PDA

View Full Version : Readingggg~

Jess
07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
I rarely read nowadays because I never really make time for it. I haven't bought a book in like, ever -- but today I bought Steven Gerrards autobiography.

What was the last book you bought? How often do you read?

Zeldy
07-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I can't even remember what the last book I read was. I have very little patience with reading :p

Khaotic
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
James and the Giant Peach.

Years and years and years ago.

I Took the Red Pill
07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I think the last book I actually bought was A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I don't read as much as I used to, but I try to make time for it.

Tallulah
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I bought a Thai cookbook and Volume 2 of Fruits Basket manga last.

Black Angel
07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I last bought New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. I read it in two days. ^^;

louby_4eva
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
The last book I bought was years ago, but I read all the time. I recently had three James Herbert books bought for me, and I borrow my boyfriends books. Right now I'm reading a book by Ian Irvine, I've read 6 of the books in this series in the last six months. I find it hard to make time to read, but when I do have the time I will read for hours. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

cloud21zidane16
07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
the last book i bought was harry potter and the half-blooded prince, that was ages ago and even then i rarely read books,and i still havent finished it.:p

Resha
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I bought three books last week :O I love buying books, and I do so every month, every fortnight, even. It's true I don't have very much time to read sometimes, but I intend to read LOTS over this summer. :-) I hate not being able to read some, even if only a little everyday.

Miriel
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
This past week I bought and read Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford and Children of Hurin by Tolkien, edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Heat was a wonderful read. Very funny, and it gives a great glimpse at the world of professional cooks and kitchens. I had no idea that Mario Batali liked to down 12 bottles of wine, swear like a sailor and rummage through garbage cans. But I can totally dig it. One of those rare books that entertains and informs at the same time. I could read this book over and over again.

Children of Hurin was a very fast read, I finished it in a few hours. But I didn't feel like it offered up that much more than what was already told in The Silmarillion. It was ok but I doubt I'll read it again.

XxSephirothxX
07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I bought The Dark Tower about two weeks ago. Started it last night. I read for a couple hours a day when I was a kid, but don't nearly as much now that I'm older. But I did pick up somewhat my first year in college, and this summer I've read the first six books of the Dark Tower series, which I would consider a lot.

Hambone
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
The Final Fantasy PSP Strategy Guide.

Northcrest
07-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Gosh I hate reading the last time I read a real book was during school about 2 months ago. The book was called Among the Free.

Hambone
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Gosh I hate reading the last time I read a real book was during school about 2 months ago. The book was called Among the Free.

You only hate it because you can't, Joseph. :p

Northcrest
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM

At least I have a better excuse than "I read my Final Fantasy Strategy Guide" :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Hambone
07-12-2007, 10:34 PM

At least I have a better excuse than "I read my Final Fantasy Strategy Guide" :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

How is that an excuse?

Northcrest
07-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Your just trying to put up something to cover up that you don't read that often.

Hambone
07-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh no, I feel so insecure. You've exposed my weak point! :bigsmile:

Sergeant Hartman
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
The last book I ever read was how to learn the alphabet.

oddler
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
The last reading material I bought for myself was the set of The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. I plan on getting the Harry Potter set soon just to see what the fuss is about.

I don't read very often, though. I've got to be in the mood for it, I guess.

Rye
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I think I read more than anything else. I make it a point that I read a book every day, unless I'm really busy. I have a very long list of books I want, half of them being the list of important classics, the other half just books that I'm interested in.

I'm also on a read 100 books in a year challenge. I'm going at it a little slow, even though I read more than anyone else I know. ;[ But I've been trying to make up for it. I'm only up to 40 at the moment, 3 of those being currently readings. But I have a feeling having money due to finally get a job, and going into AP English will change that. xD

I have recently read World War Z by Max Brooks, which is one of the best books I have ever read, The Nanny Diaries by Emma Mclaughlin and Nicola Kraus, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakmi, who is one of my favorite authors, and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (to brush up before Deathly Hallows), Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison for AP English, The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer, also for AP English, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

I am completely out of room on my bookshelf already, and we just bought it a few months ago! :bigsmile:

Burtsplurt
07-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm reading 'Zodiac' by Robert Graysmith. The film intrigued me, and I'd really like to know more - I think unsolved mysteries are pretty exciting.

I used to read loads more than I do now - mainly 20th century literature. Now I read maybe a book every few months, which is terrible. I remember my dad used to read at a really slow pace - he never showed much interest - and it used to really annoy me. I thought, and still do, that people who don't read are missing out on a really interesting part of life! Er, and now I am, which sucks.

