PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 Price Drop

Slicksword45
07-09-2007, 04:07 AM
60 gig droping $100, new 80gig selling for $600. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173806.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0)

The 80gig also includes a copy of Motorstorm

Why did I buy one now? XD

XxSephirothxX
07-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Took them long enough to confirm it. Every news outlet out there has been all over the price drop for a week. :p The 80 gig is interesting, thoug it seems to be almost excessive. Once they drop the price again, I might actually get one.

Proxy
07-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Took them long enough to confirm it. Every news outlet out there has been all over the price drop for a week. :p The 80 gig is interesting, thoug it seems to be almost excessive. Once they drop the price again, I might actually get one.

ring a ding ding.

Ramza Beoulve
07-09-2007, 04:35 AM
80 gig..... $600...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/991/homerdrooljl4.gif

*EDITGAAA!!!* By the way, change that url, it has two "http://" and the second one doesn't has ":"

NeoCracker
07-09-2007, 04:41 AM
I don't know why there is now an 80Gig Hardrive. Don't even know what Motorstorm is, though I want it.

Rostum
07-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Since when did 80GB HDD's cost that much? As far as I have seen, even in Australia, they are very cheap.

By the way, even if that price drops comes to Australia, you're still looking at $900-$1000, which is pretty much something only an idiot would spend for a gaming console.

600.00 USD = 699.341 AUD, you do the math. (It is currently around $1,100 or so to buy a PS3 in Australia)

Slicksword45
07-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Link no longer has the two htllpzy things :D

To bad Joal is banned. I wonder what he'd say about this XD

Hambone
07-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Okay, PS3 for Christmas. Hmm, then again, I really do need to wait for all the "bugs to be cleared."

Shoeberto
07-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Okay, PS3 for Christmas. Hmm, then again, I really do need to wait for all the "bugs to be cleared."
All I want for Christmas is a pee-ess-three!

erm, uh... lolwut

Nominus Experse
07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I am still not shelling out that much cash.
It is a small step in the right direction for us consumers however.

Mirage
07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Drop it another 100 and we're talking. And of course a 20 GB bigger HDD doesn't cost 100 dollars, it's just a marketing trick, because they still seem to think that people want to shell out 600 for their piece of crap :p.

Rengori
07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
To bad Joal is banned. I wonder what he'd say about this XD

Whoa whoa whoa, when did that happen?

Dreddz
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Its nice there doing an 80GB version and all but at the moment they arent really distributing anything at the moment that will need a hardrive of 80GBs. Still nice their doing it though. As for the price drop, couldnt of come any sooner.

Slothy
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM

*cough*PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Failure_rate)*cough*

I'd say it's pretty safe to buy a PS3. Honestly, it's the best built system I've ever seen and I really haven't even heard of any problems so far. It seems that Sony certainly learned their lessons from providing shoddy first-gen hardware in the past.

Brennan
07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Drop it another 100 and we're talking.

Exactly.

Roto13
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Drop it another 100 and we're talking.

Exactly.

Pretty much.

Slicksword45
07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
ok, the Ps3 price drop is officaly in effect.

Also, as to when Joal got banned, I have no clue.

CimminyCricket
07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Joel got banned about a month ago.

Northcrest
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Nice I'm just going to get a 60gig it's more cheaper.

Hambone
07-10-2007, 12:40 AM

*cough*PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Failure_rate)*cough*

I'd say it's pretty safe to buy a PS3. Honestly, it's the best built system I've ever seen and I really haven't even heard of any problems so far. It seems that Sony certainly learned their lessons from providing shoddy first-gen hardware in the past.

Yay Birthday!

Garnie
07-10-2007, 12:43 AM
i wanna ps3 but im poor :(

Slicksword45
07-10-2007, 04:45 AM
I looked it up and the 80 gig verson will come with 2 controlers. The rumbaling kind. neat XD

grim07
07-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Nope. $300 bucks, and I would get it. Im not paying more then 300 dollars for ANY video game system. Its just ridiculouse that people would spend 600 dollars on a video game system....

darkchrono
07-10-2007, 06:49 AM
What I think is worse than the system costing 600 bucks is that each game costs about $60 plus tax.

