PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather live in a fantasy world or far into the future?

Vincent, Thunder God
07-16-2007, 02:20 AM
So, if you had a choice, would you live in a fantasy world, with magic and magical races, or a futuristic, science-fiction world with incredibly advanced technology?

Think carefully. If you lived in a fantasy world, you could practice magic, and if you were skilled enough in it, you could practically do anything, and then become a very powerful political figure in that world. You could hone destructive abilities - shoot fireballs from the palm of your hand, bring down lightning from the heavens, freeze all sentient life into blocks of ice etc. Or you could fly anywhere in scant minutes, or why bother, you could just teleport anywhere in scant seconds. You could use telekinesis and move all objects as according to your whim - never again would you have to move yourself, when all of your possessions were within your reach. Speaking of which you know what would supply a never-ending boost to your worldly possessions? You could become invisible and steal anything you wanted.

And just think - if you were powerful enough, you could wage a one-man war against all of the world's inhabitants with your magic, or you could forge alliances among all races and rule all!

What about all of the magical creatures? You could become a werewolf or a vampire and terrorize everyone. You could learn from the oldest elves, battle the strongest dwarves, ride the fastest unicorns, chase the sprites and pixies through the forest etc.

But then again, wouldn't such a world prove to be too dangerous? You could be killed by all forms of magic or creatures in a heartbeat, and besides, where would all the luxuries and conveniences of modern-day life be?

Why stop at modern-day conveniences? Why not skip straight to the future? You could live in a world where virtual reality has no limits. If you were rich enough to afford all of the new equipment, you could create your own personal reality, where you could create your own world, and within it, bend everything you could possibly think of. You could slowly build a whole world, cities, people, creatures, and create your own races, and then bend time to infinity, and live in any time possible in that world. The more you imagined, the larger the created world would be, and the more power you would have in it.

But virtual reality isn't reality. You could forget this, and starve to death while you "live" in your virtual reality.

This thread was inspired by The Longest Journey (game) and Otherworld (book series).

Fonzie
07-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Does this mean I could simply walk into Mordor? If so, then yes.

StarlightAngel
07-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Future please. I like modern plumbing. I'd make my own virtual fantasy world with modern freaking plumbing.

Linus
07-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Let's just say modern, nay, futuristic conveniences pique my interest much more than a reversal, not to mention everything is more dangerous what with dragons and evil sorcerers and stuff always trying to rise to power and whatnot.

The Ceej
07-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Use logic. One of those options gives you the possibility of both of those options.

If you choose the future, you get the future and everything that comes with it. You also have the virtual reality in which you can have the fantasy world. Yes. You can have it both ways. I chose the future for the sole purpose of having it both ways.

Araciel
07-16-2007, 03:49 AM
future. fantasty is just that, and with good reason! as was mentioned before the fantasy setting is dangerous, dark, and brutal

KentaRawr!
07-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Who says that living in a fantasy world gives me super powers? And if it does, does that mean that everybody else can become political figures by practicing magic, too? Am I just supposedly smarter than everyone to think of that?

But hey, Magic is awesome. Let's go with that one.

yanis
07-16-2007, 03:55 AM
You can live in magic world and use your (time) powers to go to the future world!

Markus. D
07-16-2007, 03:57 AM
I'd live in an alternate earth that invites me to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry when I am a child.

I would then work at a nice little ice-creamery~ but a magical ice-creamery of hope and wonder :33

sir helix
07-16-2007, 04:58 AM
id love to live in a fantasy world

Brennan
07-16-2007, 05:06 AM
A fantasy world. At least I wouldn't die of starvation playing a virtual reality game.

Proxy
07-16-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm not voting!
Because I think that we all, at one point or another escape to either of those worlds.
Be it day-dreaming, or reading a good book.
Everyone does it.

Yuffie514
07-16-2007, 07:00 AM
fantasy world. the future seems alright, but i prefer magic and mystical beings.

Avarice-ness
07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Fantasy.. heck I'll even just say almost any point in the past.

I'm terrified of the idea of post-apocalyptic worlds, and going to the future would only bring that closer forget -that-

I'd rather live in a fantasy world than the futuristic world -anyday-.

qwertysaur
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Fantasy all the way.:)

Vermachtnis
07-16-2007, 07:17 AM
I wanna ride a dragon and be all "RRRRAAAAARRRRRRRR" while doing it. I'll likely be a Cleric so if my dragon bites you in half I can put you back together...unless I don't fell like it.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Sci-fi safer than fantasy? What about the crazy mad scientist with doomsday devices or evil robots named after one specific power that could never have any real pracitcal use in a future setting? What about the countless alien invasions, the timecops led by Van Damme, and the robots that talk and act like Arnold?