Jessweeee♪
07-13-2007, 02:03 AM
The last book I actually bought was New Moon. I almost never read during the summer, but during the school year I read as much as a book a day. Unfortunately, I don't think our school's library has one complete series. They'll have Book 1 and Book 3, but they'll be missing Book 2. It's really annoying when I finish a book and I realize there's going to be a continuation of it.

Rengori
07-13-2007, 02:10 AM
The last book I bought... Does a book with a bunch of different guitar chord diagrams count? If it doesn't, than it was 1984, like a year ago.

Freya
07-13-2007, 02:16 AM
I just bought The Lunatic Cafe and The Demon Soul. Both are parts of series, the lunatic cafe is part of the anita blake series of vampires and such and the demon soul is a warcraft book. And I have the next Harry potter reserved. All for my trip to europe so my flights dont get too boring.

Faris
07-13-2007, 02:17 AM
I recently bought a few yoga books so that I don't have to keep going to the internet to find positions. I usually read when I'm in the mood to.

cloud21zidane16
07-13-2007, 02:20 AM
i read enough dialouge story from final fantasy:D i cant be asked to do more reading once i turn that off:rolleyes2

Araciel
07-13-2007, 02:27 AM
i always have one or more books on the go. at the moment i'm reading 'the truth' by terry pratchett

Iceglow
07-13-2007, 03:41 AM
I last brought a book by George R. R. Martin it was the second book in the series, "A song of fire and ice" the book is called "A Clash of Kings" and is quite thick I used to read a few hours every day as a kid now I buy books normally in batches as I read massive books with 700/1000+ pages in days at times the biggest book I ever read in 24 hours was 900 pages or so long. I love reading and not only does it keep me occupied (to the extent of sleep deprivation/starvation/dehydration/anti-social hermit syndrome) it helps me with ideas for my own writing wether for the game I work on or just stories I write. You can NEVER read too much the improvement to your vocabulary even when you believe you know it all is simply amazing.

Oh and I noticed a few very good books and authors mentioned here, Ian Irvine = fantastic which series, the view through the looking glass or the well of echoes? Also The Truth was one of my favourite discworld novels :D I'm sure there were others but these 2 stuck in my head.

Rocket Edge
07-13-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm reading ' Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince', by JK Rowling for the umpteenth time. I said i'd read it before the 7th one drops.

The last book I bought was the autobiography of Paul McGrath. It was brilliant.

Meat Puppet
07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I read a book, and then I try to read another when I’m finished that one. I’m pretty casual about it, though.
The last book I bought would be Needful Things by Stephen King. It was at one of those weird book fairs that was raising money for straw hats or something.

loony bob

Rengori
07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Nevermind, I forgot I got a Nirvana biography a long time ago because I needed something not boring for a book report.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
The last book(s) I received were the Dragonlance Annotated Chronicles and Dating for Dummies (which I apparently need, I can't imagine why :p ). The last book I bought with my own money was, I believe the 8th volume of the manga Genshiken.

Cz
07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't read very much anymore. It's been a while since I really engaged with a book, and so I'm not as keen to pick up new titles. The last thing I read was Isaac Asimov's Foundation series a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't really warm to that either. I do intend to pick up a couple of biographies in the week, but I don't think I'll be reading any more fiction in the near future, besides the new Harry Potter book.

Resha
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
The last three books I bought were Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), Dubliners (James Joyce) & Tess of D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy). The week before THAT, I bought Mrs. Dalloway (Virginia Woolf), David Copperfield (Charles Dickens), The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) and Don Quixote (Cervantes).

I spend an awful lot of my money on books. I just -- cannot -- go into a bookstore and not buy something. It makes me feel sick coming out empty-handed. I actually feel sick.

Rye
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
The last three books I bought were Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte), Dubliners (James Joyce) & Tess of D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy). The week before THAT, I bought Mrs. Dalloway (Virginia Woolf), David Copperfield (Charles Dickens), The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) and Don Quixote (Cervantes).

I spend an awful lot of my money on books. I just -- cannot -- go into a bookstore and not buy something. It makes me feel sick coming out empty-handed. I actually feel sick.

God, me too. When I found 100 dollars a few weeks ago, I spent it almost completely on a ton of books. xD

Iceglow
07-13-2007, 07:35 PM

Now Dubliners is a terrible book I had to study it for A-level english it sucked so much I had trouble writing my essays not because it was particulary hard to write them but it was boring as hell almost nothing happens in any of the short stories in there. I think it's entirely overrated (as is most James Joyce unfortunately) and since we could have done our course on Frank Herberts Dune or Bram Stokers Dracula I was entirely gutted that we had to do that book.