Germ Hamee
07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Gah. Now I have to hurry up and buy the 60GB version before it's discontinued, because I do NOT want anything to do with the lame backwards compatability options the 80GB offers.

Deborah
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I work in retail sadly and at my store it went down $100...which made a few people convince themselves into buying it now. But it is still way too expense for me to be buying one anytime soon. Geeze how mad I would be if I bought one a month ago and this all happened.. haha.. hopefully it'll go down a but more until I can actually think about buying one. :)

Slothy
07-10-2007, 12:08 PM
What I think is worse than the system costing 600 bucks is that each game costs about $60 plus tax.

$60 is nothing. Some of us remember the early days of the N64, where you could pay as much as twice that.

JKTrix
07-10-2007, 02:52 PM
And now for the bad news.
80GB PS3 has limited backwards compatibility - Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/80gb-ps3-has-limited-backwards-compatibility/)

As a note, the controller included with the 80GB PS3 will not vibrate. (The red light on the controller means nothing. It's a 'lighting trick')

The main point, and this is why I bought my PS3 when I did: the 'limited backwards compatibility'. It appears that the new batch of PS3s will have switched to the Software Emulation for backwards compatibility instead of having the PS2 brains inside of it. This makes it cheaper to produce (making the price drop hurt less for Sony), but it seems to exclude quite a bit of legacy (http://www.answers.com/legacy?cat=biz-fin&gwp=13) PS games.
Take a look at PAL PS3's backwards compat site (http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc), search for some of the more popular games. For 2 examples, PS2's MGS3 'works with noticeable issues', while PS1's Final Fantasy 7 isn't even listed.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe doesn't seem too pressed on updating the emulator either.

...rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3... (http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=293)
Whether or not SCEA will take the same stance remains to be seen.

If backwards compatibility is important to you, beware of this new PS3.

Timerk
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
All that it would take is a firmware update for Sony to bring the old
PS3s back in line with the new ones.

JKTrix
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
You mean to put the new PS3s in line with the old ones. It's the new PS3s that are gonna be gimped, with less games working than the old ones.

That's *if* they update it. Sony Europe doesn't have it on their priorities to fix games that don't work. It will have to be done on a case-by-case basis, so it's understandable that Sony isn't willing to spend a lot of time/money making old games work.

It's the same deal with the 360.

Slothy
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
The slightly gimped backwards compatibility kind of sucks, but at least it covers more games than the 360's. Hopefully Sony decides to add support to it in the future, but if not, at least I got my PS3 months ago.

Yamaneko
07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
If you're hardcore enough to still play your old PS2 games on your PS3 then you're the type of person that would keep their PS2. New game consoles are for new games (and new releases of old favorites for insane prices).

JKTrix
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
...but at least it covers more games than the 360's.

Oh come on. You're comparing a Playstation library of 12 years of games to the Xbox which is only half as old. That's hardly an accomplishment.

If they do what Microsoft is doing/has done and focus on their 'best selling games', this won't be an issue. If they can get the best/most popular PS2 games working, no one is going to care about 'crap licensed game X' not working on their console.

Also, I wouldn't call this backwards compatibility thing 'slightly gimped'. This is still related to the PAL PS3 list from back in March so it's likely outdated (for one, I think MGS2 works fine now, where it wasn't working originally). The initial percentage of working PS1/PS2 games on PAL PS3:

PS1/PS2 PAL Games Combined
Total Games: 5,021
Total games working: 2,826 (56.29% of all games)

* No known issues: 1792 (63.41% or working games)
* Minor issues: 473 (16.74% of working games)
* Noticeable issues: 561 (19.85% of working games) (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/breaking-down-the-euro-ps3s-backward-compatiblity/)
I haven't been able to find a comparable, more up-to-date list that is presented like this.

I'm sure a large, possibly majority of the non-working games are games no one really cares about, so it would do them well to focus on the few n' proud.

I still haven't seen Sony USA mention anything about the list of supported games, but it will come.

Still if you're planning on getting a PS3, Kotaku's advice (http://kotaku.com/gaming/get-out-and-push/80gb-ps3-bundle-uses-software-emulation-276401.php) is sound.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Im still not getting one until they release Final Fantasy XIII or Kingdom Hearts III, whichever is first.

