07-17-2007, 06:50 AM
The whole cwap has me angry:mad2:

I am going to drink fruity colored drinks with the tiny purple umbrella
I am going to get my cartilage pierced,
I am going to wear random bracelets, armbands and other stuff
I am going to get my nails done and or sharpened
I am going to scream in a loud pitched voice when I get the feeling
I am going to use eyeliner cuz it looks kewl
I am going to get pumped/psyked up to songs like "a thousand miles" on my ipod nano
I am going to play with my stuffed monkeys
I am going to play with my action figures even if to you they're dolls
I am going to blush and/or faint when a rockstar looks me in the eye
and most of all Imma cry like a WUSS >:D
I am going to do watever I want and if you call me girly, '

Ill...beat you up:mad2:

Rengori
07-17-2007, 07:36 AM
The whole cwap has me angry

Sorry, I just had to point this out. :p

Miriel
07-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Why is it that you would get angry at being called "girly"? Is "girly" automatically an insult in your eyes?

What is it about being associated with femininity that you find insulting?

It's interesting that a lot of the insults guys throw at each other is basically make reference to a guy being like a girl. As though being a girl is somehow inherently inferior.

Yamaneko
07-17-2007, 07:54 AM
It is.

I Took the Red Pill
07-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Why is it that you would get angry at being called "girly"? Is "girly" automatically an insult in your eyes?

It's interesting that a lot of the insults guys throw at each other is basically make reference to a guy being like a girl. As though being a girl is somehow inherently inferior.You wouldn't get offended if someone told you that you were full-blown manly?

KentaRawr!
07-17-2007, 07:58 AM
It's interesting that a lot of the insults guys throw at each other is basically make reference to a guy being like a girl. As though being a girl is somehow inherently inferior.

It's not that being girly is bad. It's when people associate something that you like with a specific term and using it negatively. It generally annoys people, no matter who they are. Generally saying that guys throw around the term is bound to be inaccurate for many, as very few guys, at least where I'm from, would really call something "girly" and mean it. We've replaced that term with "gay", which somehow implies that gay people are inferior. So, instead of sexism, we have sex preference-ism. Get it?

So, the reason calling someone "girly" is so annoying is that one who actually dares say "girly" is an absolute idiot, and being insulted by an idiot with an idiotic insult is no-good by most people's standards. The word "girly" is so shunned from society, it paints a massive picture of whomever says it instantaneously, whether it be false or true. A picture of one who's dim-witted, and non-accepting of other things. Mildly ironic that this same thing isn't as common with the insult "gay", isn't it?

At least that's how I see it.

Edit: And no, I am not sexist and/or prejudice against homosexuals. The end of the first paragraph was an example of a society I've seen and live in, and not my personal beliefs.

rubah
07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I thought guys already did all that stuff.

It's just a matter of softening the social consciousness! At one time it was just as bad for girls to be tomboys. Soon boys will be fine being sissies~

Lawr
07-17-2007, 08:33 AM

When your male, it should be.

Men should act like men and women like women. It's even talked about in the Bible, so I guess religion might influence the reaction.

It degrades the man-like-ism, not saying that girls are inferior, but a man who is "girly" is inferior, at a male point of view. Or at least, my point of view. :-/ Which is in the Mid-Western direction [/spam]

Miriel
07-17-2007, 09:03 AM

It's interesting that a lot of the insults guys throw at each other is basically make reference to a guy being like a girl. As though being a girl is somehow inherently inferior.You wouldn't get offended if someone told you that you were full-blown manly?

The original post wasn't talking about being referred to as a "full-blown" girl.

If someone says, "dude, you run like a girl" why is that insulting while telling a girl "you hit like a guy" is considered a compliment? When a guy acts emotional, he's told to stop being acting like a little girl, and I'll bet you it's always done in a derisive manner. The thinking seems to be, crying = girly, girly = bad. How often do you hear a male being complimented for having qualities that society typically associates with females? Yet when females take control, be aggressive, succeed in the business world, they're complimented for being more like a man and given kudos for it. Think about it, having balls is considered a plus for guys AND girls. But female genitalia is used (in various forms) as an insult.

