PDA

View Full Version : Wings of the Goddess

Yeargdribble
07-12-2007, 08:07 PM
FFXIclopedia Preview (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Wings_of_the_Goddess_E3_Preview) with lots of pictures.

Recent Interview (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161097)

Latest Trailer (http://www.gamespot.com/video/939477/6174220/final-fantasy-xi-wings-of-the-goddess-official-trailer-1)

Can't believe nobody has made a thread about this yet. Let me give the highlights.

First of all, if you don't know, WoG takes place in the past around the time of the Crystal War.

Two mobs. (I'm hotlinking like a bad man, so I'll re-up if needed)

Ochu
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/images/0/02/MonsterB.jpg

Basilisk type
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/images/f/f9/MonsterA.jpg

Also among the FFXIclopedia pics you will see current areas as they looked in the past.

The trailer just shows tiny tidbits of the areas in motion with some new music.

What seems to be of most interest to people is the announcement that there will be new jobs (confirmed more than one here (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2007/071107c.html)). So let the discussion and speculation begin.

Crossblades
07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
My guess is that the new jobs will be a Geomancer, Onion Knight, and a Sage.

Miriel
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
DANCER, PLEASE!

I just want a pretty job. Don't care what the job does, just gimme PRETTY.

I'm actually really surprised that they're releasing new jobs in the next expansion. Pleasantly surprised though.

Yeargdribble
07-13-2007, 12:16 AM
I think most people are surprised considering the lack of polish on ToAU and its jobs.

I think Dancer could be a viable alternative to the BRD dependence in the game. I'm not sure how they could make Chemist work with Alchemy and all, but if they could manage it, it could also help with the number of potential healers. I'd personally most like to see Geomancer. Some have also mentioned Time Mage considering the them of the expansion.

I'm all for any of those. Another tank wouldn't hurt either, though I'd prefer they stick with traditional FF jobs rather than pull a stunt like WTFPUP again. At least if they do pull some random job out of their nether region, I hope they take steps to keep it from sucking horribly.

Del Murder
07-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Geomancer and Chemist! Maybe someone from SE read my thread from a while back and will do it just like I laid it out!

Markus. D
07-14-2007, 02:08 AM
My guess is that the new jobs will be a Geomancer, Onion Knight, and a Sage.

Sage~

Doubt it.

No.78
07-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Geomancer would be awesome, but they've harnessed alot of weather related elements into summoner n stuff so in my eyes it's unlikely. Time Mage seems to be the most logical, if it doesn't come now it probably never will... But, I don't see how Time Mage would work in FFXI.

Chemist, now that would be good! Also, the job I've always wanted to see in the game is Mime.

Khaotic
07-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Geomancer would be awesome, but they've harnessed alot of weather related elements into summoner n stuff so in my eyes it's unlikely. Time Mage seems to be the most logical, if it doesn't come now it probably never will... But, I don't see how Time Mage would work in FFXI.

Chemist, now that would be good! Also, the job I've always wanted to see in the game is Mime.

Basically a RDM type, I'd give them Gravity, Refresh(yeah yeah I know, quit whining) Regen, Haste, Haste II, and some new spell which enhances movement speed for a set amount of time(this would be the spell they're popular for, sort of like a BLM and their warping) although it would cost like 100mp so it can't be used over and over.

I think I may come back if they add a Geomancer or a Chemist.

Garland
07-17-2007, 05:42 AM
I figure Chemist would round out the gil-for-exp jobs. With a combination of job specific potions and maybe even some blm spell items that were common in single player FFs, the Chemist could be a pay-to-cast. We have a Pay-to-tank, pay-to-dd, and a pay-to-support, so this really is the last niche left, unless they split magery into white and black.

Geomancer is number one on most fanpick polls in both Japan and the west, so I can't see any reason why SE wouldn't include it. The world of FFXI is already massively intertwined with elemental affinities for everything.

Time Mage fits the premise of the new storyline. People say it'd be redundant with White and Red Mage, but Red Mage is already redundant with White and Black, and Summoner is largely redundant with White and Black, and all of the melees are redundant with one another. Who cares about being redundant? Time Mage could be a unique take on support jobs. Also, we have yet to have a mage with an A rank enhancing skill - a counterpart to Rdm. Hopefully SE wouldn't make "Time Magic" its own skill.

Del Murder
07-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Which one is pay-to-support?

Garland
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Corsair - they're pretty much bards that shoot. I vaguelly remember some debate when the job was first released as to whether they were more bard than ranger or vice versa, but apparently bard won. In fact, they're treated like bard so much, that their potential is wasted. Parties sending them out to pull like bards in merit parties when they should be spending that time keeping their roll timings correct, then they end up subbing ninja, and then they lose all their /rng perks, and then corsair becomes a lackluster job that noone plays. It's remarkably unpopular on Quetzalcoalt, despite the internet's apparent fetish with all things pirate and ninja.

