PDA

View Full Version : E307 Silent hill 5

Nifleheim7
07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Ok i just discovered that my favourite survival horror series is being developed by a westen developer...:cry:
Another TPS maybe?
The teaser trailer was nothing special too.
YouTube - Silent Hill 5 E3 07 Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGl-t2iiMo)

Slothy
07-17-2007, 11:51 PM
This (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803855p1.html) article says it's not being developed in America, but rather, is an international effort. Not sure what that means, but perhaps it means a colaboration between the previous Silent Hill team and other developers in the west. Unless someone has seen an article that makes it clearer then I guess we'd have to wait until Konami decides to clarify this. The trailer shows nothing really, and the screen shots don't show much more than a visual style similar to previous games. That said, another SH is always good news.

LunarWeaver
07-18-2007, 12:03 AM
As long as they keep the map system and less reliance on illogical puzzles from four, yet ditch the item management and ghosts-kill-me-just-by-standing-here crap, I will be happy.

I was hoping for more from the teaser, but even just that intrigues me so much XD I love this series :/

Shiny
07-18-2007, 12:04 AM
That guy's voice sucks. Oh no. Hopefully the character, Alex is good... or bad in a good way. This is exciting either way.

Bolstered by Akira Yahmaoka's original soundtrack, Silent Hill 5 will feature a haunting score and sound effects.
Yay! His music is amazing. :)

Nifleheim7
07-18-2007, 12:09 AM
International colaboration may also mean that Konami Tokyo is producing the game and a third (western) party developes it.They may have Akira Yamaoka as producer and sound director (although not confirmed)but it still isn't enough for me...Silent Hill Origins is also developed by a western developer and it is a TPS...
I can't understand what was wrong with team silent especially the one that made SH2?
I'm all for change,but i just don't like where the SH series i think is going.

Dreddz
07-18-2007, 12:13 AM
With my interest in Resident Evil slowly dwinderling I have to cling onto Silent Hill as it seems its the only survival horror series I actually have a keen interest to continue playing. As for this game in particular, well Ill wait until I see some actual gameplay before I make a judgement. These types of teasers serve no point other than telling you the game is coming, which doesnt necessarily need a trailer to be honest.

Why does it seem that nowadays there is a huge lack of traditional survival horror games. Kinda disheartening to know that one of my favourite genres is dying out in the swamp of FPS's and action adventure titles.

Slothy
07-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Why does it seem that nowadays there is a huge lack of traditional survival horror games. Kinda disheartening to know that one of my favourite genres is dying out in the swamp of FPS's and action adventure titles.

I'd say RE4 probably helped in killing your traditional survival horror games. Not that RE was ever that scary, but seeing even a long time staple of the genre going in a totally new direction couldn't have helped things. That and the fact that many traditional horror games released in the last few years just weren't that good.

Shoeberto
07-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Ok i just discovered that my favourite survival horror series is being developed by a westen developer...:cry:

Yeah, the series is doomed. I mean, look what happened when Metroid was handed over to a western developer!

That guy's voice sucks. Oh no. Hopefully the character, Alex is good... or bad in a good way. This is exciting either way.
That VA definitely did suck. But this is probably super early without any VAs actually brought in - hopefully it was just a dev or advertising guy who had to get this teaser done in time, and not representative of what the final product will be.

Necronopticous
07-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Silent Hill 5 has been handed over to The Collective, a dev studio in California responsible for game titles such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and The Da Vinci Code.

It's pretty safe to say Silent Hill is in the wrong hands.

Dreddz
07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Silent Hill 5 has been handed over to The Collective, a dev studio in California responsible for game titles such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and The Da Vinci Code.

Words cant describe how gutted I am.

LunarWeaver
07-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Resident Evil didn't lose my interest at all. RE4 was exactly what it always should have been and one of the greatest games of all time.

RE was never really horror so much as survival-action from the very beginning. It's scare level was always pretty low, relying on a few BOO factors sprinkled throughout. I always thought of RE as being closer to movies such as Terminator 2 or Aliens, and Re4 was completely perfect. Keeping Resident Evil at a pseudo-horror level didn't serve any purpose other then to get boring after half a dozen titles and some change.

Silent Hill is different and has a fanbase for completely different reasons. I've never found comparing the two all that fair. However, it's not like Silent Hill doesn't need some refining. "Old-school" survival-horror is basically a point-and-click adventure done with really bad mechanics and dark environments. I don't find locked doors and holding down R2 to press X a few times per hour all that exciting, but that's just me.

Am I saying Silent Hill should go more action? Nah, I'm really not. It's not an action series, whereas RE always had that flexibility there with storylines revolving around trained professionals dealing with chemically mutated monsters (c'mon now). SH should stay rooted in the genre it's in.

But SH does need to refine the puzzles so they make more sense and give combat more of an interactive feel. With each entry, I find I'm playing them just for the story and inventive horror moments and not as an actual game. I don't feel like combining a strand of hair and fishing hook to get a key out of a vent so that I can melt a ball of wax with a lighter and attach it to a horseshoe to make a doorhandle ever again. SH gained popularity initially because it did many things that RE refused to do, such as unlimited saves, moving while shooting, and psychologically disturbing atmosphere and plots, but that's no longer such an impressive attribute-- they need to step up and make the games more involving to play and less clunky after four titles.

It's pretty safe to say Silent Hill is in the wrong hands.

D:?! I have some Untitled by Simple Plan to listen to now.

CimminyCricket
07-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Hopefully, this one doesn't suck.

Shoeberto
07-18-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm going to wait to pass judgment until they release something, y'know, substantial.

Slothy
07-18-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm going to wait to pass judgment until they release something, y'know, substantial.

Regardless of the developers pedigree, I think that's something we should all be able to agree on.

Just look at Traveller's Tales for example. They did a lot of games before Lego Star Wars. I'm not sure I'd classify any of them as good. A lot can change for a developer in a few years, and with the right titles. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one until we see more.

Shiny
07-18-2007, 04:13 AM

...Ew.

SH gained popularity initially because it did many things that RE refused to do, such as unlimited saves, moving while shooting, and psychologically disturbing atmosphere and plots
Well, I agree with that.

I think it would be good for them to change it up a bit which they did with Silent 4: The Room. But, I wouldn't want them to change too much, because that would destroy the essence of the series. Besides, I like my plots dark and my towns fogging. I'd hate for them to suddenly decide they want to redirect the series by placing the main character in a mansion. Eventhough that worked for RE.

Germ Hamee
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't really care who's developing it, as long as Akira Yamaoka's on board for one thing or another. Silent Hill Origins isn't being done by Team Silent, and looked like utter CRAP when the first videos were released. The game was refined, and now it looks good enough that I'm willing over to fork over money for a PSP specifically to play that game.

So hurrah for a new Silent Hill game.