PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better: FFXI or WOW

Albel
07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Well I was going to buy FFXI because final fantasy rules but alot of people told me the world of warcraft is a much better MMORPG, and its cheaper to pay forper month. So which one do you lot think is better??

demondude
07-10-2007, 09:07 PM
World of warcraft is so much better!

It has the largest player base in the world it totals up to about 13 million!

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
I've only played FFXI so I can't say n.n

Goldenboko
07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I've only played a month and a half of both, but I enjoyed FFXI more.

Araciel
07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
couldn' get into ff 11 so WoW it is

Laddy
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
WoW has too many n00b killers so everyone is a total ass to you until you're like, Lv. 30. FFXI has hardly anybody, so depends on how you like your gameplay.

Araciel
07-11-2007, 12:14 AM
WoW has too many n00b killers so everyone is a total ass to you until you're like, Lv. 30. FFXI has hardly anybody, so depends on how you like your gameplay.

which is why PvE is more aptly known as 'normal' and PvP is called PvP

Avarice-ness
07-11-2007, 12:16 AM
WoW hands down.
I bought FFXI and went like 3 days into the trial before I realized I couldn't stand it.

Timerk
07-11-2007, 12:21 AM
WoW is much more friendly to new and casual players, while FFXI caters more to the hardcore. With how mainstream video games have become, I think a game like WoW will always find a bigger audience, and I think if no one is playing your game, it can't be the best.

Bunny
07-11-2007, 12:28 AM

It is obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I have not played Final Fantasy XI. I have no interest in it and from what I have seen, we would not get along very well. World of Warcraft is very accepting and easily accessible therefore it is my choice in an ideal MMORPG.

ljkkjlcm9
07-11-2007, 12:30 AM
hmmm

PSU

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
World of warcraft is so much better!

It has the largest player base in the world it totals up to about 13 million!

Is that all you base your argument on? Numbers does not mean better.

Depends on your style of play. WoW is definitely (and I do mean definitely) orientied toward those gamers who are casual. The leveling is incredibly fast and quick-paced compared to FFXI; the game STARTS at 60 (well, now I guess it would be 70). FFXI is grueling and slow, but the work-->reward ratio for either game is approximately the same.

As for n00b killers, whoever said that WoW has a bunch of n00b killers clearly has not played Starcraft nor Diablo I or II in its prime. Learn youself some gaming competence, please.

I do, however, expect FFXI to be thrown off into the annals of forgotten gaming within two years. Making a numbered entry into the FF series an MMO was an incredibly bad call on Square's part. Or not.

Khaotic
07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Neither is better, until people realize there will always be someone who disagrees with you, the debate can never truthfully be answered. Play both and see which one you like more, that's the only way you'll get your answer. The opinion of someone else, or more than one person, doesn't matter.

I myself think WoW is too quest dependant, which I hate. I'm also not too fond of the way the battle system is.

FFXI I played for since US PC release, so I obviously like it.

I choose FFXI in this debate, but it doesn't mean you will like it more than WoW.

Jessweeee♪
07-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Everyone is so nice to newbs on the server I use in FFXI n.n

Shoeberto
07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
From a price standpoint FFXI is kinda screwy. You have to pay an extra buck a month to have extra characters and you don't get to pick which server you play on.

I know WoW has like a 10-day free trial if you just want to download it and try. I really enjoy playing it.

Madame Adequate
07-11-2007, 01:05 AM
FFXI is awesome if you have a good number of people to play with. But if you don't, you'll spend half your time trying to find a party, because soloing becomes impossible for most classes very quickly.

WoW you can get to level 70 without partying once, and do a fair few things once there without teaming up. It affords you far more freedom in what you do and when.

I personally prefer WoW.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-11-2007, 01:11 AM
From a price standpoint FFXI is kinda screwy. You have to pay an extra buck a month to have extra characters and you don't get to pick which server you play on.

I know WoW has like a 10-day free trial if you just want to download it and try. I really enjoy playing it.

You can pick what server you want to start on in FF XI now.

Ouch!
07-11-2007, 01:20 AM

I understand it that you can choose the server these days. (Too slow.) The pricing is right, though. At some point it becomes almost absolutely necessary to buy a second character as a mule to hold all the equipment you end up using. More characters aren't exactly necessary as one character can switch between jobs freely, but if you want to play different races, you've not much of a choice.