Crying isn't a feminine or masculine action. It's a human one. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I honestly can't fathom how food or drinks can be appropriate for only one gender. And as far as I can tell, piercings are not inherently male or female.

I say do whatever the hell you want and ignore what other people say.

If someone calls you girly, who cares? Girls are awesome.

I was a tomboy growing up, and really, I didn't give a damn if someone said I was too boyish.

Hambone
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
^^^*applauds*

Chimp
07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
It's better to run like a man because men are better at running? :p

And most guys like tomboys (The non butch ones anyway). Mainly because they aren't completely useless at everything ;[

scrumpleberry
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
It's better to run like a man because men are better at running? :p

And most guys like tomboys (The non butch ones anyway). Mainly because they aren't completely useless at everything ;[

So, you assume that if a girl isn't a tomboy, she's completely useless at everything? Or is everything only the things that you consider to be useful?

Also, Miriel gets a cookie. :cookie:

Chimp
07-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, they aren't useless at EVERYTHING :jokey:

KentaRawr!
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
The thinking seems to be, crying = girly, girly = bad.

It's not that girly = bad, but rather, it's that crying to some is a sign of weakness, and many people seem to think that females have their own standard in that regard, so the closest thing relative to their weakness is "girly".

This has got to be the longest I've ever spent writing a post, trying to come off as something besides being a complete sexist. >_>

scrumpleberry
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, they aren't useless at EVERYTHING :jokey:

Neanderthal. :eep:

Old Manus
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome my son, welcome, to the scene.

Araciel
07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
if you're called girly and take offense, i think you must have some kind of insecurity about your sexuality or masculinity. if someone calls me girly i just laugh at them in a girlish giggle.

Zante
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Dividing things into girly and manly is stupid to begin with, imho. Just do whatever makes you happy.

Araciel
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
sorry, but to me painting your nails or wearing makeup like eyeliner and whatnot if you're A- not in a movie/tv show or B- a clown will always seem girly to me. there are certain things that people consider 'girly' or 'manly' and a third class that we consider neutral toward gender. granted, our dfinitions are sliding toward neutrality on all accounts, but it'll be a while before we're all the way there.

Zante
07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
We consider those things girly because its what we have been taught, but can you explain what exactly makes it girly?

Araciel
07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
of course

women use make up to appear more attractive. they put lipstick on to make their lips appear more like an engorged sexual organ, they put blush on to make their face seem more flushed and aroused and healthy. they accentuate their eyes making them seem bigger...

?

Zante
07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
And if a man uses it to be more atractive? How is that different?

Peegee
07-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Being female != being inferior. For example I'm pretty terrible at..ah I'm going to leave this train of thought to myself. The point is that when guys call other guys 'gay' or 'girlie' it immasculates them.

Interestingly I don't think there's a word you can call a female that does the same thing. For example if a girl farts loudly, burps, and is in dirty clothes....she's still a girl. I can call her 'unladylike' but the semantic meaning is different than calling a guy a fairy or a gay.

Araciel
07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
i don't know what women find attractive. all i'm saying is i understand why a woman would wear makeup but i don't see how it would make a man more attractive. i don't think that eyeliner and lipstick and nail polish make him such, i don't know if guys who do wear these things even do it to look more attractive.

The Ceej
07-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll joke around sometimes with the word, "gay," but I would never use words likes, "girly," or, "gay," as an insult because to do so implies that there's something wrong with being that way. There's nothing wrong with girls or homosexuals (at least not as a group) so it makes no sense to call people that as an insult because it insults an entire group of people more than the individual you intended to insult.

Oh, and Pyro, continue doing all those things if that's what you like to do. Hell, carry a purse if you want. Just make sure you're able to call it a purse. If you're secure enough in your manhood to do all these things that people would call you, "girly" over, then you should be secure enough to ignore them when they do it.

cloud21zidane16
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I'll joke around sometimes with the word, "gay," but I would never use words likes, "girly," or, "gay," as an insult because to do so implies that there's something wrong with being that way. There's nothing wrong with girls or homosexuals (at least not as a group) so it makes no sense to call people that as an insult because it insults an entire group of people more than the individual you intended to insult.

excatly, people calling something gay because they dont like it or whatever dosent mean they are against gays, its just a word that gets said a lot these days :rolleyes2

Yamaneko
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised the women of this community have enough reasoning to fathom the complex ideas proposed by this thread topic concerning gender identity and gender roles. The definitions regarding sexuality and inferiority should really be left to us men to ponder and impose as we see fit. Now lunch isn't going to make itself.

