker for spoilers, so I always look em up for things like this. So far, I have read about every single character dying at least once, as well as some ridiculous stuff like Harry going berserk and killing everyone. Of course, all of the sources claimed that they were totally true.

And even if they were true, so what? Personally, I have read all of the books at least twice. Despite of knowing how it will end, they were just as good as they were the first time I read them.

scrumpleberry
07-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm too much into manic hyper potter mode to do much theorising, but I think Neville will either kill Bella or Voldie, but not both.

And that Harry's eyes are carrying his mother's soul...or something of that sort.

And something disastrously horrible will happen at Bill + Fleur's wedding.

And there will be a beautiful romance between Sirius's bike and the Flying Ford Anglia (tm)

I don't think Malf jr. will reform, but he will either be killed and pitied forever, or flee possibly with Pansy and live somewhere in Eastern Europe, slowly becoming less of an annoying snob. And Mrs. Malf and Malf Sr. will probably die.

And Voldemort is actually Tonks metamorph'd. :kaoplain:

Dunno if my theories deserved spoiler tags, but whatev.

Heath
07-17-2007, 03:54 PM
From what I understand, didn't 4chan have photos of every single page of the book? As in, not scans, but digital camera photos? I know that a 4channer friend of mine were jokingly discussing ways in which to spoil it for people with me last night (Skywriting over London and setting someone reading spoilers as his ringtone were my personal contributions). I've seen the first page of these photos (merely the title page of the book itself), but for obvious reasons I've declined to look at any others.

Doomie
07-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I remember finding out Dumbledore died before reading the sixth book, and was still completely surprised when I read it, as if I had completely forgotten. People, THERE WAS NO HACKER. There was nothing to hack into that contained the book. The retailers have just received the books. The spoilers are fake. The scans are fake. Anyone with minimal intelligence on how to use Photoshop can make authentic-looking pages.

Also, the "legitimate" torrent that featured an advanced copy of the book was also fake. In fact, all fake spoilers that WERE featured as links on google have been deleted. Go figure, eh?

Eiko Guy
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm surprised noone's has decided to just shoot voldermort in the head. Yes it's anticlimactic but it gets the job done.

Zante
07-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Didn't they at one point say that muggle devices don't work in Hogwards? In that case, wizards should be able to disable guns if needed too.

McLovin'
07-17-2007, 06:21 PM
It comes out on the 21st though...

Bunny
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes because nothing has ever been released early or "fallen off the back of the trucK". No sirree.

demondude
07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I really can't see Ron and Hermione getting married.

Besides how many harry potter threads do we need. :p

Doomie
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Everyone seems to believe that these spoilers are real. Wow people, get a grip.

Psychotic
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, in order to split his soul and make a horcrux, Harry would have to, y'know, kill someone. And in order to make several he'd have to kill several people. Seeing as how he refused to even let Lupin and Sirius kill Wormtail, it's not like he's going to go around offing people himself just to make horcruxes, is it?

Also, this thread (Spawn of Sephiroth's theory thread) has now been merged with the original TDH thread.

Ouch!
07-17-2007, 09:58 PM
"The LA Times is reporting that the US Harry Potter publisher obtained a subpoena to learn the identity of a user who allegedly posted copies of Deathly Hallows on a California website.

Scholastic said in a court filing Monday that "materials hosted on Photobucket.com's system" contain materials that infringe copyrights owned by Scholastic and J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books. Photobucket.com, a News Corp. unit, is a website for sharing photos and videos on social networks such as MySpace.

The subpoena was sent to Gaia Interactive Inc. in San Jose seeking the identity of a user on gaiaonline.com, a social network, according to the filing in San Francisco federal court.

Gaia complied with the subpoena, removed the material and temporarily banned the user from the site, said Gaia spokesman Bill Danon."
Source: mugglenet (http://mugglenet.com/)

Uh oh. =P

Old Manus
07-17-2007, 10:44 PM
So what I have here isn't fake?

Ouch!
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Depends which one you have, I guess. I'm not going to sacrifice the mystery for myself just to verify it. We'll find out in a couple days.

rubah
07-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Time to put the blinders on!

Garnie
07-18-2007, 04:17 AM
im not letting on to much but what i read in that email has defently made me belive in no shadow of a doubt that it was authentic. there are 2 circling the net. a fan fiction and the real copie.
to differetiate between the 2 are the 1st chapeter names.
ill add a spoiler tag for those of you that wernt as weak as me.....please dont judge me ;____;
the 1st chapeter of the REALBOOK IS CALLED tHE DARK LORD ASSENDING
the fakes 1st chapter is called The escape.

im weak and feeble and impatient! i dont deserve to be called a potter fan! but for the rest of you that were as weak as me I IMPLORE YOU! PLEASE!! dont open an email claiming you have recieved a free signed copie of the book! AND PLEEEAASSSSEEEE! dont spoil it for others!
EDIT: infact id think it was probably in eveyones best intrested(espeacialy those of the fans of the book) that the thread was closed untill after a week of publication! i say this because the book was ruined for me and im soo utterly annoyed with it i dont want others who love HP as much as i to get the book ruined! theres allways somone out there that would think it would be highly amussing to post horrid spoilers! so if theres an admin there reading this could you close it because i dont know how to yet!
hope you enjoy the book guys!

Zante
07-18-2007, 07:47 AM
So the spoilers seem to be legit after all? Could someone PM me a link?

Clawsze
07-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I've seen somewhere that JKR wrote 3 different endings, deciding that the original was best...