As many have said, it depends how much time you want to spend playing the game. You can get through most of WoW playing infrequently. FFXI is demanding from the get-go. End game for both is about the same--hell.

Laddy
07-11-2007, 02:33 AM

I have not played Final Fantasy XI. I have no interest in it and from what I have seen, we would not get along very well. World of Warcraft is very accepting and easily accessible therefore it is my choice in an ideal MMORPG.Well, I very well think I do. (I wasn'r referring to PvP, dammit!!!) In WoW, people only treat you like a human being if your higher level. I'm sick oif having experienced players wandering around me telling me what is wrong about my fighting style, how I need a better class, what skills I am using, and why I need new armor, It's annoying, I want to play without having some arrogant ass telling me what I need to do every five seconds or he'll bitch like crazy.

Tavrobel
07-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Well, I very well think I do. (I wasn'r referring to PvP, dammit!!!) In WoW, people only treat you like a human being if your higher level. I'm sick oif having experienced players wandering around me telling me what is wrong about my fighting style, how I need a better class, what skills I am using, and why I need new armor, It's annoying, I want to play without having some arrogant ass telling me what I need to do every five seconds or he'll bitch like crazy.

No, you don't know, since this is common and accepted behavior within ALL Blizzard games.

Grow a spine, and welcome to the internet.

KH-Cloudy
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
WoW all the way up for me. I don't own a copy of FFXI :P. WoW is much more fun when you have friends to help and play with you...atleast thats what I think..

Albel
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Well none of my friends have either games so it will be alot of solo action for me. And I already know there is alot of player killers in WoW, South Park even did an episode about it, but then every online game is going to have them. So I guess WoW would be a better choice.

Thank for your help.

Timerk
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Well none of my friends have either games so it will be alot of solo action for me. And I already know there is alot of player killers in WoW, South Park even did an episode about it, but then every online game is going to have them. So I guess WoW would be a better choice.

Thank for your help.

If you choose WoW, roll on a PvE sever. Then you won't have to worry about being griefed.

Laddy
07-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Well, I very well think I do. (I wasn'r referring to PvP, dammit!!!) In WoW, people only treat you like a human being if your higher level. I'm sick oif having experienced players wandering around me telling me what is wrong about my fighting style, how I need a better class, what skills I am using, and why I need new armor, It's annoying, I want to play without having some arrogant ass telling me what I need to do every five seconds or he'll bitch like crazy.

No, you don't know, since this is common and accepted behavior within ALL Blizzard games.

Grow a spine, and welcome to the internet.
I know it's a different opinion, but in games like LOTRO and GW, I don't have to deal with asses like that, it dwindles down the experience, and WoW is too simplistic, anyway.

Bunny
07-11-2007, 05:47 PM

I have not played Final Fantasy XI. I have no interest in it and from what I have seen, we would not get along very well. World of Warcraft is very accepting and easily accessible therefore it is my choice in an ideal MMORPG.Well, I very well think I do. (I wasn'r referring to PvP, dammit!!!) In WoW, people only treat you like a human being if your higher level. I'm sick oif having experienced players wandering around me telling me what is wrong about my fighting style, how I need a better class, what skills I am using, and why I need new armor, It's annoying, I want to play without having some arrogant ass telling me what I need to do every five seconds or he'll bitch like crazy.

I have never once encountered a single person that does anything that you have listed here. Way to judge a game by the people that play it. Gameplay =/= Social Interaction.

Obsidian
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
In my experience, WoW is much more fun and FFXI was much more... Final Fantasy-y. >_>;

If these two games were combined, I would probably be able to stand playing past level 18.

Discord
07-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Definitely WoW. FFXI is nice and has some interesting features, like getting special abilities from your furniture, but it's grinding system is quite a bit more annoying that the quest-grinding system of WoW.

bipper
07-11-2007, 06:44 PM

I have never once encountered a single person that does anything that you have listed here. Way to judge a game by the people that play it. Gameplay =/= Social Interaction.

The genre of MMORPGs can be criticized on their community. especially with the basic ease of WoW, and the greaphical appeal to young teens, it is no wonder so many young adults play the game. Though, the community differers radically based on what server you are on. Alleria, for instance, is full of asshatted 1337ists who will tell you what to do, and ignorantly claim that a pally (with leet spec #69) is a better healer (any spec) than a preist, when they both have their clear advantages.
Like I say though, the cliques differ per realm, and area.