Not to mention the parallel worlds and the countless attacks from your personal androids and clones?!

The future is a pretty dark and scary place people. THE END IS NIGH!!!

Avarice-ness
07-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Sci-fi safer than fantasy? What about the crazy mad scientist with doomsday devices or evil robots named after one specific power that could never have any real pracitcal use in a future setting? What about the countless alien invasions, the timecops led by Van Damme, and the robots that talk and act like Arnold?

Not to mention the parallel worlds and the countless attacks from your personal androids and clones?!

The future is a pretty dark and scary place people. THE END IS NIGH!!!

Which is EXACTLY WHY I SAID FANTASY!

THE END IS NEAR! THEEEE END IS NEARR!

You'll see.. you'll all see!

Xander
07-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Fantassssy but I'll be some magical winged lion, or Vivi, and be super strong (or invincible) so noone will be able to hurt me :D

Nominus Experse
07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
I put on my robe and wizard hat...

Tallulah
07-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I live in a fantasy world anyway... :rolleyes2

Rengori
07-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Fantasy world, the far off future would probably be just as/far more boring than the present.

boys from the dwarf
07-16-2007, 08:34 AM
the way you've put it, future is obviously more appealing.

but under different interpretations of the future and fantasy my choice would be different.

The CeeJ put it very nicely.

Use logic. One of those options gives you the possibility of both of those options.

If you choose the future, you get the future and everything that comes with it. You also have the virtual reality in which you can have the fantasy world.

EDIT: and about this, which is safer.

In fantasy theres always some dark wizard, ancient evil or legendary warrior gone bad E.T.C. usually capable of destroying the world or forcing a new reign of darkness and ruling the world. but there are also heroes in fantasy.

In the Future we could have thought up all sorts of dumb ways to kill each other and someone might accidentally press the red button.

perhaps the starter of the thread could give us his idea on the conflicts in the 2 worlds to help us decide.

Sergeant Hartman
07-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Fantasy plz.

Burtsplurt
07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
The future. Largely because I'm sad and I'd like say 'hi' to Jean-Luc Picard and William Adama.

Then again, riding a dragon and casting spells that make women's clothes disappear would also be pretty cool.

Jojee
07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
As fun as it would be to shoot fireballs out of my eyes and run around having adventures or whatev, I really enjoy changing my clothes once in a while, showering, and modern toilets :[ It`s tough, hey.

Project G
07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I would say future but I am already living in a fantasy world

Iceglow
07-16-2007, 11:07 PM
In a medieval based fantasy world you've got a million and one dangers, spells that can kill you instantly, a dagger or sword, infections and diseases.

In a Sci-fi world you've got wmd's intergalactic war I mean what if the future turns out something like the Warhammer 40k Universe? Hell knows I'd rather be in the Medieval fantasy than that I mean out in that universe your average life expectancy if you end up pressed in to military service for humanity is 15 minutes. However something less neurotically insane and evil heck I'd go for that time and time again.

Mirage
07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
The best from both worlds, of course!

Madame Adequate
07-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Future. Who is to say that if I pick fantasy, I won't end up being some poor peasant shmoe? Conversely, even today a poor peasant can rise to become pretty rich - sure, it takes a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, but most of the obstacles come from circumstance, not overt oppression. Further into the future, even the poorest people will look incredibly rich by today's standards. Eventually we will have such technology where nobody has to work to survive.

Short answer: The future, because it will look like The Culture.

Northcrest
07-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I would prefer the future it would be like FFXIII except probably no magic :(.

Madame Adequate
07-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Why would anyone need magic when we are all full of controllable nanomachinery, can order the growth and/or repair and/or modification of any part of ourselves, can induce true VR interfaces in ourselves at will, and have thought processes literally thousands of times more powerful than the entire sum of Human thought to date per microsecond?

Relena
07-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Fantasy, definately. :)

Evastio
07-20-2007, 04:35 AM
The present and the future are more similar than the present and a fantasy world so I'd rather live in the future.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-20-2007, 04:39 AM
I would want to live in a fantasy world.:) It would be a lot of fun.:)

daggertrepe
07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
In my fantasy world I could DO anything I wanted...

or anyone. :)

Nah, I'm too young for that...

SO anyway, I'd definitely live in my own fantasy world because it would be my dream world duhhhh