PDA

View Full Version : Hamster troubles.

Harmless
07-07-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm a fairly new hamster owner, and I bought him a ball and a wheel and all the essentials. I give him unused golf tees to chew on and he seems to love them, but every time I take him out of the cage he just freaks out. I feel bad just tossing him in the ball every night so tonight I tried to let him run around my bed and desk and bathroom but he just runs to a corner and balls up every time. Any suggestions on fun stuff to do with him, or maybe how to make him calm down a bit?

Resha
07-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Food, maybe? But hamsters always go crazy when you take them out of their cages. My friend used to do that and she'd have to spend hours looking for him; he just go hide. When I took my own hamster out of HIS cage, he bit my hand and ran away!

You could so something like scatter sunflower seeds around or something.

Psychotic
07-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Maybe put the cage on the floor, open up the door and let him come out on his own. Assuming it's the type of cage where that is possible, anyway. As Resha said, scattering sunflower seeds about should tempt him out.

Anaisa
07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
It's normal for them to be nervous at first. Food is usually the best encouragement. An they can eat lots of different foods, so you can let him try lots of different stuff.

Meat Puppet
07-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Resha knows much about hamsters—much more than she lets on. Had I a hamster problem (never will, but in theory), then I would present my problem to Resha, and take her advice as gospel (where hamsters are concerned, anyway.) Don’t believe me? Hell, I have a whole collection of the stuff. I think I will share a few which I find particularly interesting. Quoth the Resha:
<blockquote>...his name was Hammy. He hated me. I used to feel his brains (because hamsters have really thin skulls) and...well, maybe that's why he hated me. I don't know. I was a kid. And then he bit my daddy's hand and ran away one day.</blockquote>

And that is all I know about hamsters.

Markus. D
07-07-2007, 12:40 PM
they seem to like Eating Sunflower seeds and singing really awful pop songs on the anime show Hamtaro.

maybe try something like that :3?

Resha
07-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Resha knows much about hamsters—much more than she lets on. Had I a hamster problem (never will, but in theory), then I would present my problem to Resha, and take her advice as gospel (where hamsters are concerned, anyway.) Don’t believe me? Hell, I have a whole collection of the stuff. I think I will share a few which I find particularly interesting. Quoth the Resha:
<blockquote>...his name was Hammy. He hated me. I used to feel his brains (because hamsters have really thin skulls) and...well, maybe that's why he hated me. I don't know. I was a kid. And then he bit my daddy's hand and ran away one day.</blockquote>

And that is all I know about hamsters.

Listen, man :-( People have often been angry with me for the skull thing ("Oh, THAT'S why your hamster ran away!" and "Hamster cruelty!") but there's no denying it's true. And I feel like a pioneer, of sorts, discovering this awesome fact about hamsters.

And I'd like to add that it WASN'T animal cruelty because I was always very gentle with his head; I was terribly afraid of squishing his brains or something, so I was very soft and very kind when I stroked him.

and lol :O daddy's hand. It was my hand he bit.

Hamsters are just perverse and mean creatures in general, though. They're frisky when you want them to shut up. They're reticent when you want them to party. And never, ever trust a dwarf hamster; they are in a permanent state of PMS. :mad:

Harmless
07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think I'll be trying that, since I don't think my hammy has much of a brain anyway.

Resha
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Your hamster is called Hammy too? :cry: Oh my. Memories, memories. They bubble up like in champagne.

Harmless
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
No, my hamster is actually named General Todd Bojangles. Hammy is just like... kitty.

Craig
07-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I had a hamster named Tilly once and it hated me. One day I thought it was dead so I said "Mum the hamster is dead" and she said "No it isn't now go to school" when I got home she said "Craig the hamster is dead" so I buried it in my front garden.

The next day my nephew's hamster was the same so he said "Craig my hamster is dead" and I put the hamster on my doorstep and I dug a hole. But the hamster opened his eyes.

The fate of Tilly remains a mystery.

Old Manus
07-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I had a hamster called Dinner once and the urge became too great...:(

fire_of_avalon
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
My cousins had a hamster that lived to the ripe old age of six or seven. Long enough to turn all grey. It was a mean hamster. It bit me once. I hated it.

Namelessfengir
07-08-2007, 06:24 AM
i it gets out make sure you catch it before you go to sleep because it will eat your eyeballs .... yes i believe that most little "harmless" pets will kill you if given a chance. case in point the evil cat

Iceglow
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I personally have found that a quick spin in the microwave sorts all your hamster problems out. *nods*

Resha
07-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I personally have found that a quick spin in the microwave sorts all your hamster problems out. *nods*

That story of yours is the most horrific and traumatising one I have ever heard. Ever. It even beats Idi Amin.

Cookie
07-09-2007, 08:39 AM

That story of yours is the most horrific and traumatising one I have ever heard. Ever. It even beats Idi Amin.

No Resha, it really really doesn't. Nothing beats Idi Amin. ;~;