Though, Night elves are always narcissistic 13371575. Blanket statements for the win.

It is what you get, when you do not have to depend on pick up groups to do well. Where as in XI, you encounter an older and more patient demographic, which does actually make PUGs (pick up groups) more doable, and a lot better as characters are used to filling different roles.

Either way, my vote Goes for WOW, for various different reasons. Mainly cause I havn;t the time for FFXI, anymore.

Rostum
07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
My vote goes to FFXI. Simply because it was the first MMORPG that I had seriously played, and for 3 or so years. Actually, the only reason I left is because of my time zone and the fact that I have more responsibility in my life now.

I have tried WoW, and have real life friends that play it. But I could never bring myself to get past level 40 -- I got bored very quickly and found that leveling in an exp party (FFXI) beats quests and solo grinding any day.

That and I had a lot more friends, especially in end-game, on FFXI over the years with a lot of fond memories.

Markus. D
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM

1000 at least per server means alot.

Just a smaller base where people have learned to get along.

And both game's game play aren't based on quantity.

WoW's gameplay has people obtaining Skills and using them differantly based on Talent Specs for customization and instancing pwnage.

FFXI is probably like the more traditional FFXI but ~BETTER~ (it has weapon skills <3 among many other better things)... unfortunately though people thought it was boring because you don't press attack "each go..."... and that in the beginning (until about level 15-20 for most melee characters) don't get much to do... But a little later you become a one man four party membered rawr machine~

With personal experience of WoW's level 60 endgame (havent bothered with the level 70 areas... yet)... and playing FFXI for over 2 years (;_;).

I can say that FFXI is the better of the 2 (even though WoW has some nice elements of it's own and is more polished) because it has a storyline later in-game (they have also apparently WAY lowered the difficulty of Chains of Promathia... which sounds fun :D!) and even though it took the game awhile to become playable by non-me types (4 and a half years -_-)... it's definetly over-shining :]!

ps: play none... you will lose your life to at least one *runs*.

Carl the Llama
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
well heres the thing, I have played both game and found World of Warcraft to be the better of the two by far.

In Final Fantasy XI my first visit to windy I did a /shout saying: Could someone please tell me where the Sandy Consult was. I got no reply so I shouted it again and this time I got a reply saying:

Him: I know where it is
Me: could you tell me please
Him: go look for it yourself

obviously this smeged me right off but I didnt respond to his childish ways... this was just one of many things that irritated me. Another thing was I (a WHM/BLM) got a party in the Valkurm Dunes (normally a fun experence for WHM cause I get to learn my skills properly) and the leader was a DRK/WAR and after inviteing me and a friend into the party (a NIN/WAR) he then preceded to say "I am going to tank ok" at which point I told him that he didnt stand much of a chance as a tank as DRK are DD's not tanks and he said if you dont like it then tough at which point I was getting very smegged off so away we went and the first thing we pull was a a VT fly and the DRK did voke and then precedded to get beaten to a pulp (but not dead) and I ended up useing up all my mp so I sit down and use a cookie at which point the RNG goes and pulls again - at the DRK's instruction and me with about 10-15% mp I said no dont... but at that point it was far to late RNG brins in another fly and the party ends up wiped out... and all this I could have delt with but then that idiot then decides to blame me.... big mistake I told him the error of his ways and told him (and everyone else at Valkurm what a complete noob he was (and everyone in the party left him and we made a new party that had no problem fighting what-so-ever.

The situation I have discribed to you is just one of many many things I had to deal with when playing Final Fantasy XI, nothing like this has ever happened to me whilest playing wow and just before I took a break from wow I got a PUG to the Molten Core and tbh it was one of the best groups iv ever been in, we even managed to take down Ragnaros (or whatever his name was) to which I got a pair of t2 legs... if you ask me to many people are way to elitest in FFXI with World of Warcraft I had a much better experence not only because of the excelent UI which is fully customiseable with mods but has a great community, no one has ever told me what I should have equiped and I have never had any trouble getting a party to an Instance infact on the second day of my playing I had a Warrior take me all the way though the Deadmines and allowed me to keep everything we found.

just incase you havnt got what iv been saying
World of warcraft Owns!!!