Yeargdribble
07-17-2007, 08:08 PM
That's just one of the bigger problems with FFXI. I can't put my finger on the exact reason, but I think it's a combination of the players and the design of the jobs. Every job gets pigeonholed, and even if a job can be useful in another way, it is never given the chance.

There are a lot of jobs and most of them are DDs with absolutely zero other options. BLU could potentially play a more mage-like role, but almost never will. SMN could play a DD role, but very very rarely does. Why? Partly because there are other jobs that fill these roles better. So with XP being such as grind as it is, people want efficiency.

I fear for the new jobs. They will either have to be game breaking to replace another jobs as the #1 in a certain area --in which case the old job is screwed-- or they will become second rate versions of the old job the way COR is just a second-rate BRD even though it could easily function in a much stronger capacity given the chance more frequently.

As for Geomancer, it's obviously the top pick... but I keep hearing how it can't work. I'm actually hoping SE will just bite the bullet and find a way to make it work, though I can see the potential problems that people point out.

What I think the game really needs is another tank, another healer and maybe another support job. Of course we all want the tradition Geomancer, which is just a DD... totally something we don't need. Chemist could potentially fill the healing role. Dancer could fill a support role. I'm not sure what traditional job could fill the tank role. There's just not a lot of strength in that area. I hear Viking, Mystic Knight and even Gladiator get tossed around. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Siegfried
07-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I know this sounds foolish but I think berserker would be a cool job...
they get abilities that raise attack and lower defense and use 2-handed axes...it sounds too much like war but they could mix in some other stuff that would add more to it than War

Miriel
07-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey, so, like... wouldn't it be awesome to have a job that was super cute and had frills and lovely costumes and involved lots and lots of pretty pretty pretty? Yeeeeeaaaaah.

Garland
07-18-2007, 02:04 AM
A lot of the community's skepticism about Geomancer is something like this: "What good would earth based spells do against earth based mobs in Altepa?", for example. They assume that Geomancer spells will cause damage in the same element as the region. This doesn't have to be so. Blms and Nins both have spells of one element that affect the enemy in another element. The Elemental DoT spells, and the ninjutsu elemental wheel come to mind. It would be foolish to have Geomancer casting earth spells against anticans and worms, for example, but surely SE would realize this. They make mistakes now and then, but usually in terms of understanding the mentality of the playerbase, not in effective game mechanics. They'd never release a job that could only cast spells potential opponents would be strong to. I imagine Geomancer spells would work like the Ele DoTs - doing effects based on some element related or opposed to the current element somehow.

Del Murder
07-18-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm thinking Green Mage as another support job. They could have all the enhancing magics, plus a few unique ones that will set them apart. Like spells that enhance stats of party members, basically Bard stuff but using magic instead of songs. Also maybe they'd even get Regain, I'm sure DDs would love that.

Siegfried
07-18-2007, 03:58 AM
I would also really like gender based jobs, ya'know?
Like something pretty...

Laddy
07-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Green Mage is cool. Maybe a Mime?

Miriel
07-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I would also really like gender based jobs, ya'know?
Like something pretty...

Yeeeeees.

eternalshiva
07-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Did you read the part where mobs can actually go extinct? ;p that sounds fun.

nozkits
07-23-2007, 06:34 AM
I think most people are surprised considering the lack of polish on ToAU and its jobs.

I think Dancer could be a viable alternative to the BRD dependence in the game. I'm not sure how they could make Chemist work with Alchemy and all, but if they could manage it, it could also help with the number of potential healers. I'd personally most like to see Geomancer. Some have also mentioned Time Mage considering the them of the expansion.

I'm all for any of those. Another tank wouldn't hurt either, though I'd prefer they stick with traditional FF jobs rather than pull a stunt like WTFPUP again. At least if they do pull some random job out of their nether region, I hope they take steps to keep it from sucking horribly.
alternative to BRD. I can't let this happen!! I can't have competition. Us BRDs have a great monopoly going for us.

Did you read the part where mobs can actually go extinct? ;p that sounds fun.
That will be sweet as now we can start having environmental linkshells on FF11.

Markus. D
07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, so, like... wouldn't it be awesome to have a job that was super cute and had frills and lovely costumes and involved lots and lots of pretty pretty pretty? Yeeeeeaaaaah.

Taru Corsair :3?

._.?

Siegfried
07-25-2007, 04:20 AM
How about dual wielding shields?

Markus. D
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Shield WSs D:

UltimateSpamGrover
08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Here is some more info about Wings of the Goddess:

FFXIClopedia's Interview at E3 with S-E about Wings of the Goddess. (http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?t=5032)

Allakhazam's Interview at E3 with S-E about Wings of the Goddess. (http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/sdetail.html?story=10045)

1UP Interview at E3 with S-E about Wings of the Goddess. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161097)

I'm also talking with a real life friend of mine to go to the Fan Festival with me in November. We'll see how that turns out and I'll post informattion and pictures if I can go. XD

strawberryman
08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Maybe a Mime?