Slothy
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
...but at least it covers more games than the 360's.

Oh come on. You're comparing a Playstation library of 12 years of games to the Xbox which is only half as old. That's hardly an accomplishment.

You misunderstood. I'm comparing the 360's 336 backwards compatible games to the (emulator using) PS3's 1,792 games with no known issues as quoted by you. Considering the relatively small library of games on the Xbox to begin with, and the headstart in implementing emulation, the fact that they haven't gotten more done is surprising.

JKTrix
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
True. I'm not exactly complimenting Microsoft's efforts either. While PS3's sucky backwards compatibility *isn't Sony's fault*, the 360's is to an extent.

-Short history-
Original Xbox had a graphics card from NVidia, 360 has graphics card from ATI. All Xbox 1 games--made for NVidia card--have to be modified to work.

Sony had a 'Technical Requirements Checklist' in place for PlayStation games. If a game followed this checklist, it would assure compatibility with future PlayStations. Obviously, a bunch of games didn't stay within these guidelines, leading to the problem we have with this stuff. Shame on them!

Perhaps Sony's not working on fixing something that isn't their fault is them thumbing their nose at the people who broke their rules.

Yamaneko is right though. To be safe, keep your PS2s!

Slothy
07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I did keep my PS2 to continue playing games like Guitar Hero and to cover my butt in the event a game I have doesn't work (the fact that you can now transfer PSX/PS2 saves from you PS3 to a PSX/PS2 memory card helps with this). I've yet to encounter a game that doesn't work on my PS3, but like I said, I have one with the emotion engine built in. Keeping old systems is never a bad idea anyway, and if you needed to get one, a new PS2 is quite cheap anyway.

Timerk
07-10-2007, 08:44 PM
You mean to put the new PS3s in line with the old ones. It's the new PS3s that are gonna be gimped, with less games working than the old ones.

I meant bring the old ones back in line with the new ones, but yes, that's the same thing you are talking about.

I just talk different. Like Yoda. Or Slimer.

Dragonsoul
07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't have time to read the thread but I'll post my thoughts.

PS 3 doesn't have any top rpg's now that make me buy the system. I have to wait until Fall 08 when FF XIII and FF V XIII come out, I will definetely get PS 3 then. There's a chance I could get it in Spring 08 when White Knight Story comes out I believe.

Wii: If I had more money and time I could have bought it on it's launch because Zelda is great. As far as the future I don't see any rpg's I like coming out.

XB 360: Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect come out Aug/Oct/Jan! FF XI and Oblivion are also out as well, and other top rpg's also. XB 360 is great.

Bottom line for me is that the system with the most top rpg's is the one I will get, although price is a factor and PS 3 is very very expensive!

I got PS 2 again in last fall for FF VII: DoG and FF XII and Rogue Galaxy. I'm getting XB 360 in August just in time for Blue Dragon. By the way I'm getting Nintendo DS on September in time for Zelda(Oct 1st). I don't see me buying a PSP or Wii although I'll buy a Ps 3 later.

cloud21zidane16
07-11-2007, 01:28 AM
its still not worth it just yet, cut off another $100 and release some good games then ill get it

Timerk
07-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I don't have time to read the thread but I'll post my thoughts.

I didn't have time to read your list-ey post....

but I did skim it :D .

You seem to ignore the fact that Oblivion is out for the PS3, and listing DoC as the reason to pick a system up is just...wrong.

:moomba:

tidus_rox
07-11-2007, 05:19 AM

HAHA... okay so my friend in always like "OMG all's PS3's do is break! Wii's rule!" So I'm like "I hate Nintendo but just to proove you wrong..." So I bought a Wii. It was broken!!! YAY!

I bought a PS3... the only think wrong with it is that the PS logo on the front can do a 360.

Nifleheim7
07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I have three reasons for not buying a PS3 yet.
The first one was it's price.
The second one is because i'm waiting for the next versions to come out.By then all the bugs will be cleared and maybe it's price will drop more.
Also there's not even one PS3 game that interests me atm.

Slothy
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
The second one is because i'm waiting for the next versions to come out.By then all the bugs will be cleared and maybe it's price will drop more.

