PDA

View Full Version : Parents and my drawing

ChibiAxel
07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Man my parents are not supportive of my abilities of drawing. All they say is like" you need to get off all that drawing crap" and like they think it's just junk. and they want me to start paying attention in class but why would i if it was the same thing i already knew. xD well anyway I need to know if i put a pic on here i need to know if i am good. Btw i made this sig

Garnie
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
you have a talent! dont listen to what your parents say all though its important to keep focused in school! but if you like to draw keep drawing

Rengori
07-16-2007, 10:02 PM
If you like to draw, do so, but you should pay attention in class if you're getting lower than B's.

Old Manus
07-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Your parents are wrong. You must put all efforts into drawing pint-size Final Fantasy characters, as that is your life mission and the only way you will achieve fulfillment. Screw education. Fight the system. Make political music.

Venom
07-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Kill your parents.

Anaisa
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Then call it art.

Rengori
07-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Then kill the critics who don't like it.

ChibiAxel
07-17-2007, 12:20 AM
I have awsome straight A+s wtihout trying so i don't care about them so Yeah i will keep drawing 0w0

Tavrobel
07-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Engineering > Art

They're right for trying to get you off of art, but kill 'em anyways.

ChibiAxel
07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
nAH TOO MUCH TIME IN JAIL xD

Mirage
07-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Mold Anus wins the thread

Araciel
07-17-2007, 12:36 AM
i think that your parents should be more supportive of something that you take pride in. if art is all you do to the exclusion of everything else, that should prompt them to encourage you to do other things as well, but if they just say 'hey art is a waste of time' well that just sucks. i guess not all parents are as awesome as mine :S

Vermachtnis
07-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Keep doing what you love. Since you can make A's without even trying I see no problem with it. If it was actually harming your grades your parents would have some podium, but they don't have any ground.

Rocket Edge
07-17-2007, 12:47 AM
wil u b mi frend?

Hambone
07-17-2007, 01:08 AM
It may be what you're drawing that your parents have a problem with, Jake. Parents tend to not care about drawing stuff that they're not familiar with, especially Final Fantasy. ;)

~*~Celes~*~
07-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Your parents should definitely be more supportive. Draw anyway =]

Northcrest
07-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Yeah Jake like my parents they want me to draw but like pictures of real houses, humans, flowers etc. When I draw like a Final Fantasy picture its like get that thing away from me.

Anaisa
07-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Bigots! You should tell them you visit this website, an then the whole drawing ff characters thing will seem tame by comparison.

Slade
07-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Just do both. Try harder at school, even if it is something you already know (you'll be a wizz by the time you leave school ;) ) and draw in your spare time. There's nothing wrong with persuing a career in drawing. I am already halfway there. If your parents bug you about drawing too much then just tell them straight out that they should be more supportive of whatever it is you are passionate about. They sound rather old fashioned to me. My parents were, and still are supportive of mine and my sister's artistic skills and they love to see our latest creations.

If you have a talent, use it :)

ChibiAxel
07-17-2007, 02:32 AM
K ^w^

Northcrest
07-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Bigots! You should tell them you visit this website, an then the whole drawing ff characters thing will seem tame by comparison.

If I was to tell my parents about this site they would go nuts.

Venom
07-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Drop out of school. Your parents cant complain about your grades if you dont go anymore.

Anaisa
07-17-2007, 02:52 AM

If I was to tell my parents about this site they would go nuts.Would they spam the place in fury? An suggest most of the members here are paedophiles?

ChibiAxel
07-17-2007, 02:55 AM
O.o

scrumpleberry
07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Hum.

Just an idea, but try drawing them a piccy that plays to your talents but doesn't involve anything they find annoying (ie: if they don't like FF, don't draw FF), work really hard on it, make it look good, then give it to them, and after they've gushed at you and thanked you, ask them if they still think your drawing is a waste of time. Most parents love it when you give them random gifts.

Anyway, if you feel secure in your knowledge of your subjects at school there is no reason why you can't draw.

...blerg.

Araciel
07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
maybe if you're seven....a lot of parents, as these ones seem to be, can be old fashioned and closed minded to a fault. in this case they may take such a gift for what it is, a veiled peace offering to gain their favour for something for which they've already expressed a general disdain.

my advice is do what you want, but respect your parents' opinions and understand that they live life differently. they are your parents, and in a misguided way they most likely think they're looking out for your well being in saying these things...my parents definitely didn't want me being a writer, knowing it's an unstable source of income, but still they encouraged me to pursue anything i enjoy.

cloud21zidane16
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
if youre doing well with your grades then dont give up, your drawings are fantastic:D

Zante
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
No matter if you are good at drawing or not, its very unlikely that you will be able to support yourself just with your art. Keep it as a hoby, sure, but don't put it before school.

Avarice-ness
07-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Don't back down from it, My dad was the only one in the family that actually turned down my drawing alot, but then he got over it, he told me he was just fearing I'd be a starving artist and such.
The rest of the family actually wants me to go to Art school or atleast major in art and education and be an art teacher in the school I'm going too, but I don't really want to be drawing for the rest of my life, so really with me, I wish my family would back down from wanting me to draw. :razz:

Jojee
07-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I totally get what you mean, dude >=[ My parents weren't supportive of me playing games all day either, but I'll show them! RPG playing is a skillz, yo.

Cuute drawing, btw ^_^

ChibiAxel
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Ty jojee and Yeah it takes skillz to play FF and all those RPGS xD So yeah I always put art before school that's why i take art every year. ^w^

StarlightAngel
07-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Btw i made this sig

Do you have a DeviantArt name? o.o

ChibiAxel
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Wait what is Devian art??? Is it a site if so i'll get one.!

No.78
07-18-2007, 06:00 PM
It's a website were people post ther images, comment on others and recieve feedback and whatnot. People use it to improve their drawing skills and whatnot.

Yeah your parents are a bit silly.

Behold the Void
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm going to close this now.

While the topic of discussion is possibly legitimate, you've been making claims that you drew the picture in your signature, which is not true.

The real artist may be found here: Leversa's Deviantart (http://leversa.deviantart.com/)

And the picture here: Reno ID (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31840089/?qo=2&q=Chibi%20Reno&qh=boost:popular%20age_sigma:24h%20age_scale:5)

Do not claim that the artwork of others is yours on this site.