Kirobaito
07-18-2007, 08:28 PM
im not letting on to much but what i read in that email has defently made me belive in no shadow of a doubt that it was authentic. there are 2 circling the net. a fan fiction and the real copie.
to differetiate between the 2 are the 1st chapeter names.
ill add a spoiler tag for those of you that wernt as weak as me.....please dont judge me ;____;
the 1st chapeter of the REALBOOK IS CALLED tHE DARK LORD ASSENDING
the fakes 1st chapter is called The escape.

im weak and feeble and impatient! i dont deserve to be called a potter fan! but for the rest of you that were as weak as me I IMPLORE YOU! PLEASE!! dont open an email claiming you have recieved a free signed copie of the book! AND PLEEEAASSSSEEEE! dont spoil it for others!
EDIT: infact id think it was probably in eveyones best intrested(espeacialy those of the fans of the book) that the thread was closed untill after a week of publication! i say this because the book was ruined for me and im soo utterly annoyed with it i dont want others who love HP as much as i to get the book ruined! theres allways somone out there that would think it would be highly amussing to post horrid spoilers! so if theres an admin there reading this could you close it because i dont know how to yet!
hope you enjoy the book guys!
I certainly wouldn't think a week would be necessary. I'll be done with the book by Saturday, as will a lot of people, I'm sure.

charliepanayi
07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I won't be, I'm not about to finish the damn book in one day. I usually spend a week or two on reading the last few when they came out, and hopefully I'll do the same here. I prefer to take my time over it, even if that increases my chance of catching a spoiler in the meantime.

Ouch!
07-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I head off for Cedar Point tomorrow, and then I'll be heading over to Barnes and Noble shortly after I get back on Friday. I've already decided that I'm not going to sleep until I finish the book. ^_^

Fonzie
07-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I head off for Cedar Point tomorrow, and then I'll be heading over to Barnes and Noble shortly after I get back on Friday. I've already decided that I'm not going to sleep until I finish the book. ^_^

I'll probably do the same, but reread it a second time slower to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Garnie
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
so will i allthough iv already read it.
but i still advise that the thread should be closed. because someone less thoughtfull then myself who WILL NOT ruin it for you, will.

Doomie
07-19-2007, 03:50 AM
JK admitted that ONE page as well as the chapter names was seen photocopied on the net. I'm sure that she is watching this whole ordeal more than anyone else, and would notify people if her entire book was leaked on the net. She said nothing about a full book being leaked, nor did she say anything "anonymous" e-mails or anything of the sort. Don't believe everything you see. It's the INTERNET.

Old Manus
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
JK admitted that ONE page as well as the chapter names was seen photocopied on the net. I'm sure that she is watching this whole ordeal more than anyone else, and would notify people if her entire book was leaked on the net. She said nothing about a full book being leaked, nor did she say anything "anonymous" e-mails or anything of the sort. Don't believe everything you see. It's the INTERNET.Does this mean JK is a /b/tard? :mog:

Garnie
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM
yeah be shes not going to admit it tho is she that the books been leaked!
im still going to get the book on fri night but i wont say i told you so when you see it for your self

its officail!
ther supposed photo taken pages of the deathly hallows are in fact AUTHENTIC! please read this snippet from Chiff.com

We've had a look at the pictures of the book held on a rug by someone's hands. There is the possibility that some bookseller or clerk in a big book store got a hold of a copy and without being discovered took more than 300 pictures of the book - if so - this is the real deal and a few characters don't make it through. If you want to spend the time reading a bad copy of photos of pages from the book and spoil the fun instead of waiting for what you know is the real thing... you can find the photos and download them. If you do - please hold comments until after the book is released so you don't spoil it for the rest of us...

to read more heres the link.
Chiff.com (http://www.chiff.com/a/harry-potter-book-7-spoilers.htm)

Psychotic
07-20-2007, 02:37 AM
If Dumbledore's past is going to become important, who would know it better than his own brother? Also, one must remember that it's possible that Aberforth has a good idea about the prophesy. Trelawny's account of the night of her interview reveals that it took place at the Hogs Head and the one who caught Snape outside of the room was the barman.Or perhaps Aberforth's involvement could be something to do with Mundungus selling him some of the Black family treasures that he had swiped from Grimmauld place. I'm sure you can all see where this is going (R.A.B. horcrux locket blah blah blah!) :excited:

Doomie
07-20-2007, 02:58 AM
1. That article from Chiff.com doesn't say the photos are authentic. It merely states that if it is true that someone received a copy before the release date, they could be real. I also read a few of the pages, and there's something weird about the way they're written. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

2. I don't think Aberforth has anything to do with buying the stolen goods from Mundungus, but rather something to do with guarding Harry. Maybe Mundungus was filling him in on something? I still think the locket is at Grimmauld Place. It would be a reason for Harry to return there.

Psychotic
07-20-2007, 03:06 AM
Oh, Doomie, sweetie, while I have you here, the Order of the Phoenix specifies Terry Boot as being male. Check out the first DA meeting at the Hog's Head.

Mind you, it still isn't explained how Dennis Creevey attends said meeting, given that he is a second year and it is stated in PoA that Hogsmeade trips are for third years only. PERHAPS DENNIS CREEVEY IS A DARK WIZARD! :eek:

On a similar theme, I would like to hear all about Dumbledore's defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945. The year makes me think Grindelwald = Hitler. :D

Doomie
07-20-2007, 03:12 AM
I never noticed the Dennis Creevey thing. Amazing. And I already wondered what the wizard version of WWII would have been, and if there were evil wizards, and then remembered Grindlewald. This also makes me think that Dumbledore = Churchill.

Brennan
07-20-2007, 03:16 AM
I might get this book tomorrow at 6-8 :)

Fonzie
07-20-2007, 03:35 AM
I might get this book tomorrow at 6-8 :)

YOU LIE!