Araciel
07-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm surprised the women of this community have enough reasoning to fathom the complex ideas proposed by this thread topic concerning gender identity and gender roles. The definitions regarding sexuality and inferiority should really be left to us men to ponder and impose as we see fit. Now lunch isn't going to make itself.

pure awesomeness....i would nominate yam our president if he hadn't already crowned himself our emperor.

The Ceej
07-17-2007, 06:49 PM
i would nominate yam our president if he hadn't already crowned himself our emperor.

Wait. Don't you mean if Bush hadn't already crowned himself our emperor?

Araciel
07-17-2007, 07:10 PM
i would nominate yam our president if he hadn't already crowned himself our emperor.

Wait. Don't you mean if Bush hadn't already crowned himself our emperor?

your emperor perhaps, not mine.

Psychotic
07-17-2007, 07:13 PM
If you think you have the right to act however you want (in this case, playing with stuffed monkeys and so on), then why don't other people have the right to act however they want (in this case, calling you girly)?

Chimp
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I like the way Psychotic thinks!

Yamaneko
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Too bad he's gay.

Chimp
07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
And your comment doesn't count because you are girly.

LunarWeaver
07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
You could be like me and make your girly attributes so blatant that nobody wants to point it out for fear of being labeled Captain Obvious.

Chimp
07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
But, who doesn't want to be a captain?

Psychotic
07-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Too bad he's gay.Father said it's only gay if you're the one receiving. :|

Araciel
07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
'he sucked my _____, so clearly i'm not gay.'

also, 'hey son...how many girls called you today? ZERO? hey son, how many girls called you yesterday? also zero? well you know what they say son...zero plus zero equals FAG'

Pure Aerisbeauty7
07-17-2007, 08:59 PM

The original post wasn't talking about being referred to as a "full-blown" girl.

If someone says, "dude, you run like a girl" why is that insulting while telling a girl "you hit like a guy" is considered a compliment? When a guy acts emotional, he's told to stop being acting like a little girl, and I'll bet you it's always done in a derisive manner. The thinking seems to be, crying = girly, girly = bad. How often do you hear a male being complimented for having qualities that society typically associates with females? Yet when females take control, be aggressive, succeed in the business world, they're complimented for being more like a man and given kudos for it. Think about it, having balls is considered a plus for guys AND girls. But female genitalia is used (in various forms) as an insult.

Crying isn't a feminine or masculine action. It's a human one. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I honestly can't fathom how food or drinks can be appropriate for only one gender. And as far as I can tell, piercings are not inherently male or female.

I say do whatever the hell you want and ignore what other people say.

I was a tomboy growing up, and really, I didn't give a damn if someone said I was too boyish.

I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong in being girly.

Anaisa
07-17-2007, 11:03 PM

I am going to get pumped/psyked up to songs like "a thousand miles" on my ipod nano

Ill...beat you up:mad2: Let's imagine a woman walking down the street getting "pumped/psyked" up to a song on her ipod nano. Then she lets out high pitched screams every now an then. She doesn't have a regular manicure, she's had her nails sharpened into talons. She starts having a random crying fit in the street, an her "kewl" eyeliner is running! She can't wipe away her tears, because she'll scratch her face to pieces! Plus she has to get home an play with her stuffed monkeys an "action figures". You honestly think a girl who behaved like that, would be considered normal?! She'd be a social outcast! Not the cool girl about town. An if you don't want to attract attention to yourself, running around shrieking isn't the best way to go about it.

daggertrepe
07-17-2007, 11:06 PM
It is.

Physically. Yes, if there were a war between men and women, men would most likely win. They are the stronger sex.