:love:

What really seems interesting to me about this expansion, or what it looks like to me, is the time travel back to Crystal War times. Something Besieged-like but in a larger area like Batallia or Sauromugue would be awesome. Even moreso with actual need for tactics instead of running around looking for something to hit.

Anyhow, that's my opinion on it.

chionos
08-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Since nobody mentioned it, Time Mage would obviously have Hastega. Some other possibilities: a Quick type spell that could reset the timer on spells/abilities(already have this w/ corsair too);would have Slow 1, 2, and possibly even 3 at high levels or as a merit spell; I think Regain is a good idea for Time Mage too; Comet; Reflect possibly; and the most important thing that I personally would do w/ a Time Mage would give it a Teleport-like spell that ties into the past, there's a portal to get to the past, so this Teleport would take the party directly to the portal, both in the past and in the present.

NECROMANCER, a beastmaster that specializes in undead. There's all kinds of things that SE could do w/ a Necromancer, and I personally would love it. I also think it could fit well into WotG. You obtain abilities/spells for specific mob types in the past by killing them, then use their dead spirits in the future as 'pets'. And I dunno about an all-out charm for skeletons and fomor, but the necro could have an ability that puts the undead to sleep(a true death or something) that they come out of after a time.

I hope for a tank, but I can't imagine what SE could possibly do to make a tank that's original and not just a clone of warrior paladin or ninja. Maybe a necromancer type job could tank w/ a mix of abilities including something like "Turn Undead" which basically turns the pc undead for a limitied time, or spells like Transmogrification or Mind Wall like mammets have. Transmog absorbs all physical dmg, and mind wall absorbs all offensive magic.

Del Murder
08-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if a Time Mage could teleport you to the same exact spot but in the past? Or maybe past versions of the crags.

The Mog Ninja
08-19-2007, 02:56 PM

NAH

Doc Sark
08-31-2007, 08:39 AM
I really like the idea of a Time Mage! I would certainly give that class a go. A Necromancer would be good too actually, I always played that class in Diablo 2 just so I could have an entourage of wiblets following me about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing has been announced yet, regarding jobs? Given the game is due out in November, you would expect some confirmation soonish...I hope!

Del Murder
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
The thought is that the new jobs will be revealed at the fan fest.

Yeargdribble
09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
They most likely will only reveal one job at a time to keep everyone foaming at the mouth a little longer.

I only read a little into it, but apparently according to some JP magazine being discussed on another forum, there was hinting at Time Mage, which fits pretty well with the theme of the expansion.

Del Murder
09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
At first I thought Time Mage would be redundant, but thinking about it more there are some good abilities it could have. They fill a role of support that is still in demand even with Cor coming in the last expansion.

My guess: Geomancer, Time Mage, Chemist. I think all three could work well and be unique. But i wouldn't put it past SE to go with some random off the wall job.

Rostum
09-03-2007, 01:14 AM
But i wouldn't put it past SE to go with some random off the wall job.

Yeah, Puppetmaster was pretty random. Time mage would be awesome.

Ouch!
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
I try not to pay too much attention to this game simply because I don't want to be dragged back into it. Somehow, I feel as though rejoining is almost inevitable, especially when OSX Leopard comes out and I can easily dual-boot with Boot Camp.

Time Mage would be flippin' (damn filters) freakin' sweet.

UltimateSpamGrover
09-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Atomos is in the game! What role he plays in FFXI WoTG we dont know. Maybe he is the portal....?

Markus. D
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I want the Illusionist :[... or in some kinda Monster form.

UltimateSpamGrover
10-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Cait Sith is also pictured in the trailer if you look near the Paladin at the Atomos scene.

No.78
10-01-2007, 11:14 PM
No ones mentioned Dancer yet?

... New job Dancer.

Yep.

Del Murder
10-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Uh, there's a thread on it.

Ouch!
10-02-2007, 02:58 AM
I've heard SE was saying that the expansion will introduce a new hub-city like Jeuno and Whitegate. How nifty would it be if that new hub-city is full-access Tavnazia?

Rostum
10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
If they wanted to improve this game with the expansion, they'd remove the need to spend 6 hour sessions in :skull::skull::skull::skull:-boring end game events -- that if you miss a couple of days, most people would kick you out of their shell!

How horrible, stupid end game, how I loathe thee!

Ouch!
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
If they wanted to improve this game with the expansion, they'd remove the need to spend 6 hour sessions in :skull::skull::skull::skull:-boring end game events -- that if you miss a couple of days, most people would kick you out of their shell!

How horrible, stupid end game, how I loathe thee!
GL told me they already have.

No.78
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing old Jeuno!

Markus. D
10-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Only if it has the pretty Jeuno theme :3

Mirage
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
The jeuno theme is so annoying. And don't even get me started on Ru'lude gardens.

Del Murder
10-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I like the Christmas Jeuno theme.

Markus. D
10-07-2007, 11:48 PM
The jeuno theme is so annoying. And don't even get me started on Ru'lude gardens.

Ru'lude's theme is awful >_<