P.S. Where do you live? Because I'm coming over if its close.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-20-2007, 03:46 AM

I'll probably do the same, but reread it a second time slower to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

I will be getting mine at midnight, though I am wondering if I can manage to finish it before my shift at 9am the next day. I also have a friend's birthday party to go to that night. x-x

Rocket Edge
07-20-2007, 03:47 AM
Grindelwald = Hitler. :D
There is actually evidence that it was about Hitler (or something). Aparently while the Muggle World were fighting a war, so were the Wizarding World. Also, I think that the name has a meaning behind that too.

Doomie
07-20-2007, 03:57 AM
I feel Caractacus Burke will have an important role to play. A very important role indeed.

rubah
07-20-2007, 04:15 AM
dennis creevy might not be evil, but according to this fanfic, his older brother is! Schnoogle - An Unlikely Coven (Chapter 07) (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/aliciasue/AUC07.html)

Psychotic
07-20-2007, 04:24 AM
Grindelwald = Hitler. :D
There is actually evidence that it was about Hitler (or something). Aparently while the Muggle World were fighting a war, so were the Wizarding World. Also, I think that the name has a meaning behind that too.Haha yeah, I googled it to see whether me or Doomie had the right spelling (he does) and I found a bit about him on wikipedia, and was amused to find that my random bit of silliness was correct. And apparently he might just feature in TDH!

The one thing I like most about Rowling's work is characters and the like being mentioned in passing in earlier books, and then that being expanded on later on, and whenever you re-read the earlier ones you're like "Ohhhhh!".

Now to balance it out, the thing I loathe most about her work is her maddening repetition of words and phrases. Christ, how many times has Neville been described as round-faced, or Snape having a hooked nose? Yes, Uncle Vernon turns puce, and yes, Sirius has a bark-like laugh. Ernie Macmillan is pompous (but Harry likes him anyway) and...well I could go on like this.

The worst culprit of all is her insane use of "beamed" or "beaming". It's like she's had a bet with someone to see how many times she can use it! In fact, let's have an EoFF pool on how many times those words will appear in TDH. I say ten!

EDIT: I am revising my beam guess. It appears 22 times in the HBP, so I will say 20 in TDH.

Garnie
07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
so the wait is finnally over tonight at midnight itll be with us!
but dont make say i told you so!

Finola
07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Aaaarg, i can't wait any longer.
Still like four days!! I bet everyone else gets it before me :( :D
Not fair that someone gets it here in six hours...
But haha, what if it totally sucks? I mean Rowling isn't all that good that she could make an ending that would please even half of the world... Well, i hope it would at least please me.

scrumpleberry
07-20-2007, 05:36 PM
:D I am SO POTTERMANIC right now!

potterpotterpotter

PotterPotterMovie (http://thefifthdistrict.com/potter/)

Finola
07-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Omg, that vid is terribly. Well, after listening it three minutes it doesn't sound too bad... (hmm, yeah it does) except -- why is Ron that fat :mad:

scrumpleberry
07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Omg, that vid is terribly. Well, after listening it three minutes it doesn't sound too bad... (hmm, yeah it does) except -- why is Ron that fat :mad:

I think he's just wearing a baggy jumper...

Rocket Edge
07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Now to balance it out, the thing I loathe most about her work is her maddening repetition of words and phrases. Christ, how many times has Neville been described as round-faced, or Snape having a hooked nose? Yes, Uncle Vernon turns puce, and yes, Sirius has a bark-like laugh. Ernie Macmillan is pompous (but Harry likes him anyway) and...well I could go on like this.

The worst culprit of all is her insane use of "beamed" or "beaming". It's like she's had a bet with someone to see how many times she can use it! In fact, let's have an EoFF pool on how many times those words will appear in TDH. I say ten!

EDIT: I am revising my beam guess. It appears 22 times in the HBP, so I will say 20 in TDH.
I see what you mean. Miss McGonagall says everything 'tartly', and theres also a little paragraph about Tonks hair everytime she walks into the room. Its almost like an analysis.

Saying that however, I wouldn't change anything about the books that make them what HP is.

Doomie
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I find it more annoying to hear Tonks say "Wotcher".

f f freak
07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
OMG I'm so excited!!!! I'll be leaving in like 20 minutes!!! *Screams crazily* I can't wait.

rubah
07-20-2007, 10:56 PM
my dad and I spent about 45 minutes making me a wand out of hickory xD (stripping the bark, sanding it down, burnishing it) I feel like such a nerd, it's so wonderful!

Old Manus
07-21-2007, 12:32 AM
OH MY GOD I HAVE IT RIGHT HERE IN MY HANDS

IT'S SO SOFT AND BOOKY

Garnie
07-21-2007, 12:51 AM
i told yah so!

Kirobaito
07-21-2007, 01:10 AM
You Britons suck. I have another 4 hours and 50 minutes. :(

Fonzie
07-21-2007, 02:15 AM
You Britons suck. I have another 4 hours and 50 minutes. :(

3 hours and 45 minutes. xD

Old Manus
07-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Holy cow d00d. I'm only a short way in and cannot see how this can be classed as a 'children's book'. js

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
When I got to the store at midnight, everything was rediculous. Half of the people in line couldn't read past the 2nd grade level =/ I felt ripped off, because I was waiting in line behind kids who don't even know how to read what they are getting.

Arc_Master_14
07-21-2007, 11:28 AM
oh god Jk Rowling has just released another version of her cultist bible! Kool-aid anyone?

scrumpleberry
07-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Finished it at 4:30 in the morning. Then a sort of sat there for a while. Then I squealed. Then I tried to go to sleep.

