PDA

View Full Version : Selphie

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-10-2007, 05:43 AM
When you played this game for the first time what did you think of Selphie? I liked her I thought she was much more interesting than Rinoa.

Cookie
07-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Selphie is the most amazing character in the game ever in the history of the universe. The End.

rubah
07-10-2007, 06:31 AM
lol pun.

Selphie is pretty great, but I don't think I like her better than rinoa.

Monol
07-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I thought she was fun but i thought Riona was a pretty groovy cat as well....I love selphies weapon and attitude but Riona definatly gets the babe card :cool:

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I thought she was kewl n.n

Hambone
07-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I don't like her very much. It's really one of those things that where you have no reason to dislike someone/thing. Y'all probably think I'm high.
:shifty:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
To me Rinoa's nothing more than a pretty face. Selphie is a much more plausible character. I liked her from the very start

Polaris
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
I loved Selphie she was sooooooo cute! I even started calling my sister Selphie because she was so similar to her! :D Irvine Kanapoooooooo! :D

Namelessfengir
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
i like selphie more than rinoa in the way i like rikku better than yuna
peteite perky and hyper
more fun

daggertrepe
07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree.

But Quistis PWNS them both.

Xurts
07-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought she was funny. I still sometimes use her for random battles.

atlanteay
07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree.

dagger and her Quistis pwnage :bigsmile:

i think selphie was pretty cool but she didn't get enough attention after the first disk.

Hyperion4444
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Out of all the little mystic girls like Yuffie, Penelo, Rikku, Selphie... or even Meru (LOD) and so on... Selphie is more endurable, except she could loose the straps and wear something else... besides yellow.

charliepanayi
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
She's not as good as Quistis or Rinoa I feel, but I still enjoyed her character (my brother hated her intensely in contrast) and I loved reading her updates on the Balamb Garden system about 'Sir Laguna' and his travels. She and Irvine fit together well too. The game needed lighter characters like her, Irvine and Zell to offset the seriousness of Squall, Quistsis and (to a lesser extent) Rinoa.

cloud21zidane16
07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
To me Rinoa's nothing more than a pretty face.

and whats wrong with that?:p
i liked selphie throughout the whole game she was a useful character with a positive attitude. But she looked really stupid and clumsy when she feel down that ledge in Dollet:p espicially because you had already seen her run in to squall:rolleyes2

Tallulah
07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Although I profess to hate Selphie (I killed her off in my FFVIII fanfic), I actually thought she was an interesting character who put a different slant on the story with her seemingly unwavering cheerfulness, which did grate on me a little bit. Plus, I find her Limit Breaks very useful, and her ultimate weapon, Strange Vision has a Hit stat of 255, the same as a gunblade. Heck, that saved my a$$ a couple times. :rolleyes2

Hyperion4444
07-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Good to defeat catuars without miss given she a bit stronger.

The Ceej
07-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I just found her annoying. Maybe that's just me.

I may get heat for saying this, but I liked Squall's attiude from early in the game best. It bothered me to see Rinoa change him, but when he died in the end, it showed Rinoa that he was right the whole time and she was wrong to change him. Of course, that's how I read it.

cloud21zidane16
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I may get heat for saying this, but I liked Squall's attiude from early in the game best. It bothered me to see Rinoa change him, but when he died in the end, it showed Rinoa that he was right the whole time and she was wrong to change him. Of course, that's how I read it.

he didnt die

Xurts
07-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Watch the ending credits.

The Ceej
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
I did watch the end credits. The fact he came back when and how he did told me that it had to be a dream. He did die, otherwise he'd be in the home video and Rinoa wouldn't be wearing a black cloth on her arm.

atlanteay
07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
um, she wears that black ribbon since the beginning of the game.

Xurts
07-11-2007, 03:01 AM
I did watch the end credits. The fact he came back when and how he did told me that it had to be a dream. He did die, otherwise he'd be in the home video and Rinoa wouldn't be wearing a black cloth on her arm.
...what?

He wasn't in the home video because the camera ran out of batteries and he was out on the balcony. Rinoa wasn't wearing a black cloth on her arm, she was wearing her normal outfit. She's had that black ribbon on her arm for the entire game. Pay more attention?

Squall is undeniably alive. Watch the credits again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPmWxzcot-M

daggertrepe
07-11-2007, 03:12 AM
I agree.

i think selphie was pretty cool but she didn't get enough attention after the first disk.

Damn straight, lant! :tongue:

Takara
07-11-2007, 03:31 AM
No character that wasn't Squall, Rinoa, or Laguna (and even there, he didn't get that much) got many attention after the first disk.

As for Selphie, I adored her. I found Rinoa to be one-dimensional. Selphie appeared one-dimensional too at first, what's with always being cheerful and optimistic, but as the game progresses, especially toward Trabia Garden's bombing, you get a glimpse of another part of her personality. You see that, despite that hyper, cheerful façade, there is a young woman who hides her own fears and insecurities.

Hyperion4444
07-11-2007, 03:59 AM
I agree.

Damn straight, lant! :tongue:

During Disk 2, she was in charge of the missile base team, and her garden blew up!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I agree. But Quistis PWNS them both.

No offense but I think Quistis sucks.

XxSephirothxX
07-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Definitely the most annoying character in FFVIII.

