PDA

View Full Version : Networking - connecting Windows 98se to computers with newer operating systems

Big D
07-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi all.
There seem to be plenty of folks here who're good with networks and such, so I've got a problem that you might be able to help with.

There are four computers in my flat, all connected to the same router for internet access. The others are all running either Windows XP, or Vista. They can see each others' computers over the network and share files without hassle. I, however, am running Windows 98se, and can't access the network. Internet access is no problem, of course, but my computer doesn't even seem aware that the house's other computers exist, and can't see their resources. I think that the others can see my computer on the network, but can't connect to it in any other way.

So, to cut to the crux of the problem - how can I get my computer to work on the network within the flat?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

P.S. - 'flat' = shared rental property, in case you're unfamiliar with the term.

Peegee
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Just in case you are vigorously refreshing this page, I'll give you a quick and dirty explanation, then I will actually research to see if 98se (btw upgrade your computer) actually is incompatible or what-not.

When you are all on the same network, you may not be on the same 'workgroup' which is windoze' home network (if you ever worked at an office, you probably used a 'domain', or at school, they have domains).

All pcs have to be on the same workgroup to see each other. By default I think the workgroup is 'mshome' but double check that. If other pcs are on the same workgroup but not yours, it may be the issue of your operating system (98se), because a while back I tried to get windows server 2003 to see the XP workgroup, and it kept failing miserably.

My friend told me all sorts of technical mumble jumble about the cause of this, but the long and short of it was 'get a new OS because it's easier to fix one pc than to install server2k3 (or 98se) on every other pc'.

And now to check if I am correct....

edit: apparently you need to have some username setup going on in all of the networked pcs. A link:

Networking between WindowsXP and Windows95/98/ME (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html)

Baloki
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Another problem you may suffer is the XP computers can't have a description, the shares must be all lowercase and upto a max of (I think) 16 characters with no odd characters, numbers or spaces.

Networking between the two architectures is a little difficult I admit, but with some perseverence it is possible. Also try running the networking wizard on 98SE a few times, restarting after each try because it doesn't always save the settings.

Big D
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try to process and implement it when I've got more than a few minutes spare:)

It'd be nice if I could simply upgrade my hardware and OS, but that's simply not an option at the moment.

crono_logical
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Just upgrade your OS then, surely it can run Ubuntu at least :D

Mirage
07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
If you can run 98 SE, you should be able to run at least windows 2000. And XP can be stripped down to using the same amount of resources as 2000.

Big D
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
For the purposes of this exercise, it'd be best to pretend that I don't have the time, money or resources to upgrade my operating system. Because it's true.

Mirage
07-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Time: an hour, money: 0, :p

KasaiDraco
07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
try to get an XP system. they are like $400 now for a not as good system

Big D
07-13-2007, 03:10 AM
try to get an XP system. they are like $400 now for a not as good systemI don't have four hundred dollars, though.

What are the compatibility issues when trying to network between computers running Linux and Windows?

Dr Unne
07-13-2007, 03:13 AM
File/printer sharing? You'd probably be using <a href="http://us4.samba.org/samba/">Samba</a> in Linux. Depending largely on the Linux distro you use, Samba is not all that easy to set up even when all your Windows machines are already working properly. But you could also run an FTP server in Linux, or use SSH, or any number of other things. At least it gives you choices.

Baloki
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
File/printer sharing? You'd probably be using <a href="http://us4.samba.org/samba/">Samba</a> in Linux. Depending largely on the Linux distro you use, Samba is not all that easy to set up even when all your Windows machines are already working properly. But you could also run an FTP server in Linux, or use SSH, or any number of other things. At least it gives you choices.

Samba under SUSE was pretty easy to get working :( Took about 4 clicks...

Peegee
07-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Operating systems do not take an hour to set up.

General things to do when upgrading an OS or reinstalling it or whatever:

- OS install: 30-45 mins, maybe an hour for a slow system
- reinstall of network card drivers, sound card drivers, etc: 5-10 mins
- software reinstall: who knows how long -- takes me another hour literally, but I have a lot of software. I've shaved it down to 30 minutes by not installing some stuff that can be considered 'bloat'. Wee.

The point is (for Big D) is to play around with installing a network using the usual wizard nonsense that Windows requires (apparently you have to run the wizard or Windows will cry and not work) you to run. Hope you don't run into two computers (98 and XP) both trying to 'own' the network, and go from there.