PDA

View Full Version : %@$& DS!

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 05:33 AM
So.

Today I picked up my DS Lite to play me a little Moero! Nekketsu Rhythym Damashii! Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 during my lunch break and found something extremely displeasing.

The right corner light panel has broken off, rendering my top screen no longer fully connected to the DS. It now flops around.

Anyway, the DS is still fully functional, but I want to know if it's possible to repair this or not. The panel looks like it could be glued back in place, and the way it attaches to the screen means that so long as it stays, I should have no further problems. However, there is some exposed circuitry where the piece broke off around the actual light, and I don't want to accidentally screw something up.

Also, in the event that this somehow ends up with me having to buy a new DS, the afforementioned Ouendan 2 game doesn't let my sister play it on her DS (it gives some long message in Japanese that I obviously can't read). If anyone knows how to take care of that too, I'd be quite appreciative.

Anyway, so yeah. What am I looking at, repair-wise, and how threatening is this to my ability to continue to enjoy my DS?

Fonzie
07-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Which model? Lite or original?

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Ah, sorry. Lite. I shall amend my post to reflect this.

Rostum
07-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Not sure about repairing it, but just curious...

Do you keep your DS in a protective pouch? I bought one for around $30AUD (also came with a spare charger / car charger screen protector and some cartridge holders). So far it's done a really good job of keeping it safe.

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 07:08 AM
I sometimes use my old GBA container, but I usually just set it on my nightstand or desk.

ljkkjlcm9
07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Nintendo is pretty good about their products. If you contact nintendo it's possible they may fix it no charge, seriously

THE JACKEL

Fonzie
07-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Can you upload a picture of the damage. I'd need to see it for myself to know what to do.

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Here we go.

BatChao
07-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if by 'picked up' you meant you bought one or you actually literally picked it up, but if you just bought it, you should be able to return it to the store you bought it at and get a new one since yours is defective.

If you bought it a while back, give Nintendo a call. They have excellent customer service and will let you know what to do.

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I've had it for awhile. I'll try giving customer service a call tomorrow.

demondude
07-15-2007, 09:29 AM
If you glue it carefully enough it might work. :)

Roto13
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
How did that even happen? xP

Araciel
07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
i heard the lites have a common problem with the top part being annoyingly fragile. also when i bought my DS lite, the guy at EB told me they will fix it free or replace it (nintendo i mean, not EB because they're cheap bastards)

atlanteay
07-15-2007, 08:22 PM
if your warranty is still in session then don't do anything to it or they probably won't fix it because it was you who broke it. I'm not sure how nintendo says in their warranty and i'm too lazy to check but that's how most warranties go. So just leave it and call customer service.

Behold the Void
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
How did that even happen? xP

I have no freakin' clue. It was fine one day and the next day it was not.

Fonzie
07-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Mine is starting to break also. :(

JKTrix
07-16-2007, 12:30 PM
What the heck did they do differently with the American versions? I've had my Japanese Navy lite since a couple weeks after it came out in Japan (Feb '06) and I have no problems, yet I know quite a few people who have the US White Lites and have had cracked hinges and stuff.

Do let us know how the customer service angle goes.

Momiji
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
What the heck did they do differently with the American versions? I've had my Japanese Navy lite since a couple weeks after it came out in Japan (Feb '06) and I have no problems, yet I know quite a few people who have the US White Lites and have had cracked hinges and stuff.

Do let us know how the customer service angle goes.

Moral of the story: Don't buy white ones.

Mine's black and I've had no problem with it so far, except for there's one dead pixel in the middle of the touch screen, and it's been like that since I bought it.

Anyone know how to fix that? :cry:

EDIT: I take that back. Even when the DS is off, you can see it. I guess something is stuck under my screen. (How the hell does that happen?!)

Behold the Void
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Couldn't get through to customer service, lines were busy. Probably people asking when they can get Wiis. Will try again today.

CimminyCricket
07-16-2007, 06:48 PM
It has to be the white ones, my black one is perfect.

Fonzie
07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
So white ones are defective? Didn't the black version come out later?

Skyblade
07-16-2007, 07:24 PM
No cracks or anything on my DS Lite, but it is wearing out. As with my SP before it, the Left Shoulder button is becoming tetchy (won't work all the time), and it's GBA slot isn't working perfectly (press a game in all the way and it won't recognize it, you have to have it slightly pulled out [about 1mm]). Anyone else experience these problems?

Bolivar
07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
THIS SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO MINE!!!

mine looks basically the same as yours did in the picture. I called up Nintendo, I had my DS for a little over a year, and because the warranty is only for a year, they said they had to charge me.

They said it would be $75 + $7.50 for their UPS delivery service. So yeah, for a system I bought brand new for $130, they want $82.50 TO FIX PLASTIC!!! 63%.

Check out this site:
http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/information.aspx?SID=29

I'll probably look for others, but this one has repairs starting at $40, which is still crazy considering it's plastic, but not as bad as Nintendo by any means. At this rate though, I think i'm gonna ask one of my more handy relatives on what I should do, probably take my chances with superglue.

Let me know how this goes and I'll be checking this too

Behold the Void
07-25-2007, 11:37 PM
THIS SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO MINE!!!

mine looks basically the same as yours did in the picture. I called up Nintendo, I had my DS for a little over a year, and because the warranty is only for a year, they said they had to charge me.

They said it would be $75 + $7.50 for their UPS delivery service. So yeah, for a system I bought brand new for $130, they want $82.50 TO FIX PLASTIC!!! 63%.

Check out this site:
http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/information.aspx?SID=29

I'll probably look for others, but this one has repairs starting at $40, which is still crazy considering it's plastic, but not as bad as Nintendo by any means. At this rate though, I think i'm gonna ask one of my more handy relatives on what I should do, probably take my chances with superglue.

Let me know how this goes and I'll be checking this too

Wow. I just got through and they told me basically the same thing. I'll probably just spend the $75 though. I live near Redmond, so I can go in and get a new one for that price, I guess.

Hazzard
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
White ones don't react well to anything.

Shlup
07-26-2007, 12:57 AM
My Lite got a crack in it near there. I returned it under the year warranty because of the dead pixels--the crack wasn't covered.