This morning I started rereading it.

Snape is my new favourite character. I always scorned the Snape fans along with the Malfoy fans...and now...I am one of them..!

GASP! :eek:

Anyway, I thought it was very good.

The saddest death was Hedwig. She didn't elaborate much on the deaths of Tonks and Lupin...and Neville didn't kill Bellatrix, which I was expecting. I thought Ravenclaw's thingy might have been Auntie Muriel's tiara. The bit at the end with the kids I thought was a bit contrived and confusing, and we didn't find out who Malfoy's wife was. I guessed the doe was Snape's patronus, but I didn't guess the bit about Lily...

Rye
07-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh my god, I finally got it last night at 12, and aside from sleeping for 4 hours, I've been reading non-stop and oh my god it's amazing so far up to chapter 13 gotta go now bye. <3

rubah
07-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I finished it about half an hour ago. Fantastic.

daggertrepe
07-21-2007, 02:12 PM
WOW my bro got it last night too. I'm like

"whatever"

I still have to finish the other two before it.

Ah, well. *reads The Lovely Bones*

Kirobaito
07-21-2007, 03:06 PM
I have corroborating evidence that I totally guessed the doe being Snape's patronus, because he was in love with Lily.

I was tired by the time I was reading it, but I'm not sure of something. How did Harry get control of the Elder Wand? Malfoy was its true master, but because Harry defeated Malfoy in the Room of Requirement, HE became its true master? Otherwise I can't figure out why it would have ever gone from Malfoy's ownership to Harry's.

Didn't like the epilogue.

But an incredible experience to read, and truly an epic. This series will never go out of style. Odd, though, now, isn't it, to see it finished? I guess it hasn't sunk in yet that I will have no new plot to learn of, and no new pages to turn. Perhaps after I sleep it will have.

Ouch!
07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Freaking awesome, that's what it was.

YTDN
07-21-2007, 04:08 PM
THAT. WAS. AWESOME.

But....

WHY DID FRED HAVE TO DIE? WHY? *sobs in corner*

Rye
07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
I had a little more to read. I would have been done by now, but I slept for a few hours last night. This is freaking incredible so far.

Garnie
07-21-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah the book was awesome! im shocked to see some of you have finished it already lols!

BUT GUESS WHAT (AND IM LOOKING AT YOU DOOMIE) I WAS RIGHT
HA!

Spiffing Cheese
07-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I finished it at 3 p.m. and I'm still sitting here spazzing. Oh man.

Ouch!
07-21-2007, 05:23 PM
I got home with the book at 1:30-ish AM. I was done by 9:00 this morning. I read slower than I usually do as not to miss anything. One sitting for the win.

I cried at least three times. Damn it! Dobby! Damn it! Fred! Awesome! Harry and Ginny get together! <3

Rye
07-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh my god, I just finished it a bit ago. I usually read faster too, but I wanted to savor it so it took me until about 12:30 of last night until 12:30 today. 7-8 considering I was slipping for about 4-5 hours last night. It was PERFECT. Everything was just how I wanted it to be. The book kept making me cry every few chapters.

The sad: Okay, I really liked Fred and Lupin and Tonks and Dobby and that all made me sad, but I was freaking DEVESTATED over Hedwig and I cried right after reading it. xD

Also, hearing all about Dumbledore's family life made me so sad. It's like... it kind of left a sour taste in your mouth, because you WANT to think of him as perfect, but like the theme in the book goes on, everyone has good and bad in them, and they need to choose.

The Love:
I absolutely love how Snape tied in, and how they made him brave. I had a feeling every since OOTP that Snape had a thing for Lilly, but the whole of it still blew me away. The epilogue was a little cheesy, but I love Albus Severus' name and the meaning behind it.

I also love how Kreacher had some love. And I love how Neville is a professor, such a fitting end.

Also, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH" = <3 forever.

Probably my favorite book of all time now.

scrumpleberry
07-21-2007, 07:31 PM
The sad: Okay, I really liked Fred and Lupin and Tonks and Dobby and that all made me sad, but I was freaking DEVESTATED over Hedwig and I cried right after reading it. xD

I know, I felt horrible after reading that! It was awful...

Garnie
07-21-2007, 08:52 PM
im in love with snape and i cwyed when he died it was sad!
;_____;

Heath
07-22-2007, 12:52 AM
For some reason unknown to myself, I was actually awake at 7:30 this morning, so I was able to do my usual "let's stroll into town and get a cheap copy somewhere without pre-ordering or losing sleep" trick. Morrisons opened at 8am and had it for £5. Can't complain.

What surprised me most was that Harry himself was actually a Horcrux. I've heard that theory banded about a fair bit over the past two years or so and my impression was that people had generally dismissed it, given how difficult and inadvisable it is to make a living being a Horcrux. I did have a sneaking suspicion initially, but had actually not expected it in the book itself.

The Snape and Lily chapter towards the end was really quite nice, I thought. I think it really gave the reader a complete picture of Snape, finally settling over whether he was a villain or not. While I didn't expect something like that and was unsure what to make it of it initially, having thought about it I generally found it to be positive.

I read somewhere that someone thought the epilogue read like bad fanfiction and I'd really have to say that that appraisal isn't too far off in my opinion. I didn't like it it just didn't seem right to be honest. I was quite disappointed by the epilogue in all honesty. Perhaps it was a nice touch for some people, but I just found it to be a tad annoying and unnecessary.

