PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Which game do you like better Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VIII?

Ramza Beoulve
07-13-2007, 09:34 PM
mmmmm... both?

demondude
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Wrong forum mate. ;)

But I reckon final fantasy 7 is better.

Ouch!
07-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Final Fantasy IX.

SeeDRankLou
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, cause that was one of the options......:tongue:

I liked FFVIII better. :D

f f freak
07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't get me started on FFVIII. Final Fantasy VII gets my vote. (Although FFIX is better than both)

Ouch!
07-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah, cause that was one of the options......:tongue:
I'm quite sure that was my point.

Jessweeee♪
07-13-2007, 11:25 PM
FFVIII :love:

FFVII was awesome, don't get me wrong, I just found it slightly less awesome than FFVIII.

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Not terribly fond of either, but at least FFVII is playable. Can't stand the junction system.

Psychotic
07-13-2007, 11:42 PM
You're asking me to choose between the best and the worst FFs. No contest: FFVII.

f f freak
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
You're asking me to choose between the best and the worst FFs. No contest: FFVII.

Yay!! Go Piechotic!!

Shiny
07-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Too much romance and not enough Mr. T. makes me sick. FFVII please.

Bolivar
07-14-2007, 12:54 AM
For the longest time I was among the FFVIII haters, feeling it's one of the worst in the series, its storyline is corny, squall's emo, blah blah blah. Until I actually beat it last summer, now I think it might be the best game in the series.

I don't know... The Junction system is so wide open for the player, but Materia was an interesting take on the job system. Both stories have many great moments and really good characters.

I refuse to vote.

cloud21zidane16
07-14-2007, 01:36 AM
VII, VIII was fantastic but VII just beats it

Slothy
07-14-2007, 03:43 AM
FFVII.

As poor as it's translation was, the story was still better than FFVIII's, which not only lacks a steady villian throughout the game, but the characters were largely bland and uninteresting, and it had the biggest slap in the face plot hole/Deus Ex Machina plot device in the series (I might be able to live with the fact that GF's erase their memories, but not that Irvine would never mention it at all). Combine that with the fact that the Junction system, though a cool idea, is broken, and the soundtrack is mostly as flat and uninteresting as the characters and you get something that isn't as good as the other games in the series from post FFIV.

Hard to believe I actually still like the game isn't it? :D

Northcrest
07-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Final Fantasy VII no competition.

The Ceej
07-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Final Fantasy VIII got a lot of criticism having a system that was so different from the other games in the franchise. It wasn't the same. Final Fantasy VIII is probably the reason that Square was pushed to make Final Fantasy IX the way they did. It's not a bad system, and once you get used to it, it's actually pretty fun to play around with it. I prefer MP to stocked and junctioned magic, but the story totally made up for it. Final Fantasy VIII is the best Final Fantasy since Square started making their games for the PlayStation.

Yeah. And Final Fantasy VI will always be the best.

My vote goes for Final Fantasy VIII.

rubah
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
I dig them both, but FF8 makes it a lot closer to china, if you get my meaning.

Zeromus_X
07-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Hm...I suppose I might like FFVII a bit better. Not that I don't like VIII, of course. Still, I like IX better than both of them.

Takara
07-14-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't like either of them much, but I have a slightly more favourable opinion of VIII.

Slothy
07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Final Fantasy VIII got a lot of criticism having a system that was so different from the other games in the franchise. It wasn't the same. Final Fantasy VIII is probably the reason that Square was pushed to make Final Fantasy IX the way they did. It's not a bad system, and once you get used to it, it's actually pretty fun to play around with it. I prefer MP to stocked and junctioned magic, but the story totally made up for it. Final Fantasy VIII is the best Final Fantasy since Square started making their games for the PlayStation.

FFIX was meant from the start to be a tribute to the older titles. And FFVIII's junction system isn't bad in theory, but in practice it was broken. It was almost never beneficial to use magic. Junction decent spells to your stats and you'd always do more damage with a physical attack than a spell. Or you could use GF's constantly and do even more. The system was lopsided.

FFIX is still the best PSX era FF (and my second favourite in the series).

Comet
07-14-2007, 01:34 PM
FFVIII would have to scrape it.

FF_Chick
07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Both not really my favorites, but I pick FF7.

I really haven't played FF8 correctly.

