PDA

View Full Version : What the hell, Australia

Strider
07-15-2007, 10:11 AM
My mom just got back from a trip down under and she brought everyone in my family back some souvenirs since that's what we do. Before she'd left, I joked about her bringing me back a "real knife", harkening back to good ol' Crocodile Dundee, albeit not too seriously.

As it turned out, though, she put some serious effort into finding me a "real knife" to no avail. To that, I am dismayed and have to ask... what gives? I thought Australians were all about "real knives" and all that stuff! Sure, a boomerang is great, but the instructions say to release it from my right shoulder... and I'm left-handed! What good will that do me?

I'm very disappointed, Australia.

To give it a topic, have you ever been places where you wish they had certain souvenirs and didn't?

Lawr
07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
When I went to Canada I wanted Maple Syrup... :(

eestlinc
07-15-2007, 11:11 AM
In Toronto they sell maple syrup everywhere for tourists.

I tried to get an Ichiro coffee mug for a friend at a Mariners game but they didn't have anything like that in the clubhouse store at the stadium. Does that count?

Lynx
07-15-2007, 11:16 AM
when i was in boston i couldnt find a single boston market. infact we dindt see a single one until we were in conneticut. and also in boston we couldnt find a tcao bell. the people we met at the skatepark didnt even know what a taco bell was :confused: not that tcaos have naything to do with boston but we wnated some tacossss.

niether of these are souveniers but they were things we wnated to have in boston none the less.

Markus. D
07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Stereotypes.

We are like a sub-par less obese America in all honesty.

Lynx
07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Stereotypes.

We are like a sub-par less obese America in all honesty.

australians get all the cool stereotypes

blackmage_nuke
07-15-2007, 12:39 PM
They recently invented this thing where people dont stab each other, it's really good, try it out.

Ive never gone anywhere where i wanted to get any specific souvinier

41-Inches-Wide
07-15-2007, 12:50 PM
The only souvenir I got from New York is the New York Post.
It seems they ran out of I<3NY and the statue of liberty?

Rye
07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
The only souvenir I got from New York is the New York Post.
It seems they ran out of I<3NY and the statue of liberty?

They ran out of I <3 NY t-shirts? You can find like, 20,000 kiosks selling those in and around Central Park.

PS: Come to NY again! ;_;

41-Inches-Wide
07-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh! I wasn't the one touring new york.
I asked for a statue of liberty and a I<3NY shirt and I got a newspaper instead lol.

Jojee
07-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I`m in China/Japan and I really wanted to bring home a hawt guy but all I can find are these asians >.< I mean... no, no I`ve never had that experience ^.^

Kanshisha
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm in Australia, Ha! and dear me, i don't have a big knife myself! the knife in croc dundee looked military, we don't sell those here.. i think..and all we sell mostly here are:

Koala, kangaroo and wombat figurines sure there's more but thats just an idea, oh yeah, and different size boomerangs, most of them novelty..

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I had a photo with me and my buddies taken on Liberty Island back in '00 that didn't come out properly

Miriel
07-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I think I will be disappointed in New Zealand if I don't see hobbits running around the place.

Also, I really wanted a machete from Mexico. They had some but they refused to haggle with the (expensive) price. :(

Leeza
07-15-2007, 06:11 PM
When I went to Canada I wanted Maple Syrup... :(
Almost every tourist-trappy store I go to here has Maple Syrup and mooses. :moose:

I don't go to enough places to think about souvenirs, but I usually get a T-shirt when I do... that I never end up wearing. :)

Linus
07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I believe the correct term is "meese."

I once went to Missouri to bring back a Chickencha but he turned out to be too large to conveniently fit into a suitcase so I left him at the bowling alley.

~*~Celes~*~
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh! I wasn't the one touring new york.
I asked for a statue of liberty and a I<3NY shirt and I got a newspaper instead lol.

I went to NYC in May and all I could see were I <3 NY shirts >.o in fact, in one shop, they were selling them (and others too) I think it was...$3 for 5? or it was $5 for 3, one of the two.

Also, it helps if whoever went to NY for you went to the Statue of Liberty itself to find one for you :p I brought back a Statue of Liberty keychain for Alan!

Oh lessee...I went to Kentucky when I was about 8, hoping to find some actual blue grass. I was quickly disappointed.

EDIT: I realized then and there that no matter where you go, grass is either brown or green, it's never blue.

Leeza
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I believe the correct term is "meese."

<i>The plural of moose is "moose," not "meese", although the latter is sometimes jokingly used due to the fact that the plural of goose is "geese". The plural for moose is also not "mooses" or "moosen" or "moosi".</i>

We're both mistaken. :)

rubah
07-15-2007, 06:26 PM
they sell maple syrup in cracker barrel. Apparently I never had any before because when I first tasted it it made my jaw drop.

well I say sell, you buy it with your meal. I kept mine!

I wanted to get some t-shirt in london, but I think they didn't have the right color/size so I had to get a crappier one.

Also a lot of places where you can't take pictures! rip off st. paul's :(

The Ceej
07-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't find any rum in Puerto Rico.

Well.... I did, but after my brother and I were finished drinking, there was no more left to take home.

You'd think Puerto Rico would have enough rum for a couple of alcoholics, wouldn't you?