One of my favourite bits were the scenes in the Ministry. I think that was nice firstly because it's always good to bring Umbridge in somewhere as well as showing the effects that the war was having on the general wizarding population. It's too easy sometimes to just show how an event changes the lives of the main characters showing only glimpses of how John and Joan Smith are dealing with the crisis that Britain is facing, whereas I think Rowling deliberately gave the 'general public' a lot of exposure to great effect.

What I did like about the book in particular was how some of the secondary and tertiary characters throughout the series were given more focus than before. Characters like Kreacher, Ollivander and Griphook in particular. I also got a laugh out of how frequently Dawlish was mentioned during the book. It was also quite nice that Rowling didn't shy away from a rather cliché 'but any characters that were named generally survived' result in the Battle of Hogwarts. The scenes at Hogwarts at the end were a rather fitting finale, I think. I'm unsure what I make of the chapter when Harry basically does what Ash did in the first Pokemon film, to be truthful. It was quite nice to have a link back to Dumbledore given how his image had been repeatedly tarnished through the book (which incidentally was another nice touch, I think).

Ultimately, the greatest tragedy of all was Dobby.

I generally enjoyed the book, I'm not quite sure how I'd compare it to the others, I guess I'll have to either re-read it or just generally think on it some more.

Psychotic
07-22-2007, 02:14 AM
I was tired by the time I was reading it, but I'm not sure of something. How did Harry get control of the Elder Wand? Malfoy was its true master, but because Harry defeated Malfoy in the Room of Requirement, HE became its true master? Otherwise I can't figure out why it would have ever gone from Malfoy's ownership to Harry's.Wasn't it because he expelliarmused him in the Malfoy mansion?

Random thoughts!

I didn't really like the beginning, with the escape from Privet Drive. Hedwig and Moody dead, George mutilated, and I thought Hagrid had snuffed it too. It was a bit "Holy smurf" to see characters I've known for years getting slaughtered.

I liked that Scrimgeour, despite being a full on twat, refused to sell Harry out even under torture. And hurray for Kreacher becoming a good guy!

Wasn't keen on the Harry and Hermione camping bonanza.

I had no idea Grindelwald even appeared in this book when I made my post about him in this thread, (obscure references ftw and all that) so I was kinda amused by the huge role he played, and by the fact that he was still alive.

Absolutely loved the Snape chapter. Even though before this book I, like everyone else, thought he would come good, after reading about him slicing George's ear off and such, and then his death with no heroic sacrifice, I was sure he was evil after all. Turns out I was wrong.

What in the whole of hell is with psycho powerful evil Crabbe?

Methinks Harry's christlike resurrection will piss off the Christian anti-witchraft movement even more...

Kirobaito
07-22-2007, 02:17 AM
I was tired by the time I was reading it, but I'm not sure of something. How did Harry get control of the Elder Wand? Malfoy was its true master, but because Harry defeated Malfoy in the Room of Requirement, HE became its true master? Otherwise I can't figure out why it would have ever gone from Malfoy's ownership to Harry's.Wasn't it because he expelliarmused him in the Malfoy mansion?

Yes. I had to recant the entire book for my sister when she called this afternoon and I cleared that up for myself.

~*~Celes~*~
07-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Okay, so I have yet to read it, but this one girl posted a bulletin on myspace saying "OMG look at this" or something like that. I expected maybe a survey or that she has new pics or something, but no...a list of ALL THE THINGS IN THE BOOK THAT I WANTED TO KNOW MOST! Somehow I knew they were right, but to confirm, I asked a friend about Mad Eye Moody's Death, one of the listed events, and she said that it did happen. THE GIRL EVEN LISTED WHAT PAGES THEY ALL HAPPENED ON!!!

I'm so mad at that girl now:mad2: :mad: :eep: :sweatdrop :nonono: :grumble: :irked: :yuck: :grr: :frust: :hot: :hot: :hot: :kaocry: :kaoangry: :kaofight: :kaofight:

rubah
07-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Methinks Harry's christlike resurrection will piss off the Christian anti-witchraft movement even more..
When JKR quotes the BIBLE in it? no wai man. And also she proved that it was good vs. evil just like everyone was saying all those years ago. You have good harry who refuses to be evil versus evil voldemort who refuses to be good! very black and white lol

Nominus Experse
07-22-2007, 03:53 AM
I purchased it this evening. Sitting around page 360 now.

I can't say I'm very impressed with this installment of the series - thus far.

Fonzie
07-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Got it at midnight, and I finished 10 minutes ago.

I kind of wanted for Harry to don the title of headmaster of Hogwarts, but I knew he would much rather a quiet life, with his family. Seeing Harry become Death would of been kind of fun also. :p

ljkkjlcm9
07-22-2007, 06:31 AM
I read it
I enjoyed it
I really haven't decided on whether I liked the actual turn out or not.
For one thing it ended rather abruptly for me... yeah there was the "epilogue" but c'mon. So he kills voldy, they're all sitting around eating, he goes up the office to consult Dumble, then 19 years later? Sorry but that pretty much sucked to me. If she's gonna go the cheesy ending of having Harry live, at least give him is public make out session with Ginny after killing Voldy or something lol

honestly, that's the only thing that has urked me. I felt it was really well written and planned, how the tiny things from the early books made such a big difference. And then I further noticed all the tiny things have been in the movies, like the snitch being caught in his mouth.

Well planned out story, good writing, very easy read

THE JACKAL

Fonzie
07-22-2007, 06:40 AM
oh god Jk Rowling has just released another version of her cultist bible! Kool-aid anyone?

Tool.

Zeromus_X
07-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I got it but I have yet to even start reading it (resists urge to read spoilers). I'd better get to it...