IX= better than both of them IMO.

atlanteay
07-14-2007, 09:05 PM
i'll bet FF7 wins this one...again:rolleyes2

i vote for FFVIII because FFVII is too overrated and also because i hate sephiroth.

f f freak
07-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Final Fantasy VIII got a lot of criticism for having the absolute worst story ever. The love story was forced and was absolutely terrible. Overall it was probably the worst FF game ever made. The only good part was Quistis. Rinoa should have been brutally murdered.

Fix'd

Disco Potato
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
IX= better than both of them IMO.

Yeah, IX is my favorite in the series, though out of VII and VIII I like VII more (though I enjoy VIII a lot too). However, although VII's characters are a lot more fleshed out and unique from one another, I like VIII's characters more :Oo:

Elpizo
07-14-2007, 09:31 PM
I prefer VIII above VII by far. Maybe because with everybody saying how awesome VII is, I was unbelievably disappointed with it. With VIII it was the other way around, I heard a lot of people saying that it was the worst in the series, I played it and I loved it.

Besides, VIII had Gilgamesh.

But I agree with everybody who said that IX beats them both. :)

Final Fantasy VIII got a lot of criticism for having the absolute worst story ever. The love story was forced and was absolutely terrible. Overall it was probably the worst FF game ever made. The only good part was Quistis. Rinoa should have been brutally murdered.

Fix'd

Funny, I hear a lot of people saying similiar things about XII.

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Fix'd

Funny, I hear a lot of people saying similar things about all of them T~T

f f freak
07-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Fix'd

Quistis and Rinoa were in all of them? O_o

Jessweeee♪
07-14-2007, 10:06 PM

Fix'd

Quistis and Rinoa were in all of them? O_o

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rocket Edge
07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
VIII by a mile.

Avarice-ness
07-14-2007, 11:33 PM
FFVI? =D

FF_Chick
07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh, yeah FFVI by 600 miles, of course.

07-15-2007, 12:27 AM
FFVI? =D

I'm in love with you and I don't care who knows it.

Anyway. Between VII and VIII. Well, VII has the distinction as the game that made me stop caring about Final Fantasy. VIII has the distinction as the game that failed to get me to care again (thank you IX, the savior!).

Even though VIII had its share of problems, it was still kinda fun to play. I'm just never going to play it again is all.

VII was not fun to play. For this reason I ended up not doing the sidequests and ironically, this meant I actually did play it again (just recently) to give it more of a chance.

So let's do the math. VII has more replay value, albeit via dubious means. VIII is more fun. And it has a chick in sexy boots who carries a whip....

*20 minutes later*

Oh yeah, as I was saying... right, I'll go with VIII.

Fuzoya
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I voted FFVIII
Still FFVII is insanely good

Hazzard
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm quite fond of the Juction system, and the materia system appeals to me as well, but FF8 is overall better for me in some aspects.

FF7 has much better backstory for characters and protagonist(s) while FF8 slacks in that department. Both have equally great tracks, nicely composed. I like the military feel to SeeD, makes me feel important and known in the game, I also like the rankings and salary.

Main characters are kinda the same until the endings when they get romantic and feel the love.

silentenigma
08-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Of the two, i'd say the one that's almost as good as FFVI.

which is certainly not FFVIII.

Wolf Kanno
08-04-2007, 06:24 AM
I can't decide and I refuse to vote. I know VII is a better game even if it has plot holes, one of my least favorite casts and a rabid fanbase that makes me happy that I'm indifferent to Aerith's death... But even I realize that VIII has way more problems...

The problem is, VIII is my "guilty pleasure" of the FF series. The story feels like three different plots were written and then shredded and put back together to form one script. The combat system is horribly broken beyond all hell, and though it features a very unique and compelling cast, if you don't like Squall, Rinoa, or Laguna you are not going to learn jack about any of them except those three.

Oddly, enough I feel VIII has the most potential in the series. VII does as well but VII makes a few minor mistakes that just ruin it for me but VIII was sorta've doomed from the beginning. I sometimes wonder if it's VIII's unique world and set up, the fact it had so much potential to be good that draws me too it? Lately, I'm starting to see a bit of VIII in XIII so I'm beginning to actually have some interest in it. I just have to keep reminding myself that the Nomura, Nojima, and Kitase combo has only made one FF I really disliked. The other two weren't too bad...;)