Rengori
07-17-2007, 11:06 PM

Ill...beat you up:mad2: Let's imagine a woman walking down the street getting "pumped/psyked" up to a song on her ipod nano. Then she lets out high pitched screams every now an then. She doesn't have a regular manicure, she's had her nails sharpened into talons. She starts having a random crying fit in the street, an her "kewl" eyeliner is running! She can't wipe away her tears, because she'll scratch her face to pieces! Plus she has to get home an play with her stuffed monkeys an "action figures". You honestly think a girl who behaved like that, would be considered normal?! She'd be a social outcast! Not the cool girl about town. An if you don't want to attract attention to yourself, running around shrieking isn't the best way to go about it.
OWNED.

PyroManiak
07-17-2007, 11:22 PM
any1 wanna play pokemans?

Anaisa
07-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Is that some sort of budget version of Pokemon?

PyroManiak
07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
IF you promise to be my friend then sure

Iceglow
07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Seriously Psy, Yams, Ceej, Dyslexicon.....you're ALL girly so stfu :P :jokey:

But serious answer all Joking aside now:

I think a lot has to do with primordial coding, we look for in women on a basic animal level:
1) Wide hips, to make child birthing easy
2) big breasts that will produce and store plenty of milk to feed children, 3) good tone/form which means they will have the means to PROVIDE once the children do not need milk. (legs, ass, tums are all covered here)
4) good eyes to see danger/prey a good distance away (often found by the way men like a womans eyes)
5) Intelligence, ever wondered why a challenging woman is so attractive? here's why.

(yes Provide is capitalized for a reason, mainly in that if it were not people could assume it's up to a male to provide once the child is born but it's actually more in our animalistic nature for a man to spread his genes around as many women as possible same as it is for a woman to mate with as many suitable males as possible. Love and commitment are very much terms of Human nature which dictate we should honour and cherish these people not just use them for their bodies, ect but on with the point... it would therefore in animalistic nature be up to the mother to provide for her offspring not the father the idealogical view of the father being the bread winner is as human nature as it gets he is generally out for number one - himself)

Women look for in men on the same level:

1) Good Phsique, yes I'm being more broad here but the preference of a man with a six pack/tight ass/strong legs is more aesthetics than primordial need/desires it's a case of he's got good body therefore when you're pregnant and cannot hunt/provide for yourself he can
2) Intelligence, the man has to be able to provide whilst you cannot therefore he needs to be strong but also intelligent on finding means to do so.
3) Virility, if a man has bad technique and or is unfortunate in size and cannot get deep inside of a woman or grant her an orgasm (which whilst pleasurable is actually a reflex action to draw the semen further inside to help in concieving the best time for conception to occur is generally when both man and woman orgasm simultaneously or near to it) he will have less chances of getting a her pregnant since that would mean chances of reproduction are slim she would need to find someone else to provide that.

Now looking at it in this light, when a male exhibits feminine traits it is seen as he is lacking in what women seek amongst men we're essentially pack animals (cave men tribes? funnily we call monkey groups "tribes" too) the weakest men in the pack would be just about ranking the same as the average/low ranking female (alpha females would exhibit male traits) However we're no longer talking the primordial animalistic traits here, we're in the realm of the human nature...a much more complex thing than the mere physical representations of the above points it encompasses all else like crying, emotion showing, cosmetics, fighting, sport and many other things. Yet somehow somewhere in our minds we still apply the rules governing those primordial/animalistic needs/desires to our human nature so therefore "Girly" is an insult to a guy but being called "manly" can be considered a compliment. As for the "you've got balls"/"You're a pussy" thing? well generally thats to do with the fact that THE top sexual posi<b></b>tion for conception to occur is infact not the missionary which allows the woman to lie on her back (thats number 2) but for the woman to be taken from behind... (I apologise admins if this post is getting a little too graphic but I'm using facts as once addressed by my sociology tutor at a college level, I understand this post is most suited to the EoEo section.) In this posi<b></b>tion the woman is completely subservient to the man, she has her back to him he can pretty much take advantage of her in any way, even kill her and she'd barely know about it untill it happens. The missionary also allows this but it also allows the intimacy of human nature (eye to eye contact/kissing/facing your lover ect) Applying these factors of dominance to our animalistic views of each other we see why being told "you're the man" or "you've got some balls there" is complimentative because it establishes manliness/dominance whereas being seen more female/subservient in behaviour is not a compliment. Especially for males who all have a sense of their standings amongst each other in an animalistic view point (male ego/pride ect whatever you like to call it) constantly judging each other and trying to out do the others to be the top male, the male that every woman wants, being reffered to as "Girly" or subservient is bad because it hurts their standing/view of themselves.

