PDA

View Full Version : mgs

sir helix
07-16-2007, 06:33 AM
iv never played any game of the metal gear solid series are they any good or are they just another war game where you shoot people

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2007, 07:05 AM
It's a stealth series featuring wacky characters, high drama and political intrigue. What basically sets the series apart from other "War Games" is that the objective is to not to engage the enemy. Snake CAN fight but he'll quickly get outnumbered and killed. So the point is to sneak past guards by using the enviroment or distractions to slip by. The series is known for it's creative boss battles and it's crazy conspiracy theory plotlines, as well as a lot of humor and odd in-jokes sprinkled throughout.

It's cast and story is amazing and the series has a very cinematic feel to it. MGS is thought by many to have some of the most compelling storytelling in videogames. It's a damn fine series IMHO.;)

Big D
07-16-2007, 07:06 AM
They're a whole new approach to the action genre. Outright violence is not the objective; if you try to simply run and shoot your way through you're guaranteed to fail. While there are battles to be fought, the series is about stealth. Avoid the enemy, infiltrate and expose the plot, fight when there's no other option.
Speaking of plot, the stories, characters and acting in the MGS series are second to none.

It's difficult to recommend these games highly enough; all I can say is that it's virtually essential to play the first Metal Gear Solid before playing its sequels. The convoluted storyline would be virtually impossible to follow otherwise.

The controls and camera angles make the games a little difficult to get into initially, but once you're used to it, it's fine. Very cinematic, superbly designed and directed.

sir helix
07-16-2007, 08:20 AM
i just seen the trailer for mgs4 guns of the patriots on E3 and it looks so freaken awsome

sephirothishere
07-16-2007, 03:10 PM
I have completed the first two Metal Gear games, and also some of the third, 'Snake Eater'. I agree about the cinematic aspect of the games, however, the 'zany'-ness of the games cuts out the whole movie feel every now and again. Generally very convoluted, difficult to predict, need to follow it quite closely. Boss Battles, especially the one where you must
fight the guy that carries a massive gattling gun, designed for mounting on a jet.

Aussi, that guy loved his mother! What the pants!?!?. Well, step mother.

On re runs of Metal Gear solid, I made it through with like, 0 alarms and very few kills etc. on a further re run, I killed every person in each room and just walked around care free~

AUSSI!, on my third playthrough of MGS 1, I couldn't play past the last 'Wolf' battle. It was so emotive. Everything seems kind of like an anti-climax after that.

Roto13
07-16-2007, 07:56 PM
They're one of the few series' that are more about story and gameplay that can actually get away with it because the story is just so good.

Skyblade
07-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Interesting. I may have to actually try this series. I remember the original Metal Gear, from the NES, but didn't much like that one, and never gave MGS a try. You guys make it sound a bit like Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (which I loved and can't find a copy of anymore). All about sneaking around rather than a straight up killfest.

Shoeberto
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
It's a very interesting affair. I've only played the first one, and though I'll admit I felt it was almost too bogged down with its story at time, I did get into it and feel compelled to play the rest of it. Worth checking out, for sure.

Shattered Dreamer
07-17-2007, 11:18 PM
The MGS series is the only game series I'd rate nearly as highly as the FF series. The end of MGS3 almost brought a tear to my eye.

10-Breaker
07-20-2007, 08:50 AM
MGS1 ''The twinsnakes'' is the best. Then comes ''Snake Eater'' and 3rd ''Sons of Liberty.''

The storyline seems to go from ''Snaker Eater'' to ''The Twinsnakes'' and after that ''Sons of Liberty'' then comes the allmighty MGS4.

I managed to play MGS1 to end of disc1. When I was supposed to switch the cd1 to cd2 it jammed so I had to just watch when my friend played it through. =(

Bolivar
07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I say this with no prejudice:

MGS1 has the best video game ending of all time. (in my experience at least).

They are some of the best games I've ever played. The gaming experience is like no other. The plots are so massive and crazily detailed and intertwining, yet its not hard at all to gain an adequate understanding everything that's going on with one playthrough. When you replay them you'll catch all sorts of little things you didn't the first time.

MGS3 is possibly the best game I've played on PS2. It's crazy because it follows a man who begins as an above-average operative and at the end he's the top soldier in the world. And what's so amazing is that the game perfectly carries the player through this - most people begin handling all the game's mechanics clumsily, but at the end of the game you're like this one man army. I can't say any other game has developed the player, not just the character(s) to the story.

I can't recommend it enough, if you have any sony systems, this is absolutely a must get. Why haven't you played it already!?

KentaRawr!
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
The storyline seems to go from ''Snaker Eater'' to ''The Twinsnakes'' and after that ''Sons of Liberty'' then comes the allmighty MGS4.

It goes Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops., Metal Gear 1, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 4. >.>

Roto13
07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
MGS 3 is the one with the best ending, betches. xP

KentaRawr!
07-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Agreed with Roto on this one. It also felt like it was 2 hours long but was actually only 10 minutes long. o_o But even so, it was awesome.

Bolivar
07-21-2007, 03:01 AM

Agreed with Roto on this one. It also felt like it was 2 hours long but was actually only 10 minutes long. o_o But even so, it was awesome.

I'll agree with you on that, when I said MGS1 has the best ending, I didn't mean as in the ending cinematic/resolution of the story. I feel like to elaborate on what I meant would be to give away a huge spoiler that...well anyone who's beaten 1 knows what i mean.

sephirothishere
07-22-2007, 03:19 PM
You mean, the part with the part with snake, or the part with -dramatic voice- Revolver... Ocelot~ :D?

cloud21zidane16
07-23-2007, 01:59 AM
i played and completed metal gear solid 1, 2:sons of liberty and 3:snake eater, theyre all really good games with a decent storyline,in 2 and a bit 3 theres sometimes too much talking but thats easy to deal with.:)
Wish i had a Ps3 to get the new one:(