PDA

View Full Version : M A N S O U R!

McLovin'
07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Half Life and Half Life 2 or Halo 1 and 2.

I want to know.
Which is a better game?
Halo When it First Came out or When Half Life First Came out?
(All Steam Made Games count as Half life such as counterstike etc.)

So basically which made a bigger impact when they first came out?

so halo or halflife that is the question?

Shoeberto
07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Half-life made a bigger impact in the world than Halo did in terms of design. The only thing Halo really did was tell a compelling story, as far as that goes.

The big accomplishment that Halo made was bringing large-scale comepetitive gaming to the masses. But I think that Half-life is still a bigger milestone in terms of how it shifted the paradigm of design for FPS games.

Necronopticous
07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Half Life 2 is the best single player first-person-shooter, and probably one of the best videogames ever made.

Dreddz
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Having just played and beaten Halo 1 and 2 ( preparing for 3 ) I'd have to say that the Half Life series is much superior. While I dont like Half Life 2 as much as others I do still feel that the original Half Life is one of the best FPS available on any console ( only second to Deus Ex ). Halo definately set the standards on how a modern FPS should be made, but I felt the level design was overly repetative in Halo and in various spots in its sequel. The story isnt as endearing as it was made out to be. Although the game definately kept the focus on action rather than taking breaks for stupid platform jumping, which plagued Half Life I admit and should be avoided in all FPS.

Shoeberto
07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Half Life 2 is the best single player first-person-shooter, and probably one of the best videogames ever made.
I was trying to be pretty neutral in my post, but yeah, it's one of the best games I've ever been lucky enough to experience.

Slothy
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
The story isnt as endearing as it was made out to be.

I always wondered if I was the only one who felt that way about Halo.

Half-Life definitely made the bigger impact. It was the first shooter that was more than straight forward action, and not only put you in the role of the character, but gave you a compelling story, and puzzles that required more than simply retreiving the blue key to open the blue door. Half-Life sparked a wave of immitators, and it's effect on the genre is still present to this day. No FPS since has had anywhere near the same impact on the genre.