PDA

View Full Version : Materias that are a must get...

Rednikcam
07-07-2007, 02:37 PM
So I'm playing through this game again and I know that the last time I played it never got a few of these really rare materias that people talk about... so I was wondering what materias do I need to make sure I get? Things like the W-Item and Huge Materia, etc. Could you guys help out with some suggestions and what point in the game do I get them? :choc2:

grim07
07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Gamefaqs could help you with this

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
he's rite, use gamefaqs. i'll highlight the ones that can't be got again once missed

- contain. when tifa is leader, buy some mimmett greens from the chocobo farm before entering mideel then give them to the white chocobo in the mideel weapon shop. scratch it behind the ear to get the materia

- w-item. during midgar revisited, keep going down when you get into the train tunnels and don't stop. eventually you will reach the bottom and the materia

- the huge materias are easy to get and impossible to miss. for the spaceship (the only missable one really) the code is circle, square, X, X. or OK, SWITCH, CANCEL, CANCEL.

i heard somewhere that you can find any materia you miss at bone village but i've never tried this myself.

Tallulah
07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
The Long Range materia in the Mythril cave after the Midgar swamp is often missed out on. When you enter the cave, go right to a seemingly dead end. There is a box up on the mountains; you have to climb there to get to it. But the path is hard to see so turn on the indicators, which are green when showing ladders, and red when showing exits. Follow the path and grab the materia. If equipped to a character, it gives their weapon the same effect in the back row as it does in the front row. Useful for Cloud especially; not so much for Vincent, Yuffie and Barret.

It's by no means essential, but I find it really useful. :)

TheSpoonyBard
07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Enemy Skill: After the H0512 battle.
Ifrit: On the Cargo Ship after the Jenova BIRTH battle.
Ramuh: In the jockey waiting room before you enter the first chocobo race.
Added Effect: Cave of the Gi.
Bahamut, Morph, Luck Plus: In the Temple of the Ancients
MP Absorb: Wutai. Cannot be gotten once on disc 3.
Neo Bahamut, MP Turbo: In the Whirlwind Maze.
Steal As Well: If you miss the Leviathan Scales at the Submarine Dock, you can't get this.

That's all the permanently missable materia. You can get Contain before or after Mideel's destruction. Bahamut ZERO, Phoenix and W-Item can be uncovered in Bone Village once you've missed them.

grim07
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Steal As Well: If you miss the Leviathan Scales at the Submarine Dock, you can't get this.

That's all the permanently missable materia. You can get Contain before or after Mideel's destruction. Bahamut ZERO, Phoenix and W-Item can be uncovered in Bone Village once you've missed them.

Wow, well, I think that pretty much covers it, lol.

Rednikcam
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Cheers very much for that!

leader of mortals
07-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Final attack isn't missable, but it is a must have.
Same for Mime.
Same for W-summon.
Same for Counter Attack(this one is available early, but get more than 1 of them, like 2 for all 3 of your party members.)
I can't remember where you get command counter, but get it.

Thats all I can think of right now

Innes
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Enemy skill and maybe KOTR if you're going to be lame..

Most bosses can be took down with ease. :P you just have to know where to get the skills.

Heath
07-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I suppose the materia in optional locations such as Ancient Forest could be considered fairly easy to miss too (Slash-All, Typhoon).

Sword
07-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Sneak attack and counter (not counter attack) materia are good too. And get slash-all materia. If you upgrade it, the "slash-all" command will turn into "Flash" which is an instant kill attack on all enemies. However you should remove it before fighting bosses as it will have no effect. 4xCut and Quadra Magic are a must too.

Heres a tip: equip these materia combinations: Ultima=Counter, Ultima=HP Absorb. With this, whatever character you equipped these to will counter with Ultima when attacked and absorb HP at the same time. If you equip another Ultima with MP absorb as well then you can also regain lost MP from the use of Ultima.

TheSpoonyBard
07-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Ultima=Counter
That needs to be Magic Counter.

Heath
07-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Heres a tip: equip these materia combinations: Ultima=Counter, Ultima=HP Absorb. With this, whatever character you equipped these to will counter with Ultima when attacked and absorb HP at the same time. If you equip another Ultima with MP absorb as well then you can also regain lost MP from the use of Ultima.

Problem with that is the large amount of AP that's required to master Ultima in order to just get a second Ultima materia.

grim07
07-17-2007, 03:21 AM
Sneak attack and counter (not counter attack) materia are good too. And get slash-all materia. If you upgrade it, the "slash-all" command will turn into "Flash" which is an instant kill attack on all enemies. However you should remove it before fighting bosses as it will have no effect. 4xCut and Quadra Magic are a must too.

Now THAT is a combination! :D

Firo Volondé
07-17-2007, 08:39 AM

MAJOR TIP: If you're going to use Ultima, equip Confuse=Added Effect onto your armour (or just equip an accessory that resists Confuse). Casting Ultima, then having the caster become confused and use Ultima on your party, giving you a game-over, is really annoying. :mad2:

Sword
07-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Ultima=Counter
That needs to be Magic Counter.
Nope it's just called "counter". It can be combined with summon and command materia too.