I hope this somehow explains the reasons why being called Girly is an insult to men. I remember the debate we had as to this well because my sociology tutor was very good in it and I was the first to actually understand the place she was comming from (and ladies so you know, she was a very big feminist too but she was also a realist) and found this debate to be the most interesting one in the entire course.

My Apologies again to the admin team of Eyes on FF who will possibly read this and think my terms too blunt or "adult" for this forum, if so I would ask that instead of *snipping* my post they could please either message me and ask me to edit the words or if they understand the meaning of this post and can think of better terms to explain this whilst keeping AS MUCH of my original post here as possible then to edit it yourselves.

Iceglow.

Anaisa
07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
IF you promise to be my friend then sureSounds sinister. No thanks.

PyroManiak
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
IF you promise to be my friend then sureSounds sinister. No thanks.

This silly little wound will kill me, you poked my heart with a needle x_x

srrsly, b my friend or else

Anaisa
07-18-2007, 12:08 AM
This silly little wound will kill me, you poked my heart with a needle x_xWhy don't you thread the needle up, an stitch it back together again? I assume you can sew. Sewing is considered girly.

srrsly, b my friend or elseOr else what?

Psychotic
07-18-2007, 12:15 AM
So PyroManiak, do you still want this thread or are you just going to post spam in it?

PyroManiak
07-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Srrsly, I do see bieng called girly or asked if I'm entering my menstruation cycle offensive.

and If people have the right to call me girly then I have the right to physically abuse them. because I saids so.

Madame Adequate
07-18-2007, 12:32 AM
If you think you have the right to act however you want (in this case, playing with stuffed monkeys and so on), then why don't other people have the right to act however they want (in this case, calling you girly)?

They do, but it doesn't make them less stupid. :)

Me, I stopped caring a long, long time ago.

Momiji
07-18-2007, 04:57 AM

I'm called 'girly' all the time.

I must be freaking awesome then. :D

Zante
07-18-2007, 07:56 AM
It is.

Physically. Yes, if there were a war between men and women, men would most likely win. They are the stronger sex.

Yes, because every man is a bodybuilder, and every woman is pathetically weak... /sarcasm

Loony BoB
07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
If someone calls me a dick, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm actually a giant penis. I think that they're suggesting I'm not very nice.
Example: I called them a dick.

If someone calls me a prick, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a small, sharp object such as a needle, which is being entered into their skin. I think that they're suggesting I'm annoying/irritating.
Example: I constantly point out their spelling and grammar mistakes.

If someone calls me an a**hole, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a rectum. I think that they're suggesting I'm rude.
Example: I shove them out of the McDonalds line so I can take their place.

If someone calls me a fag, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a faggot. I think that theyr'e suggesting I do something or act in some way that could be aligned to a stereotypical homosexual male.
Example: I do that limp hand wave thing.

If someone calls me a girl, I don't think that they're suggesting that I'm female. I think that they're suggesting I'm doing something or act in some way that is more known amongst females than males.
Example: I hold the handle of a cricket bat against or very close to my torso when batting.

It's not saying that all girls do it. It's saying that a lot of them do it, and very few guys do it. This means it's 'girly'. Much like pink is a girly colour - more girls like pink than guys in the modern world.

Of course, this only applies to the Western culture. It's also notable that it doesn't mean that it's inferior, it just means that girls are more likely to do it. So all these people going on about girly = inferior, shush. Not once has that been suggested. If the ways that a very large amount of girls do a specific thing tends to be an inferior way of doing it, then provided very few males also do this specific thing in this way, it is considered that the 'girly' thing coincidentially happens to be inferior. For a good example, running like a girl. This is where one runs with their elbows glued to their sides and their hands wave outside of this. I've seen it. We've probably all seen it. It just happens that a large amount of girls are known to do it and very few guys are. This means that it's girly. It also happens to be inferior. Therefore, running like a girl is running in an inferior way.

