PDA

View Full Version : Movies and people

ljkkjlcm9
07-08-2007, 03:39 AM
here's a question after seeing so many threads about movies

doesn't anyone ever just go to a movie, to sit down and be entertained for 2 hours. Who cares if the storyline is amazing, who cares if it's hilarious or not. I figure, if I can actually sit there and watch a movie for 2 hours, it's accomplished it's job. I mean, there are movies that are so horrible I'd just walk out of, or turn off it were on tv/dvd or something, but most movies people say are crap, they still sat there through the whole thing and wanted to see it all.

All I'm saying, is people take movies too seriously it seems. What ever happened to their main purpose, of just entertaining for a period of time?

THE JACKEL

fire_of_avalon
07-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Most of the movies I actually see on the big screen are exactly what you describe. I go to the theater for pure entertainment. However, good plot, good story, and meaning all add to the entertainment factor of a film. That's why people talk about the literary components of a movie, as well as the cool stuff.

For example, last weekend I went to see Live Free or Die Hard. Do you think I did it because it had a deep, meaningful storyline; intricate, engaging plot and deep characters? Heck no! Bruce Willis is good looking and I wanted to see stuff get blown up.

But, when I go see the Whole Nine Yards, I go becuase Bruce is good looking, and because the plot is pretty interesting and the movie is funny. But I never saw that one on the big screen, just rented it.

So yeah, I definitely watch movies purely for the blowing stuff up factor, sometimes. But I also watch them for deeper reasons.

But in the next few days, I'm gonna watch

Jessweeee♪
07-08-2007, 04:32 AM
I got to the movie theaters to have fun with my friends n.n

We even watched TMNT and saw Tidus get kidnapped :eek:

Necronopticous
07-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Why don't we all eat plain ramen noodles for every meal?

Why bother making or playing new games when we have Pong?

What a joyless inquiry.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Films don't entertain me if I don't enjoy them.

Proxy
07-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I go to be entertained, but I also don't go to movies that look like they blow. Usually I go to the blockbusters that are almost guaranteed to be a hit.
But to just be entertained, why pay $9-12 when you can go walk around a mall, or sit in a McDonald's for an hour or so.

El Bandito
07-08-2007, 07:29 AM
All I'm saying, is people take movies too seriously it seems. What ever happened to their main purpose, of just entertaining for a period of time?

It's because even though movies may have started as a mere source of entertainment, they've evolved into an art form.

It's the same vein as going to an art museum and looking at all the paintings. Sure, most of them look nice, and obviously had lots of talent and effort put into them, but only a certain few cause you to stare and really analyze. Once that happens it's hard to look at the others without wondering why they don't have the same effect.

It's the same with movies. Sure a bunch are good for killing time, but once I see a movie where I really connect with the story and start to feel all the emotions the director subtly put in, I have to start holding everything up to that standard.

Nominus Experse
07-08-2007, 07:38 AM
It's because I derive entertainment from such qualities described. In order to enjoy a film, it must hold my attention, and in order for it to do that, it cannot flounder about with a half-ass plot and flat characters.

Am I picky? Some would say yes, I am. Either way, i don't much care.

Wolf Kanno
07-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm a restless individual by nature, and I'm pretty jaded. I don't go see movies very often cause most don't really interest me. The only films I've actually wanted to see this year was TMNT though I've seen a bit more than that. The fact that TMNT is still the best movie I've seen this year either tells me that it was a damn good movie or that the overall quality of movies have gone down a few notches since I last remember. I'm going to say both points are correct.

It doesn't help I have odd tastes. But I'll admit that even I get into the mood to go see stuff that I know won't arouse my personal interest but it may actually be fun at least. Evan Almighty is such a film. I doubt it will be a really good film but at least it might hold my attention for an hour or two. Even Live Free or Die Hard looks good since their hasn't been a good traditional 80's action flick in awhile. I'm a shrewd investor when it comes to my time and money and I just don't feel the movie media has the abilty to warrant a real investment. I prefer serials, comic books, and video games to be much greater investments.

Ouch!
07-08-2007, 08:02 AM
It's because I derive entertainment from such qualities described. In order to enjoy a film, it must hold my attention, and in order for it to do that, it cannot flounder about with a half-ass plot and flat characters.

Am I picky? Some would say yes, I am. Either way, I don't much care.
Bingo.

Movies that have exceptional qualities entertain me. Movies that lack such qualities merely occupy me.

Lawr
07-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Usually I don't walk out on a movie when I pay for it.
But thats just me :/

Dreddz
07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Who cares if the storyline is amazing, who cares if it's hilarious or not.

Well...I do really. If a movie's selling point is its story then I do expect the story to be good if Im expecting to have a good time, same goes with comedies. I can tend to nit pick at movies, but thats just the bastard I am. I would not walk out of a movie theater solely because I refuse to not completely waste my money, even if Im finding the movie to be wasting my time anyway.

Madame Adequate
07-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Well sure, sometimes I go see that. But it depends. I don't necessarily require a strong plot or characterization to enjoy a movie, but at the same time I don't want all movies to be balls-to-the-walls action (Although that is in part because Live Free or Die Hard can't be topped :bigsmile:). Sometimes this is good, sometimes that is good.