PDA

View Full Version : I hate my computer at times...

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
So the other night, like always my computer automatically updated Windows. Since, I was off busy in the living room it eventually installed said updates and restarted. So when I log on next time, guess what happens? MSN doesn't work. I tried repairing it, uninstalling-reinstalling it and a system restore to a point before the update. The system restore did a funky thing to my taskbar adding this toolbar space with nothing in it. So if you have solution for these specific problems, please feel free to tell me. I will try later to do a spyware/adware/virus scan as well to see if it will help.

Also, no I do not want to use Trillian instead. I have Trillian but I prefer using MSN for MSN.

EDIT: I tried installing the newest Beta version of Live Messenger and it froze part way but now MSN actually opens, signs in but crashes at the moment it signs it. Windows Messenger is working fine though.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Do you get any error messages? What version of Windows are you running?

07-13-2007, 03:59 PM
No error messages, just the "Not Responding" type of stuff in Task Manager and the programme going all white when it is the active window. BTW I am using XP and I was using Messenger Live.

Baloki
07-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Usually Windows does not automatically restart after installing updates but waits for you to click the restart system now button. I'd run the virus and adware checks and see what they bring up, if nothing it's most likely a conflict with the updates.

Try doing a system restore back as far as you feel comfortable then visit Microsoft Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and do the updates manually. Also try uninstalling MSN Live Messenger before running the System Restore and seeing if it works after a clean reinstall?

bipper
07-13-2007, 06:44 PM
go into your control panel and open up administrative tools then open up the Event Viewer look at all three sub tiers and report any warnings and errors plz.

Jessweeee♪
07-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Is the Window Appearance scheme set to Vista Basic? I noticed that some programs like to change the theme to that or just don't work at all if the theme isn't Windows Vista Basic already :P

07-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Everything is better. I found out that having UPnP enabled on my router made Live Messenger not work. I have no idea why it does that, but it does. I figured out it was a router problem when someone connected to mine and their Live Messenger/MSN was working beforehand. :/

Storm San
08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
If you have changed the date /time it will not work.Try that.Probably it is a virus problem,since the PC rebooted by itself.Usually it asks if you want to restart now,or later.I also advise you to check how many ports you have opened,and if any of those ports are open but not used by you at the time,they will bring viruses to your PC and other malware,that can slow down your PC and cause other problems as well.

Baloki
08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Everything is better. I found out that having UPnP enabled on my router made Live Messenger not work. I have no idea why it does that, but it does. I figured out it was a router problem when someone connected to mine and their Live Messenger/MSN was working beforehand. :/

If you have changed the date /time it will not work.Try that.Probably it is a virus problem,since the PC rebooted by itself.Usually it asks if you want to restart now,or later.I also advise you to check how many ports you have opened,and if any of those ports are open but not used by you at the time,they will bring viruses to your PC and other malware,that can slow down your PC and cause other problems as well.

Seems to me like the problems already fixed, also the link in your sig is the reason I am pointing out your error as well as you lack of spacing after full-stops and other punctuation marks.

Doomie
08-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Usually Windows does not automatically restart after installing updates but waits for you to click the restart system now button. I'd run the virus and adware checks and see what they bring up, if nothing it's most likely a conflict with the updates.

Try doing a system restore back as far as you feel comfortable then visit Microsoft Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and do the updates manually. Also try uninstalling MSN Live Messenger before running the System Restore and seeing if it works after a clean reinstall?

For the record, Windows asks you if you want to restart now. When the message reappears (Like 5 minutes later because Windows sucks), it'll have a five minute timer before it automatically restarts, regardless if you want it to or not. You have to keep declining if you want to stay on.

I had the same problem. MSN stopped working, so I was forced to re-install XP and MSN. Glad to know there is a quicker way.