PDA

View Full Version : Umm?

Jessweeee♪
07-07-2007, 08:34 AM
I just got a text message from some random person saying, "man, who are you y do you have my number" or sumthin like that. I checked my dialed and recieved calls, and my text message outbox to see if the number was there, and it isn't. The area code is the same, so it's most likely a friend pulling a prank, the wrong number (I've had sooo many wrong numbers call me, I must have a similar number to a person with lotsa friends), or a creepy stalker.

Probably a friend.

Aaaaanywayz, I replied with "o.O I could ask you the same."

to which the person responded with "o."

...I think there was supposed to be more o_o

So...when you get text messages from a number you don't recognize, how do you usually respond?

:choc2: (I couldn't help but notice the chocobo is replaced by the pink elephant sometimes) :choc2:

EDIT: The person sent another message telling me not to talk to him/her anymore....BUT I WAS TEXTED FIRST :kaocry2:

EDIT 2:
He (I'm guessing it's a guy by now) sent two more messages saying more or less the same thing, to and I replied,
Okay seriously. Who is this? If you don't want to talk to me don't text me.

and he totally freaked out and replied

dude...LEAVE ME ALONE...DAMN !!! FUCK OFF ALREADY

What did I do????

Xaven
07-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Email their phone number. :D Send a billion emails and sign them up for all sorts of spammy things.

Or you could play their game and threaten to call the police if they don't stop stalking/harassing/whatever you. Whee, fight back.

Tallulah
07-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I remember one night on a night out I received a text message saying 'boo i see you' from a number I didn't recognise. I assumed it was my friend Phil messing about (he was the doorman in the bar I was in) so I ignored it and thought nothing of it.

However a couple of weeks previous I had gotten off with a guy called Simon and had given him my number (stupid I know because I suspect he already had a girlfriend) It might have been him.

Incidentally, the night I got that text message was also the night I met my now ex-boyfriend. Perhaps if I had pursued this texter (assuming he was male) I would have been spared all that heartache. :cry: Then again, it may have been a wrong number too.

If this keeps happening, change your number. I get freaked out getting text messages from a phone I don't recognise, or even the ones I know but don't have on my phone.

EDIT: Xaven, that is also a good idea. :D

Jessweeee♪
07-07-2007, 09:15 AM
He hasn't sent anymore...I don't even use my phone much, so I'd definitely notice if it was a number I knew...

Sergeant Hartman
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
With my old phone I used to get calls from random people asking me to fix their windows or something. The same old woman kept leaving messages :mad2:

So I spoke to her once cursing like mad telling her to stop phoning it's the wrong number! I stopped using it anyway and got a new one :)

rubah
07-07-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah I don't get texts.

James Leopold
07-07-2007, 08:24 PM
One time I got a text asking me to sleepover the persons house and to bring my friends

i was quite creeped out

Polaris
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Here in Portugal those messages are very common! Once I accidently typed the wrong number accidently and got to a guy and I said 'sorry I probably typed the wrong number ^^' and then he kept texting me asking private questions like 'what's ur name? where do u live?' and I was like 'dude I just got the wrong phone number why the hell do u wanna know that??' another message I loved was a girl saying 'hey bunny get the carriots while I text (probably a friend name)' WTF?? BUNNY? CARRIOTS! I was 14 when I recieved this message and I never forgot it!^^"

Doomie
07-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I've had wrong numbers call me, but never texts.

The Ceej
07-07-2007, 08:31 PM
If I ever get a text message from someone I don't know, the first thing I do is call them and ask them who they are, and then tell them not to text message me again. Then I call my cell phone provider and demand that they reimburse me for the unwanted text messages. This whole process usually takes about and hour out of my life.

If it's from someone I do know, I call them up and demand that they pay me 15¢ for each text message they sent me. But that usually doesn't happen as my friends and family respect that I don't text messages.

Vikeve
07-07-2007, 08:38 PM
I remember I got the wrong number once when I was trying to reach a friend. And who ever I called called me back the next day and started shouting at me asking how I got this number. I told the person I must have mixed up the number and called that person by mistake and that jerk of the person just kept on yelling at me askng once again where I got the number from when I already answered the questioned. So I said it was a mistake and I hung up.

Xander
07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I often get messages for some woman, I forget who, I also got a voicemail left for her?? the messages are kinda weird but maybe people just talk like that (Im sure they do). I just ignore them, not for me so whatever, its their problem.

Also, I think a certain baloki keeps texting me random messages but I *ALWAYS* forget to save his number so I dont ask who it is anymore so I kinda guess when its him. XD unless.. its someone else then.. i dont know who im texting ;_;

Faris
07-07-2007, 09:19 PM
I've had wrong numbers call me, but never texts.

Same here. It's always a guy asking for someone. "Is Bonnie there?" "Is Benny there?" Learn to dial people and stop waking me up at 10am! D=

Rye
07-07-2007, 09:38 PM
The cake sex girl that texted SUH Heath amused me.