And yeah Health naturally you need to AQUIRE all the ultimas first. I was just using it as an example.

TheSpoonyBard
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Nope it's just called "counter". It can be combined with summon and command materia too.
Counter only works when paired with Command (yellow) materia. Magic Counter only works when paired with Magic (green) or Summon (red) materia.

Northcrest
07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Are u able to get the Choco/Mog Materia in disk 3?

Trisdyn
07-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Har har. I scoff at these pathetic newb combos. (Just kidding, don't flame me.)

Let me fish out my FF7 strategy guide. (Once again, please don't flame me.)

Top 5 absolute needed Materia in Final Fantasy 7.

1. Knights of the Round
This is a given. This is an absolute need to destroy any boss and WEAPON in FF. Coupled with W-summon and select other combinations, you will surely make your boss fights much easier. (119,988 points of damage if your INT is high enough.)

2.X Summon/Quad Magic
239,976 points of damage in one turn, coupled with KotR. Need I say more? 479,952 points of damage with Quad magic.

3.Mime
Allows your party member to copy the last action. So, if they have a lot of int, 359,964 points of damage! Oh my god! What happens if your last party member also has mime!? 479,952 points of damage! OMFG! And Quad magic? 719,928!!!!

4.Final Attack
When you die, you get to do something. Obviously this would be coupled with Revive.

5.Either Quad-Magic + Ultima or Mega All + Shield.
If you have someone with int, Quad will do 1/3 damage of KotR. Or, you can focus on the defensive and get Shield... from the final dungeon.

Now some killer combinations.

Sneak Attack - Knights of the Round
Begin the fight by casting KotR. Mime em' to hell. (Less effective, as you cannot couple this with W Summon or Mime)

Cover, Counter Attack, Counter Attack, [Command] Counter-Deathblow
Cover for other characters and immediately counters three times, finishing with Deathblow. Not as effective as causing damage as the other alternatives, but still nice.

Pre-emptive, Sneak Attack - KotR, HP<-->MP
Get the first strike and cast KotR. Characters that have the HP<-->MP materia will be able to continually cast with no rest.

Enjoy.

(Note: This just in! Other party members can mime W Summon, making them cast 2 times as well! But Quad magic cannot be mimed. And no, you cannot manipulate the materia to junction W Summon AND Quad to cast KotR eight times in a row.)

Boy, let me tell you, after seeing all those KotR animations, it gets preeety repetitive. But you can find that out for yourself ;)

sir helix
07-21-2007, 09:28 AM
x4=all is the best

ReloadPsi
07-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Magic Counter-Restore (Have to be mastered)
Final Attack-Revive (Have to be mastered, helps if you've more than one instance of this combo too)
Double Cut, helps if 4x-Cut is available
W-Item (use a Turbo Ether and an X-Potion in the same turn; they become ridiculously easy to find later on)

Stick those on a Mystile, give the character any weapon you please and they can solo absolutely any boss. I spent so long fighting Ruby Weapon with that combo that he actually ran out of MP, but I defeated him with little trouble, other than my laptop's battery nearly running out. I've not tried it on Emerald, which I imagine would be a damn sight harder, but it's gotta be worth a try, right?

TheSpoonyBard
07-22-2007, 02:08 PM
1. Knights of the Round
This is a given. This is an absolute need to destroy any boss and WEAPON in FF.
It's absolutely not necessary, but does make things a little easier.

2.X Summon/Quad Magic
239,976 points of damage in one turn, coupled with KotR. Need I say more? 479,952 points of damage with Quad magic.
KotR does not work with Quad Magic. The most you can do with it is W-Summon it.

4.Final Attack
When you die, you get to do something. Obviously this would be coupled with Revive.
I find Phoenix works better.

Mega All + Shield.
Doesn't work. Shield is one of a few spells that I believe are single target only.

But Quad magic cannot be mimed.
Yes it can.

And no, you cannot manipulate the materia to junction W Summon AND Quad to cast KotR eight times in a row.)
True, you can't do this with KotR, but any other magic/summon works fine with W-Magic/Summon and Quad Magic.

Takara
07-24-2007, 01:54 AM
1. Knights of the Round
This is a given. This is an absolute need to destroy any boss and WEAPON in FF. Coupled with W-summon and select other combinations, you will surely make your boss fights much easier. (119,988 points of damage if your INT is high enough.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. It is not absolutely necessary to beat any boss or weapon. Useful, yes, but not necessary.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Trisdyn, maybe you should play the game a little bit more before attempting to give anybody else advice.

I believe you can complete the game well and good with only a very basic list of materia. Restore is almost certainly a must-get. The Wutai side-quest would further cement this idea

Peter_20
07-25-2007, 03:36 PM
These are the only Materias that I think are pretty much required:

Restore
Heal
Revive
Lightning
All