Now, I'm sure there are things that women do better than males which males are unlikely to do very often and therefore 'girly' in such a case would be considered a positive thing when referring to that skill and not suggesting that they are doing it in an inferior way at all.

Rengori
07-18-2007, 12:07 PM
If someone calls me a fag, I don't think that they're sgugesting I'm a faggot. I think that theyr'e suggesting I do something or act in some way that could be aligned to a stereotypical homosexual male.

Would've been better if you had misspelled something on the prick thing.

The Ceej
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
If a guy is wearing pink, it suggests that he's secure in his manhood. The only reason I never wear pink is that I really don't want to go out and buy a new shirt just to suggest I'm secure in my manhood. However, if I obtained a pink shirt by other means which does not require money or work on my part, I would wear it because I'm secure in my manhood.

It is not girly at all to do so, Loony BoB, and one may suggest that you're not secure enough to wear pink yourself because of your suggestion that it is girly to do so.

Zante
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Wearing pink is girly because most guys don't wear pink.
But most guys don't wear pink because wearing pink is girly.
...? :confused:

Rengori
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
If a guy is wearing pink, it suggests that he's secure in his manhood. The only reason I never wear pink is that I really don't want to go out and buy a new shirt just to suggest I'm secure in my manhood. However, if I obtained a pink shirt by other means which does not require money or work on my part, I would wear it because I'm secure in my manhood.

It is not girly at all to do so, Loony BoB, and one may suggest that you're not secure enough to wear pink yourself because of your suggestion that it is girly to do so.
You keep telling yourself this.

Relena
07-19-2007, 02:39 AM
If someone calls me a dick, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm actually a giant penis. I think that they're suggesting I'm not very nice.
Example: I called them a dick.

If someone calls me a prick, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a small, sharp object such as a needle, which is being entered into their skin. I think that they're suggesting I'm annoying/irritating.

If someone calls me an a**hole, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a rectum. I think that they're suggesting I'm rude.
Example: I shove them out of the McDonalds line so I can take their place.

If someone calls me a fag, I don't think that they're suggesting I'm a faggot. I think that theyr'e suggesting I do something or act in some way that could be aligned to a stereotypical homosexual male.
Example: I do that limp hand wave thing.

If someone calls me a girl, I don't think that they're suggesting that I'm female. I think that they're suggesting I'm doing something or act in some way that is more known amongst females than males.
Example: I hold the handle of a cricket bat against or very close to my torso when batting.

It's not saying that all girls do it. It's saying that a lot of them do it, and very few guys do it. This means it's 'girly'. Much like pink is a girly colour - more girls like pink than guys in the modern world.

Of course, this only applies to the Western culture. It's also notable that it doesn't mean that it's inferior, it just means that girls are more likely to do it. So all these people going on about girly = inferior, shush. Not once has that been suggested. If the ways that a very large amount of girls do a specific thing tends to be an inferior way of doing it, then provided very few males also do this specific thing in this way, it is considered that the 'girly' thing coincidentially happens to be inferior. For a good example, running like a girl. This is where one runs with their elbows glued to their sides and their hands wave outside of this. I've seen it. We've probably all seen it. It just happens that a large amount of girls are known to do it and very few guys are. This means that it's girly. It also happens to be inferior. Therefore, running like a girl is running in an inferior way.

Now, I'm sure there are things that women do better than males which males are unlikely to do very often and therefore 'girly' in such a case would be considered a positive thing when referring to that skill and not suggesting that they are doing it in an inferior way at all.

Best answer here.

Shiny
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
i don't know what women find attractive. all i'm saying is i understand why a woman would wear makeup but i don't see how it would make a man more attractive. i don't think that eyeliner and lipstick and nail polish make him such, i don't know if guys who do wear these things even do it to look more attractive.
Some guys look better with eyeliner.