Yeargdribble
07-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Methinks Harry's christlike resurrection will piss off the Christian anti-witchraft movement even more..
When JKR quotes the BIBLE in it? no wai man. And also she proved that it was good vs. evil just like everyone was saying all those years ago. You have good harry who refuses to be evil versus evil voldemort who refuses to be good! very black and white lol

I think you're being a bit naive about that. They don't care if it's a power struggle of good vs evil. Check out one of the ladies that's been rallying for years to get the books banned (in a Georgia town I think). She openly admits that she's not read them. She doesn't care if their contents have jack to do with good an evil. All she knows is "ZOMG TEH WTICHCRAFTZES!!! IT R TEH WERKZ OF SATAAN!!" These extremist types that rally against this are immune to logic and context.

Well I just finished it after an absolutely marathon reading session (that started a little before it was actually release... PDF ftw). I thoroughly enjoyed it, though for a while I though the deus ex machina was laughable. At least JK's d.e.m. is always explained out in a less fantastical way.

I enjoyed so many of the loose ends getting tied up, and appreciated those "holy crap!" moments where you realize that something from a past book that you thought was just random color in the story... ends up being of serious importance.

Example:
The diadem... which he'd just glossed over before when he was in the room for hiding things... but it was mentioned nonetheless... and the fact that it was there just makes you go :eek:

One of the things I had predicted came true. Props to JK though. Throughout the whole book I was expecting it to come true, but the shadow of doubt crept over me more and more as I read... then near the point where it was revealed I was almost sad that it wasn't true... until then it was revealed that it was.

Details below:
Severus being a good guy. I was certain before. Dumbledore trusted him and I figured they'd planned ahead. There was a ton of evidence for this and it's such an alarming plot twist that the person you've loathed for so long would be a good guy... that it just had to happen.

When Harry was chilling with Sev's thoughts in the Pensieve, I cried so hard when Snape made his patronus and I knew it was him. I was actually doing well on the tears until the Epilogue where one of Harry's children was Albus Severus.

All in all a good conclusion to the series. I'm glad the epilogue looked so far into the future so as to potentially curtail the temptation to continue the series. I think that would only tarnish it.

Miriel
07-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I just finished reading it.

It was ok. =/

And I hated the epilogue.

scrumpleberry
07-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, the epilogue did suck a bit. It was very Epic Fanfictionny.

Snape should have had a headmaster portrait, even though he wasn't a Supah Headmastah. :D

I really want to know what happened to Krum, actually. Probably went off and played more quidditch.

It was good that she didn't make all the important characters survive, but I thought it was a bit contrived that Grawp fought off may full sized giants on his own. And noone seemed too upset about the awesomesauce Lupin and Tonks going. :confused:

Oh, and I actually really liked Scrimgeour. Even when he was being a twat, I thought he was a great character.

Zante
07-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Finished reading it, it was amazing. :love:

But the epilogue... *sighs*
When I first read it on a spoiler page, I thought that there was no way that this is the real thing, it was just too lame. I was hoping to get more information on what happened after the end, not just to Harry and co but in the wizarding world as a whole.

Garnie
07-22-2007, 02:20 PM
i thought the epilog was ok! it could have been more informative but thats what you get with a happy ending!

Little Blue
07-22-2007, 03:14 PM
i thought the epilog was ok! it could have been more informative but thats what you get with a happy ending!

I agree. There could've been more about the aftermath but I felt it was a rather touching and pretty good way to end it.

Heath
07-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Sorry, my memory's not too good, but when does she quote the Bible? Having said that, the entire book could be the Bible and I probably wouldn't realise it.

Psychotic
07-22-2007, 03:58 PM
And now another random thought.

A lot of people seem a bit miffed that Molly Weasley nailed Bellatrix instead of Neville, but to be honest I prefer it. I've always really liked the story of Gideon and Fabian Prewett, and until this book I had no idea they were her brothers, and when I read Harry getting Fabian's watch I smiled.

It just explains her character, why she is so overprotective and scared, having lost her brothers to the Death Eaters, and not being able to help them, and I imagine the injuries to Bill and George, and losing Fred will have only made it worse. By fighting Bellatrix and defending her family, it just completes the character.

Neville's character isn't based on regret over what happened to his parents, or a need for revenge. He just wants to live up to their name and be considered worthy by his Gran, and I'm sure you all noticed that he did.

Zante
07-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't mind that the epilogue was a happy end, I would be upset if it wasn't. :) The thing that bothers me is that it hardly tells us anything interesting. So the main cast got married...who would have guessed that? :eek:

ljkkjlcm9
07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
It was good that she didn't make all the important characters survive, but I thought it was a bit contrived that Grawp fought off may full sized giants on his own. And noone seemed too upset about the awesomesauce Lupin and Tonks going. :confused:

Well Lupin was significant enough to be one of the spirits or whatever that walked with Harry as he faced his death. He was put on the same level as Harry's parents and Sirius.

THE JACKEL

theundeadhero
07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
I enjoyed waiting to read this thread until after I had finished the book just as much as waiting to read the book without spoilers for so long. It was fun seeing who thought what and knowing they were right or wrong.

Something I noticed was that the chapter The Last Horcrux was off. At the time there were two left. The tiara and Harry. We didn't know about either of them at the time. When I read the chapter title I kept going over the horcrux's in my mind thinking I had forgotten about one, but it just turns out the title itself was wrong

GooeyToast
07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
The ending (meaning last few chapters) was a complete let down to me. Especially that awful epilogue she put in. Otherwise, I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as the previous two books.

Miriel
07-22-2007, 06:20 PM
The problem with the epilogue wasn't that it was HAPPY. Gosh dammit, I wanted a happy ending to everything. But she could have written a happy ending that concluded the series without it being so lame.

