PDA

View Full Version : E3 2007: Mario Kart for the Wii!

Crossblades
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
IGN: E3 2007: Not Your Father's Mario Kart (http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803351p1.html)

At their E3 2007 press conference, Nintendo announced Mario Kart for Wii. The game will launch Q1 2008 and will take advantage of the Wii's online capabilities, allowing online versus play.

The demonstration during the conference showed Mario Kart running on tracks from Mario Kart DS. After announcing that the game would release next year, Nintendo showed off a new Wii peripheral, the Wii Wheel. The Wii Wheel looks to us exactly like the wheel attachment made available by Ubisoft last year. The Wii Wheel will be packaged with Mario Kart Wii when it releases in 2008.

Check our E3 Wii index for continued Nintendo updates from E3 2007.

Slothy
07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I utterly despise Double Dash so it's going to take more than the announcement of online play to make me care about this. I'll wait until I hear more/play it for myself to really decide if it's worth it. Hopefully Nintendo can make a new Mario Kart that's as much fun as the original and MK64, because I'd honestly love to fall in love with the series again.

KentaRawr!
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Personally, I liked Double Dash's stage design, and though the Kart's generally felt weird, it was good to see that the Kart's actually required some skill to drive.

I personally liked the feel of the DS version the best, but that may be hard to keep in this version, as they can't just go with the lack of Analog control, especially considering that it's coming with a steering-wheel accessory.

I wonder though if the ability to switch Kart's will return independent of the character? Or perhaps, the character, rather than deciding the Kart selection based on weight (as seen in Double Dash), one will be able to choose any Kart they wish (as in DS), with the Character's weight affecting the acceleration.

XxSephirothxX
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Double Dash was absolutely great on 150cc, especially with two players--having a guy in the back while you drove was so much fun. It really deserved to have online play. The stages were great, too.

I have a feeling we'll be getting similar customization to the DS title with this one and 16 player online. Hopefully they'll add a bunch of the old courses back and throw in a good number of new ones. With an online title, you can never have too many courses to race. I just hope that little Wii wheel doesn't totally suck. I'd like to see a 200cc added as well, but maybe that's a bit too much for Mario Kart. :p

Shlup
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
DD is the only Mario Kart I actually like and am good at.

The video wont load for me though. *kick*

demondude
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Cool I might buy it when it comes out :greenie:

Craig
07-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Double Dash is amazing. I'll definately get this, although I hope you can play with a classic controller if you get tired of the wheel.

Shoeberto
07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Hopefully they won't hype up the idea of online play and then pull the plug on it before release to focus on the single player.