PDA

View Full Version : spirts within

Limabean
07-18-2007, 06:35 AM
did anyone here like it? everyone i talk to says they hate it.

Elly
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
i absolutely loved it, as i had no preconceptions in my mind before seeing it i enjoyed it in a non-judgemental state (not comparing it to the game series), it was a solid piece of science fiction, my only complaint about it is it was too short, and it started in the middle of their hunt for spirits, i think it should have been longer or 2 movies so ppl didn't feel like they were being thrown into the middle of something with little to no explination untill a bit later when Cid starts explaining things to the soldiers... the fact that most ppl were expeting a movie version of FFVII or FFVIII (the BBSs back then were buzzing with such speculation during production) and when it turned out to be pure sci-fi the "jaded old-school purists" took it upon themselves to slam this great piece of sci-fi mercilessly and as a result not many have given it a fair shot, many judge it soly on what they have heard without ever watching the movie, and others stop watching it early like 30 minutes in and judge it on just the opening, ppl should give it a fair shot unless they really really don't like sci-fi...

Namelessfengir
07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
it was good
great graphics and a reasonable plot but i really hated the ending

Elpizo
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I expected FF and I got science-fiction. And I'm no big fan of science-fiction. As a science-fiction movie it was alright, as FF movie it was bad. Where was the black magic? The Chocobos? The Moogles? The summons? Swords and sorcery? Over-the-top Limit Breaks for that matter? Of all core elements that make a FF, I only found Sid to be present. The story was alright, now if they had just given it a FF feel, I would have loved it. Even Advent Children didn't feel that FF-ish to me, but it was a lot better than TSW (aside from the story) as a FF movie. I know people will disagree with me, but TSW had nothing that gave me the feeling of: "You're watching a Final Fantasy movie here!".

SE has screwed up enough already with FF movies. In a FF movie I'd like to see real pure fantasy, something like IX or IV or V. That would be great. Or why not make a movie of FF I? The story in that game is pretty simple and it would easily fit in a movie. Yeah, I actually like the sound of that idea.

Or even better: no more FF movies. TSW and AC both didn't deliver enough, I wouldn't have any hopes for a third movie.

Sorry for those that did like TSW, but for me it was the biggest disappointment I ever experienced with the series besides Final Fantasy VII.

Raebus
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Off topic but I thought Advent children was a train wreck of a movie, and I see movies as movies first hand and not "Oh look, its FINAL FANTASY in a movie". As for the spirits within, it was a good movie with a great story and a few characters I ended up caring for.

Zechs
07-19-2007, 06:11 AM
I quite enjoyed the movie. It was fresh and new, but short. It was good, and the sci-fi was awesome. With the bitter-sweet ending, it was all good in my opinion.
Though with lame third-party criticism it was doomed to fail. For those who were blinded by the 'Final Fantasy' titling, it would have been a better idea to make the 'The Spirits Within' sub-title the actual title.

Big D
07-20-2007, 07:58 AM
An enjoyable movie, but extremely limited and flawed. Nothing special, which I what I feel let it down the most. Just an attempt to make a CG copy of a generic Hollywood sci-fi action flick with some Japanese-style quasi-spiritual overtones.
They should have focussed on telling a great story; instead, they tried to prove that you can make something that's just the same as any other film , except using CGI instead of live action.

LunarWeaver
07-20-2007, 10:21 AM
I do not hate it or like it. I thought it was an average movie with interesting points but not enough of them to buy it. Like Big D said, it was just another sci-fi movie out to prove it could be pretty but ultimately the same.

For those who were blinded by the 'Final Fantasy' titling, it would have been a better idea to make the 'The Spirits Within' sub-title the actual title.

Yeah, pretty much. But I do not think people should be faulted for feeling slighted over it. It's entirely their right to be pissed they slapped the name on it and then it was something completely different. It's like naming a movie Metal Gear Solid with characters named Snake and Otacon and then the plot is about pink bunnies trying to find a lost rainbow. Fans have a right to be miffed over that.

Zechs
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
That may be, but since there was no info released or advertised to prove it was a typical Final Fantasy story, then it is pointless to assume that it's going to be a story of the like. Assumption is the problem. If there is no info to prove something then more than likely assuming otherwise will end in defeat.

CimminyCricket
07-21-2007, 05:58 AM
The animation was great, I just didn't like the story

Storm San
07-31-2007, 12:22 AM
It was a great movie,reminding me of other final fantasies,and other things (e.g. TSW the movie space odyssey by kubrick in a moment where the villain manually fires the cannon) Of course the gaia theme really reminded me of FFVII and especially its ending.A great movie indeed.Classic Sakaguchi :)

Markus. D
07-31-2007, 06:42 AM
It had a good plot!

Just not very good development upon characters.

But I <3ed it.

Baloki
08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/video-game-music-spirits-within/104510-spirits-within.html

Sam The Man
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
The Spirits Within, just like Advent Children, was square's way of saying "look, shiny!" They are both awesome movies, if ignore the plot. I don't watch them all the way through anymore, and just skip to the action sequences. Becuase they are just beautiful.

Roto13
08-07-2007, 07:17 AM
It was... so boring.....

Sam The Man
08-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, there's nothing we can do except use that godsend of technology, the fast forward button.