GooeyToast
07-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Especially after Harry completely owned Voldemort like a badass.

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
I just got the book yesterday! My grandpa waits in line for me every other year, bless his heart! I'm trying to stay off the internet for awhile to avoid spoilers, and I haven't read a single post in this thread!

scrumpleberry
07-22-2007, 07:16 PM

Well Lupin was significant enough to be one of the spirits or whatever that walked with Harry as he faced his death. He was put on the same level as Harry's parents and Sirius.

THE JACKAL

Yes, Harry thought Lupin was important and the spirit thingy happened, but he didn't really seem too upset that Lupin and Tonks were dead. Maybe he'd gotten used to people dying by then, though.

Radje
07-22-2007, 08:02 PM
The gratitude I feel towards Rowling is that which could never be given justice through words alone. I find it hard to believe that the series ran for 10 years and in all that time i've been hooked. No other book in my small library can boast what Harry Potter can and now that it is al over I feel a dull ache where anticipation for the ending has been replaced with the saddening knowledge that there will be no more. I feel almost as if my last vestige of childhood left me the moment I tearfully closed that book.

I did surprisingly well until the Heaven scene. This book tarnished Dumbledore's name when it began revealing that he wasn't the essence of purity and friendliness that has had been shown as for the first 6 books. After growing up with this notion having it taken away after he had died seemed a bit harsh of Rowling. Especially when it is revealed that he has long since sentenced Harry to death. So when he appeared to Harry as his confident, happy and warm-hearted self that we all know and love and explained that he had hoped beyond hope that Harry would indeed survive...Well, it brought me to tears. Of relief more than joy.

After that I was on the edge until the epilogue, managing to hold back even during the very end of their childhood in the story, the last time we'd know Harry, Ron and Hermione as their young selves.

But I couldn't help but let loose a torrent of tears onto the book when all the meaning behind Harry calling his child Albus severus Potter came crashing in.

Some people thought the ending tacked on and pointless, but I, like some others, enjoy that it prevents any future sequels being made and reducing the quality of the series in everyone's memory.

The star that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long. It should stay that way.

I don't think I will even be more engaged in a series of books than I have been since 1997 with Harry Potter. I never thought I could be so euphoric and as torn at this thought, much as Rowling herself said. I only hope she knows how much she has touched the world.

Yeargdribble
07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I didn't really like the epilogue. I just liked that it was there. It takes steps to prevent HP from branching out too much.

I'm glad that Dumbledore's reputation became slightly tarnished. The perfection was just unrealistic. It really started hurting me when I was having the same doubts as Harry, but I think it was for the better. You grow from your mistakes and it seems Dumbledore was no exception.

Zante
07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't see why Rowling wouldn't be able to write a sequel if she chose to, plenty could have happened in those 19 years.

scrumpleberry
07-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm glad that Dumbledore's reputation became slightly tarnished. The perfection was just unrealistic. It really started hurting me when I was having the same doubts as Harry, but I think it was for the better. You grow from your mistakes and it seems Dumbledore was no exception.

Yes, I agree completely. It added a lot to his character.

Araciel
07-22-2007, 10:27 PM
just finished it.

my eyes hurt.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
well, i finished it about an hour ago. I hated the freaking epilogue, and I actually expected Malfoy to thank Harry in some way shape or form. I would have just enjoyed the ending more without the epilogue. The epilogue should have told about all of the characters, not just the fact of Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermiones kids leaving off to Hogwarts. Although I was happy to see Neville become the Herbology proffessor.. The ending was perfect with the exception of that I wanted to know whom the new Headmaster of Headmistress would be when I read the epilogue and now I am just sitting here in a reality that I will never know anymore about Harry Potter and that there will be no more books. I heard rumors of Rowling doing another series and I only hope it is just as catchy and interesting, but it will never be as great as Harry Potter. Thank you J.K. for the ten years of great and inspirational writings! Even though your writing were the best ever I have seen, I am so mad at you for killing one of my personal favorites, Dobby. It is a great ending to an epic tale. Thank you alot!

Heath
07-22-2007, 11:02 PM
And now another random thought.

A lot of people seem a bit miffed that Molly Weasley nailed Bellatrix instead of Neville, but to be honest I prefer it. I've always really liked the story of Gideon and Fabian Prewett, and until this book I had no idea they were her brothers, and when I read Harry getting Fabian's watch I smiled.

It just explains her character, why she is so overprotective and scared, having lost her brothers to the Death Eaters, and not being able to help them, and I imagine the injuries to Bill and George, and losing Fred will have only made it worse. By fighting Bellatrix and defending her family, it just completes the character.

Neville's character isn't based on regret over what happened to his parents, or a need for revenge. He just wants to live up to their name and be considered worthy by his Gran, and I'm sure you all noticed that he did.

I'd have to agree with you. I've always liked Molly Weasley despite the fact she can be irritatingly motherly but as you said it's quite clear why she's the way she is. The fact that Rowling did bother to take the time to give more depth to the character of her was a personal highlight of the book in my view. Given how much she's had to endure over the years, such as losing her brothers, Ginny being posessed, Percy ditching the family, etc, etc I was glad she was able to blast one of the more prominent Death Eaters for good. Especially someone like Bellatrix who is essentially the complete opposite of Molly. Thinking about it, the Blacks in general seem like the opposite of the Weasleys.

The gratitude I feel towards Rowling is that which could never be given justice through words alone. I find it hard to believe that the series ran for 10 years and in all that time i've been hooked. No other book in my small library can boast what Harry Potter can and now that it is al over I feel a dull ache where anticipation for the ending has been replaced with the saddening knowledge that there will be no more. I feel almost as if my last vestige of childhood left me the moment I tearfully closed that book.