Miriel
07-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Not once has it been suggested? I think you're very very wrong there. You can make up tons of excuses for the type of sex-related insults that exists, but nothing really changes the fact that in most instances, when a guy is linked to feminine qualities, it's done so to suggest that what they're doing is inferior.

As for the type of running you're suggesting, I honestly can't remember ever seeing a real girl run like that. On TV and in movies, sure. But in real life? I would probably remember seeing that since I'd probably laugh my but off to see someone running like that. And so, no, running like a girl is NOT inferior.

Loony BoB
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Wearing pink is girly because most guys don't wear pink.
But most guys don't wear pink because wearing pink is girly.
...? :confused:
It's a snowball effect but it's true, even if there isn't a decent reason for it. I think it stems more from how we're treated as children than anything - if you're a boy wearing pink to school at the age of seven or so, chances are you'll get bullied. Stupid, pathetic, etc. - but that's kids. Because of this, guys get it in their head that pink = bad as they grow up. Some get out of it, some don't, some just don't like to wear pink anyway. I don't really care to wear pink just like I don't care to wear orange - I just don't think it makes for a good colour of clothing.

I do still think it's a girly colour, though.

Not once has it been suggested? I think you're very very wrong there. You can make up tons of excuses for the type of sex-related insults that exists, but nothing really changes the fact that in most instances, when a guy is linked to feminine qualities, it's done so to suggest that what they're doing is inferior.
Well, I've never seen it that way.

As for the type of running you're suggesting, I honestly can't remember ever seeing a real girl run like that. On TV and in movies, sure. But in real life? I would probably remember seeing that since I'd probably laugh my but off to see someone running like that. And so, no, running like a girl is NOT inferior.
I've seen loads of girls run in this way. I don't laugh, though. It should be noted that it's not how they actually run if they were in a race or something. It's how they run when they see something they really want in a shop, or how they run when they see a moth (hi, Danielle :<3:</>). Sort of an 'excited run' thing? I dunno, but I know loads of girls that I've seen do it.

Rengori
07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Yeah, look at Panic! at the Disco.

Shauna
07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
"a thousand miles"

I assume that the song is "I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)", by The Proclaimers? And... I don't see how listening to that could ever be considered girly. xD I mean, it's just a song!

Loony BoB
07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't think listening to any kind of music can really be considered 'girly'. Especially not The Proclaimers.

Peegee
07-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Listening to boy bands makes you girly.

Now, I'm still looking for words that refer to females in the same semantic style as calling Psychotic 'gay' or a 'fairy'. I propose that no such words exists because women have developed a social amnesty to being called out for being 'unladylike'.

Old Manus
07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't think listening to any kind of music can really be considered 'girly'. Especially not The Proclaimers.Justin Timberlake

I'm looking at you, Doomie.

Iceglow
07-19-2007, 05:18 PM
"a thousand miles"

I assume that the song is "I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)", by The Proclaimers? And... I don't see how listening to that could ever be considered girly. xD I mean, it's just a song!

No I believe he means Michelle Branch's "A thousand miles" which is often considered very girly by the most masochistic of guys but then I'm hardly what I'd call "girly" (unless you count my vainity) I'm sure that listening to songs by Michelle Branch, Dido, Bryan Addams is not that girly...listening to something like Spice Girls is however and theres no excusing those guys.

Shauna
07-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Oh. xD Ah well. Whatever. ^_^; *doesn't listen to much music*

PyroManiak
07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
You're all wrong.

I was listening to "A thousand Miles" by Vanessa carlton

and I do listen to The proclaimes but no one I know would consider that song girly...maybe the "tadata" part?

BTW: That's my favorite part :)

Iceglow
07-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Ahhh sorry but yeah that was the song I was thinking of I just got confused on the artist...I don't see how that's girly music I quite like it (had to use facebook to remember what song it was) it was catchy and had that nice chilled out feel to it. Theres times and places for all types of music in life.

Araciel
07-20-2007, 12:42 AM

Yeah, look at Panic! at the Disco.

those guys don't look manly....owait is that the point of this thread?

who took my false teeth?!