As I posted earlier; retailers are estimating the PS3 failure rate at less than 1%. I doubt waiting will get you any better odds of not getting a faulty console.

I also find it hard to believe there's nothing that interests you on the PS3. I may hate the looks of the gaming lineups for the Wii and Xbox 360, but even I have to admit to one or two titles on each that I want to play (far from enough to get me to buy either of them, but still).

Croyles
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Drop it another 100 and we're talking. And of course a 20 GB bigger HDD doesn't cost 100 dollars, it's just a marketing trick, because they still seem to think that people want to shell out 600 for their piece of crap :p.

The 80gb PS3 comes with Motorstorm, which costs 60$, so your not paying 100$ for 20 extra gigs. But I do have to admit that 60gb one is still a better deal. 60gb isnt enough for some, but it is for me. Motorstorm is a really fun game though, I havnt had that much fun in a racing game before, Burnout is close though.
Sales have gone up 2.800% on amazon and its number one for gaming at the moment.
Im loving my PS3 and there are at least 7 games I need to get that are coming out this year.

Nifleheim7
07-11-2007, 03:55 PM

As I posted earlier; retailers are estimating the PS3 failure rate at less than 1%. I doubt waiting will get you any better odds of not getting a faulty console.

I also find it hard to believe there's nothing that interests you on the PS3. I may hate the looks of the gaming lineups for the Wii and Xbox 360, but even I have to admit to one or two titles on each that I want to play (far from enough to get me to buy either of them, but still).

Yeah,i know about the low failure rate and these are very good news,but i still find it hard to trust 500+euros at sony.I had a first gen ps2 but one year ago i had to buy a new one because my first one refused to play any new games.
As for the games,i was talking about the currently released ones.And yes out of them nothing interests me (at least enough to buy the console).Of course it has many games that i want to play but they are still developed and they will come out later (FFXIII,Unknown Realms,White Knight Story,DMC4,to name a few)
I will definately buy a PS3 but not before next summer.

Croyles
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
It definitely is still expensive, but in my opinion you get what you pay for. There are many great games coming out in Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov and Dec, not to mention next year. Heavenly Sword, Haze, Warhawk, Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and more all look to be great games, and their coming out before the end of the year. I guess people are a little anxious of buying new IP, and would rather just go for a console when its got many sequels to their beloved games :(

JKTrix
07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
"You Get What You Pay For." That's an interesting quote. I think people should "Know What You're Getting When You Get What You Pay For."

$600 for a box to play video games is too expensive. That's what the majority of gamers are seeing, since all they'll want a PS3 for is for the games.

But the PS3 isn't just a game system. It's a High Def blu-ray playing multimedia powerhouse, beyond-cutting-edge technological marvel and whatnot. All of that extra stuff makes it 'worth' $600.

But the gamer doesn't care about all the extra stuff, all they see is "It's going to cost me $500/$600 to play [random PS3 game]?" The cost doesn't make sense to them if they don't see/know/care about the extra stuff.

Croyles
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
JKTrix If people want to "Know What You're Getting When You Get What You Pay For.", they need to read it up, im not going to start writing a 10 page list of everything the PS3 can do :p
I think gamers should care about the 'extra' features like blu-ray. Blu-ray is what is already making some of the titles that are coming out possible, games with 25gb of data, like Lair for example. The amount of data in games is increasing very fast, in fact the speed at which it increases multiplies, like it does with everything else.
I can obviously understand that a lot of people still dont want to invest in a console like that yet, but i definitely think its the future.

JKTrix
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I wasn't exactly instructing you to list the features :P If one cares enough about it, they will look it up themselves.

People like you and me 'get it'. (I have a PS3, if you didn't know.) I understand why it costs what it does, even if I don't agree with it. I would not have bought the PS3 when I did were it not for this software emulation thing, but as I mentioned that's what tipped me over.