I don't think I will even be more engaged in a series of books than I have been since 1997 with Harry Potter. I never thought I could be so euphoric and as torn at this thought, much as Rowling herself said. I only hope she knows how much she has touched the world.

I've been reading the books since about 1996/7 too and it did seem incredibly weird to think I was buying the last Harry Potter book. I'm not an obsessive fan, the likes of which we've been treated to seeing on television, but I'm definitely a lover of the books. I'm not sure if I'll be as engaged again, however. While Rowling isn't the best writer amongst my limited library, she's definitely one of the best storytellers. And I'm glad that I was able to share in that story of Harry, if only as an observer.

Miriel
07-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Alright. So after finishing it last night and absorbing the whole thing, I've decided that I'm disappointed with the book.

And it wasn't just how things went down, it was the actual way the book was written. Incredibly jumpy, uneven, side plots that seemed clumsily attached, etc. I don't think the book flowed well, at all. It just seemed all over the place. Aside from the initial thrill early on in the book, I found large chunks of it to be slow and rather boring. It's gonna get better, it's gonna get better! I just kept telling myself that.

As for the actual plot, I thought it was just ok. It all just felt like it could have been executed better. Some of the stuff Rowling came up with, I thought "ohh...ok. I guess that makes sense" and other stuff just made me go, "wtf? Are you serious?" Like the whole thing with Harry vs. Voldemort. Ok, so the killing curse didn't work why? And she launched into all this mumbo jumbo trying to explain why it hadn't worked, blah blah blah blood protection horcrux blah blah. It just seemed like she was stretching things to try and make everything fit and make at least SOME sense. Didn't work too well in my opinion.

As for the deaths. Very unhappy with the death of Fred and Remus/Tonks. Not because they were my favorite characters or anything, but because their deaths seemed unnecessary and cruel. I can think of very few things as harsh as taking one twin away from the other, or taking both parents away from an baby. Rowling really had to kill both Remus and Tonks, making their newborn child parentless? Really? Pfft. I think that even the killing of Ginny, Ron, or Hermione would have been less heartbreaking than the idea of George being without Fred for the rest of his life. George was probably having suicidal thoughts at the end of book 7. Really, it was downright mean.

I liked all the stuff with Snape, it made sense and all of it fit together as I had hoped the rest of the book would fit together.

The Dumbledore stuff was alright.

The relationship between Harry, Ron and Hermione was alright too. Nothing fantastic there.

I fell in love with Neville, Luna, Mrs. Weasley in this book. Really really loved the actions they took.

Huuuuge let down with Harry+Ginny. Huge. I really wanted Ginny to go out and kick ass and have Harry and Ginny fight side by side. But instead he tries and shoo her away and keep her hiding while everyone she loved was fighting? And all the stuff about Ginny being a very powerful witch never came into play. That sucks monkey balls as her love for Harry and her adept abilities should have garnered her a bigger role in the book than just being eye candy for Harry to think about and long for.

I think there should have been a bit more information about how the characters and the wizarding world pieced themselves back together in the end. I didn't like the 19 years later jump into the ooey gooey cheesy future.

I just thought that the book could have been so much better. Maybe my expectations were too high. But I mean, this was the end, there's no more HP after this. And she chose to end it this way. It's disappointing.

Nominus Experse
07-22-2007, 11:33 PM
There are way too many fucking plot devices that were terribly forced.

I didn't care for this book much.

Yamaneko
07-22-2007, 11:38 PM
And it wasn't just how things went down, it was the actual way the book was written. Incredibly jumpy, uneven, side plots that seemed clumsily attached, etc. I don't think the book flowed well, at all. It just seemed all over the place. Aside from the initial thrill early on in the book, I found large chunks of it to be slow and rather boring. It's gonna get better, it's gonna get better! I just kept telling myself that.
They're all like that. Granted I haven't read this one or the one before (I have no intention), but she's not a great author and it shows. She caters to the people (millions) who are fans of the series, but really doesn't add anything to the fantasy genre. The books will be remembered for the sales numbers they were able to generate.

rubah
07-22-2007, 11:48 PM

I think you're being a bit naive about that. They don't care if it's a power struggle of good vs evil. Check out one of the ladies that's been rallying for years to get the books banned (in a Georgia town I think). She openly admits that she's not read them. She doesn't care if their contents have jack to do with good an evil. All she knows is "ZOMG TEH WTICHCRAFTZES!!! IT R TEH WERKZ OF SATAAN!!" These extremist types that rally against this are immune to logic and context.

I was being sarcastic xD

Sorry, my memory's not too good, but when does she quote the Bible? Having said that, the entire book could be the Bible and I probably wouldn't realise it.

p 325, from matthew 6:21 on dumbledore's mother/sister's graves. Out of context, but hey, it's there.

I enjoyed waiting to read this thread until after I had finished the book just as much as waiting to read the book without spoilers for so long. It was fun seeing who thought what and knowing they were right or wrong.

Something I noticed was that the chapter The Last Horcrux was off. At the time there were two left. The tiara and Harry. We didn't know about either of them at the time. When I read the chapter title I kept going over the horcrux's in my mind thinking I had forgotten about one, but it just turns out the title itself was wrong

I was under the impression that the tiara and the cup both got burned by the fiendfyre or whatever

Spiffing Cheese
07-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Dunno if this has been addressed before in this thread, but that was an error made by J.K. Rowling that was rectified in later editions of the book. :D

Psychotic
07-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I was under the impression that the tiara and the cup both got burned by the fiendfyre or whateverNo, that was just the diadem. Hermione destroyed the cup with a basilisk fang.