Next books I intend on buying are:

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows ~ JK Rowling
A feast for the crows ~ George R R Martin (a song of fire and ice book 4)
Of Fire and night ~ Kevin J Anderson (Saga of the seven suns book 5)

those are the ones I HAVE to buy there'll be others that just catch my eye.

Tavrobel
07-13-2007, 07:57 PM
The Essential Calvin and Hobbes.

Suffice it to say, it eclipses all of the books thus far mentioned in this thread combined.

I also purchased The Children of Húrin recently, and as far as reading goes, pretty often.

Old Manus
07-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I usually only read the paper, but the last book I read was The Alphabet of Manliness (not that I need instructions on manliness :shifty:).

Fonzie
07-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Don't expect me to be logged on for a couple days after July 21st. :mog:

Rocket Edge
07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Now Dubliners is a terrible book I had to study it for A-level english it sucked so much I had trouble writing my essays not because it was particulary hard to write them but it was boring as hell almost nothing happens in any of the short stories in there. I think it's entirely overrated (as is most James Joyce unfortunately)
James Joyce's literature is almost too hard to get. Although I actually found Dubliners to be quite good, and I liked some of his stuff in school.

rubah
07-13-2007, 09:38 PM
I haven't bought a book in a while. I guess it might be the last series of unfortunate events book.

I've gotten quite a few books off of bookmooch.com though, the latest one was a UK harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban paperback.

Right now I'm reading that, the second Dark Tower book, and Thud! by terry pratchett. Also a book by Christopher Pike.

I like to start books and not necessarily finish them xD.

Oh yeah, I'm in the middle of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance too!.

Don't expect me to be logged on for a couple days after July 21st.

Is it going to take you that long to recooperate? it couldn't possibly take that long to read!

Rye
07-13-2007, 10:42 PM
I would be more concerned about logging on BEFORE the 21st, because I'm scared of surprise spoilers on the intertubes. :[

rubah
07-14-2007, 02:10 AM
that kind of spoilers they arrest you for, rye :p because it means that you just thwarted scholastic and bloombury and those big publishing houses don't like that.

Marluxiaswife
07-14-2007, 04:14 AM
I read my stories, and read me and my friends role play ones too :p

I like reading Manga, Pretear and Sailor Moon :tongue:

kikimm
07-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I think the last book I bought with MY OWN money was Heavier Than Heaven. Which I'm reading right now. Oh no wait the last book I bought was that Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel thing.

I try to read a lot. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood, cause I'm too restless to sit there for a long time, or the book isn't captivating enough. But it's only of my only hobbies, and I do enjoy it immensely. I guess I read about 2-4 books a month. :drool:

WepKey
07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
i reed lot of buks becuse I luve to go to the lybrary. Thare are lots of buks to reed their when your board. I red a buk about a cat that wunted to take over the wurld, but a mouse and his frend stopped him befure he could take the cristul from the tower of darknass. at the end the cat fall from the tower of darknass to it is dead.

Jojee
07-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I re-read the Dark Elf Trilogy recently. And by recently I mean in one plane trip o.x

rubah
07-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I reread harry potter and the half blood prince in about seven hours last night. I think that's faster than I read it the first time x.x;;; Definitely going to be in good shape for deathly hallows.

Leeza
07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
*moves to The Lounge*

The last book I bought was Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I didn't read it yet though because I'm currently reading all of the Deathnotes. I'm on Book 8 at the moment.

Shoeberto
07-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't remember the last book I bought, mostly because I don't see much of a point in buying them when there's a perfectly good library nearby.

(not that I'm that avid of a reader; I like to do it but I'm awful about setting aside time for it)

The last book I read was Neuromancer. I loved it.

Heath
07-15-2007, 07:12 PM
The last books I bought were The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and A Spot of Bother both by Mark Haddon. Currently reading the first of those. £3.70-odd for the two of them from Asda. Bargain.

~*~Celes~*~
07-15-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't buy books, as I'm always poor, but my parents buy them for me. Some recent purchases: Schindler's List (I forget who wrote the novel), WOT book #11: Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, and Mythology: Timeless Tales of gods and Heroes by Edith Hamilton.

Germ Hamee
07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I wish I could say that I read just as much as I buy books. Unfortunately, that's not true at all. I have shelves upon shelves stuffed full of books I haven't read. I can't keep up with my spending habits. It usually takes me several months to finish one book.

The last book I bought was Robin Hobb's (I know I never shut up about her, but this book JUST came out so stfu) Renegade's Magic. I also bought Michael Crichton's State of Fear, and The Historian by I Dunno Who.

Proxy
07-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Sun Tzu - Art of War
Pretty good read, and I'm somewhat getting into a new Tolkien book. But his are slow to start.