While I agree that the BluRay's storage capabilities (50 GB max) is great, that does come with practical downsides:
-More data=longer load times. If you don't want to bear with the load times, you can install the game onto your harddrive, and that actually works like a dream. However,
-Installing onto harddrive takes up space. (Duh!) The amount of time it takes to actually install is understandably substantial, so I'm not complaining about that. (While I didn't exactly time how long it took for Ninja Gaiden to install, I started to watch a video while it was going on. When the install ended, my video was around the 8 minute mark.) I only have 2 'installed' BluRay games on my PS3, and that's VF5 and Ninja Gaiden. Upon downloading the MGS4 trailer this morning, I noticed I had 39 GBs of free space left. I was surprised that so much of my 60 GB harddrive space had been eaten by 2 games.

Not to say the 2 games alone took up 21 GBs. Boring details in spoilers. Skip past for the result.
-This is mostly anecdotal evidence, as I don't have my PS3 here to check the real numbers.
I only own 2 other games, Resistance and Gundam Musou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_Musou), and those read off the disc. I have 4 demos installed (Genji, Armored Core, Ninja Gaiden, Rub a dub) and one HD video of around 250 megs. Above all that, I have 3 full PS2 cards installed on my drive. Assuming the demos are 1GB each (they are not), all of the other data that I loaded myself should only be 4.5 GB. Add to that around 2 GBs of system data and updates, and that's 6.5 GBs of data used for stuff that is not installed games.

60GBs (PS3 max storage) minus 6.5 GBs (other data) = 53.5 GBs remaining space.

So if my current 'remaining disk space' after installing 2 games is 39 GBs:

53.5 GBs - 39 GBs = 14.5 GBs.

Those two installed games together equal at least 14.5 GBs. That's 1/4 of the 60GB PS3's total storage on 2 games. It's an understandable sacrifice to increase the game's performance, though I can see problems arising in the future when more games come down the line. When I'm low on space, I'll be forced to either delete another (frequently played) game's data, or endure the potentially long load times.

So this future of gaming is great, but it comes with strings attached.

Croyles
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah thats true, I have Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Oblivion installed on my PS3 and they both take around 4gb each, but i'll never be playing more than 4 games at any one time, so if i have a lot of game date on my hdd, ill just back the older games up on another device. Well since oblivion for the ps3 installs on the hdd to greatly decrease loading time, it takes up 4gb. I can fit that on my usb stick or pretty much anything else I can think of and then just transfer it on my PC. Compatible media devices are increasing quickly :). Pretty much all portable hard drives are increasing their space and cutting prices really fast. I remember when a 1gb usb stick was 80 pounds, now I can find 4gb ones for 10 pounds.

Or if you still dont have the little amount of money it takes to buy something very cheap like that once your disk space runs out, wich will still take a while mind you, you can always just delete the game data, keep the game saves and if a year later you feel like playing that old classic again, i dont think its much hassle waiting for 5 minutes for it to install on your hard drive.
I remember waiting for FFXI to instal, download the updates and then also install them, now THAT was a pain :D
That game takes like what, 20 gigs? lol

BTW, what games do you have?
I have Motorstorm, Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Resistance: Fall of Man

Slothy
07-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I only have 2 'installed' BluRay games on my PS3, and that's VF5 and Ninja Gaiden. Upon downloading the MGS4 trailer this morning, I noticed I had 39 GBs of free space left. I was surprised that so much of my 60 GB harddrive space had been eaten by 2 games.

Not to say the 2 games alone took up 21 GBs. Boring details in spoilers. Skip past for the result.

This is mostly anecdotal evidence, as I don't have my PS3 here to check the real numbers.
I only own 2 other games, Resistance and Gundam Musou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_Musou), and those read off the disc. I have 4 demos installed (Genji, Armored Core, Ninja Gaiden, Rub a dub) and one HD video of around 250 megs. Above all that, I have 3 full PS2 cards installed on my drive. Assuming the demos are 1GB each (they are not), all of the other data that I loaded myself should only be 4.5 GB. Add to that around 2 GBs of system data and updates, and that's 6.5 GBs of data used for stuff that is not installed games.

60GBs (PS3 max storage) minus 6.5 GBs (other data) = 53.5 GBs remaining space.

So if my current 'remaining disk space' after installing 2 games is 39 GBs:

53.5 GBs - 39 GBs = 14.5 GBs.

Those two installed games together equal at least 14.5 GBs.