Disco Potato
07-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I didn't care too much about her for a long time, but the last time I played I thought she was adorable. I loved her random, violent outbursts ("blow it to smithereens with a rocket launder?!," etc.).

As for Selphie, I adored her. I found Rinoa to be one-dimensional. Selphie appeared one-dimensional too at first, what's with always being cheerful and optimistic, but as the game progresses, especially toward Trabia Garden's bombing, you get a glimpse of another part of her personality. You see that, despite that hyper, cheerful façade, there is a young woman who hides her own fears and insecurities.

I interpreted that hiding of negative emotions as resilience and optimism. But it's been a while since I played the game so I might've forgotten stuff :monster:

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Selphie wasn't as annoying as Quistis IMHO. Because Quistis would always cut Squall off and finish what he was going to say.

Takara
07-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Heh, funny, the most annoying character for me was Rinoa, because she was just so damn pushy and clingy.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Heh, funny, the most annoying character for me was Rinoa, because she was just so damn pushy and clingy.

I think Rinoa was annoying because she was trying to act like she was tough but she wasn't tough she was WEAK...Anyway I bet Selphie could've kicked Rinoa's ass if they ever fought each other in the game.

Hyperion4444
07-12-2007, 04:55 AM
I don't like Rinoa's looks or personallity.
But I use her as she is still one of the best in the game ''gameplay-wise''.

Yuffie514
07-12-2007, 06:36 AM
spunky attitude. i like her. useful for healing.

Heath
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't particularly have any strong feelings either way about Selphie. She's useful enough in battle, but I never really feel inclined to commit to having her as part of my main three characters.

Hambone
07-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Selphie wasn't as annoying as Quistis IMHO. Because Quistis would always cut Squall off and finish what he was going to say.

It's even more annoying if we were able to hear them speak. :)

But Quisty's my fav.

Slade
07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Selphie was awesome. If I didn't think so, then I wouldn't draw her so much. One of my all-time favourite FF characters :D

Dr. Acula
07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Selphie is my no. 1 favourite FF character, along with Vivi.:love:

Zeromus_X
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I thought she was pretty cool, but Quistis is still my favorite FFVIII girl.

~rinoa_tilmitt92~
08-06-2007, 04:09 AM
i didnt like how she showeds squal and zell her panties when she fell down the hill!!1 that was dirty trick :mad2: but other than that she was one of my favourite :love:

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I didn't like how she showed Squall and Zell her panties when she fell down the hill! That was dirty trick :mad2: but other than that she was one of my favourites :love:

That's what made me like Selphie. :)

Dr. Acula
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM
I didn't like how she showed Squall and Zell her panties when she fell down the hill! That was dirty trick :mad2: but other than that she was one of my favourites :love:

That's what made me like Selphie. :)

And you know Squall and Zell didn't mind.

BardTard
08-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I LOVE SELPHIE she's all cute and like, WHOO HOO LET'S BLOW THINGS UP! *jumpy* That's awesome and I love her! If she was real, we would have so much fun together! And she's always like, the invincible one when I play with her. She NEVER dies.

Hazzard
08-12-2007, 07:58 PM
It was good that Selphie was the peppy one to always lift the parties hopes up, and she was so caring and considerate of other peoples feelings as well. Great character, loved her!

Rikku was just a carbon copy...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Rikku was just a carbon copy...

I think Rikku was like a cross between Selphie and Yuffie...*Shrudders* I hate Yuffie!:mad:

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2007, 12:56 AM
ZELL AND SELPHIE MAKE THE CUTEST COUPLE EVAR!!!!

...Irvine goes with the pigtail girl anyway :mad2:

Hazzard
08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Zell & Selphie aren't good, man, both are way too high. Zell deserves the pigtail chick, while Irvine can settled down his guns with Sefie!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-13-2007, 01:31 AM
I always thought that Squall and Selphie would be an interesting couple but I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who would disagree with me...I know Squall and Selphie are complete opposites but Squall and Rinoa are complete opposites too. Also I hate Zell, Seifer, Laguna, and Irvine so I choose the Squall/Selphie couple by default.:)

Dr. Acula
08-13-2007, 06:03 AM
ZELL AND SELPHIE MAKE THE CUTEST COUPLE EVAR!!!!

...Irvine goes with the pigtail girl anyway :mad2:

Holy macaroni! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! We think EXACTLY alike!

Aerith's Knight
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
i still like rinoa best.. dont know why.. its probably indoctrinated by the game, but she made me forget about selphie.. although shes cute.. with a huge temper.. so perfect for irvine.. too bad zell isnt compatible with quistis

one weird speculation though.. why are her nunchaku's more then half HER size? :P

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Have you guys noticed that Rinoa kind of looks like Tifa but with less cleavage?:)

Aerith's Knight
08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
she could have been a little more busty.. yes.. but i think she looks a lot different.. only the hair is the same

how bout cloud/squall : loner, ravenhaired and a mercenary(i mean cmon)

The Fat Bioware Nerd
08-16-2007, 05:15 AM
she could have been a little more busty.. yes.. but i think she looks a lot different.. only the hair is the same

how bout cloud/squall : loner, ravenhaired and a mercenary(i mean cmon)

Yeah I agree with you, Squall is kind of like the teenage version of Cloud...I think after Final Fantasy VIII Square wanted to mix it up a little bit and create a completely different main character personality-wise.