Tigmafuzz
07-07-2007, 09:41 PM
my phone broke :(

Resha
07-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I always get wrong numbers and weird texts; one particular -- person? group of people? -- bothered me so much I saved their name as "BLACKLIST". I usually just go, "Who are you?" or somehting.

cloud21zidane16
07-08-2007, 03:22 AM
i got a wrong text once it said: hey sexy how are you and the kids, cant wait till tommorow night love u lots:D
and once this drunk guy kept ringing up my home phone asking for someone called dave, i kept telling him he had the wrong number but he was so drunk :p after about four rings my dad answered and pretended we were a chinese takeaway and told him he owed us money:) he never rung back again lol:rolleyes2

Pouring Rain
07-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Yeah, people like to text me saying "Let's go out tonight" and so then I become some sort of a homicidal whore and tell them to either get a life or I'll end it for them. Mhm.

Shiny
07-08-2007, 04:32 AM
Jessweeee♪, maybe it was some kind of evil prank. Sounds like one anyway. That, or the person that texted you is really forgetful.

I got a text message from someone asking me if I was Antoine. I texted her back and told her no. She was pretty polite about the whole thing. The phone calls I receive from strangers are another thing. I get weird calls from Arab people speaking in their native tongue and I'm just like I don't want anything you're selling then hang up abruptly. "Dey caaaallin' me!"

ZeZipster
07-08-2007, 04:40 AM
You finally got my text???

Seriously though I get these phone calls from this angry guy wanting to talk to someone called Lisa. One time he even informed he could hear her in the background. My friend also gets a lot of calls from people who don't speak English. That's a new level of confusing...

Jessweeee♪
07-08-2007, 04:53 AM
The number did seem a little familiar, but there's no record of it on my phone at all, and I haven't cleared them once...hmm...wonder who it was.

Namelessfengir
07-08-2007, 05:34 AM
i got a text from florida saying "are you ready?" i got interested and looked up the number

Nominus Experse
07-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I do not have a phone, so if I were to receive a text message from anyone, I would be a little perturbed.

Proxy
07-08-2007, 07:15 AM
I usually text back, and find out who it is. Or call at absurd times of the night. Either one works swell.

Big D
07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
I've had one or two wrong-number texts - either errors, or someone texting a random number just to see who's there.

He (I'm guessing it's a guy by now) sent two more messages saying more or less the same thing, to and I replied,
Okay seriously. Who is this? If you don't want to talk to me don't text me.

and he totally freaked out and replied

dude...LEAVE ME ALONE...DAMN !!! smurf OFF ALREADYOn some cellphone networks, it's possible for subscribers to change their number. In theory, there can then be two people with the same number - the second person receives all the messages sent to the first, and can send as well, while the original owner of the number is totally oblivious.
So it's possible that someone has had their number changed to match yours, and is sending harassing messages to the guy who's been messaging you. Whenever he responds, both you and person sharing your number will receive the reply if you're in the same 'cell', i.e. the region covered by a single phone signal transmitter tower.
My advice... don't delete any of the messages you receive, or any of the responses you send. If it happens again, call your phone company and explain what's been happening - that you're receiving angry messages from an unknown number that you've not sent any messages to.

It could be a simple mistake by someone, or a practical joke, or someone genuinely being an ass.

Mitch
07-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Happens to me quite a bit because my phone number is a simple pattern. I guess people just give it to people as a fake number. I get a few morning after texts.

I just ignore them if it's obviously not from one of my friends :)

Iceglow
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I had once woman call my phone once demanding to speak to her husband...she even was going on once she heard my girlfriend (ex) "Is that his little tart I'll claw her eyes out" then when I corrected her she kept on at me at how she couldn't have the wrong number and I could stop playing games untill I said "sorry what number did you dial?" she gave my number bar 2 numbers the wrong way around my reply to that was "you mixed up the numbers this is *insert number here* you may wish to call the correct one and do this...I wish you good luck in this"
she immediately called back on my number she'd done it again
in the end (6 calls later and she was actually serious) I offered to go call her husband and tell him the news for her.

I also got a really random text I don't have it but it was from some girl who was asking how I was and telling me she missed me and a few other details...I just text her back saying "hey yeah I miss you too babes, what've you been up to?" she never replied again and she didn't answer the phone when Baloki called her on my cell at the meetup but he did leave a voicemail acting as my "agent" asking for a date...

I've sent some texts to the wrong people once...my best mate never forgave me for the kinky one I sent him instead of my ex...

ReloadPsi
07-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I wonder who received the texts I was trying to send to you, Iceglow, only to discover I had two of the numbers wrong. (On the day of the 2007 meetup, I kept getting calls from an unrecognised number because I'd saved yours wrong... 'tis why I kept hanging up on you :P)

Never received unusual texts, though I've had people contact me who I didn't want to hear from, usually having acquired my number from another friend. It's fun telling them that I'll get them done for harrassment.