You're forgetting that 5GB is automatically allocated to the PS3's operating system, so the total is actually about 55GB. Also, although I don't have Ninja Gaiden, going by Croyles comment that it take up about 4GB means that between that and VF5, they're only taking up about 6-7GB (VF's install is roughly 2-2.5GB). Resistance also has a 160MB (give or take) install, though that isn't substantial. I don't know how large the MGS4 trailer is since I haven't been able to log into the Playstation Network lately (it's a problem resulting from the 1.80 firmware I haven't bothered trying to fix yet), but unless it's a few GB you likely have some larger files on the PS3 than you realize. I have several trailers, CD's, the Gran Turismo demo, and several game installs/save files (more than you list) and I've hit the point where I have 39GB left.

The beauty of the system though is that, as Croyles said, you can always back stuff up, or just delete older installs you aren't using to make room for new games, or if you want, you can always replace the HDD with a bigger one.

Roto13
07-14-2007, 07:00 PM
If you're hardcore enough to still play your old PS2 games on your PS3 then you're the type of person that would keep their PS2. New game consoles are for new games (and new releases of old favorites for insane prices).

People often sell their old systems if they can play their old games on a new one. That's what I'm doing with my Game Cube. There's also the issue of not wanting a bunch of consoles hooked up to one TV. The PS3 is supposed to cover three generations. That's two extra consoles.

HAHA... okay so my friend in always like "OMG all's PS3's do is break! Wii's rule!" So I'm like "I hate Nintendo but just to proove you wrong..." So I bought a Wii. It was broken!!! YAY!

I'd be willing to bet that even people like dreddz and Vivi22 find you annoying.

EDIT: Oh, snaps. (http://gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4876)

Croyles
07-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, this is what I stated in another thread. They are gonna discontinue it after the supply runs out. Note that this doesnt only include the supplies at retailers but at sony themselves, so the deal will last quite a long time.

Rase
07-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Kaz's Clarification (aka what Croyles was referencing) (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175011.html)

SCEA has subsequently confirmed the phase out, but emphasized that it would be gradual. "The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted," Karraker told GameSpot in a follow-up interview. "We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come."

Karraker also responded to criticism that loudly promoting the new $499 price point while quietly discontinuing its production amounted to a bait and switch. "This is absolutely not a bait and switch," he said. "We are offering a full featured PS3 for $100 lower than the original price and will do so for months to come, allowing consumers the opportunity to acquire this model at this adjusted price."

Slothy
07-15-2007, 03:59 PM
While this seems like a bad thing on the face of things, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 80GB model drop to $499 (or less if Sony's feeling generous) once the 60GB models are gone. Right now, the 80GB is coming with 20GB extra and a game. Lose the game and by Christmas it could easily be sold for $499. The fact that they have said they will re-evaluate the market strategy once the 60GB units are gone tells me they're probably planning to immediately drop the price of the 80GB model.

Croyles
07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah, just dont tell that to too many people. Otherwise it will never happen. :(

Roto13
07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
I doubt removing the game from the deal would drop the price a whole $100.

Croyles
07-16-2007, 08:08 PM
I doubt removing the game from the deal would drop the price a whole $100.

I dont get your point. The price is likely to drop again. If it does, it will be when the 60gb has sold out and the only thing left is the 80gb. Seeing as how the 60gb is now $499 it would be pretty stupid to increase the price. Therefore, when the 60gb has sold out, the $599 80gb will probably instead be sold at $499 without the game.
They will never limit the PS3 distribution method to bundles only, because that would be stupid.

grim07
07-17-2007, 03:23 AM
300 bucks, and thats as high as I'll go.

Slicksword45
07-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I herd a Rumor (From GameFAQs, but the person said he got it from GameInfromer)

Sony is makeing ANOTHER combo.

40Gigs for 400 dollers

Slothy
07-18-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm not so sure I'd believe everything I hear on Gamefaqs. Actually, make that anything I hear on Gamefaqs. :rolleyes2

It'd be nice if they did have a model that cheap, but they likely would have dropped a bombshell like that at E3 when they announced the 80GB and the 60GB price drop.

Croyles
07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I think Sony is all about trying to keep one SKU at the moment.